LTH Home

Slow's Bar-B-Q - Detroit

Slow's Bar-B-Q - Detroit
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Slow's Bar-B-Q - Detroit

Post #1 - October 6th, 2007, 10:54 am
    Post #1 - October 6th, 2007, 10:54 am Post #1 - October 6th, 2007, 10:54 am
    Being in Detroit, having had a taste for ribs, and having read mostly positive reviews of Slow's, I decided to try it this week.

I ordered a combination platter of St. Louis pork spareribs and Texas-style brisket. I also tried three sides -- waffle fries, mac & cheese and cornbread. Overall, I was somewhat disappointed with Slow's.

On the night I dined at Slow's, the place was packed. Slow's is casual, but nonetheless a little more upscale than your typical bbq place. There are tables both inside and outside and I dined outside. The outside dining area is a nice patio, with a wall blocking access from the street. And this was a beautiful evening to be dining outside.

Unfortunately, the food did not quite measure up. Slow's uses a Southern Pride smoker (don't know which model). The St. Louis pork spareribs had a nice smoke flavor, but were overcooked and quite dry. The brisket was also pretty dry, despite the fair amount of fat. I was a little surprised by the dryness of the meats -- I figured that a packed house would lead to fresher bbq, but not tonight. At least the flavor was good.

I did like the array of sauces at Slow's which are available in squeeze bottles -- an eastern North Carolina sauce, a spicy sauce, a sweet sauce, a sweet sauce with apple and a mustard bbq sauce. The NC sauce had a very healthy dose of red pepper and was my favorite, although I also liked the match of the apple bbq sauce with the smoke from the meats.

As for sides, again pretty disappointing. The mac & cheese was very dry, and not much cheese except the crusty layer on top. The cornbread needed salt -- it was extremely bland. At least the waffle fries were nice and crisp.

As for the dry bbq, since is the only time I've dined at Slow's, I could not tell you whether this is standard fare.

Slow's Bar-B-Q
    2138 Michigan Avenue
    Detroit, Michigan 48216
    313-962-9828

edited to include address and contact info
  • Post #2 - August 23rd, 2009, 10:10 pm
    Post #2 - August 23rd, 2009, 10:10 pm Post #2 - August 23rd, 2009, 10:10 pm
    We were driving my friend back to Chicago w/us after a wedding in Detroit. She insisted on going to Slow's for lunch today, even though she is a recent vegetarian and ate there just yesterday! If it was good enough for her to return for lunch 2 days in a row, I figured it must be good. My b/f and I ordered the Yardbird, the Longhorn, green beans, and mac & cheese. I rarely order chicken when dining out, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Yardbird. The Yardbird is a sandwich filled with shredded chicken in a mustard marinade, cheddar cheese, bacon and mushrooms. I didn't really care for the cheddar cheese on this sandwich. I didn't notice the mushrooms, but my b/f insists they were there. I did not find the chicken to be drenched in mustard sauce as described, but it was enough to be very tasty. I dipped the edge of my texas toast in the apple bbq sauce, and I liked it. The apple flavoring was pronounced but not overwhelming.
    Image Image

Like BR, I found the brisket in the Longhorn to be dry despite it being on the fatty side. I also agree in that the mac & cheese was dry, and the shells were overcooked. I preferred the version I made based on the NYT blog last winter. The green beans were prepared differently than anything I've ever had. They were sauced in spicy ground mustard marinade with some onions. This was really flavorful. The beans were cooked nicely and tasted fresh.
    Image Image

My friend loves the genius sandwich, a vegetarian "chicken." I didn't get to try it, but it was good enough for her to order it two days in a row.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more