LTH Home

Yet more awful fast food!!

Yet more awful fast food!!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - July 6th, 2007, 10:54 pm
    Post #61 - July 6th, 2007, 10:54 pm Post #61 - July 6th, 2007, 10:54 pm
    There used to be a Checkers at North and Austin.

My bride is fond of hotdogs and that was the order of the day. They were a bit more seasoned than a standard dog and they had square ends. I always imagined them being shipped on a spool. :)

I had the Chili Dog and it was exactly bun length and the chili was Coney Style.

Not bad at all. I would get another...
  • Post #62 - July 6th, 2007, 11:02 pm
    Post #62 - July 6th, 2007, 11:02 pm Post #62 - July 6th, 2007, 11:02 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:My experience with Checkers was their Addison and Western Avenue location. In the late 80's early 90's, if I ate my burger immediately, then I liked it a lot. If I bought, then waited until I got to my Grandfather's at Addison and Kedzie approximately, then it was plain awful. There was something about a Checker's burger not traveling very well.

I did find their buildings pretty slick looking. I like them much better than the burgers.

That one on Western across from Waveland Bowl was my main source of Three-for-All combo meals and those wonderfully hot fries. I also happened on the Checkers on Devon and Sheridan/Broadway near Loyola on a few occasions, but the one by Lane was my main outpost for good cheap burgers at the time. My experience was likely enhanced, of course, by eating either standing at the minimal counter space inside, sitting at one of the Checkers tables outside, or somewhere within easy walking distance of the double drive-thru. I didn't use the drive-thru much in my experience, so it's hard for me to comment on the food's staying power. All I remember is getting blazing-hot fries during the lunch rush and eating them straight out of the bag once I got 'em. Yum! :P

Thanks for the memories,
    Dan
  • Post #63 - July 6th, 2007, 11:43 pm
    Post #63 - July 6th, 2007, 11:43 pm Post #63 - July 6th, 2007, 11:43 pm
    I was wrong on the Waffle House in Michigan right off of 94, the town isn't Lawrence but rather Watervliet (looks like a misspelling doesn't it?).

The chicken tenders at Chik Fil'A are outstanding, and they have about 5 different sauces you can switch back and forth from (buffalo, bbq, honey mustard, polynesian, and the 5th one is slipping my mind). We often order them by the tray for tailgate parties and they are a major league hit every time (and very reasonably priced).
  • Post #64 - July 7th, 2007, 8:01 am
    Post #64 - July 7th, 2007, 8:01 am Post #64 - July 7th, 2007, 8:01 am
    TonySpilotro wrote:I was wrong on the Waffle House in Michigan right off of 94, the town isn't Lawrence but rather Watervliet (looks like a misspelling doesn't it?).

I keep a collection of menus and an excel sheet with the pertinent contact information. Waffle House menus indicates they are in Lawrence, MI. Not Lawrenceville - which I have corrected everywhere it was mis-stated. I think I merged Lawrence with Collinsville, IL in my mind. Collinsville, outside of St. Louis, was the only known Waffle House in Illinois for many years. There is now a second in Granite City, IL in the same vicinity.

TonySpilotro wrote:The chicken tenders at Chik Fil'A are outstanding, and they have about 5 different sauces you can switch back and forth from (buffalo, bbq, honey mustard, polynesian, and the 5th one is slipping my mind). We often order them by the tray for tailgate parties and they are a major league hit every time (and very reasonably priced).

I checked the Chik Fil'A website to find the Racine location placed in a mall:

Regency Mall
    Tom Cutts - Unit #246
    5812 Durand Avenue
    Racine, WI 53406
    262/554-5009

One of the these days I will get there.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #65 - July 7th, 2007, 8:32 am
    Post #65 - July 7th, 2007, 8:32 am Post #65 - July 7th, 2007, 8:32 am
    I think there is a Chick-fil-a near Rockford. It seems like when we were coming home from Galena we saw a sign for one.
    The clown is down!
  • Post #66 - July 7th, 2007, 9:55 am
    Post #66 - July 7th, 2007, 9:55 am Post #66 - July 7th, 2007, 9:55 am
    fastfoodsnob wrote:
    Artie wrote:I never knew they were the same as Checkers. There's one in South Holland and several in NW Indiana although for some reason they all don't come up on their website.

Which web site are you checking? The one I linked to earlier gives me the Rally's restaurants in South Holland, Hammond, and Gary in a 50-mile radius from the 60618 zip code (AKA the Addison 'n' Western intersection in Chicago). The only thing is that Rally's doesn't seem to have a dedicated online domain of its own and has to share corporate space with Checkers on

I'm pretty sure there's a Rallys on Indianapolis Blvd in Hammond,that doesn't show up on that site. It does show up here http://hammondin.areaconnect.com/restaurants/ I also think there might be one in East Chicago but I may have it confused with another chain since it's been a long time since I was around there and FAIK it may have just closed up.
    I used to eat at the Checkers on Addison & Halsted across from the police station. I always liked their burgers.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more