LTH Home

"Kitchen Nightmares" at Cafe 36, La Grange

"Kitchen Nightmares" at Cafe 36, La Grange
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - March 4th, 2008, 6:59 pm
    Post #61 - March 4th, 2008, 6:59 pm Post #61 - March 4th, 2008, 6:59 pm
    Vie is a fabulous restaurant. In my opinion, one of the best next to Sunflower. But I have to laugh at the fact that the wrap party was held at Vie. Why not at the kitchen you just made over? lol
    I can only assume that the staff nor GR had any interest in eating there.
    One never waits at Vie.
    Cheers!
  • Post #62 - March 6th, 2008, 10:14 pm
    Post #62 - March 6th, 2008, 10:14 pm Post #62 - March 6th, 2008, 10:14 pm
    Last year when Hammond and I had our one week deluge of media requests due to our willingness to eat cicadas. It was interesting to watch the different media crews go about their business. Our first entrée was the crew from Good Morning America at Marilyn Pocius’ home. There were two cameramen, a producer, an assistant producer and an on-air talent. While they may have had an image in their minds on the outcome, it wasn’t apparent to us. Their shooting was helter skelter enough one couldn’t precisely predict the outcome. Late into this shoot, they commented there would be footage for their segment and stock footage that could be fed to the network for local editing and programming. Consequently our efforts were seen on Good Morning America, local WLS-TV and at least in California. Why California? My good friend Helen was visiting relatives, turned on the television to find my cheery self eating a cicada.

The crew from WTTW’s Chicago Tonight was simply a cameraman and a producer who acted as director and later film editor. They had a well thought out idea of how the piece would evolve with some input from Hammond. While I participated, I spent a lot of time observing and learning. The Chicago Tonight’s filming was linear enough I was pretty sure of the segment’s outcome. I was also far more impressed by their low budget thoughtful approach than their larger budget network associates.

When Louisa Chu recollected for last week’s Chicago Foodway Roundtable meeting her experiences filming with Bourdain as well as for the Diary of a Foodie. It was again the small focused crew on budgets who had to make every effort count. Her first interaction with Bourdain, there was a crew of 5 people: cameraman, producer, assistant producer, driver and Bourdain. The success of his show has allowed the expansion of his crew to a princely 7 people, though I have no recollection what those other two do.

Last Saturday afternoon, Louisa, Helen and I set off to see the Kitchen Nightmare set in LaGrange. Those who reported initially on the Kitchen Nightmare experience had focused on their meals and service details. They commented little on the production environment leading me to believe there were maybe several small crews unobtrusively working there. What a surprise to turn onto Calendar Court to find a small tent city in the municipal parking lot. There were at least 4 heated tents: crew dining, staging area for restaurant guests, equipment and unknown purpose for the 4th. There was a mobile home serving as headquarters, a luxury Kohler his and hers toilet trailer marked ‘production’ and a UPS delivery truck sized portable kitchen. When we casually inquired with a kitchen crew member how many mouths he fed, he shot back it was 60-70. To clarify further I inquired if this was 60-70 meals for the day or 60-70 diners per service, he said 60-70 diners per service.

We approached the intersection before Café 36 to find a police officer redirecting traffic. Just past him was a crane on wheels with robotic camera to film exterior shots. What little crew we saw was indifferently doing their work and taking no notice of us. We walked around noticing nobody challenged us, we then walked up to the restaurant windows trying to look in. Louisa and I walked into the vestibule and could look into the restaurant. We knew they had already changed over the restaurant, though never having been there before could not begin to understand how significant any changes may have been. There was a glass enclosed poster declaring, ‘The New Café 36.’ I wasn’t so much reading it, but studying how to take a picture due to ambient light and glass tendency to reflect. Deep in reflection I didn’t pay much attention to the men who walked in from the street and quickly past us. Louisa far more alert to their presence later advised I missed Gordon Ramsay walking past with a cell phone stuck to his ear. The tail end of the party began a conversation, “What are you doing here? What is so interesting?” Louisa quickly injected, “We were hoping to have dinner tonight.” My mental Mary Jane was ready to blurt, “But your voicemail says you are booked up,” but I hushed her for the moment. This man directed someone to accompany us to the restaurant staging tent to see if arrangements could be made to get us dinner in the restaurant tonight. This was certainly an opportunity we never expected to be offered.

We were handed over to Kevin, the lion at the gate, who was very pleasant. He informed us there was no seating available tonight though he appreciated our interest. Louisa interjected, “There is always a chance a party may not arrive.” Kevin acknowledged this was true, then suggested we could return around 7:30 PM to check if someone indeed did not arrive. With our nose in the tent, Louisa and I went into full colorful characters tag team. Louisa inquired if there was a dress code, Kevin informed us there was no dress code. While Louisa dressed in black looked quite chic was never going to have a problem. I gave a sigh of relief before revealing I was wearing my red ‘Year of the Pig’ shirt from the Pork Council, whose logo I lowered my coat to reveal. Of course I reminded him I could have been dressed even worse! I had considered wearing my black shirt with the big pink pig on the back. Kevin was appearing to warm us to us more and more as we got more and more animated. He again said we should come back at 7:30 and winked. Our spirits rose with the hopes his gesture meant a guarantee of dining in Café 36. Noticing the stack of releases on his table, I inquired what was the protocol. He said after signing the releases, they took a still photo and maybe an on-camera interview that might be used for promotional purposes. We learned signing the release did not obligated us to keep our mouth shut. Kevin said, “We want you to go out there talking up your experience and talking up the show.” We left thrilled there was a chance to dine at Café 36. We were also the only ones who were taking an interest in this production. There were no other gawkers on the street following the production’s progress. Our little trio was just about as close to groupies as could possibly be evidenced, if we could even be defined as such.

We left to tour the vicinity, visit Vie and generally tour LaGrange, which we thought was far more upscale than some prior comments had led us to believe. Upon returning to the staging area a bit after 6 PM, we met Kevin again who reminded us to come around 7:15 PM. Louisa smartly observed that once we are in their clutches, there was no certainty we would be eating very soon. Walking toward the restaurant, we had our second Gordon Ramsay citing. He was on the sidewalk with his arms flailing walking into the restaurant. We could barely make him out in the windows with those arms still flying. A few moments later, Ramsay is back on the street repeating his temperamental entry to the restaurant. We smiled at each other looking forward to whatever antics we might observe up close later.

We opted to share some appetizers and drinks at La Pinta Mexican restaurant directly across from Café 36 commandeering a window table. Again, we were the only people taking an active interest in the production. There were no restaurant patrons, nor crowds or even teenagers hanging out to see the production on the street. Clearly the town was thoroughly unimpressed, because the tent city and equipment did not allow a low profile and yet nobody was there. From our perch, we could see the bottom halves of people dining in Café 36 across the street. There was one restless little boy who was peeking beneath the privacy screen onto the empty street populated only by the crew and camera crane. Our view was partially blocked by an SUV. It ceased to be a problem when the crew rearranged the cars to vary the streetscape, which they did several times during the evening.

Louisa suggested we arrive back to the restaurant staging tent by 7:05 and not much later. She had a keen sense of how to approach this situation better than I, so we followed her lead. When we returned Kevin reported dinner service was already delayed. The people he had camped in the tent may never see dinner, because the crew may decide they’re finished before those customers make it inside. We understood we had a slim chance to get in, thus we were not too terribly disappointed. We gave Kevin our visit cards and he promised to send us an update e-mail sometime soon.

We decided to return to La Pinta Mexican restaurant to continue comfortably observing from their picture window. We found when we returned there was a couple interested in the window seat, too. They had a friend who did have a chance to dine in Café 36 due to her association with the local chamber of commerce, though this woman knew nothing of the show. She visited her friends before going to the restaurant to learn about Gordon Ramsay, how the show is conducted and what to look forward to. This lucky woman spent quite a bit of her visit to Café 36 text messaging to her friends across from us. She also spent the briefest time in the restaurant because they claimed to be out of food. Yet we saw others go later into the restaurant and not come out. I will venture to guess her preoccupation in texting her friend earned her an early dismissal.

Shortly before this woman was dismissed, we had our third Gordon Ramsay citing. Gordon ran from the restaurant with an attendant toward the trailers. A few minutes later he did another quick dash back. While it was chilly outside and certainly time was a premium, the necessity to run seemed more like evasive tactics as if followed by admiring crowds. Except there was nobody else on the street who wasn’t paid to be there and they could care less he just ran past them. The whole scene conjured up comments made about Bourdain’s visit to Chicago a few years ago when maybe two dozen people came for a book signing. Recently there was a long line ringing the store to get his autograph. Despite the movie scene setting, Gordon Ramsay’s star has not yet risen enough to draw crowds. It may be different in the UK, but he hasn’t taken off here.

Our entertaining moments from our window seat would approach watching paint dry in many people’s estimates. The camera crane was positioned to the west of the restaurant, which allowed them to film people walking from behind toward the restaurant. Apparently people’s strolling techniques didn’t appeal to them because the same people kept getting sent back to do it again. Later they moved the camera crane to the east of the entrance to film these very same people approaching the restaurant. Recollecting Kevin’s comments the crew might shut down the restaurant before those in the staging area ate. I was hoping these people were not being teased, then sent home hungry. Eventually over time they finally did go into the restaurant to dine, though there was at least 90 minutes spent walking back and forth periodically. It made us feel somewhat better not to be stuck in that Twilight Zone of oh so near and yet not right now vector.

Eventually the exterior shots were concluded and the equipment was packed up. The manager of La Pinta Mexican restaurant came over to look out the window, too. We asked him what physical changes he had observed to the restaurant’s façade. On the wood carved marquee, he pointed out the words ‘American Bistro’ had been covered with medallions. In the restaurant’s window was a gilt frame with two decorative panels where once the menus were displayed. The windows had been papered over for a day, so he couldn’t comment on any interior design changes. The street now effectively empty, we decided to pay our tab and try to see a bit more from a closer perspective.

Cameras in hand with the flash turned off, Louisa and I started taking pictures of the small changes the manager had observed. We tried to look into the restaurant, though the privacy screen only allowed a dim view. We could barely make out the second half of the restaurant was closed with camera crew and production staff resting. It seemed any production action was coming from the vicinity of the kitchen in the rear. Of course, you really couldn’t make out much, which meant they could hardly be aware of our presence, too.

We were on the edge of departing when we were approached by 4-5 men whose leader said, “What are you doing here? What is so interesting? Why are you taking pictures?” We indicated we were looking around to see what was going on. We were advised to move on, which we didn’t exactly jump to. When the lead person held his hands together in faux pleading, “Please don’t make it difficult. Go home.” When we advised we were doing nothing to obstruct them, he retorted, “We have had to re-shoot three major scenes because of your getting in the way. Are you going to make this difficult?” It was unimaginable we were party to any interference because we very purposefully kept to the fringes. When there was no budge from our side, he said to his colleagues, “Get the police!” A LaGrange police officer came forward to advise we were loitering. Louisa took the lead on this matter inquiring on the definitions of loitering while taking down his name and badge number. What had been an amusing if relatively uneventful evening dissolved into an unpleasant experience as we finally moved on to our car and home.

If Gordon Ramsay was truly a hot commodity, then this protection of his being, the set and environs would be understandable. There was simply no interest taken by the surrounding public beyond the three of us. The crew’s power play seemed more ego driven than by any serious intrusion we may have offered. If you juxtaposition their guarded behavior against Kevin’s suggestion to, “Talk up the show,” they seriously misjudged the situation. If they really wanted to promote the show, then letting those three ladies dine and mingle with Gordon Ramsay would have reaped them dividends.

Louisa learned there will be a surprise visit by Chef Ramsay. I joked if they come this heavily laden with crew and equipment. Cafe 36 will have some advance notice of his visit.

Of course the best part of the evening was my having yet another good story to tell and the delightful company of friends.

La Pinta Restaurant
    25 W Calendar Ave,
    La Grange, IL
    (708) 354-8100

(edit to correct spelling from Ramsey to Ramsay per sundevilpeg)

Regards,
    Last edited by Cathy2 on March 9th, 2008, 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #63 - March 7th, 2008, 9:44 am
    Post #63 - March 7th, 2008, 9:44 am Post #63 - March 7th, 2008, 9:44 am
    Wow - thanks for the play by play! Yeah, I nearly got arrested - takes 5 PAs and their cop buddy to take me out. :wink: I'm much more upset about missing that wrap party at Vie - as Gordo says, "F*** me!"
  • Post #64 - March 7th, 2008, 10:57 am
    Post #64 - March 7th, 2008, 10:57 am Post #64 - March 7th, 2008, 10:57 am
    cathy2 you are my hero 8)
  • Post #65 - March 7th, 2008, 11:48 am
    Post #65 - March 7th, 2008, 11:48 am Post #65 - March 7th, 2008, 11:48 am
    Just think what a young Wim Wenders could do with your play-by-play. Great read. :)
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #66 - March 8th, 2008, 8:57 am
    Post #66 - March 8th, 2008, 8:57 am Post #66 - March 8th, 2008, 8:57 am
    Hi,

I was asked privately, "Did this really happen as stated?" Yes!

This picture from late afternoon shows the exciting street scene as well as the white medallions covering, 'American Bistro.'

The scene from our comfortable perch inside La Pinta:

The gilt frame where once the menu was displayed:

Once the crew had packed up, then we could see better without their strong lights:

Just a wee bit closer to avoid reflection from the street lamps:

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #67 - March 8th, 2008, 10:39 am
    Post #67 - March 8th, 2008, 10:39 am Post #67 - March 8th, 2008, 10:39 am
    Great report, Cathy2!
    I had not heard of this show, and became curious because of this thread. I ended up obsessively watching episode after episode on youtube.
    The funny thing is that I have worked on features and tv shows as crew, and now shoot documentaries so this all is a beautiful coalescing of topics for me. Not even to mention that "Kitchen Nightmares" is about so much more than restaurants. I find the life lessons to be fascinating.
    I must speak up, however, in defense of the production, and the confrontation with Cathy2. Could it have been handled with more courtesy? Absolutely. But I have struggled mightly with "looky-loo"s in the past so I know that for it to have reached that level it was not about egos, but about exhausted people under an incredible amount of stress, and for the man to literally beg with his hands -- he was truly asking for a break.
    Also, I find the speculation as to why Gordon was running was funny to me. Production is like a war, many hours of boredom with sudden periods of terror. The only reason someone runs on a set is when they are being crushed. Crushed by money or time or losing their job. When people are shooting the outside world ceases to exist except when it thwarts their goals. It is an incredibly selfish and self absorbed process.
    Anyway, my 2cents, because I am always humbled by my fellow posters knowledge of food, so I am thrilled to be able to post about something I know a little about!
  • Post #68 - March 8th, 2008, 1:49 pm
    Post #68 - March 8th, 2008, 1:49 pm Post #68 - March 8th, 2008, 1:49 pm
    Sorry, Kaga - but I wanted to add - maybe the truth is somewhere between here
    KagaTakeshi wrote:...The place genuinely has problems in addition to and far beyond the reality of a TV crew being present....this is a business in need of a manager to crack a whip.

And here
    2146 north wrote:... When you watch him interview the management too many of them seem to be in the business for the wrong reasons. It amazes me that these people make it as long as they do. Most have no clue how to coordinate a front romm with the kitchen. ...They all are in the wrong business, or at least have no clue of how to do food service.....All one has to do is watch Jerry Springer and his kind. It amazes me how bad people will allow themselves to be exploited for their 15 minutes....If I see any mold in coolers this year I can only think it is a plant. If I were on this show it would be the first thing I would make sure my kitchen did not have.

I agree, most "failed" restaurants have to do with bad management...and, having worked in food service, one prime indicator of bad management is a (justly or unjustly) dissatisfied staff that expresses their anger by pointedly doing a bad job. While the show may or may not be staging extraordinarily bad service, it may well be providing a forum for this type of behavior, which would be exacerbated here by the very public nature of television. While I'm sure editing helps this along, human nature, too, plays a role in differentiating real from reality television.

I have a pretty strong stomach, but I don't know that I'd eat at a "before" for this show, unless I was being comped and knew the staff...
  • Post #69 - March 8th, 2008, 10:44 pm
    Post #69 - March 8th, 2008, 10:44 pm Post #69 - March 8th, 2008, 10:44 pm
    FYI, the gentleman's name is Gordon Ramsay, not "Ramsey." I will keep my comments regarding his place in the chef's pantheon with respect to that of Bourdain to myself, other than to perhaps count their respective Michelin stars on my fingers.
  • Post #70 - March 9th, 2008, 8:31 am
    Post #70 - March 9th, 2008, 8:31 am Post #70 - March 9th, 2008, 8:31 am
    sundevilpeg wrote:FYI, the gentleman's name is Gordon Ramsay, not "Ramsey." I will keep my comments regarding his place in the chef's pantheon with respect to that of Bourdain to myself, other than to perhaps count their respective Michelin stars on my fingers.

Thank you. I have gone upstream to correct my spelling.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #71 - March 9th, 2008, 10:24 pm
    Post #71 - March 9th, 2008, 10:24 pm Post #71 - March 9th, 2008, 10:24 pm
    danak wrote:I had not heard of this show, and became curious because of this thread. I ended up obsessively watching episode after episode on youtube.

Thank you for commenting there were UK episodes on youtube.com. I can see why people prefer the UK version of this show. Far more meaty and gritty than the American variant. Somehow there is more character development and exploration of the systemic problems. Astute posters pointed out earlier the American version seeks out the villian, which is really too laser focussed and misses the point.

Again, thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #72 - March 10th, 2008, 9:20 am
    Post #72 - March 10th, 2008, 9:20 am Post #72 - March 10th, 2008, 9:20 am
    sundevilpeg wrote:FYI, the gentleman's name is Gordon Ramsay, not "Ramsey." I will keep my comments regarding his place in the chef's pantheon with respect to that of Bourdain to myself, other than to perhaps count their respective Michelin stars on my fingers.

I don't imagine anyone (Bourdain included) would think to compare him and Ramsay as chefs, would they?
  • Post #73 - March 10th, 2008, 9:39 am
    Post #73 - March 10th, 2008, 9:39 am Post #73 - March 10th, 2008, 9:39 am
    danak - I've been there too but this moment wasn't it. The one PA who was supposed to be guarding the interior entrance to the restaurant was slumped in a folding chair, staring off into nothingness, until he finally noticed us - that's how stealth we were ;) - and then scrambled to call over his walkie to "get the cop!" The other came running up and immediately got up in my face. Should I have continued walking away? Maybe. Should they have obtained permits to close off the street to the public? Evidently. They were not begging for a break - they were saying *F*** YOU" and giving us the figurative finger. My bad for letting it get to me - but you just do not f*** with my friends - especially over nothing. They were bored and wanted to flex. And you know what? Me too. I do think Gordo was just running because he had to get back to the shoot fast - plus it was cold and he likes to wear those weird little short-sleeved chef's jackets. Overall I do love watching him - and he's a lot taller and skinnier in person than on screen, where I think he looks a little doughy.

danak wrote:Great report, Cathy2!
    I had not heard of this show, and became curious because of this thread. I ended up obsessively watching episode after episode on youtube.
    The funny thing is that I have worked on features and tv shows as crew, and now shoot documentaries so this all is a beautiful coalescing of topics for me. Not even to mention that "Kitchen Nightmares" is about so much more than restaurants. I find the life lessons to be fascinating.
    I must speak up, however, in defense of the production, and the confrontation with Cathy2. Could it have been handled with more courtesy? Absolutely. But I have struggled mightly with "looky-loo"s in the past so I know that for it to have reached that level it was not about egos, but about exhausted people under an incredible amount of stress, and for the man to literally beg with his hands -- he was truly asking for a break.
    Also, I find the speculation as to why Gordon was running was funny to me. Production is like a war, many hours of boredom with sudden periods of terror. The only reason someone runs on a set is when they are being crushed. Crushed by money or time or losing their job. When people are shooting the outside world ceases to exist except when it thwarts their goals. It is an incredibly selfish and self absorbed process.
    Anyway, my 2cents, because I am always humbled by my fellow posters knowledge of food, so I am thrilled to be able to post about something I know a little about!
  • Post #74 - March 14th, 2008, 3:43 pm
    Post #74 - March 14th, 2008, 3:43 pm Post #74 - March 14th, 2008, 3:43 pm
    Now that you gave your impressions of the American production of the show, Cathy, I think the American version of this show should disappear, seems too premeditated, sensationalized and phony.

I was thinking that it took a large crew, but that many?, ridiculous., And the American version is too over the top with drama, like we all want to watch drama about a restaurant....puh-lease.

Also, the part where he gets the restaurant involved in some community service, while touching, is kinda hokey as well. Just get on with the bloody business, not patronizing us Americans that you give a crap.

I'll stick with the BBC show for now, no need to support snobby TV crews who phony it up for some ratings.

Pip..pip, cheerio, f**k me for watching, this show is in the s**t.
  • Post #75 - May 5th, 2008, 9:54 pm
    Post #75 - May 5th, 2008, 9:54 pm Post #75 - May 5th, 2008, 9:54 pm
    I just want everyone to know cafe36 has a new chef Barny Smith. Finally a chef who takes pride in his work.. Our service was excellent, not only did Doug make our drinks he made our night. Food was great, for a wed night i expected more of a crowd (or at least a few more than 6 other diners). This place deserves a second chance.
  • Post #76 - May 5th, 2008, 10:14 pm
    Post #76 - May 5th, 2008, 10:14 pm Post #76 - May 5th, 2008, 10:14 pm
    Hi,

Was the new chef acquired after the Gordon Ramsay shake-up? If yes, do you think this was a consequence of the show?

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #77 - May 5th, 2008, 10:44 pm
    Post #77 - May 5th, 2008, 10:44 pm Post #77 - May 5th, 2008, 10:44 pm
    He was their sous chef, and the one who called KN for help
  • Post #78 - May 5th, 2008, 10:48 pm
    Post #78 - May 5th, 2008, 10:48 pm Post #78 - May 5th, 2008, 10:48 pm
    DrFresh, are you associated with Cafe 36?
  • Post #79 - May 5th, 2008, 10:52 pm
    Post #79 - May 5th, 2008, 10:52 pm Post #79 - May 5th, 2008, 10:52 pm
    I also like the grittiness of the British Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, it's like Ken Loach next to all those chirpy Food Network TV people and their shows, but I noticed something in one episode which is revealing of how even a more realistic food show like this is constructed and only moderately follows the reality.

The episode was "The Curry Lounge," about a posh but mediocre Nottingham Indian restaurant, on a strip of Indo-Pak places. About halfway through, Ramsay has ditched the restaurant's make-your-own-curry menu and encouraged head chef Zahir to make a dish from his heritage, a lamb korma. It seems to be a success-- but a few moments later, he's importing a London chef to help devise a new menu and Zahir seems vaguely discontent. The episode ends with everyone happy about the restaurant's new direction...

"How Gordon spiced up the Curry Lounge. Owner Arfan Razak reveals what really happened when his restaurant got the Kitchen Nightmare treatment"

The staff are now much happier as a group and are pleased not to have me nagging them all the time. It was also a relief to have my Head Chef leave shortly after filming finished, as it made the kitchen a much nicer place to work.

In other words, Zahir quit shortly after filming finished, and his apparent discontent was not only real but stronger than the show let on. Offhand it seems likely that he no longer felt ownership of the menu after Ramsay and his friend changed it all. It's also possible that the menu was not so bad as the show portrayed it, and he was never happy with the changes, nor was he the man the kitchen looked up to as the show portrays him. It's not entirely clear what was really going on-- it's just more apparent in this one than in most that the story they choose to tell doesn't quite fit the footage they have.

The British Kitchen Nightmares is an interesting, realistic show-- but it's still television.

Clip from "The Curry Lounge"
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #80 - May 5th, 2008, 11:00 pm
    Post #80 - May 5th, 2008, 11:00 pm Post #80 - May 5th, 2008, 11:00 pm
    a friend use to be a waiter there about a year ago
  • Post #81 - May 5th, 2008, 11:04 pm
    Post #81 - May 5th, 2008, 11:04 pm Post #81 - May 5th, 2008, 11:04 pm
    Hi,

I happen to have seen the entire curry episode on youtube about 6-8 weeks ago.

I remember the owner of the restaurant inflicted on the kitchen this pick one from column a,b,c to assemble a curry to your liking. It created many opportunities for bad execution and kitchen confusion.

I'd have to go back to watch the episode again, but I remember things slightly differently. I thought after the lamb korma success, the owner again reintroduced his pick one from column a,b,c, curry menu. It was like the owner was all in love with an idea that proved not to be working very well. This clueless ownership inflicting havoc on a kitchen and restaurant seems to be a regular theme.

Was the imported chef from London a Ramsay idea? Oy, maybe I wasn't watching the episode as closely as I may have thought.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #82 - July 7th, 2008, 9:05 am
    Post #82 - July 7th, 2008, 9:05 am Post #82 - July 7th, 2008, 9:05 am
    I think I need to remind you folks that cafe 36 wrote out the application and sent it in for "kitchen nightmare" to visit and film.

That the way it works.

I had to pass the shooting area twice a day because that is where my parking is. I talked to the crew and finally met Gordon.

It's just a show....get over it! :roll:
  • Post #83 - July 7th, 2008, 4:43 pm
    Post #83 - July 7th, 2008, 4:43 pm Post #83 - July 7th, 2008, 4:43 pm
    I am very anxious for the new season to start.
  • Post #84 - January 12th, 2009, 2:49 pm
    Post #84 - January 12th, 2009, 2:49 pm Post #84 - January 12th, 2009, 2:49 pm
    Gordon Ramsay's TV show, "Kitchen Nightmares", will be airing the Cafe 36 episode this Thursday(1-15-2009) at 8:00 pm. Central Time.
  • Post #85 - January 12th, 2009, 2:56 pm
    Post #85 - January 12th, 2009, 2:56 pm Post #85 - January 12th, 2009, 2:56 pm
    cool..was wondering why it hadnt aired..thought the show was over for the season
    First Place BBQ Sauce - 2010 NBBQA ( Natl BBQ Assoc) Awards of Excellence
  • Post #86 - January 13th, 2009, 12:49 pm
    Post #86 - January 13th, 2009, 12:49 pm Post #86 - January 13th, 2009, 12:49 pm
    Fox Chicago's Program Guide wrote:Chef Ramsay visits Cafe 36, a French-American eatery in La Grange, Ill. The couple who own the place have little restaurant experience, so they need help with their shortage of customers and their head chef, who doesn't practice quality control.
    Cathy2

• Post #87 - January 13th, 2009, 2:18 pm
    Post #87 - January 13th, 2009, 2:18 pm Post #87 - January 13th, 2009, 2:18 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Fox Chicago's Program Guide wrote:Chef Ramsay visits Cafe 36, a French-American eatery in La Grange, Ill. The couple who own the place have little restaurant experience, so they need help with their shortage of customers and their head chef, who doesn't practice quality control.

LOL! Doesn't that pretty much describe every episode of Kitchen Nightmares? :D

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #88 - January 13th, 2009, 4:50 pm
    Post #88 - January 13th, 2009, 4:50 pm Post #88 - January 13th, 2009, 4:50 pm
    Hi,

Actually my favorite is when the kitchen is filthy, while inspecting he recognizes an element from his meal screaming, "You could have killed me!"

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #89 - January 13th, 2009, 5:41 pm
    Post #89 - January 13th, 2009, 5:41 pm Post #89 - January 13th, 2009, 5:41 pm
    TheDuke wrote:Gordon Ramsay's TV show, "Kitchen Nightmares", will be airing the Cafe 36 episode this Thursday(1-15-2009) at 8:00 pm. Central Time.

Thanks! I have a reminder set.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #90 - January 15th, 2009, 1:26 pm
    Post #90 - January 15th, 2009, 1:26 pm Post #90 - January 15th, 2009, 1:26 pm
    does anyone have any "after" experiences? I had heard that the owners chose not to follow through with the Gordon suggestions - and haven't been brave enough to try it out. I know back in the day, it had a reputation for great food, but the last time I was there, it was very disappointing. Some acquaintances went there about a month ago, but said after 20 minutes of sitting and not being approached, they went across the street to La Pinta.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more