LTH Home

Art of Pizza: a rant [+ Cafe Luigi]

Art of Pizza: a rant [+ Cafe Luigi]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 10th, 2011, 12:22 pm
    Post #61 - March 10th, 2011, 12:22 pm Post #61 - March 10th, 2011, 12:22 pm
    My fiancee and I always buy our deep dishes early in the day to fit our schedule of weekend errands. We have begun re-heating them in a 380-degree oven for 25-30 minutes, then flipping them over to allow the crust to firm up for another 15-20, to our desired level of doneness. It really helps counteract any effects from sitting out on the table or in our freezer!
    pizza fun
  • Post #62 - March 11th, 2011, 11:12 am
    Post #62 - March 11th, 2011, 11:12 am Post #62 - March 11th, 2011, 11:12 am
    i<3pizza wrote:We have begun re-heating them in a 380-degree oven for 25-30 minutes, then flipping them over to allow the crust to firm up for another 15-20,

Really? Sounds like it could turn into a mess - the flipping over, the cooking, and/or the flipping it back. How do you manage it? Do you cover the top with foil?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #63 - March 11th, 2011, 3:23 pm
    Post #63 - March 11th, 2011, 3:23 pm Post #63 - March 11th, 2011, 3:23 pm
    Strangely, the sauce coheres enough to neither spill off nor stick to the pizza stone; they flip cleanly! I can't believe it myself. :)
    pizza fun
  • Post #64 - March 22nd, 2011, 11:39 am
    Post #64 - March 22nd, 2011, 11:39 am Post #64 - March 22nd, 2011, 11:39 am
    In celebration of Art's GNR award, I am ordering a stuffed pizza tonight on this rainy day.
  • Post #65 - March 24th, 2011, 12:34 am
    Post #65 - March 24th, 2011, 12:34 am Post #65 - March 24th, 2011, 12:34 am
    I'm pretty amused at a thread that starts with a rant from a self-proclaimed pizza "afficianado" (I think that's Spanish for someone who is affixed to a pizza, but I digress) who hates Art of Pizza, loves Papa John's :shock: wanted Pizza Hut but was stymied when they wouldn't deliver, and laments that there's no Little Caesar's nearby :shock: :shock: :shock: ... a poster who later states that Chicago pizza is okay, he just doesn't consider it "pizza" - like a 5-year old leading a sheltered life suddenly stopped in his tracks!! at the sight of another child riding something that people weirdly refer to as a "bike" even though it has no training wheels like everything he's ever called a bike did.

... but the thread ends with a GNR for the aggrieved restaurant that spawned the rant!

Well done LTH! Well done!
  • Post #66 - March 24th, 2011, 10:18 am
    Post #66 - March 24th, 2011, 10:18 am Post #66 - March 24th, 2011, 10:18 am
    I finally got around to getting a whole pizza from Art of Pizza last week. I was shocked that the first bites of every slice had a strong green pepper/red pepper taste (which I don't like on pizza), but that seemed to be only in the very middle of the pizza where all the slices meet. Not sure what happened. I also noticed after I left (it was a carryout) that I should have gotten 2 liters of pop for free based on my overall order and they never mentioned it. I guess you have to know you are entitled to it or you lose out.

Anyway, I thought it was a very good representation of a typical stuffed pizza. I was also reminded as to why I dislike stuffed pizza more than most of the other styles. I just don't care for that gummy, useless layer of dough under the sauce. If you love stuffed pizza, you'll probably like the Art of Pizza a lot. If I ever seem to have a jones for a stuffed pizza (which is basically never) I'll go back.

ryanwc wrote:I'm pretty amused at a thread that starts with a rant from a self-proclaimed pizza "afficianado" (I think that's Spanish for someone who is affixed to a pizza, but I digress) who hates Art of Pizza, loves Papa John's wanted Pizza Hut but was stymied when they wouldn't deliver, and laments that there's no Little Caesar's nearby ... a poster who later states that Chicago pizza is okay, he just doesn't consider it "pizza" - like a 5-year old leading a sheltered life suddenly stopped in his tracks!! at the sight of another child riding something that people weirdly refer to as a "bike" even though it has no training wheels like everything he's ever called a bike did.

... but the thread ends with a GNR for the aggrieved restaurant that spawned the rant!

I'm pretty amused at a thread that starts with a rant from a self-proclaimed pizza "afficianado" (I think that's Spanish for someone who is affixed to a pizza, but I digress) who hates Art of Pizza, loves Papa John's :shock: wanted Pizza Hut but was stymied when they wouldn't deliver, and laments that there's no Little Caesar's nearby :shock: :shock: :shock: ... a poster who later states that Chicago pizza is okay, he just doesn't consider it "pizza" - like a 5-year old leading a sheltered life suddenly stopped in his tracks!! at the sight of another child riding something that people weirdly refer to as a "bike" even though it has no training wheels like everything he's ever called a bike did.

GREAT POST!!! :lol:
  • Post #67 - March 27th, 2011, 4:49 pm
    Post #67 - March 27th, 2011, 4:49 pm Post #67 - March 27th, 2011, 4:49 pm
    Ram4 wrote:I also noticed after I left (it was a carryout) that I should have gotten 2 liters of pop for free based on my overall order and they never mentioned it. I guess you have to know you are entitled to it or you lose out.

Not true, every time I've gotten carry out they ask me what free soda I want. Possibly just overlooked by the worker at that time.
  • Post #68 - March 27th, 2011, 5:11 pm
    Post #68 - March 27th, 2011, 5:11 pm Post #68 - March 27th, 2011, 5:11 pm
    We weren't asked about pop either. From the signs we knew we were entitled to some but since we didn't want any, we didn't ask and they didn't offer.
  • Post #69 - February 27th, 2015, 9:51 am
    Post #69 - February 27th, 2015, 9:51 am Post #69 - February 27th, 2015, 9:51 am
    Deep dish from Art of Pizza last night was really disappointing. Flavorless crust, industrial flavorless cheese, flavorless sausage. You get the idea. And it was delivered an hour after the quoted delivery time. With every bite, I could hear my wife saying "we could have had Jimmy's."
  • Post #70 - February 27th, 2015, 1:43 pm
    Post #70 - February 27th, 2015, 1:43 pm Post #70 - February 27th, 2015, 1:43 pm
    Darren72 wrote:Deep dish from Art of Pizza last night was really disappointing. Flavorless crust, industrial flavorless cheese, flavorless sausage. You get the idea. And it was delivered an hour after the quoted delivery time. With every bite, I could hear my wife saying "we could have had Jimmy's."

That sucks about your stuffed pizza meal. I wonder how many thousands of people assumed that they had real Chicago deep dish when they had some mediocre stuffed pizza from Giordano's or Edwardo's?
  • Post #71 - September 27th, 2017, 12:17 pm
    Post #71 - September 27th, 2017, 12:17 pm Post #71 - September 27th, 2017, 12:17 pm
    One of Chicago’s most-venerable spots for stuffed pizza, The Art of Pizza, has opened a second location, as they debuted earlier this week in the South Loop. This location offers thin crust, pan, and Chicago-style stuffed pies at 727 S. State St.

https://chicago.eater.com/2017/9/27/163 ... ate-street
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #72 - September 28th, 2017, 8:47 am
    Post #72 - September 28th, 2017, 8:47 am Post #72 - September 28th, 2017, 8:47 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    One of Chicago’s most-venerable spots for stuffed pizza, The Art of Pizza, has opened a second location, as they debuted earlier this week in the South Loop. This location offers thin crust, pan, and Chicago-style stuffed pies at 727 S. State St.

https://chicago.eater.com/2017/9/27/163 ... ate-street

Invading the turf of Pat's and Lou's.......should be interesting.
  • Post #73 - September 28th, 2017, 5:49 pm
    Post #73 - September 28th, 2017, 5:49 pm Post #73 - September 28th, 2017, 5:49 pm
    Ram4 wrote:
    Darren72 wrote:Deep dish from Art of Pizza last night was really disappointing. Flavorless crust, industrial flavorless cheese, flavorless sausage. You get the idea. And it was delivered an hour after the quoted delivery time. With every bite, I could hear my wife saying "we could have had Jimmy's."

That sucks about your stuffed pizza meal. I wonder how many thousands of people assumed that they had real Chicago deep dish when they had some mediocre stuffed pizza from Giordano's or Edwardo's?

What's wrong with Edwardo's? And either of those beat the two most prominent examples available at nationwide chains: Pizzerio Uno, none of which I've been to can hold a candle to the original Uno or Due, and Old Chicago pizza, a Denver-based chain which is so authentic that there isn't a single one in the entire Chicago area.
  • Post #74 - September 29th, 2017, 10:03 am
    Post #74 - September 29th, 2017, 10:03 am Post #74 - September 29th, 2017, 10:03 am
    Drover wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:

What's wrong with Edwardo's? And either of those beat the two most prominent examples available at nationwide chains: Pizzerio Uno, none of which I've been to can hold a candle to the original Uno or Due, and Old Chicago pizza, a Denver-based chain which is so authentic that there isn't a single one in the entire Chicago area.
    What's wrong with Edwardo's (and Giordano's) is that I feel they serve really mediocre stuffed and thin pizzas. It's no surprise that Edwardo's closed all but 2 Chicago locations, because it was so lousy. The last time I got Edwardo's (the closed one in Wheeling) as I was eating it, I literally said "This is s***!" As I said in my posts, stuffed is my least favorite style. The crust is always bland and dry, the sauce is bitter and acidic, it has that useless layer of gummy dough, and it just depresses me. A couple of times in my life I had a decent stuffed pizza. One was a slice at Art of Pizza and once was at Nancy's but it was not like the other Nancy's. The crust really impressed me. But I could never remember the location where I got it, so it was lost to history. Uno Chicago Grill really annoys me because they claim to be the real deep dish pizza and it's an abomination. I know about Old Chicago as well and I have always avoided it.
  • Post #75 - April 21st, 2019, 11:10 am
    Post #75 - April 21st, 2019, 11:10 am Post #75 - April 21st, 2019, 11:10 am
    Bumping this long dead thread...I've lived about a 5 min walk from Art's for quite some time now. I'm clearly in the minority, but the pan is my go-to there. The stuffed is obviously the favorite based on the pizzas they have available by the slice. My only complaint would be how bland the edge crust is, I always feel like I want to dip it in marinara to give it some flavor. In general I'm not a stuffed fan, as someone else commented, I find the pasty, gooey top layer of dough to be pointless. The thin is fine in a pinch, but I've never ordered a whole thin pizza as there are much better options in the area if I'm ordering ahead of time (dine-in at Side Street, pickup or delivery from Pat's or Bartoli's).

Nearly 20 years ago I lived around the corner from Luigi's and the grumpy old man was part of the charm. I still get down there every now and again and hadn't seen him for years. Last summer I stopped in, he was friendly with a couple regulars and when I asked if they had any cheese slices coming out soon, he said, "YES! IN FIVE MINUTES!" Oh how I missed that guy. Grumpy old man or not, in terms of pizza I'd prefer to still live around the corner from Luigi's vs a few mins from Art's. Both are worthwhile establishments, though.
  • Post #76 - April 22nd, 2019, 11:54 am
    Post #76 - April 22nd, 2019, 11:54 am Post #76 - April 22nd, 2019, 11:54 am
    Interesting/Odd. I've only have pan, not stuffed or thin. Their pan crust is super flavorful, to the point of having almost too much salt. The pan crust is probably my favorite part of the pizza.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more