LTH Home

Hackney's Burgers

Hackney's Burgers
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 3
  • Hackney's Burgers

Post #1 - August 11th, 2004, 7:41 pm
    Post #1 - August 11th, 2004, 7:41 pm Post #1 - August 11th, 2004, 7:41 pm
    Anyone have any thoughts about Hackney's?

I've been for lunch several times and left very under-whelmed. My friends say they love it, but the meat (while of good quality) is flavorless, the fries stink, and it is pricey.

I had a buffalo bugger (trying it to see if it is better than their beef) with cheese - $9.25.

And nothing special.

Any other thoughts on the place? Am I just missing something?
  • Post #2 - August 11th, 2004, 8:51 pm
    Post #2 - August 11th, 2004, 8:51 pm Post #2 - August 11th, 2004, 8:51 pm
    Hackney's is less about the food (especially the burgers) and more the atmosphere and "vibe" nowadays. And at the Glenview Lake Street location, there is a lot to be said for the atmosphere, especially on a Sunday afternoon around the big, oval bar in the middle of the rats' warren of rooms that makes up that place. My observation is that Hackney's is more of a cultural touchstone and meeting spot for North Shore Catholic families than it is a great place for burgers or chow in general (and though I've only been watching that shift for about 13 years, I'm convinced it's there). And this notion of mine has been confirmed by others; not just making that up.
  • Post #3 - August 12th, 2004, 6:06 am
    Post #3 - August 12th, 2004, 6:06 am Post #3 - August 12th, 2004, 6:06 am
    spa_girl wrote:Anyone have any thoughts about Hackney's?

My thoughts about Hackney's:

It's definintely a nostalgia place for me. I grew up going in big groups (usually birthdays) to the Harms or Lake locations.

Nowadays, their burgers are so-so, slightly above average. I do like the fact that they offer the burger on dark rye bread, which not enough places do.

As a kid, and even now, the big draw has been the fried onion loaf: onion strings packed into a fryer basket and deep fried. The resulting loaf of onions is served whole. You get two different kinds of onions in this: crispy outside and softer inside. It's a Hackney's signature and has always been a tasty/fun treat for the table, as a kid and today.
  • Post #4 - August 12th, 2004, 6:19 am
    Post #4 - August 12th, 2004, 6:19 am Post #4 - August 12th, 2004, 6:19 am
    I frequent the Printer's Row location. I like it in that it offers an alternative to your standard downtown dining and drinking expereince. I definitely prefer it to nearby Bar Louie or Blackies. I wouldn't say the food is great, but it's acceptable. I do enjoy their homemade kettle chips topped with bleu cheese and hot sauce though. They also have a decent beer selection.
    Last edited by Giallo on August 12th, 2004, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #5 - August 12th, 2004, 7:39 am
    Post #5 - August 12th, 2004, 7:39 am Post #5 - August 12th, 2004, 7:39 am
    Giallo wrote:I do enjoy their homemade kettle chips topped with bleu chees and hot sauce though.

Wow - that sounds yummy. I guess I didn't see that on the menu. The onion loaf IS great I agree. BTW - I went to the Harms St. location. Thanks for the info.
  • Post #6 - August 12th, 2004, 7:58 am
    Post #6 - August 12th, 2004, 7:58 am Post #6 - August 12th, 2004, 7:58 am
    When I worked in Skokie, the outdoor eating area at the Harms location was a regular summer outing. They keep it open through early fall, but the yellowjackets could get fierce by September.

Their outdoor area is full of big trees, metal tables with umbrellas... it's a great place to relax for lunch.

That being said, working for Hackneys in Wheeling turned my brother vegetarian (for a year or two -- he's back being pork's b*tch). He couldn't stand that the burgers were fried in deep fat, and that he came home daily smelling of frying meat.

So enjoy it, but use it sparingly.

And remember to order the onions "crisp and loose" -- you get more of the interior cooked that way.
  • Post #7 - August 12th, 2004, 9:08 am
    Post #7 - August 12th, 2004, 9:08 am Post #7 - August 12th, 2004, 9:08 am
    I was raised on Hackney's and I am a big sucker for good cheeseburgers and club sandwiches. Basically, I love bar food. The Hackney's onion loaf is not the best I've had, but it is still awesome. I adore their dark rye bread and buns. I do agree that they could more liberally salt and pepper their hamburgers. That's why I get the blue cheese burger for more flavor. I also like their salads, their chicken salad is great on the dark rye.

Hackney's is an any night of the week kind of place. You know that what you order is going to be decent and not regrettable. And that it will have familiar foods like soup and sandwich, burgers, steak sandwiches, a great selection of beer, cheap martinis, and pie. I go to the Printer's Row location and there is always parking, which is clutch for me.
  • Post #8 - August 12th, 2004, 1:28 pm
    Post #8 - August 12th, 2004, 1:28 pm Post #8 - August 12th, 2004, 1:28 pm
    I've been a semiregular there for the past 15 years. Your comments are right on. The "Catholic family meeting place" comment was great. My wife used to waitress there when we were dating and I still remember when she would get home and her clothes smelled like onion loaf. Fine memories of one of the owners sitting at the bar on and yelling at the waitress while he drank himself into a stupor. Food is nothing special, but it's consistent, you can get a cold pint, and large noisy families with small children are welcome.

I suspect Hackney's will fade away eventually; their menu is stagnant, I think they no longer serve Bass Ale, most of their locations need a good cleaning and remodel job, the food's not as good as it used to be, and young people consider it an "old person's restaurant".
  • Post #9 - August 12th, 2004, 3:44 pm
    Post #9 - August 12th, 2004, 3:44 pm Post #9 - August 12th, 2004, 3:44 pm
    Eat! You look so thin. wrote:I suspect Hackney's will fade away eventually; their menu is stagnant, I think they no longer serve Bass Ale, most of their locations need a good cleaning and remodel job, the food's not as good as it used to be, and young people consider it an "old person's restaurant".

The Printers' Row branch is alive and well and not in need of either especial cleaning or remodelling. I've commented on the place before and won't go on at length but it has been a great addition to the food and drink scene in this neighbourhood. I don't eat there often but then, I don't eat out often in general. The burgers are very good, perhaps not as good as at some of the northern branches, as Stevez has suggested and perhaps not legitimate candidates for best of their ilk in the city, but... Find a better one around the South Loop.

And while I'm wont to drink Bass Ale (once or twice a year), the current selection of beers at the Dearborn Street place is excellent. No, not like a specialty bar with 300 beers on tap, but there are few regular bars in and around the Loop that have the variety of German* and Belgian offerings on tap that they do; the absence of Bass I shan't lament, and if one really needs it, one can go to the genuinely lamentable Bar Louie's.

If you like good beer, Kasey's (with Bass) and Hackney's (sans Bass) are great stopping points in the South Loop. And if you're in the mood for a burger, beef or buffalo, to go with your beer, Hackney's is the choice.

Antonius

* I had a few Jever's yesterday, a beer one rarely sees on tap in the US; das hat geschmeckt.
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #10 - August 13th, 2004, 11:44 am
    Post #10 - August 13th, 2004, 11:44 am Post #10 - August 13th, 2004, 11:44 am
    Hear hear. Great beers on tap in the proper glasses and very good burgers, in my experience. Contrary to general opinion, I think Chicago is a great burger town, mainly because of the general high quality of tavern burgers, which relates to the fact that Chicago is likely still America's best bar town by several lengths. We don't compete w/ So. Cal. on the fast food front, but it's getting better. If I moved to SF or LA or back to Florida, I'd miss the taverns and bars. NYC is solid, but not as strong in my limited experience.
  • Post #11 - August 13th, 2004, 2:49 pm
    Post #11 - August 13th, 2004, 2:49 pm Post #11 - August 13th, 2004, 2:49 pm
    I didn't mean to sound like I was negative on the place. I still go there (either Lake Zurich, Harms Rd., or Lake St.) every month or so and will continue to do so to greatly enjoy a buffalo burger on rye and a pint o' Harp while dining with my Irish-Catholic in-laws.

I don't know if all locations stopped serving Bass, but that's what I was told. Can anyone check it out? Sounds like PR has more beers on tap than their other locations.

Probably will try Hackney's on Printers Row on the Friday after Thanksgiving, now that Berghof's is only serving lunch on the main floor.
  • Post #12 - August 13th, 2004, 3:05 pm
    Post #12 - August 13th, 2004, 3:05 pm Post #12 - August 13th, 2004, 3:05 pm
    There are some comments on Hackney's in this thread.

I like the Wheeling location best. I used to to love a dessert there. Well before creme brulee became ubiquitous, they used to serve an excellent version, listed on the menu under its original English name, "burnt cream." It was a very simple, pure, vanilla custard with a fine crackly sugar crust. One of the owners said his sister brought back the recipe. But they haven't had it in years.
  • Post #13 - May 20th, 2006, 6:57 pm
    Post #13 - May 20th, 2006, 6:57 pm Post #13 - May 20th, 2006, 6:57 pm
    So, while MrsF is eating interesting stuff in DC, and Thing1 is out with his girlfriend, and after a long tiring afternoon of installing underlayment (trying to save some money on the remodeling project by doing our own labor on the floor), Thing2 and I went up to Hackneys in Wheeling for classic grease.

They've set up a small outdoor patio dining area, which I have not noticed before. Unfortunately on this beautiful evening, there were some strategically placed smokers which would have ruined my meal, so we were directed to a booth (I'll rant about booths some other time).

They do mix up their menu from time to time, and Thing2 ordered a Blue Cheese burger, both filled and topped with blue cheese. And being a 6'4" 16-year-old, he added a salad, on top of the half loaf of onions I'd ordered ("loose and crisp" are the magic words to get a good batch that isn't a lump of gluey onions). I ordered a standard Hackneyburger, with swiss. Both on the dark rye.

The onions were terrific with some caramelized/near burnt bits, everything crispy and sweet. I added a few to the burger. Mm Mm Mm (Rachel Ray noises).

Thing2 gave me his slaw (doesn't like slaw, I can't help him, but more for me). I still can't figure why they use such a tiny cup, but I think they've moved up a size in a switch to plastic (my theory is that it's a lost tie to the southern slaw on sandwiches -- it's a condiment-sized portion, not merely skimpy). I like their slaw with both creaminess and a bit of a vinegar bite (is that a hint of horseradish?)

Fries were disappointing (not crisp enough, and no real potato flavor), and no need to eat them with plenty of onions around.

The place was hardly hopping compared to Chinn's, but there were families with small kids and groups of older folk -- it's not the haute cuisine crowd, but still worth a visit. If $31 (plus tax and tip) for two burgers, two soft drinks and a side of onions is too rich for you, you're missing on a Chicago classic.

One more cross-link: For an Irish-themed restaurant (shamrocks in their apostrophes fer crissake), they're blissfully unaware of the Black and Tan political incorrectness about Guiness+Lager.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #14 - May 20th, 2006, 7:04 pm
    Post #14 - May 20th, 2006, 7:04 pm Post #14 - May 20th, 2006, 7:04 pm
    We trekked on thursday night to the Hackney's on printers row. The blue cheese burger (on dark rye) is quite good. The fries were, as everyone else has noted, thoroughly mediocre. They are, amazingly, worse than the fries at Honey 1 (and every other decent bbq shack in this city).

Still, it was a very good burger, and cooked exactly to spec, which is nice.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #15 - May 20th, 2006, 7:17 pm
    Post #15 - May 20th, 2006, 7:17 pm Post #15 - May 20th, 2006, 7:17 pm
    I have eaten at Haknies also............NOTHING special theburgers are ok. But I dont think it is anything specail.
    http://www.ylunch.com
    I am the CEO of the company and HAVE a proffesional affiliation with them
  • Post #16 - May 20th, 2006, 7:21 pm
    Post #16 - May 20th, 2006, 7:21 pm Post #16 - May 20th, 2006, 7:21 pm
    gleam wrote:...and cooked exactly to spec, which is nice.

I'd forgotten that point: It was perfectly red-pink throughout, which is what I want in a medium-rare, and that's a very rare thing to find in this e. coli-fearing times.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #17 - May 20th, 2006, 8:12 pm
    Post #17 - May 20th, 2006, 8:12 pm Post #17 - May 20th, 2006, 8:12 pm
    mr. foodie and I went to Hackney about a month ago and it was disappointing. The burgers I thought were over priced for anything special.

we ordered the burgers on sourdough or white... which arrived cold and not even toasted. :?

fries were blah. coleslaw was meodiocre. what we couldn't understand was why he had to ask for lettuce, tomato and onion.... isn't this standard? we were simply served a hamburger patty in between 2 cold, white pieces of bread.

the $25 bill was not justified whatsoever. needless to say, we are not returning there again.
  • Post #18 - May 20th, 2006, 8:51 pm
    Post #18 - May 20th, 2006, 8:51 pm Post #18 - May 20th, 2006, 8:51 pm
    As a very long-time unabahed Hackney's fan, I'm starting to wonder if there are significant differences between the various locations. My favorite is the original, on Harms, especially in nice weather for the outdoor garden. I had a very middling experience atthe one in Printers' Row. But I've always had good food at what appears to be their flagship location now, on Lake just off Waukegan in Glenview, although it's so big and crowded I imagine the kitchen can get overwhelmed at times.
    we ordered the burgers on sourdough or white

Of course, their signature burger is on pumpernickel, which they do toasted on request (but I think the untoasted does a better job of soaking up the juices).
  • Post #19 - May 20th, 2006, 11:09 pm
    Post #19 - May 20th, 2006, 11:09 pm Post #19 - May 20th, 2006, 11:09 pm
    Much of the appeal of Hackney's (and here I refer to the Lake Street location in Glenview) relates to the social setting, settling into the ant farm of dining rooms, or sitting around that glorious oval-shaped bar on a Sunday afternoon. It's such a family-friendly place, you almost need an adopted family to enjoy it (which I had for a couple of years). So, the food is almost beside the point for the regulars, although the consistency of the burgers and onion loaf are certainly a help.
    JiLS
  • Post #20 - May 21st, 2006, 1:36 am
    Post #20 - May 21st, 2006, 1:36 am Post #20 - May 21st, 2006, 1:36 am
    JoelF wrote:
    gleam wrote:...and cooked exactly to spec, which is nice.

I'd forgotten that point: It was perfectly red-pink throughout, which is what I want in a medium-rare, and that's a very rare thing to find in this e. coli-fearing times.

As I have mentioned on various occasions, I am more carefully questioning establishments on how they will *really* prepare my hamburger. If they are honest advising all hamburgers are cooked medium to well, then I order another menu item. If they lie, fib or cross their fingers behind their back promising to cook it to my specs and later cook it to their own in-house spec, then I am returning the hamburger.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #21 - May 21st, 2006, 5:29 am
    Post #21 - May 21st, 2006, 5:29 am Post #21 - May 21st, 2006, 5:29 am
    nr706 wrote:As a very long-time unabahed Hackney's fan, I'm starting to wonder if there are significant differences between the various locations. My favorite is the original, on Harms, especially in nice weather for the outdoor garden. I had a very middling experience atthe one in Printers' Row. But I've always had good food at what appears to be their flagship location now, on Lake just off Waukegan in Glenview, although it's so big and crowded I imagine the kitchen can get overwhelmed at times.
    we ordered the burgers on sourdough or white

Of course, their signature burger is on pumpernickel, which they do toasted on request (but I think the untoasted does a better job of soaking up the juices).

I'll have to agree about the locations. I have found the Printer's Row location to be good enough, but not up to the standards of the Harms or Lake Street locations. I've also had good luck on my infrequent visits to the Lake Zurich location and Wheeling has been hit or miss. I'm a bun man myself. They used to bake their own, but now have them outsourced to their recipe. If you want the bun toasted, you've got to spec it that way when you order...just like the doneness of your burger.

Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #22 - November 7th, 2008, 7:12 am
    Post #22 - November 7th, 2008, 7:12 am Post #22 - November 7th, 2008, 7:12 am
    LTH,

Recently stopped at Hackney's on Harms, hadn't been in a while and was happy to see the cozy bar and slightly shop worn dining room had not changed. Two bartenders on duty, friendly, but not overly so, and very efficient, generous pour on the Jack D.

Wasn't starving, but wanted a bite and, in a surprise to myself, ordered the 4-oz burger, regular Hackney burger is 8-oz. In a further surprise the burger was terrific, med-rare with fried and raw onions as asked and dead-crisp french fries.

What separated Hackney's 4-oz burger from the rest of the pack, and the reason it stayed med-rare and juicy, it was shaped so as to be the same height as a regular burger just smaller circumference. The 4-oz fit perfectly on halved black bread, a perfect foil for rich meat juice.

I doubt I'll abandon my typical 8-oz burger and onion ring loaf order at Hackney's, but if you're in the mood for a smaller burger done well, Hackney's is an excellent choice.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Hackney's on Harms
    1241 Harms Rd
    Glenview, IL 60025
    847-724-5577
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #23 - November 7th, 2008, 9:54 am
    Post #23 - November 7th, 2008, 9:54 am Post #23 - November 7th, 2008, 9:54 am
    The Hackney's in Palos is a lot of fun when Kieren is performing, the food is just ok
  • Post #24 - November 7th, 2008, 1:05 pm
    Post #24 - November 7th, 2008, 1:05 pm Post #24 - November 7th, 2008, 1:05 pm
    I do think Hackney's is a North Shore cultural icon. I always thought of it as Irish rather than Catholic, but I guess that's close to being the same thing for most of Chicagoland's Irish. The onion loaf is a given (though it's half the size it was when I was a teenager). I do like the black bread on the burgers, though I agree that their burgers are not the greatest. My favorite food item is the corned beef and cabbage. I used to work near the Glenview location, and we'd often go on Thursdays so we could score corned beef. Other than that, drinks and munchies during the summer in the garden at the Harms Road location were the big draw.

So I don't think of Hackney's as a burger destination, but I still think of it as a destination.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #25 - November 7th, 2008, 3:28 pm
    Post #25 - November 7th, 2008, 3:28 pm Post #25 - November 7th, 2008, 3:28 pm
    I still get my Hackney's fix now and then. The food is always on the greasy side, and sometimes the oil for the food smells bad, but the last few times I've gone to the one on Lake it's been downright excellent. I was going to the Harms location the last few years, but it wasn't doing it for me. I've also hit the Lake Zurich location a couple times and it's ok, but the atmosphere is not like the big house on Lake. I always ask for my fries well done as well as my onion loaf loose and crisp. Like most of you, I went there as a kid and have fond memories.
  • Post #26 - November 7th, 2008, 9:00 pm
    Post #26 - November 7th, 2008, 9:00 pm Post #26 - November 7th, 2008, 9:00 pm
    Last Friday we went to the Hackney's on Printer's Row after a great set at the Jazz Showcase in Dearborn Station. We went to the South Loop Club first, but since they insisted that even though they were nearly empty we had to sit along the wall not in the range of the flat screens and not at one of the four tops that were completely empty, we told them to be fruitful and multiply, though not in so many words, and went to Hackney's. The buffalo burger was superb, as were the quesadillas. I used to work across the street from that particular Hackney's and liked it a lot. Friday was the first time I'd been in a while, and it was a pleasure as always.
    trpt2345
  • Post #27 - April 24th, 2009, 3:02 pm
    Post #27 - April 24th, 2009, 3:02 pm Post #27 - April 24th, 2009, 3:02 pm
    Me and my good companion set forth on a lovely afternoon to Hackney's Pub on a crisp August night, some years ago. I had never been to this establishment and through some spontaneity it was decided that the evening would be best enjoyed upon the outdoor promenade of Hackney's, conversing and regaling in Hackney's bountiful potents. The night was a lovely one, and strollling to my destination I felt something close to the joy I had not felt since my youth, running through the greenest meadows with Nate, my boyhood labrador and giddily glaring at the sky, in awe as my kite soured!

Seated, I took in the menu, my eyes dancing from offering to offering, promissing to miss none. Finally, I spotted the Onion Ring Brick, and the mark was true! "We will have the Onion Ring Brick" I drooled, pathetically, to the serving man, "Oh why yes, good sir, a FULL serving will be in order" I roared, not thinking about my own bodily limitations, and after all we were two.

Hancock, my aforementioned companion, carried his slender, wiry frame in a gentle almost delicate manner, most like a lingering affect of his harsh childhood. His father's alcoholism was only surpased in cruelty by the vacant stare of his mothers blue eyes; as cold as the late autumn ocean spray off Marblehead Bay. I, was his only mate since the untimely, accidental death of Rosemarie, Hancock's nurse turned primary caregiver and only true friend.

Our conversation was a familiar one, I boisterously dishing my politics as Hancock attentively sat with contemptuous indifference. I recounted the legislature's gross negligence in meddling with a labour negotiation when a passing serving girl laid down a massive platter, pouring over with oily rings. The girl was a slight bit, and she hurried off shyly after indulging my ribald jest.

"How delectable!" I declared to my dear weasely Hancock as I lustly tore into the imposing plate. "I have never seen thsese rings match!" I exclaimed loudly, grease soaking my chin even as sweat began to saturate my brow. I plowed onward, breath coming slower, heavier, and more laboriously. Noticing, but not caring nor understanding why my good man Hancock was not joining my reverie, I polished off the remainder of the heavy rings.

I glanced up, unfocused, and noticed that Hancock's thin lips uncharacteristically favored a half smile. Unwisely, I did not dwell on this, and instead unbuttoned my pants and asked Hancock why he had not returned to his native New England since his faminly sent him to boarding school after Rosemarie's tragic demise. Before Hancock could respond our captain laid my Hackney Burger before me. Though sweat and light headedness obscured my vision I admired the 3/4 slab of rare meat encased in a hearty Dark Rye Bun. I downed another tankard of ale to quell my stomach's protest and bit in. Oh how savory this meat was! Feeling faint and and unable to hold a thought, I devoured all and sundry.

Moments later, I was through. Drifting in and out of consciousness, I laboured to reason why Hancock was standing above me, and the Pub staff scurried about me! Faintly, I heard the the ambulence bell ring out. It was then that I remember that it was good Hancock who had suggested we spend our evening here at Hackney's, and that too it was Hancock whose slight nod had encouraged me to request a full helping of the rings. The very rings he did not touch!

Here, as I lay immoble in my hospital carne many years past, I cannot close my eyes for rest without seeing the hook nosed, thin lipped and victorious smile spread across Hancock's face as they lifted me into the ambulence bed, my stomach torn assunder.
    Last edited by NAV MAN on May 28th, 2010, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Cheetos are my favorite snack atm.
  • Post #28 - April 24th, 2009, 4:29 pm
    Post #28 - April 24th, 2009, 4:29 pm Post #28 - April 24th, 2009, 4:29 pm
    NAV MAN wrote:
    "How delectable!" I declared to my dear weasely Hancock as I lustly tore into the imposing plate. "I have never seen thsese rings match!" I exclaimed loudly, grease soaking my chin even as sweat began to saturate my brow. I plowed onward, breath coming slower, heavier, and more laboriously. Noticing, but not caring nor understanding why my good man Hancock was not joining my reverie, I polished off the remainder of the heavy rings.

This review would be quite at home in this thread.
  • Post #29 - May 5th, 2009, 4:44 pm
    Post #29 - May 5th, 2009, 4:44 pm Post #29 - May 5th, 2009, 4:44 pm
    RAB and I were driving home from a Wisconsin weekend last Sunday evening and wanted to stop for a bite. We'd checked out the Brat Stop (and purchased a bunch of New Glarus and a six pack of the highly-recommended Central Waters Happy Heron Pale Ale), but the menu there wasn't calling out to us. As we turned from the Spur onto the Edens, headed south, I tried to come up with a dinner solution - - nicer than fast food, and close to the Edens.

I hadn't been to Hackneys on Harms since I was in high school and thought it might be a nice option for dinner on a pretty evening. As we drove down Lake, I had happy memories of riding my bike to the neighborhood DQ. At 6pm on a Sunday, Hackneys was packed, inside and out. Lots of families and older folks enjoying an early dinner. While it was a nice evening for al fresco, there was a wait and we had a puppy in the car - - so inside we went.

The best thing about the meal was clearly the onion brick. It's quite delicious, just as I'd remembered it. The burgers, though, weren't great. The best thing I can say about them was that they were salted and cooked to temp. But, the meat didn't taste good. We'd requested grilled onions, but only received sliced onions - - and we didn't want to sit with cooling burgers waiting for the error to be cured. No lettuce, no tomato - - just a sad half pounder. Given all the great burgers in town made with good quality meat, this burger paled in comparison. Plus, the fries and coleslaw weren't even average.

We've now checked another Chicago institution off of RAB's list, but don't think we'll be making a repeat visit anytime soon.

Ronna
  • Post #30 - May 6th, 2009, 6:28 am
    Post #30 - May 6th, 2009, 6:28 am Post #30 - May 6th, 2009, 6:28 am
    I had a burger at Hackney's in Printer's Row a month or so back and wasn't all that impressed with the meat quality. I wonder if they have changed suppliers.
    i used to milk cows

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more