LTH Home

San Soo Gap San

San Soo Gap San
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - July 26th, 2014, 3:39 am
    Post #61 - July 26th, 2014, 3:39 am Post #61 - July 26th, 2014, 3:39 am
    My expereince at the Morton Grove location mirrors the above somewhat.
    The gas grill with a few pieces of charcoal doesn't compare to charcoal only cooking.
    I will drive the further distance for me to the original location.-Dick
  • Post #62 - February 6th, 2015, 12:12 pm
    Post #62 - February 6th, 2015, 12:12 pm Post #62 - February 6th, 2015, 12:12 pm
    Stopped for a mildly late night Soondubu, surprised by the remodel job. Open interior and one can actually look in the windows.

Soondubu, San Soo Gab San on Western Ave

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #63 - March 20th, 2016, 12:00 pm
    Post #63 - March 20th, 2016, 12:00 pm Post #63 - March 20th, 2016, 12:00 pm
    Yep, I certainly appreciate the remodeled SSGS on Western Ave, even though I still walk out smelling like I've been bbq'd. For me though, it's the panchan that keeps me coming back. Don't get me wrong, the meat's perfectly fine, I like their kalbi seasoning, and enjoy grilling over live charcoal. But if I'm mostly concerned about the meat and meat quality, I might choose Gogi.

But how can you possibly ignore the unique, varied and extensive selection of panchan at SSGS. Is there a Korean restaurant in Chicago that offers anything close to this selection? I'm not aware of any such place. But solid bbq (and other offerings), live charcoal and mostly the amazing panchan ensures that I'll keep returning to SSGS and leaving a happy (and stuffed) customer.

Panchan at San Soo Gab San
  • Post #64 - February 15th, 2017, 11:59 am
    Post #64 - February 15th, 2017, 11:59 am Post #64 - February 15th, 2017, 11:59 am
    Lunch time at Morton Grove last week was really annoying. Overworked, understaffed service made the experience unpleasant and, if you actually have a job, just about impossible because of how long the lunch took. If I ever go there again for lunch during the week, I'll be sure to get there right when they open.

Foodwise, only a smattering of mediocre banchan were served. The tabletop burners do seem to hold more charcoal than they used to but both the kalbi and bulgogi we ordered were cooked entirely in the kitchen, though the burners at other tables were in use. Perhaps this is because we ordered 'lunch special' versions of these dishes. It was not entirely clear. The highlight was my very tasty bowl of KahmJa Tahng but considering what I had to endure to get it, I'm not sure it was worth it. Two examples: our waters were never refilled once, and I burned 90 minutes of my day in the restaurant.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #65 - February 15th, 2017, 12:38 pm
    Post #65 - February 15th, 2017, 12:38 pm Post #65 - February 15th, 2017, 12:38 pm
    Petite Gourmande, Less Is More and I had a pretty terrific dinner at the Western location a few weeks ago.

First, I've never had so many different banchan anywhere--it didn't fit on the table--and was replenished constantly.

We also ordered a couple of new (to us) items--a beef selection--Joo Mul Luk (Rib eye mini steak) and the Hae Naeng Myun, a raw seafood with cold noodles. Both were terrific.

And in case you haven't visited lately, the interior has been completed gut rehabbed--much cleaner, more industrial feel. But the improvement in service is really the best part aspect of the remodel.

Happy to experience SSGS firing on all cylinders!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #66 - February 15th, 2017, 1:14 pm
    Post #66 - February 15th, 2017, 1:14 pm Post #66 - February 15th, 2017, 1:14 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Happy to experience SSGS firing on all cylinders!

Yes, the Western Avenue location remains infinitely superior to Morton Grove. Same as it ever was.

=R=
  • Post #67 - February 16th, 2017, 8:40 am
    Post #67 - February 16th, 2017, 8:40 am Post #67 - February 16th, 2017, 8:40 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Lunch time at Morton Grove last week was really annoying. Overworked, understaffed service made the experience unpleasant and, if you actually have a job, just about impossible because of how long the lunch took. If I ever go there again for lunch during the week, I'll be sure to get there right when they open.

Never done lunch there, but dinners have had stellar, almost too-attentive service (probably helps that we tend to dine early). They are very fussy about whether you get to use the on-table burner: two or more guests must order BBQ dishes that use the burner (a few of the specials don't). Banchan always plentiful.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #68 - February 16th, 2017, 9:05 am
    Post #68 - February 16th, 2017, 9:05 am Post #68 - February 16th, 2017, 9:05 am
    JoelF wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Lunch time at Morton Grove last week was really annoying. Overworked, understaffed service made the experience unpleasant and, if you actually have a job, just about impossible because of how long the lunch took. If I ever go there again for lunch during the week, I'll be sure to get there right when they open.

Never done lunch there, but dinners have had stellar, almost too-attentive service (probably helps that we tend to dine early). They are very fussy about whether you get to use the on-table burner: two or more guests must order BBQ dishes that use the burner (a few of the specials don't). Banchan always plentiful.

My lunch experiences in MG echo Ronnie's. Service almost to the point of racist disregard.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #69 - February 24th, 2017, 3:31 am
    Post #69 - February 24th, 2017, 3:31 am Post #69 - February 24th, 2017, 3:31 am
    stevez wrote:
    JoelF wrote:

My lunch experiences in MG echo Ronnie's. Service almost to the point of racist disregard.

What about it was racist?
  • Post #70 - February 24th, 2017, 10:17 am
    Post #70 - February 24th, 2017, 10:17 am Post #70 - February 24th, 2017, 10:17 am
    Rocky419 wrote:What about it was racist?

My experience wasn't racist. It was definitely equal-opportunity lousy service. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #71 - February 24th, 2017, 10:46 am
    Post #71 - February 24th, 2017, 10:46 am Post #71 - February 24th, 2017, 10:46 am
    I had a conversation with June, the owner/bartender across the street at BDG Gastropub about the ladies at San Soo Gap San, where I commented about how crabby and unfriendly they are. His opinion is that the 'aunties' at SSGS are crabby with everybody, Korean or not.

I've had similar 'service' at the Western Ave. location, as well.

OTOH, I've gotten very friendly service at whatever Dempster Ave. storefront Korean I've ever walked into.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #72 - February 24th, 2017, 11:10 am
    Post #72 - February 24th, 2017, 11:10 am Post #72 - February 24th, 2017, 11:10 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Rocky419 wrote:What about it was racist?

My experience wasn't racist. It was definitely equal-opportunity lousy service. :wink:

=R=

In my case, all of the Korean occupied tables around me got decent service while I was completely ignored. I had to flag down a manager to even get a glass of water. When the banchan came, I got only three selections, while other tables got a full compliment of goodies. Was this racist? I don't know, but I do know that my service sucked and seemed to be not as good as most of the other tables around me.

Having said that, I have found the service at the Western Ave. flagship to be much better, including at lunch yesterday. I've completely written off the Niles location, but Western Ave. continues in my regular rotation.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #73 - February 24th, 2017, 12:44 pm
    Post #73 - February 24th, 2017, 12:44 pm Post #73 - February 24th, 2017, 12:44 pm
    I used the Western Ave. location for my budae jjigae comparison article http://www.lthforum.com/2015/09/a-big-bowl-of-wrong-or-right/ and as stated in the piece the waitstaff was funny/surly, almost like a Korean Ed Debevic's. They get it.

At the Morton Grove location, I've usually been there at off times, and service is fair--quick but very impersonal. Food still darn good. I'll say one thing--ventilation is a ton better in Morton Grove. Western Ave. makes my clothes smell.
  • Post #74 - February 25th, 2017, 10:11 am
    Post #74 - February 25th, 2017, 10:11 am Post #74 - February 25th, 2017, 10:11 am
    Giovanna wrote:I had a conversation with June, the owner/bartender across the street at BDG Gastropub about the ladies at San Soo Gap San, where I commented about how crabby and unfriendly they are. His opinion is that the 'aunties' at SSGS are crabby with everybody, Korean or not.

I've had similar 'service' at the Western Ave. location, as well.

In their defense, have you seen what their job entails? At least at the Western location, they seem to be racing nonstop through several unbearably hot, smoky rooms while being barked at by drunken patrons. If I had to do that for even a day, I might turn a bit surly, too. Hell, I'm plenty surly now and I do none of that.
  • Post #75 - February 25th, 2017, 7:09 pm
    Post #75 - February 25th, 2017, 7:09 pm Post #75 - February 25th, 2017, 7:09 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    In their defense, have you seen what their job entails? At least at the Western location, they seem to be racing nonstop through several unbearably hot, smoky rooms while being barked at by drunken patrons.

I understand what you're saying. However, I'm confident that the times I've been to either location were at lunch time, when the place wasn't full and no-one was noticeably drunk.

I strive to be a good customer: be decisive, say 'please' and 'thank you', tip reasonably. At times, I dine alone [like lunch during the working day], and I am certain that a lone female diner does not always get good service.

cilantro wrote: If I had to do that for even a day, I might turn a bit surly, too. Hell, I'm plenty surly now and I do none of that.

Oh, amen, my brother. Me, too.
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #76 - February 26th, 2017, 6:48 am
    Post #76 - February 26th, 2017, 6:48 am Post #76 - February 26th, 2017, 6:48 am
    My experience between the two locations leads me to conclude that one is frequented by a predominately Korean Clientel and one is frequented by a mixed clientel. Guess which is which and which one has better ambiance and service?
    At the Morton Grove location, I felt an outsider but at the Western location, one of the family!-Richard
  • Post #77 - September 7th, 2017, 7:56 pm
    Post #77 - September 7th, 2017, 7:56 pm Post #77 - September 7th, 2017, 7:56 pm
    I hit the Morton Grove location for dinner tonight. Tried the Yum Soh Tahng for the first time. Plenty of tender goat meat in a mild curry stew. Some bitter greens and high-grade toasted sesame seeds added some good complexity. My friend's seafood pancake was less greasy than one I had at lunch earlier this year. Banchan were well executed.
    I have always had brusque service here at lunch, but tonight our main server actually smiled and took good care of us.
    A very satisfying visit.
  • Post #78 - September 9th, 2017, 5:52 pm
    Post #78 - September 9th, 2017, 5:52 pm Post #78 - September 9th, 2017, 5:52 pm
    I grabbed dinner as a singleton while in the area of the Western location yesterday, after the Oktoberfest in Lincoln Square. If you eat as a singleton, they certainly skimp on the banchan, specifically in the variety offered, as evidenced by other tables. I've had this problem with other Korean restaurants, even while dining with others; insipid potato salad always finds its way to me, while another table gets the braised eggplants or seasonal squash. I suppose I could have asked for more, but given the very brusque attitude, and my inability to articulate in an efficient manner precisely which specific banchan I saw from other tables I would want specifically (I forgot the word kongjang for soy-braised black soybeans), I did not bother. Altogether it was a somewhat disappointing meal. It wasn't exactly bad but it didn't quite hit the spot.
  • Post #79 - September 22nd, 2017, 7:15 am
    Post #79 - September 22nd, 2017, 7:15 am Post #79 - September 22nd, 2017, 7:15 am
    One of Chicago’s premier Korean barbecues is opening a downtown location, as San Soo Gab San is coming to River West.

https://chicago.eater.com/2017/9/21/163 ... angry-crab
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #80 - January 6th, 2018, 2:07 pm
    Post #80 - January 6th, 2018, 2:07 pm Post #80 - January 6th, 2018, 2:07 pm
    San Soo Korean BBQ should open sometime this summer at 401 N. Milwaukee Avenue.

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/1/5/1685 ... ron-closed
  • Post #81 - January 7th, 2018, 10:26 am
    Post #81 - January 7th, 2018, 10:26 am Post #81 - January 7th, 2018, 10:26 am
    Just as long as they continue their "Banchan"- assault
    .......and the prices stay "reasonable"-
    it'll be less a drive for many.
    (although- parking there- is pretty much non-existent) :roll:
  • Post #82 - June 15th, 2018, 1:54 pm
    Post #82 - June 15th, 2018, 1:54 pm Post #82 - June 15th, 2018, 1:54 pm
    "A funny thing happened last time I went to San Soo Gab San . . ."

I cannot count the number of times I've heard someone say this or something similar. It's one of the wackiest, quirkiest places in town. I know people who've abruptly been asked to leave without ever learning why. Other friends tell me they've been yelled at by staffers with little or no provocation. There are, seemingly, endless stories.

At my most recent visit, earlier this week, we were asked to change tables in the middle of our meal. Everyone was certainly nice about it, and the fact that they comped one of our appetizers made up for the fact that all the food already on our plates was 'lost at sea' in the move. 'Just roll with it,' my family advised. :lol:

Nevertheless, at the end of the day their food is consistently great, which makes dealing with the oddities tolerable. While this is not my favorite banchan, it is no-doubt the most plentiful in town, and the vast array is highlighted by many tasty selections . . .

Banchan @ San Soo Gab San on Western

In addition to the above, we also enjoyed the Kal Bi and Bulgogi cooked over what has to be one of the last remaining Korean Live-Coal-BBQ spots in town. Rounding out our menu were reliably excellent versions of fried mhandu, seafood pahjun, chop chae and a not-so-great bowl of Soon Tofu Zigae (hey, you can't win 'em all).

All in all, this is still my favorite place in Chicagoland for Korean BBQ. As with so many places, weeknight dining is the key to getting seated right away and parking, though you never know when you might be asked to change tables. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #83 - June 15th, 2018, 4:43 pm
    Post #83 - June 15th, 2018, 4:43 pm Post #83 - June 15th, 2018, 4:43 pm
    While this is not my favorite banchan, it is no-doubt the most plentiful in town ...

Which banchan are your favorite (in Chicago)?
    The best food is well-spiced and well-fattened.
  • Post #84 - June 16th, 2018, 2:48 pm
    Post #84 - June 16th, 2018, 2:48 pm Post #84 - June 16th, 2018, 2:48 pm
    R_R wrote:
    While this is not my favorite banchan, it is no-doubt the most plentiful in town ...

Which banchan are your favorite (in Chicago)?

I used to love the banchan Cho Jung in Glenview but since the ownership change, I stopped going there and I suspect that the banchan have fallen off like so many other dishes there have.

My current favorites are New Seoul in Desplaines, So Dong Gong in Glenview (a mini-chain where, unfortunately, the banchan are their best offering) and within the city, I think they're great at Chicago Kalbi on Lawrence.

None of these places come close in quantity to SSGS but I often find the flavors more assertive and the textures a bit more snappy. Do you have any favorites?

=R=

New Seoul
    638 W Algonquin Rd
    Des Plaines, IL 60016
    (847) 439-3720

So Dong Gong
    1615 Milwaukee Ave
    Glenview, IL 60025
    (847) 257-7394

Chicago Kalbi
    3752 W Lawrence Ave
    Chicago, IL 60625
    (773) 604-8183
  • Post #85 - June 16th, 2018, 5:17 pm
    Post #85 - June 16th, 2018, 5:17 pm Post #85 - June 16th, 2018, 5:17 pm
    Had a good meal there a couple weeks ago. Same as it ever was.
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #86 - June 16th, 2018, 9:24 pm
    Post #86 - June 16th, 2018, 9:24 pm Post #86 - June 16th, 2018, 9:24 pm
    Do you have any favorites?

I recall the banchan at Da Rae Jung (Lincoln and Foster) quite fondly; they were undoubtedly the highlight of the meal. I hear great things about the banchan at Ban Po Chung (Kimball and Foster), but haven't made it out there yet.
    The best food is well-spiced and well-fattened.
  • Post #87 - June 21st, 2018, 7:12 am
    Post #87 - June 21st, 2018, 7:12 am Post #87 - June 21st, 2018, 7:12 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    One of Chicago’s premier Korean barbecues is opening a downtown location, as San Soo Gab San is coming to River West.

https://chicago.eater.com/2017/9/21/163 ... angry-crab

The downtown iteration of San Soo Gab San, the only Michelin Bib Gourmand-rated Korean barbecue restaurant in Chicago, is targeted to open the first week of July in River West.

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/6/20/174 ... -july-date
  • Post #88 - June 22nd, 2018, 8:04 am
    Post #88 - June 22nd, 2018, 8:04 am Post #88 - June 22nd, 2018, 8:04 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:It's one of the wackiest, quirkiest places in town. I know people who've abruptly been asked to leave without ever learning why. Other friends tell me they've been yelled at by staffers with little or no provocation. There are, seemingly, endless stories.

I'll add that SSGS has been an excellent place to bring our two little kids (as long as we keep them away from the BBQ!). The wait staff dotes over them. Kids love the banchan all over the table.
  • Post #89 - August 12th, 2021, 7:19 pm
    Post #89 - August 12th, 2021, 7:19 pm Post #89 - August 12th, 2021, 7:19 pm
    SSGS on Western is one of the places about which I dreamt during the pandemic. I really missed it and could not wait to get back. And dinner tonight did not disappoint. Virtually impossible to document efficiently, hopefully this sole picture tells the story of our meal . . .

San Soo Gab San

Yes! :D

=R=
  • Post #90 - August 13th, 2021, 7:04 am
    Post #90 - August 13th, 2021, 7:04 am Post #90 - August 13th, 2021, 7:04 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:SSGS on Western is one of the places about which I dreamt during the pandemic. I really missed it and could not wait to get back. And dinner tonight did not disappoint. Virtually impossible to document efficiently, hopefully this sole picture tells the story of our meal . . .

Remind me to invest in their bowl supplier.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more