LTH Home

Paramount Room: Bring Your Wallet

Paramount Room: Bring Your Wallet
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - February 28th, 2009, 7:07 am
    Post #91 - February 28th, 2009, 7:07 am Post #91 - February 28th, 2009, 7:07 am
    Just there yesterday,

The fries may be soaked differently - but Steven was soaked the exact same way. Thanks for the shots Bud! I am rarely happier than sitting at bar at Paramount with my Wagyu Burger and Unibroue.

Cheers

P.S. Is it possible to change the name of this thread yet? I think the overwhelming majority of posts have been positive.
  • Post #92 - February 28th, 2009, 9:28 am
    Post #92 - February 28th, 2009, 9:28 am Post #92 - February 28th, 2009, 9:28 am
    jdymeats wrote:
    P.S. Is it possible to change the name of this thread yet?

I have to agree, I thought Paramount Room was a bargain, and excellent.
    R.I.P. jimswside - 5/2/16

@GrubSeeker
  • Post #93 - February 28th, 2009, 11:04 am
    Post #93 - February 28th, 2009, 11:04 am Post #93 - February 28th, 2009, 11:04 am
    jimswside wrote:
    jdymeats wrote:
    P.S. Is it possible to change the name of this thread yet?

I have to agree, I thought Paramount Room was a bargain, and excellent.

I third the notion. $5 dollar shot and a beer. $10 Kobe burger and a pint...even if I always add a fried egg, bacon, and cheese for a dollar each...totally worth it! I will happily bring my wallet any day, and feel like I got great food and beer for less than I would at many other establishments of the same category.

On Thursday, I had the usual burger and added green beans, which I think have also been perfected. Firm, crisp, and not very greasy.
    "We eat slowly and with gusto." - Paul Bäumer in AQOTWF
  • Post #94 - February 28th, 2009, 12:13 pm
    Post #94 - February 28th, 2009, 12:13 pm Post #94 - February 28th, 2009, 12:13 pm
    jdymeats wrote:P.S. Is it possible to change the name of this thread yet? I think the overwhelming majority of posts have been positive.

This has already been discussed in detail and the short answer is no. The thread title will change only if the person who started the thread changes it. We don't edit posts for editorial content, subject lines included. Feel free, though, to start another thread with a more positive title, if you so desire.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the moderators
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #95 - March 15th, 2009, 2:55 pm
    Post #95 - March 15th, 2009, 2:55 pm Post #95 - March 15th, 2009, 2:55 pm
    Returned to the Paramount Room yesterday for my 4th or 5th visit. We only planned on taking advantage of the $10 burger and pint deal and moving on to St. Patty's day celebrations, but we enjoyed ourselves so much we ended up spending over 4 hours at the bar. It's a great place to spend an afternoon - very friendly patrons and service. And I love the ever-changing list of beer on tap. This has quickly become one of my favorite places in Chicago.

My one quibble with the place has been the doneness of the burgers, though I have adjusted my order accordingly. Ordered my burger rare, and received what I wanted, a beautiful medium-rare burger topped with a runny egg that rates among the best I've had. The ale steamed mussels were also very nice, very fresh and the broth is just fantastic.

As an aside, I noticed that Paramount Room has gift certificates available on the Emmis Half Price website - $25 gets you two $25 gift certificates. That makes what's already a fantastic deal - the $10 burger and pint - even better.
  • Post #96 - March 18th, 2009, 12:54 pm
    Post #96 - March 18th, 2009, 12:54 pm Post #96 - March 18th, 2009, 12:54 pm
    Two burgers ordered medium rare, two burgers provided perfectly medium rare last night. What a delightful place to escape the St. Patty's Day crowds with a staff that actually know something about whiskeys, and make their own corned beef and fried pickles. Paramount continues to impress me with its low-key, friendly service, good pricing, and excellent ingredient quality.
  • Post #97 - March 18th, 2009, 1:07 pm
    Post #97 - March 18th, 2009, 1:07 pm Post #97 - March 18th, 2009, 1:07 pm
    Santander wrote:Two burgers ordered medium rare, two burgers provided perfectly medium rare last night. What a delightful place to escape the St. Patty's Day crowds with a staff that actually know something about whiskeys, and make their own corned beef and fried pickles. Paramount continues to impress me with its low-key, friendly service, good pricing, and excellent ingredient quality.

Why were you drinking whiskey on half-price wine night? Tuesday's at Paramount are a steal. I took Paramount Room off the weekly-or-so rotation, but recent reports are encouraging me to put it back on.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #98 - March 18th, 2009, 1:18 pm
    Post #98 - March 18th, 2009, 1:18 pm Post #98 - March 18th, 2009, 1:18 pm
    Kennyz wrote:
    Santander wrote:Two burgers ordered medium rare, two burgers provided perfectly medium rare last night. What a delightful place to escape the St. Patty's Day crowds with a staff that actually know something about whiskeys, and make their own corned beef and fried pickles. Paramount continues to impress me with its low-key, friendly service, good pricing, and excellent ingredient quality.

Why were you drinking whiskey on half-price wine night? Tuesday's at Paramount are a steal. I took Paramount Room off the weekly-or-so rotation, but recent reports are encouraging me to put it back on.

'Twas the Irish in me, though to be pan-Gaelic we also had some scotch.
  • Post #99 - March 18th, 2010, 8:43 am
    Post #99 - March 18th, 2010, 8:43 am Post #99 - March 18th, 2010, 8:43 am
    My wife, a friend, and I had a nice meal at the Paramount Room last night. We started with roasted beets and goat cheese, and a dish that had cauliflower and a few other things on top of a corn bread cake. Both were nice dishes. For main courses my wife and I split the fried chicken and a veal sausage. The chicken was a half chicken and was done really nicely. The crust had a subtle pepper taste and the meat was quite moist. The veal sausage was a special and was very good. Our friend had the DMB burger. This is not their standard $9 kobe burger, but a slightly larger one that came with pico de gallo and avocado. Strangely, it was served without a bun. We didn't know if this was intentional or a mistake - our recollection of the menu was that it didn't say anything about the bun being there or not being there. Our friend was perfectly happy to skip the bun anyways, so we didn't ask about it.

We had two minor annoyances. First, we had a reservation, but when we arrived we were seated at a small high-boy table that could barely fit our plates and drinks. No other table was available when we arrived, but we noticed that two of the picnic bench-types of seats could fit four people but only had two people. The second annoyance compounded the first: our main courses arrived about a minute after our appetizers. This is a pain in its own right, but made worse by the fact that the table was too small to hold our dinner plates, let alone our dinner plates plus two appetizers.
  • Post #100 - January 3rd, 2011, 9:04 pm
    Post #100 - January 3rd, 2011, 9:04 pm Post #100 - January 3rd, 2011, 9:04 pm
    After being sorely disappointed by a stumbling Blackhawks team last Thursday my friend and I stopped by the Paramount Room on the way home to temper the sting. Things started off well when I pulled up to find rock star parking awaiting. It was my first visit despite having many friends recommend it to me and I was pleasantly surprised to see a friendly face tending the bar who quickly got us into a booth. We were told that there was a special of a tongue sandwich and that it was a *definite* order. Having faith in her conviction we both ordered the sandwich to go with our Two Hearted ales.

Oh my, I had this four days ago and even with the intervening NYE weekend and all that it entailed I'm *still* thinking about this - in a good way. The tongue had been marinated and slow cooked so that it was almost like a tongue-pot-roast and just melted in my mouth while releasing waves of rich, earthy flavor. I will definitely be returning to PR to sample other options but if you happen to be there and this dish is available, you can't go wrong getting it.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #101 - January 4th, 2011, 2:00 pm
    Post #101 - January 4th, 2011, 2:00 pm Post #101 - January 4th, 2011, 2:00 pm
    My wife and I went to Paramount last Wednesday. The food was excellent. We each had the French onion soup. I had the fish and chips, which had great flavor. She had the skirt steak, which was even better. The only downside was that they didn't time the food very well. It took a long time for the soup to come out, and then our main courses came to the table 10 minutes later. They need to get their act together on this. Next time, I'll order the appetizer/first course first, and then order my main course when the first course shows up.
    John Danza
  • Post #102 - March 8th, 2011, 8:37 am
    Post #102 - March 8th, 2011, 8:37 am Post #102 - March 8th, 2011, 8:37 am
    My wife and I just visited the Paramount Room for lunch on Sunday (our second visit). The meal was very good - I had the reuben on marble rye (featuring some of the best, melt-in-your mouth tender corned beef) and my wife had nicely done fish and chips (not the best in Chicago - an honor that I reserve to the Village Tavern in Schaumburg - but nevertheless this rendition was very good). The deep-fried green beans with the house hot sauce are a special treat.
  • Post #103 - July 18th, 2017, 7:25 am
    Post #103 - July 18th, 2017, 7:25 am Post #103 - July 18th, 2017, 7:25 am
    Paramount Room will celebrate its 10th anniversary on Aug. 27 — and then will close for keeps one month later.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct ... story.html
    "Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate!"
    Paul Lynde
  • Post #104 - August 30th, 2017, 3:13 pm
    Post #104 - August 30th, 2017, 3:13 pm Post #104 - August 30th, 2017, 3:13 pm
    ChicagoTribune.com wrote:Paramount Room (415 N. Milwaukee Ave.), which had announced it would close its doors at the end of September, instead will serve its last dinner this Saturday.

Paramount Room closing Saturday, a month sooner than expected

=R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #105 - September 6th, 2017, 8:13 pm
    Post #105 - September 6th, 2017, 8:13 pm Post #105 - September 6th, 2017, 8:13 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    ChicagoTribune.com wrote:Paramount Room (415 N. Milwaukee Ave.), which had announced it would close its doors at the end of September, instead will serve its last dinner this Saturday.

Paramount Room closing Saturday, a month sooner than expected

=R=

Actually not their *last* dinner. They are having a farewell dinner on Sept 21st. Between now and then, though, no service.
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more