LTH Home

Fire at Elephant Thai

Fire at Elephant Thai
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Fire at Elephant Thai

Post #1 - March 19th, 2017, 8:54 pm
    Post #1 - March 19th, 2017, 8:54 pm Post #1 - March 19th, 2017, 8:54 pm
    GNR Elephant Thai suffered a fire tonight.

Chicago Tribune wrote:Firefighters are battling a blaze at a restaurant in the Edgebrook neighborhood Sunday night on the Northwest Side.

No one has been injured or rescued, according to Chicago Fire Dept. Cmdr. Curtis Hudson.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html

Details are still sketchy, we'll probably find out more in the morning.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #2 - March 19th, 2017, 10:20 pm
    Post #2 - March 19th, 2017, 10:20 pm Post #2 - March 19th, 2017, 10:20 pm
    Maybe this was added after you posted article originally, but it doesn't sound good.

From that same article:

Chicago Fire Deputy District Chief John Shehan said investigators were on the scene late Sunday digging for a cause of the fire. They believe the fire started between the restaurant and the beauty salon.

The salon was damaged by the fire and the vacant business had minimal damage.

Shehan, who was one of the first responders on the scene, said he knows the eatery was closed Sunday because it is one of his favorites.

"It's one of my favorite places, and I know the owners," he said. "A lot of damage to their place. They are going to be out of luck for awhile."
  • Post #3 - March 20th, 2017, 9:46 am
    Post #3 - March 20th, 2017, 9:46 am Post #3 - March 20th, 2017, 9:46 am
    I just walked by, viewed what I could of Elephant (still several CFD in front, unclear if investigators or what). The front room didn't seem too damaged. All the tables & chairs appeared fine.
  • Post #4 - March 20th, 2017, 3:02 pm
    Post #4 - March 20th, 2017, 3:02 pm Post #4 - March 20th, 2017, 3:02 pm
    I ordered take-out from Elephant Thai for the family. Bill was about $60.00. I asked for 4 of the little hot chili sauces that come in 1oz plastic suffle cups. The owner wanted me to buy a bottle of hot sauce for $3.50. I told her without the hot sauce she could keep the food and I would go elsewhere. Owners son very rude as well. And lets not forget the 4 top near the counter that's always reserved (owners booth). I've never seen anyone sit there !! She probably had that booth cordoned off with police tape so the fire dept couldn't get anywhere near it.
    Food is good (not great), portions small, management petty and rude - makes me wonder
    why Elephant Thai is a GNR. There are better Thai restaurants in Chicago.
  • Post #5 - March 20th, 2017, 7:06 pm
    Post #5 - March 20th, 2017, 7:06 pm Post #5 - March 20th, 2017, 7:06 pm
    jay2021 wrote:I ordered take-out from Elephant Thai for the family. Bill was about $60.00. I asked for 4 of the little hot chili sauces that come in 1oz plastic suffle cups. The owner wanted me to buy a bottle of hot sauce for $3.50. I told her without the hot sauce she could keep the food and I would go elsewhere. Owners son very rude as well. And lets not forget the 4 top near the counter that's always reserved (owners booth). I've never seen anyone sit there !! She probably had that booth cordoned off with police tape so the fire dept couldn't get anywhere near it.
    Food is good (not great), portions small, management petty and rude - makes me wonder

This is a salty ass thing to post the day this business caught on fire. Shade on shade on shade.
  • Post #6 - March 20th, 2017, 7:34 pm
    Post #6 - March 20th, 2017, 7:34 pm Post #6 - March 20th, 2017, 7:34 pm
    dagrassroots wrote:
    jay2021 wrote:I ordered take-out from Elephant Thai for the family. Bill was about $60.00. I asked for 4 of the little hot chili sauces that come in 1oz plastic suffle cups. The owner wanted me to buy a bottle of hot sauce for $3.50. I told her without the hot sauce she could keep the food and I would go elsewhere. Owners son very rude as well. And lets not forget the 4 top near the counter that's always reserved (owners booth). I've never seen anyone sit there !! She probably had that booth cordoned off with police tape so the fire dept couldn't get anywhere near it.

This is a salty ass thing to post the day this business caught on fire. Shade on shade on shade.

Hear, hear.

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #7 - March 20th, 2017, 8:12 pm
    Post #7 - March 20th, 2017, 8:12 pm Post #7 - March 20th, 2017, 8:12 pm
    dagrassroots

Thanks for that slap
    It was a terrible time to vent and I let my frustrations with this place get the better of me.
    I will be removing my post.
  • Post #8 - March 20th, 2017, 8:20 pm
    Post #8 - March 20th, 2017, 8:20 pm Post #8 - March 20th, 2017, 8:20 pm
    jay2021 wrote:dagrassroots

Thanks for that slap
    It was a terrible time to vent and I let my frustrations with this place get the better of me.
    I will be removing my post.

No need. We're all human and errors in judgment happen. I've done the exact same thing here in the past. Let's just move on.

Thanks,

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #9 - August 20th, 2017, 1:05 pm
    Post #9 - August 20th, 2017, 1:05 pm Post #9 - August 20th, 2017, 1:05 pm
    Update? Does anyone know if they are still working towards re-opening?
  • Post #10 - August 21st, 2017, 8:02 am
    Post #10 - August 21st, 2017, 8:02 am Post #10 - August 21st, 2017, 8:02 am
    LynnB wrote:Update? Does anyone know if they are still working towards re-opening?

The Chow Poodle ran into Ann at the Grocery store a couple weeks ago. She said that they were definitely planning to reopen, but are waiting for some insurance details to get worked out.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #11 - August 21st, 2017, 11:11 am
    Post #11 - August 21st, 2017, 11:11 am Post #11 - August 21st, 2017, 11:11 am
    Thanks for the information, Steve! We are moving to the neighborhood in September and are looking forward to being regulars upon her reopening.
  • Post #12 - March 21st, 2018, 4:05 am
    Post #12 - March 21st, 2018, 4:05 am Post #12 - March 21st, 2018, 4:05 am
    Elephant Thai is reopen!

The bride and I had the pleasure of Steve Z and the Chow Poodle's company first day back, busy would be understatement. Full restaurant, lines out the door for takeout, they are (smartly) holding off a few weeks on delivery, and fully staffed including Ann's husband and son.

As busy as they were, think paczki day at a Polish bakery, there were no bobbles, everyone happy and smiling and on the plate exactly as remembered, in other words terrific.

Happy to have Elephant Thai Back. As an aside, the Chocolate Shoppe, a few doors East, makes for a terrific 1 - 2 punch.

Elephant Thai, Count me a Fan!

New address:
    5353 W Devon
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #13 - September 1st, 2018, 7:46 am
    Post #13 - September 1st, 2018, 7:46 am Post #13 - September 1st, 2018, 7:46 am
    We had an enjoyable lunch here this week. Everything was fresh and flavorful just as it was in the previous location. I also indulged in a delicious Thai iced tea.

The ongoing and delayed construction project in downtown Edgebrook has been damaging to the businesses along the strip. If you are a fan of The Elephant and/or The Chocolate Shoppe please make an effort to patronize them despite the traffic issues. There is also a Block Party to support the area businesses today from noon-6pm with live music, kids activities, shopping deals, and food in the Devon/Central area.
  • Post #14 - September 1st, 2018, 8:21 am
    Post #14 - September 1st, 2018, 8:21 am Post #14 - September 1st, 2018, 8:21 am
    Nam sod was excellent earlier this week. Moo ping was much better than usual. Still the best Thai on the NW side imho.
  • Post #15 - March 15th, 2019, 6:43 am
    Post #15 - March 15th, 2019, 6:43 am Post #15 - March 15th, 2019, 6:43 am
    Elephant Thai continues to wow the Edgebrook neighborhood and beyond post fire. The bride and I are regulars partly proximity, mostly delicious food. Highlight from a recent meal included punchy laab and Thai style crab fried rice with real crab, two perfectly cooked eggs, prik nam pla (by request) and limes (not pictured)

ETP1.jpg Crab fried rice

Elephant Thai, Count me a Fan!!
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles