LTH Home

Otom (was: Moto 2.0?)

Otom (was: Moto 2.0?)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - September 16th, 2007, 12:46 am
    Post #31 - September 16th, 2007, 12:46 am Post #31 - September 16th, 2007, 12:46 am
    I arrived at Otom tonight with some trepidation based upon others' reviews here. After the meal, I'm certain to return based upon having enjoyed fantastic service and excellent food. Based upon the menu offerings, I'm guessing (and sincerely hoping) that they've had an opportunity to judge what works and what doesn't.

My friend and I arrived without a reservation, so we started off at the bar -- nice drink menu (generally, $12 for mixed drinks and creative martinis) and well mixed -- so far so good.

We were seated within 10 minutes. Bread service featured three Red Hen breads -- a grain (can't remember more), pumpernickel-onion and french. The bread was typical Red Hen, no surprises, but always respectable. The butters (including the silky honey butter) were very nice, served at room temperature.

Shared appetizer: the Cobb salad - Wonderful smoked turkey, Maytag blue cheese, crispy pancetta, avocado and vinaigrette. This was a very nice combination of flavors and the perfect amount of vinaigrette . . . a great beginning.

Main courses: As our waitress explained, they just added my main course in the past week, which was the braised pork belly with a beet reduction and a rosemary reduction and a vegetable combination, resembling a mirepoix. This was fantastic. Crispy on the outside, tender inside, and wonderfully flavorful pork belly . . . one of the best pork belly courses I've had of late. This is not to be missed.

Also outstanding was my friend's short rib ravioli -- tender pasta and melt in your mouth short rib. This could not have been better.

We finished with the banana split -- essentially, three portions of frozen banana puree on lollipop sticks, all coated in semisweet chocolate, and one with maraschino cherry, another with pineapple and the last with caramel. Simple, maybe childish . . . but delicious.

Service was excellent in all respects -- a waitress who knew the menu inside and out, a sommelier who knew the wine list, a capable bartender and perfect timing of courses. After reading the mixed reviews here, I was shocked to come away so happy. I'm hoping that my meal tonight is representative of what Otom will be turning out in the future. If so, they're sure to please. Tonight, they pleased the hell out of me.

EDITED as follows: After a good night sleep and some reflection, I do have some minor issues with Otom. While I do not have the benefit of having a menu on hand, I thought the appetizer listings were a little too one-dimensional -- too many salad "type" dishes. I also think it's a mistake to offer the mac & cheese as a $14 main course. I think this would work better as a less expensive, splittable side. Finally, while I enjoyed my dessert and had difficulty choosing between the one I ordered and the sweet potato flan, I think they need more than four dessert choices -- maybe only one more, but at least 5-6. Anyway, these are just some of the thoughts that I have. But last night I was presented with a fantastic dinner in all respects and for that I am thankful.
  • Post #32 - November 11th, 2007, 1:53 pm
    Post #32 - November 11th, 2007, 1:53 pm Post #32 - November 11th, 2007, 1:53 pm
    We were a little disappointed with Otom. We went with four couples and were seated right near the door. The wonderful service that I had heard so much about was sadly lacking. It took a while to get water, menus, and any attention really. It was conversationally challenging, too.

The server only spoke to one end of the table, so only part of the group heard about the soup or was really able to ask questions. The bread service came after we had been seated for about 15 minutes. There were three choices. Only the pumpernickel onion bread stood out. Between the eight of us, we ordered an escarole salad, cream of butternut squash soup, mussels, mac and cheese, bean salad, and a salmon appetizer. The soup was wonderful. The mac and cheese was all that everyone else said. The rest of the appetizers were unremarkable. The bean salad was under seasoned, the mussels were over seasoned, and the escarole salad was underwhelming.

We sat with empty dishes on our table for about 10 minutes. It was another 20 minutes or so until our main course came out. In that time, the server came back once to get a wine order, but that was it.

The entrees were similarly unremarkable. Four of us had short rib ravioli, which was tasty, but nothing special. One had the lamb shank. That lamb was good, the beans that came with it were undercooked, however. The tenderloin was cooked well but plain. The pork belly was also kind of boring. The jambalaya was well cooked and seasoned, but it didn't have a lot of meat to it. Overall we weren't wowed. It was all good but slightly boring.

The desserts were better than the meal. The brownie and ice cream was yummy, though the marshmallows were so small that they were tasteless. The apple crumble with vanilla ice cream was also delicious. The banana split was disappointing to those who ordered it. There were only three bites (as opposed to the four in the photos from a previous post) and it was more cutesy than tasty.

We had to ask two separate times for more water and had to pour our own wine. I really did feel fairly well ignored. The prices were pretty decent. It was just under $500 for eight of us.

I will not be returning. There are too many other places that appeal to us more. Overall the food was fine, the atmosphere was a bit loud, and the service was lacking.
  • Post #33 - November 11th, 2007, 2:02 pm
    Post #33 - November 11th, 2007, 2:02 pm Post #33 - November 11th, 2007, 2:02 pm
    im sorry you didn't have the kind of experience we keep having at Otom- we go back all the time because we can regularly pop in there on a weeknight and get a table and really high quality service. The wine list is interesting and the food is comforting. Our service has always been top notch there, and in a city that's seriously lacking top quality service at the middle end price point, that's saying something.
    is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.
  • Post #34 - November 11th, 2007, 2:41 pm
    Post #34 - November 11th, 2007, 2:41 pm Post #34 - November 11th, 2007, 2:41 pm
    iahawk89 wrote: . . . The pork belly was also kind of boring

I'm of the opinion that pork belly can never be boring . . . well, maybe if you cut off all of the fat and boil the hell out of it. My only complaint is that I've yet to find a restaurant selling pork belly pot pie -- now that's what I'm looking for! But I digress. What was boring about the pork belly? Was it the same presentation I described above? I ask because to me, the pork belly I had a Otom was a major hit.
  • Post #35 - November 12th, 2007, 10:05 am
    Post #35 - November 12th, 2007, 10:05 am Post #35 - November 12th, 2007, 10:05 am
    I wonder if we were just expecting too much.

The sauce was different on his pork belly. Again, it was fine, but nothing special. I keep reading about the raves on the ravioli. I thought it was good but not as wonderful as others. Maybe it was just an off night in the kitchen.

Honestly, it was the service, or lack of it that bummed me out. I certainly didn't expect fawning, but it was disappointing that we had to ask for water, more bread etc.

We live in the northern burbs, so these days it takes a pretty special place to bring us into the city. (Especially with babysitters at $10/hour!) Otom wasn't that place for me.
  • Post #36 - March 1st, 2008, 6:06 pm
    Post #36 - March 1st, 2008, 6:06 pm Post #36 - March 1st, 2008, 6:06 pm
    I went in to check on the short rib ravioli that has been under discussion on the boards, and was wonderfully satisfied- although that was the only thing that impressed me last night. The mac and cheese version currently on the menu is good, and I can't say no to some crunchy burnt cheese crust, but I was expecting more. Although they now have it in the appetizer section, so I did think the portion size was perfect, I just didn't feel like it was as truffly as I thought it had been described.

Admittedly, I was a little thrown when the chef came and presented the entree (the short rib ravioli) to me rather then the staff though (who I saw bringing the entrees to other tables) Wonder if whipping my camera out and having a little table tripod to get a better shot (can absorb more light, and not shaky from the wine :? ) put them on notice by accident as an LTHer?

Image Image

Image Image

• Post #37 - March 1st, 2008, 7:26 pm
    Post #37 - March 1st, 2008, 7:26 pm Post #37 - March 1st, 2008, 7:26 pm
    pechnmew wrote:I went in to check on the short rib ravioli that has been under discussion on the boards, and was wonderfully satisfied- although that was the only thing that impressed me last night. The mac and cheese version currently on the menu is good, and I can't say no to some crunchy burnt cheese crust, but I was expecting more. Although they now have it in the appetizer section, so I did think the portion size was perfect, I just didn't feel like it was as truffly as I thought it had been described.

Admittedly, I was a little thrown when the chef came and presented the entree (the short rib ravioli) to me rather then the staff though (who I saw bringing the entrees to other tables) Wonder if whipping my camera out and having a little table tripod to get a better shot (can absorb more light, and not shaky from the wine :? ) put them on notice by accident as an LTHer?

Image Image

Image Image

A tabletop tripod? Isn't that a bit much? I could easily be out of the loop on this one.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #38 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:04 am
    Post #38 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:04 am Post #38 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:04 am
    Christopher Gordon wrote:A tabletop tripod? Isn't that a bit much? I could easily be out of the loop on this one.

CG,

If anything related to food seems "a bit much" to you, then you may very well be "out of the loop." :lol:

Hammond

PS. I think a table tripod makes a lot of sense; for shooting without flash in low light, it'd be a huge help.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #39 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:35 am
    Post #39 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:35 am Post #39 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:35 am
    David Hammond wrote:
    Christopher Gordon wrote:A tabletop tripod? Isn't that a bit much? I could easily be out of the loop on this one.

CG,

If anything related to food seems "a bit much" to you, then you may very well be "out of the loop." :lol:

Hammond

PS. I think a table tripod makes a lot of sense; for shooting without flash in low light, it'd be a huge help.

What I mean is: don't you want to be as unobtrusive as possible when photographing food at a restaurant? Especially, if you're just joe schmo, not a professional(who, undoubtedly, would have greater access to the dining environment anyway)

Tom, Dick, or Harriet snapping shots of their food with their digital gadget, fine

Same hauling out a mini-tripod, light meter, micro-diffusion box, octopus, various backdrops, etc... :roll:
  • Post #40 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:41 am
    Post #40 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:41 am Post #40 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:41 am
    Christopher Gordon wrote:What I mean is: don't you want to be as unobtrusive as possible when photographing food at a restaurant?

A tripod would make a flash less necessary, thus making the whole photography effort less obtrusive.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #41 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:51 am
    Post #41 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:51 am Post #41 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:51 am
    When I wrote "out of the loop" I was referring to the distinct possibility that the protocols of amateur food photographers are well-trod on this sight and elsewhere. I rarely photograph my food and don't see how flash is ever appropriate in a restaurant context unless that environment is extremely laissez-faire and/or you're virtually the only patron there and have prior permission. Pulling out a tripod seems really goofy to me. If you can get the shot, great. If you need accoutrement to capture the moment, perhaps you should just let it go and enjoy the food.

-Christopher(big fan of natural light and the snapshot aesthetic) Gordon
  • Post #42 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:54 am
    Post #42 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:54 am Post #42 - March 2nd, 2008, 10:54 am
    Actually, not using the flash is exactly why I use this small table top tripod. I think the flash makes everyone in the restaurant very aware that someone is taking photos, and although my dining mates don't want me to use a flash, they don't mind the tripod as I think it is more unobtrusive and unless you are actually watching the table, you generally don't even see it (I put the camera and smush/fold the tripod away when actually eating). Generally what takes the most time is not setting up the camera and tripod, but the 5 seconds (which seem soooo long when the food is just arrived at the table and the aromas wafting towards you) it takes for the camera to finish with the photo, and the fact I take generally 2-3 shots. It does make a huge difference in the shots- you can see from the ones I just posted that the ravioli ones look like it's a nicely lit room, but actually everyone is basically dining by candlelight. I don't even take the camera out until I glance around to see if anyone notice (if someone is bringing water or something I'll wait, again trying to be unobtrusive and not make anyone too conscious), and I only use the tripod in low lighting- when at restaurants that have enough tabletop lighting I don't use it at all and hope any shaky hands are kept to a minimum.

I'm certainly no professional photographer, but I really love being able to browse back to some meals that I have had and bring back the memories from then and I also use my small arsenal of photos to persuade others to dine at the restaurant or share my experiences (not just on lth of course). I'm actually a big fan of eating at restaurants at lunch or early dinner as soon as they open when there is still light out, the latter which is better accomplished for only half the year in Chicago. :P
  • Post #43 - March 25th, 2008, 11:40 am
    Post #43 - March 25th, 2008, 11:40 am Post #43 - March 25th, 2008, 11:40 am
    I got the go ahead to post this, so here's the news about Otom. Reminder, that we still have plenty of space for the 4/16 dinner :)

(Chicago, IL) – March, 2008. Joseph De Vito, the owner of Moto and OTOM and Homaro Cantu, the mastermind in the kitchen at Moto, have officially formed The Moto Management Group. Under the new partnership, De Vito and Cantu are equal partners in both Moto and OTOM, the two restaurants currently under The Moto Management Group umbrella. De Vito will spearhead the management of all restaurants, Cantu will lead all menu development and together they will create new ‘out-of-the-box’ restaurants nationally and internationally.

In the kitchen, Cantu will be at the helm developing all menus along with his culinary dream team of familiar names including Executive Chef Daryl Nash (OTOM) and Pastry Chef Ben Roche (moto). Outside the kitchen, De Vito has promoted Matthew Gundlach, Moto’s Wine Director and Manager, to Wine Director and Director of Operations for The Moto Management Group. Gundlach will report directly to De Vito. Gundlach’s daily responsibilities will include shaping all wine and beverage programs in addition to overseeing front of the house training.

On March 24, 2008 OTOM will introduce its new spring menu, the first menu developed by The Moto Management Group culinary team. OTOM’s Executive Chef Daryl Nash describes the spring menu as follows, “You’ll find tasty spring ingredients and familiar dishes with a few playful sci-fi twists. The sci-fi twists may be a bit more obvious but if you’re looking for edible menus or lasers you’ll have to go next door.”

Cantu and Nash, formerly of moto, have been working together for years in the kitchen. Both feel that the collaboration is a natural brotherhood of sorts. Cantu tends to boast about his team and said, “We’ve attracted some of the most curious and competent talent in the world to moto. Daryl was a big part of moto’s kitchen for over two years. It’s great for me to come full circle and be a part of his ongoing success at OTOM. We’re having a blast together because we share a mutual understanding and respect for what each of us brings to the table. There’s no big brother here just equally adventurous minds working in the kitchen.”

New Spring Dishes & Corresponding Photo Links:

Appetizer:

Lyonnaise Breakfast Salad: Curly Escarole Lettuce, Baguette Crouton, Poached Yolk, Liquid Center “Bacon Egg”, Grain Mustard Vinaigrette $12

http://www.4starhg.com/mc/otom/New-Menu ... HCantu.jpg

Entrees:

BBQ Pork Belly: Smoked Bread, Spicy Chard, Fried “Pork Beans” and Sweet Pickles $26

http://www.4starhg.com/mc/otom/New-Menu ... HCantu.JPG

Fried Short-Rib Ravioli: Parsnip-Vanilla Puree, Sweet Potato Butterscotch, Fennel and Brown Butter Powder. $25

Sous-Vide Rib Eye: Braised Red Cabbage Puree, Fried Potato and Kielbasa

Spaetzle $29

Oil Poached Cod: Crispy Parsley, Chilled Cole Slaw Puree, Fried Tartar Sauce, Beer Battered Lemon $25

TV Dinner: Chicken Fried Kidney-Bean Disc, Edamame and Carrot Pie, Cauliflower Puree, Coffee Gravy $26

Desserts:

Coconut-Pineapple Paradise: Inverted Pineapple, Sand Dunes, Pina Colada and Coconut Lotion $9

http://www.4starhg.com/mc/otom/New-Menu ... Hcantu.JPG

Milk ‘n Cookies: Chocolate Chip, Mascarpone, Caramel Bananas, Vanilla Wafer Ice Cream $9

The Coffee Break: Donut, Honey Brioche and Strawberry Jam $9

• Post #44 - March 25th, 2008, 11:46 am
    Post #44 - March 25th, 2008, 11:46 am Post #44 - March 25th, 2008, 11:46 am
    By the way, in interest of full disclosure- I have no professional relationship with the restaurant or this group. I just tend to dine there a lot and to entertain there a lot. And I did get engaged at Moto. Thus they hold a special place in my heart, but that's about as far as it goes.
  • Post #45 - March 29th, 2008, 2:50 pm
    Post #45 - March 29th, 2008, 2:50 pm Post #45 - March 29th, 2008, 2:50 pm
    My fiance and I had an absolutely wonderful diner at Otom last night. We did a five course tasting menu with wine pairings and everything hit the right spot.

The dishes were culled from the new spring menu and included to following (my descriptions are pulled from the website and an email from the restaurant):

We began with an amuse that was a play on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich: I believe it was a peanut butter cracker, with a banana creme, topped with a carbonated water-filled grape. We also had a real nice, light Prosecco to start off the meal. Then we moved on to:

Butter-poached shrimp with a jalepeno noodle, puffed rice, and black beans served with a Kessler Riesling.

Lyonnaise Breakfast Salad: Curly Escarole Lettuce, Baguette Crouton, Poached Yolk, Liquid Center “Bacon Egg” served with a white Burgundy.

BBQ Pork Belly: Smoked Bread, Spicy Chard, Fried “Pork Beans” and Sweet Pickles served with an Oregon Pinot Noir by McMinnville. The spicy chard on top of the bread was perhaps the most amazingly flavored bite of the night.

Fried Short-Rib Ravioli served with a Parsnip-Vanilla Puree, Sweet Potato Butterscotch, Fennel and Brown Butter Powder served with a Sutton Cellars Merlot (my favorite wine of the evening).

Coconut-Pineapple Paradise: Inverted Pineapple, Sand Dunes, Pina Colada and Coconut Lotion served with a King Estate ice wine. This dish was a lot of fun because it was plated to look like a model of a sandy beach.

We appreciate great service and Otom exceeded our expectations. Although the restaurant was nearly full, the staff was extremely attentive and made us feel like valued guests. Importantly, they showed a lot of enthusiasm for the food, had a good sense of humor, and talked to us (but not down to us!) about how everything was made.

Overall, it was an incredibly fun evening and we will be going back soon.
  • Post #46 - April 17th, 2008, 10:29 am
    Post #46 - April 17th, 2008, 10:29 am Post #46 - April 17th, 2008, 10:29 am
    Comments about an April 16 LTH dinner at Otom can be found here. A few of the courses that Darren72 mentions above were featured in our dinner.
  • Post #47 - July 18th, 2008, 10:44 am
    Post #47 - July 18th, 2008, 10:44 am Post #47 - July 18th, 2008, 10:44 am
    Anyone been to Otom lately? Mellonhubby and I are thinking of doing the 1st Anniversary dinner there.
  • Post #48 - July 19th, 2008, 7:34 am
    Post #48 - July 19th, 2008, 7:34 am Post #48 - July 19th, 2008, 7:34 am
    mellonhead wrote:Anyone been to Otom lately? Mellonhubby and I are thinking of doing the 1st Anniversary dinner there.
    Was there last night- the menu continues to evolve and be refined. Took 4 folks who are not adventurous eaters and they loved it. The duck and the breakfast lyonnaise salad were both excellent.
    is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.
  • Post #49 - July 21st, 2008, 2:11 pm
    Post #49 - July 21st, 2008, 2:11 pm Post #49 - July 21st, 2008, 2:11 pm
    We ate at Otom for my hubby's birthday on July 3. We had never been and it was FABULOUS. We were very happy and would go back again in a minute.
    Highlights were our cocktails---I had a strawberry old fashioned with strawberries that must have been picked that day.
    The mac & cheese. I didn't have high hopes as it was called pepperoni mac & cheese, but as I am a mac addict I had to get it. It was complex and wonderful. DH who does not like pepperoni declared it to be his favorite of our appetizers.
    The edamame pie in the TV dinner. Fabulous! Though the coffee gravy was really WAY too much. It was like having latte flavored pudding poured over my delcious cauliflower mash. I would order the TV dinner again, but get the gravy on the side or not at all. DH's pork belly. Just awesome.
    And the dessert of Milk and Cookies was divine.
    The service was pleasant, friendly and attentive but not in your face.
    The wine list had some nice offerings and was reasonably priced.
    Red Hen bread and Chive butter....YUM.
    Complimentary glasses of prosecco at the end.
    And an offer to call us a cab because cabs are tough to come by in that neighborhood.
    A lovely and special experience. We just might go back for our anniversary as well!
  • Post #50 - October 2nd, 2009, 6:50 am
    Post #50 - October 2nd, 2009, 6:50 am Post #50 - October 2nd, 2009, 6:50 am
    $30 for $60 Groupon offer today - http://www.groupon.com/deals/otom?utm_c ... newsletter
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #51 - October 4th, 2009, 8:49 am
    Post #51 - October 4th, 2009, 8:49 am Post #51 - October 4th, 2009, 8:49 am
    Otom has a new chef and based upon my meal there last night, I'd say he's turning out some pretty decent food. But unfortunately, I'm not sure there is anyone really running this restaurant and thus, Otom is a runaway train that better be careful before it completely runs off the tracks.

Last night, Otom wasn't just running out of food . . . it was running out of wine, wine glasses and the paper towel dispenser in the men's bathroom was even out of paper towels (although dozens were overflowing from the wastebasket and many were scattered on the floor). We were even told that they had to run to Moto for some wine glasses. And when you have only approximately 6-7 red wines on the menu and you run out of your lightest reds, you've got a big problem. Hello? Is there anyone in charge?

And we've yet to talk about the excessive wait. Arrive at 8:20 for an 8:30 reservation, you're told your table is not quite ready, you order a cocktail at the bar, it takes 15 minutes to deliver the cocktail and without an apology. Perhaps it would be a good idea to hire a second bartender? Otom is leaving a lot of money in their guests pockets by being unable and unwilling to serve up alcohol.

On the plus side, Otom is serious about their cocktails and they were excellent - a very good Manhattan and an excellent cocktail with jalapeno-infused rum with muddled cilantro, pineapple syrup and lime.

The next problem was that we were not seated for our 8:30 reservation until 9:00. Hardly an apology for the seating delay. But then the pacing of the meal was also glacially slow. We ordered two more cocktails, two glasses of wine and an iced tea and it took them 25 minutes to deliver these, which was also well after we ordered dinner. And nearly 35 minutes after sitting down, and well after we had ordered dinner, we were all given a piece of average sourdough bread which looked like it had been cut by an extremely busy parent preparing dinner for several starving children. We then had to remind the waitress to bring us the olive butter which she had nicely described before she brought us the bread.

As for food, quality was pretty good although it seemed like a few items had been sitting for a while.

Appetizer of potato chip gnocchi with blue cheese, a parmesan tuile, champagne grapes and pine nuts was tasty and the gnocchi well cooked, although I only had a couple of bites (not sure where the chips came in). It delivered a nice blue cheese flavor although the tuile lacked the crispness it should have delivered if freshly made.

A caesar salad was generally well executed, but boring. The only element which interested me was the whole white anchovies which were tasty.

As for mains, the pork chop with a bacon bread pudding, haricot verts and an olive-caper current sauce was very nice, although the pork chop had become lukewarm (probably sitting too long in the kitchen) while the rest of the plate's components were hot. The bacon bread pudding delivered a rich and delicious bacon flavor without being overwhelming. The sauce was a very nice complement to the pork.

I only had a small taste of the chicken and waffles but that one taste was appealing. The chicken breast was nicely fried and moist and served atop a sweet potato waffle (a bit mushy but still good).

A couple of sides we ordered were excellent. First, mac & cheese with truffle, bacon and white cheddar. The macaroni had a nice bite to it and the cheese sauce was very creamy and delivered great flavor. The grits with barbecued brussel sprouts were very creamy and delicious. If you go, I highly recommend these sides. Each one would be perfect for two people to share.

We were given two complementary desserts after we indicated that we were too full for dessert, although we did mention that one person in our group was celebrating a birthday. They brought the desserts out as an apology for all of the waiting (not only were we seated 30 minutes after our reservation time, but it took us close to 2 1/2 hours to finish 3 courses, sans coffee). The first was a chilled chocolate dome with peanut butter nougat, chicory caramel, pretzel brittle, cream soda fluff and sea salt. All of the components were very flavorful, but this dish needed deeper, darker chocolate for it all to come together. As it was, I'd say it was decent. The other dessert was some sort of apple, oatmeal crumble which I thought was very good. It was served with what I recall being like a very tangy yogurt mousse and it was served in a cast iron pot.

I've always liked the atmosphere at Otom, and the food last night was good enough to make me want to return, but all of the problems - multiple menu items unavailable, multiple wines unavailable, running out of wine glasses, having to wait a minimum 15 minutes even for a glass of wine, a filthy men's room which nobody cared to clean (perhaps for the entire weekend) and just very slow service throughout the evening - will leave me to rely upon others to tell me how Otom progresses. Otom needs more than a chef, a bartender, a host and a few waitpersons - it needs someone who runs the restaurant . . . that seemed to be sorely missing last night.
  • Post #52 - October 4th, 2009, 9:03 am
    Post #52 - October 4th, 2009, 9:03 am Post #52 - October 4th, 2009, 9:03 am
    BR wrote:Appetizer of potato chip gnocchi with blue cheese, a parmesan tuile, champagne grapes and pine nuts was tasty and the gnocchi well cooked, although I only had a couple of bites (not sure where the chips came in).

My guess is that they ground up potato chips into a flour or meal, then added egg or other wet ingredient to make a batter.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #53 - October 5th, 2009, 4:59 am
    Post #53 - October 5th, 2009, 4:59 am Post #53 - October 5th, 2009, 4:59 am
    Kennyz wrote:
    BR wrote:Appetizer of potato chip gnocchi with blue cheese, a parmesan tuile, champagne grapes and pine nuts was tasty and the gnocchi well cooked, although I only had a couple of bites (not sure where the chips came in).

My guess is that they ground up potato chips into a flour or meal, then added egg or other wet ingredient to make a batter.

This reminds of the potato chip cookie that Twisted Sister Bakery sells. It's a crisp little tea cookie, though the potato chips are very discernible since, if I remember correctly, they also top the cookie with a few crushed chips. I'm not saying the cookie is worth trying (I'm also not saying that I don't love potato chips). It's just another example of potato chips being repurposed. :wink:

Twisted Sister Bakery
    1543 N Wells St
    Chicago IL 60610-1363
  • Post #54 - January 28th, 2010, 2:19 pm
    Post #54 - January 28th, 2010, 2:19 pm Post #54 - January 28th, 2010, 2:19 pm
    3 of us dined at Otom last night--a cold, snowy night when not many others made that same choice.

We were very pleased that we did.

From what our server explained, the menu is recently revamped (http://www.otomrestaurant.com/menu/main) under new-ish chef Thomas Bowman (who I believe had worked at Moto).

None of us had eaten there before, but I had seen previous iterations of the menu, and this one seems to be a rather straightforward, moderately priced version.

We started with the burrata tartine - baby arugala, edamame, lemon vinaigrette; and
    grilled octopus- asparagus, truffle, caper, tomato. Obviously not a seasonal menu (asparagus, tomato), but the octopus was deftly prepared with good char. And, honestly, I don't recall any tomatoes being involved.

My dining companions next had bar fare--the Cuban sandwich and the burger respectively. And, seriously, the burger ("burger - fried green tomatoes, pancetta, fontina, beet chips") was an inspired combo--really good stuff (the beet chips were the side, not atop the burger). Chicago is not exactly devoid of burger options, of course, but this one was top-shelf. The Cuban was devoured as well--especially beloved was the bread, which seemed to be frybread-ish, if that makes sense (and I realize to a Cuban sandwich purist it makes the opposite of sense, but it worked in this composition). I had the pork thing (pressed pork belly - pork tenderloin, sweet potato, blood orange, kale, huckleberry). Nothing revelatory about the preparation, and it was a little sweet, but I had to be stopped from licking the plate. Pork on a cold cold night was just right.
    And to finish, we shared a bowl of black tea ice cream which tasted, according to one at the table, "like Christmas."

As I mentioned, there were very few others in the place, and hopefully that was entirely he product of it being a very cold January Wednesday. Otom have a Tuesday $25 prixe fixe which will bring us back. Well, the very well executed food, the low-key, thoughtful service, the moderate prices and the still-cool space will be the key to bringing us back. Hopefully for them, others will continue to dine there as well.
  • Post #55 - April 17th, 2010, 10:04 am
    Post #55 - April 17th, 2010, 10:04 am Post #55 - April 17th, 2010, 10:04 am
    My wife and I had an exceptional meal at Otom last night.

We stared with two really interesting cocktails that were as good as any I've had in the city. The first is called "Cucumbers are made of Pickles" (Hendrick’s, dill, cucumber, lime, Midori, soda) and had a really nice dell effervescence. The second is called "Unsettled" (Boomsma Oude, Cynar, sweet vermouth, cardamom bitters), which reminded me of a Martinez.

For appetizers we had german potato salad gnocchi and pork belly croquettes. The gnocchi were incredibly light and a tasted like, well, the best potato salad ever. The croquettes were also light and very flavorful. For dinner we split a monkfish served with beluga lentils and a dish that had some flat iron steak, beef tongue, and a little square of scalloped potatoes. We split a piece of parsnip pie for dessert. All in all, it was an excellent meal. Each dish was original and interesting and, of course, tasted great. We hadn't been in a while and will try to make it there more often.

Service was excellent and the prices struck us as quite reasonable (even low). Main courses are around $20 and appetizers are around $10.

We were surprised that the dining room was not quite half full, even though it was a Friday night.
  • Post #56 - April 17th, 2010, 10:11 am
    Post #56 - April 17th, 2010, 10:11 am Post #56 - April 17th, 2010, 10:11 am
    Damn. We gotta get back there - the dinner we had a couple of years ago was delicious, and the service was terrific, including the waiter overhearing that we were heading to Steppenwolf afterward, and quietly arranging for a cab to pick us up. (!)

Thanks for the kick in the tuchis, Darrin! It's a place that should be supported. :)
  • Post #57 - April 18th, 2010, 9:32 pm
    Post #57 - April 18th, 2010, 9:32 pm Post #57 - April 18th, 2010, 9:32 pm
    Care to elaborate a bit on the Parsnip pie? I just got some fresh from the ground in my Veggie box order from Irv & Shelly's and was thinking it would be nice to do something non-wintry with them...would love to know a bit more about your dessert :)
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #58 - May 11th, 2010, 1:03 pm
    Post #58 - May 11th, 2010, 1:03 pm Post #58 - May 11th, 2010, 1:03 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Care to elaborate a bit on the Parsnip pie? I just got some fresh from the ground in my Veggie box order from Irv & Shelly's and was thinking it would be nice to do something non-wintry with them...would love to know a bit more about your dessert :)

I just saw this post now - I'm sorry about that. My recollection was that it was similar in texture to a pumpkin pie. It didn't have a lot of spice to it so the parsnip flavor really came through. My guess would be to start by taking your favorite pumpkin pie recipe and using parsnips in place of pumpkin, and alter the spices to suit your taste.
  • Post #59 - October 14th, 2010, 8:11 pm
    Post #59 - October 14th, 2010, 8:11 pm Post #59 - October 14th, 2010, 8:11 pm
    I had dinner there tonight with my partner. As he put it, "At least the water was good." First time there, and oh my, what a dreadful, disappointing experience. It wasn't so much that the execution was bad, the conceptual level of the dishes was bad. A "tea smoked octopus" was charred, dried, tasteless octopus except for the taste of cardboard and char/charcoal. My chicken dish was nothing more than a roasted thigh/drumstick (I was anticipating a chicken breast +). My partner had the flat iron steak, which had everything going on. As he put it, "It has the steak, grapes, haricot vert, some bread, and who knows what else." He offered me a taste (before giving his taken on it) and I thought to myself "Too much going on here....I've seen something called a 'garbage salad' at Erie Cafe, and I thought this must be what that is like." Everything but the kitchen sink.

My first and last time at this restaurant.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more