LTH Home

Demon Dogs

Demon Dogs
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Demon Dogs

Post #1 - August 26th, 2004, 8:07 pm
    Post #1 - August 26th, 2004, 8:07 pm Post #1 - August 26th, 2004, 8:07 pm
    I was looking at eGullet and a post from today mentioned Demon Dogs.I thought they were supposed to close June 15.Or are they still open.Thank you.
  • Post #2 - August 26th, 2004, 8:35 pm
    Post #2 - August 26th, 2004, 8:35 pm Post #2 - August 26th, 2004, 8:35 pm
    Hattyn,

Sometimes an answer is a do-it-yourself project:

1. Go to www.anywho.com

2. Business name: Demon Dogs, Chicago, IL, result:

Demon Dogs
    944 West Fullerton Avenue
    Chicago, IL 60614
    773-281-2001

3. Pick up telephone and ask: Postponed with no termination date at the moment. The kind lady who answered the phone cheerfully advised the project which forces their closing is being re-bid, so they are open on a month-to-month basis. She inquired if there had been a newspaper article out because she received many phone calls of the same nature today.

&&&

Since this worked so well with Demon Dogs, I then let my fingers do the walking to phone Hot Dougs. I was hoping for a cheerfully eccentric message advising an opening date; instead their voicemail is overfilled. :?

Hot Doug's Inc
    2314 West Roscoe Street
    Chicago, IL 60618
    773-348-0326
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - August 26th, 2004, 9:09 pm
    Post #3 - August 26th, 2004, 9:09 pm Post #3 - August 26th, 2004, 9:09 pm
    There's a new message on the front of Hot Doug's. I've been too busy to actually see what it said though...
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #4 - August 26th, 2004, 10:04 pm
    Post #4 - August 26th, 2004, 10:04 pm Post #4 - August 26th, 2004, 10:04 pm
    Am I missing something about Demon Dogs?

I found absolutely nothing special about the dogs here - I went at about 10PM on a weekday night with my friend from DePaul and wasn't too pleased, given the hype around this place.

Keep in mind I've pretty much switched over to polishes from Jim's in place of all hot dogs.

The dog was too thin, and the employees definately skimped on the condiments on the dog. Texture was too squishy - I like mine with a pop when you bite into the dog. Fries were too soggy for my liking.

My favorite dog stand right now is right by my house - Hot Dog Island on Dempster (Just reopened there, took the place of Mage's).
  • Post #5 - August 26th, 2004, 10:46 pm
    Post #5 - August 26th, 2004, 10:46 pm Post #5 - August 26th, 2004, 10:46 pm
    A couple of updates and notes:
    1) The Glenview Hot Dog Island at Golf and Washington is gone completely. I was told over on CH that they've opened in Skokie at Dempster and Bronx, which was previously a couple other hot dog brands.
    Ah here it is: 4925 Dempster St. in Skokie
    See http://www.ronnierice.com/hot_dog_island1.htm

2) Demon Dogs has been hanging on for over a year. Early this year they were granted a stay of execution, but at a price: their rent is now something like 4X previous.

What's the appeal? Mainly the fries, shakes and pretty low prices on the dogs which include fries for less than the local stand (Photo's) charges for just the dog. That and the record-industry memorabilia, and the occasional free rock concert T-shirt.
  • Post #6 - August 26th, 2004, 11:09 pm
    Post #6 - August 26th, 2004, 11:09 pm Post #6 - August 26th, 2004, 11:09 pm
    I rarely long for the departure of a basically decent indie spot, but after all Demon Dogs' dismissed departure dates, they could easily be the subject of the Dan Hicks classic song, "How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away?"
  • Post #7 - August 27th, 2004, 8:37 am
    Post #7 - August 27th, 2004, 8:37 am Post #7 - August 27th, 2004, 8:37 am
    Mike G wrote:There's a new message on the front of Hot Doug's. I've been too busy to actually see what it said though...

I drove by this morning to check it out. It's the same old message: fire.....closed....check back for updates....etc.

The windows were now entirely covered with paper, which is a new development since my last drive-by. Perhaps he's gussying up for the labor day open.

JoelF wrote:What's the appeal? Mainly the fries, shakes and pretty low prices on the dogs

I've been going to Demon Dogs for years, but only for the shakes. Everything else is .... eh.
  • Post #8 - August 27th, 2004, 9:40 am
    Post #8 - August 27th, 2004, 9:40 am Post #8 - August 27th, 2004, 9:40 am
    About an hour ago on WXRT was a report that the CTA has sent a $100K bill to Demon Dogs to cover expenses that Demon Dogs had thought were included in the lease. Not enough details to explain, but the CTA appears to be doing everything in their power to encourage them to move out.

Aha: gotta love Google News search:
    <a href="http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp?S=2227012">WQAD Report</a> -- Quad Cities cares about our tube steaks!

It's 14 years of utility bills, and the courts just told them to pay it.

(also at trib, but requires sign-in)
  • Post #9 - August 27th, 2004, 11:13 am
    Post #9 - August 27th, 2004, 11:13 am Post #9 - August 27th, 2004, 11:13 am
    eatchicago wrote:I've been going to Demon Dogs for years, but only for the shakes. Everything else is .... eh.

I'll concur on the shakes, but also agree with Joel that the fries are above average. Fresh cut, double fried. I wish they were a smaller cut (they're probably 1/2 to 3/4" square and 4" long). I find they're usually undersalted, though.

I've actually never had one of their hot dogs before. I don't really have any desire to try one, either.

I haven't been to DD since probably summer of 2002, but even back then they were prepping for the move. It's a little absurd.

-ed
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide