LTH Home

North Pond

North Pond
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - August 6th, 2016, 7:58 pm
    Post #91 - August 6th, 2016, 7:58 pm Post #91 - August 6th, 2016, 7:58 pm
    riddlemay wrote:
    JoelF wrote:We went to North Pond last night for our 33rd anniversary last night...we were on the "porch" open to the lagoon

Joel, how did you swing the porch seating? Pure luck of the draw, or are you regulars at North Pond, or did they honor the special anniversary occasion, or what?

No clue. I did tell them about the event ahead of time (and we got personalized menus, and on the mignardise plate drawn in chocolate). It was a later seating, 8:15, which might have helped open a prime spot.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #92 - August 7th, 2016, 6:55 am
    Post #92 - August 7th, 2016, 6:55 am Post #92 - August 7th, 2016, 6:55 am
    We've found North Pond to be very accommodating with our special requests regarding both menu and seating. As such we've become infrequent regulars. It seems they keep good records.
    There are some secrets which do not permit themselves to be told. (Poe)
  • Post #93 - August 7th, 2016, 7:08 am
    Post #93 - August 7th, 2016, 7:08 am Post #93 - August 7th, 2016, 7:08 am
    Thanks, nsxtasy and Joel, for your suggestions as to day of week and time of evening. That may help.

bean, I wish my experience had been the same as yours. I've found NP not only not accommodating but almost passive-aggressively not accommodating. (But this is an impression created in part by the guaranteed fifteen-minute wait despite the reservation, and other factors, like a general coldness of personality on the part of the FOH staff. I could attribute this coldness to this or that individual who is likely not to be the same on the next visit, but the consistency suggests that it filters from the top down--or perhaps that NP is not a fun place to work, engendering employee-disaffection that gets passed on to the customer. If it weren't for the fabulous location we probably wouldn't bother with NP at all, but that location brings us back, especially when entertaining visitors.)
    Last edited by riddlemay on August 7th, 2016, 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #94 - August 7th, 2016, 7:34 am
    Post #94 - August 7th, 2016, 7:34 am Post #94 - August 7th, 2016, 7:34 am
    riddlemay wrote:Thanks, nsxtasy and Joel, for your suggestions as to day of week and time of evening. That may help.

bean, I wish my experience had been the same as yours. I've found NP not only not accommodating but almost passive-aggressively not accommodating. (But this is an impression created in part by the guaranteed fifteen-minute wait despite the reservation, and other factors, like a general coldness of personality on the part of the FOH staff. I could attribute this coldness to this or that individual who is likely not to be the same on the next visit, but the consistency suggests that it filters from the top down--or perhaps that NP is not a fun place to work, engendering employee-disaffection that gets passed on to the customer. If it weren't for the fabulous location we probably wouldn't bother with NP at all, but that location brings us back, especially when entertaining visitors.)

Maybe they are trying to send you a message.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #95 - August 7th, 2016, 7:45 am
    Post #95 - August 7th, 2016, 7:45 am Post #95 - August 7th, 2016, 7:45 am
    riddlemay wrote:Thanks, nsxtasy and Joel, for your suggestions as to day of week and time of evening. That may help.

I had very similar experiences on my two most recent meals at North Pond (after a very nice first experience). The first episode of poor, indifferent, passive-aggressive service a I gave a pass on, but when I brought my father for his birthday and reasonable special requests were ignored, no warmth at all from FOH, no acknowledgement of the special occasion, late being seated despite having a reso, arriving early and informing the hostess that my parents had a flight and would appreciate it if we could be sat as soon as feasible (they said they would see what they could do and proceeded to accommodate walk-ins while leaving us to stand in the lobby for nearly half and hour and were not sat until well after our reservation time) - needless to say I have not returned since. Sure the location is stunning and the food has been consistently excellent, but too many great venues in town to risk such abominable service.
    Twitter: @Goof_2
  • Post #96 - August 7th, 2016, 9:41 am
    Post #96 - August 7th, 2016, 9:41 am Post #96 - August 7th, 2016, 9:41 am
    stevez wrote:Maybe they are trying to send you a message.

Perhaps, but why?
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #97 - February 15th, 2017, 1:41 pm
    Post #97 - February 15th, 2017, 1:41 pm Post #97 - February 15th, 2017, 1:41 pm
    James Beard Semi-finalists announced......

Outstanding service
    Boka, Chicago
    North Pond

Really? Now I know you're not supposed to judge a place on nights like NYE or VD but last night went like this.
    Sit down. Look at menu. Order cocktail and dinner and I don't know how they did it so fast but we had our first course within five minutes. Cocktails and the first wine pairing were nowhere in sight.
    While waiting for our third course, our server brought out the wine pairings for the fourth course.
    Maybe it's just me but these seem like some big missteps for a restaurant of this quality.
  • Post #98 - February 15th, 2017, 3:15 pm
    Post #98 - February 15th, 2017, 3:15 pm Post #98 - February 15th, 2017, 3:15 pm
    I'm with you; been to North Pond on a few occasions and only received what I would consider to be good service once. Last visit service was so poor I haven't been back (and am unlikely to return). I think the people choosing the nominations for Beards are often people who restaurants of this caliber know to be involved in the process (and therefore receive VIP treatment). Very difficult to objectively judge service when receiving VIP treatment.
    Twitter: @Goof_2
  • Post #99 - February 15th, 2017, 4:48 pm
    Post #99 - February 15th, 2017, 4:48 pm Post #99 - February 15th, 2017, 4:48 pm
    I've experienced consistently good service at North Pond in my visits there. Not necessarily award-worthy (as I've had at such places as Everest, Alinea, and Oriole) but helpful, friendly, and efficient. I'm headed back again this weekend, and I'll be happy to report on the service then as well.

FWIW, I am not a VIP or FOTH there or anywhere else.
  • Post #100 - February 15th, 2017, 6:08 pm
    Post #100 - February 15th, 2017, 6:08 pm Post #100 - February 15th, 2017, 6:08 pm
    We regularly go to North Pond for our wedding anniversary brunch. Service can be relied upon to be spotty.
  • Post #101 - February 19th, 2017, 7:11 pm
    Post #101 - February 19th, 2017, 7:11 pm Post #101 - February 19th, 2017, 7:11 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:I'm headed back again this weekend, and I'll be happy to report on the service then as well.

Three of us went to Sunday brunch at North Pond today, and it was absolutely wonderful. Of course, warm weather and sunshine in February didn't hurt!

The items on the three-course prix fixe brunch menu were much more like a dinner than a brunch (no eggs, pancakes, etc.). I loved everything we had!

Cherry Scone (amuse bouche)

Wild Pheasant, Sunchoke: Braised Pheasant Pastilla Strudel, Sunchoke Hummus, Preserved Lemons, Olives, Marcona Almonds

Pear, Leek: Warm Pear-Leek Velouté Soup, Cassis Pear, Bartlett, Spiced Yogurt, Pumpkin Seed Brittle, Sage (photos before and after pouring)

Bass, Cauliflower: Yogurt-Crusted Meagre Bass Filet; Purple, Gold and White Cauliflower; Spiced Spinach Coulis, Gold Raisin (The thin crispy charred skin looks odd but it was absolutely terrific.)

Pork, Cabbage: Caraway-Raisin Sausage; Spaetzle, Apple Cider Red Cabbage, Celeriac, Beer Syrup, Pretzels, Nuts

Chocolate, Pumpkin: Roasted Pie Pumpkin-Almond Cream Tart, Milk Chocolate Mousse, Rosemary Ice Cream, Cranberries, Nuts

Apple, Walnut: Brioche French Toast Batôn, Apple “Pudding”, Cider Sorbet, Candied Walnuts, Sage, Cinnamon Cream

Pear, Caramel: Cardamom Crème Brulée, Poached Pears, Caramel Sauce, Spice Cake, Pear Sorbet, Cider Foam

As it turns out, today was not a representative test of the service. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. But midway through the meal, everything slowed down and he was not as responsive. He apologized and explained that their computers went out, so they had to do everything manually - preparing checks, etc. But it was still a very positive experience, and that did not really hamper our enjoyment at all.

This was a wonderful meal with amazing food at a bargain price. This will almost certainly end up among my favorite meals of the year. I love this restaurant!
    Last edited by nsxtasy on August 18th, 2017, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #102 - February 19th, 2017, 10:00 pm
    Post #102 - February 19th, 2017, 10:00 pm Post #102 - February 19th, 2017, 10:00 pm
    I agree Sunday brunch is a bargain. I've also noticed that service tends to slow down, get cranky and seemingly lazy when they get busy. Especially if there are screaming kids in the room. Nonetheless spring would be a wonderful time to visit this restaurant.

Enjoy.
  • Post #103 - February 20th, 2017, 3:46 pm
    Post #103 - February 20th, 2017, 3:46 pm Post #103 - February 20th, 2017, 3:46 pm
    I'm another example of someone who likes but doesn't love North Pond. I'm perfectly happy to go there when someone else has made the plans, and have a perfectly OK time, but nothing calls me back on my own. I've never looked at Mrs. JimChicago and said "you know, I'm really, really hungry for North Pond." The comments about service and just not having the best vibe ring true with me.
  • Post #104 - February 20th, 2017, 9:36 pm
    Post #104 - February 20th, 2017, 9:36 pm Post #104 - February 20th, 2017, 9:36 pm
    chicagojim wrote:The comments about service and just not having the best vibe ring true with me.

I'm always jealous of the people who write about receiving excellent service there, because I think those people must emit some sort of aura that makes North Pond staff different toward them than they are toward me. (I do fine everywhere else, though.)
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #105 - February 20th, 2017, 9:46 pm
    Post #105 - February 20th, 2017, 9:46 pm Post #105 - February 20th, 2017, 9:46 pm
    riddlemay wrote:
    chicagojim wrote:The comments about service and just not having the best vibe ring true with me.

I'm always jealous of the people who write about receiving excellent service there, because I think those people must emit some sort of aura that makes North Pond staff different toward them than they are toward me. (I do fine everywhere else, though.)

I think those folks must be more regular or tip especially well. We call it a target audience.
  • Post #106 - March 6th, 2017, 7:45 am
    Post #106 - March 6th, 2017, 7:45 am Post #106 - March 6th, 2017, 7:45 am
    Ate at North Pond with my parents.

Seeing as there are many comments about service, our table's service was fine, a little cold to start but then again my Pop has lost some "filters" as he gets older so I can imagine the wait staff might be taken aback by his brusque nature. I would say that service became inattentive (a bit) towards the very end of the meal when the restaurant was busy. On a side note, the waiter was removing wine glasses while the sommelier would put them back, a little funny the back/forth.

Amuse bouche: foie gras mousse, with parmesan cracker, pickled ramp, cranberry reduction. Enjoyable

Starters:
    Egg, Spinach - Soft-Boiled Hen Egg, “Tandoori” Chicken, Ricotta, Spiced Spinach Coulis, Bosc Pear, Seeds, Naan Cracker

Foie Gras, Sprouts - Seared Duck Foie Gras, Brussels Sprouts Butter, Calvados Apple Boules, Fried Shallots, Cider Syrup, Almonds, Brioche

Endive, Sardine -Red, Green Belgian Endives; Citrus-Endive Marmalade, Sardines a la Plancha, Dill-Caper Cream, Blood Orange, Caraway Straw

Carrot, Shrimp Bisque - Carrot Bisque, Crab Croquette, Oregon Pink Shrimp, Celery, Pumpernickel Crumpet, Earl Grey Espuma

The egg/spinach starter was sublime. Foie gras seared perfectly. Really enjoyed the Sardine/Endive salad, VERY powerful flavors. Our table didn't appreciate the bisque, the croquette's fried exterior taste overpowered a nice bisque.

Mains:
    Tilefish, Lemon - Grilled Golden Tilefish, Purple & Dauphine Potatoes, Smoked Meyer Lemon Curd, Leeks, Capers,Chips, Parsley jus

Venison, Root Vegetable - Charred Venison Loin, Purple-Top Turnip Brulée, Red Cabbage, Apples Celeri Rave, Baby Carrots, Red Wine Syrup

Tilefish dish was unremarkable.

Venison dish was terrific, each ingredient popped.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #107 - August 18th, 2017, 7:53 am
    Post #107 - August 18th, 2017, 7:53 am Post #107 - August 18th, 2017, 7:53 am
    Ate here last night, and while the service was impeccable, the food actually left a lot to be desired. The hamachi crudo with red cabbage jus and pumpernickel among the low-lights of food I've had at a restaurant this year.
  • Post #108 - November 22nd, 2019, 2:08 pm
    Post #108 - November 22nd, 2019, 2:08 pm Post #108 - November 22nd, 2019, 2:08 pm
    Chef Bruce Sherman stepping down from North Pond restaurant after 20 years

One of Chicago’s most acclaimed chefs is stepping down. Bruce Sherman, the chef at North Pond (2610 N. Cannon Drive) in Lincoln Park, plans to leave the award-winning restaurant after 20 years. His last day will be New Year’s Eve.
    Fortunately, North Pond will remain open. Sherman is passing the job to Tim Vidrio, his longtime chef de cuisine. “Tim has been with me almost nine years,” says Sherman. “He came up through the ranks and understands the place like no one else.” While he won’t be a physical presence at the restaurant, Sherman will remain a partner in the restaurant with his longtime business partner Richard Mott.
  • Post #109 - November 19th, 2023, 5:43 pm
    Post #109 - November 19th, 2023, 5:43 pm Post #109 - November 19th, 2023, 5:43 pm
    Today we had brunch at North Pond, and it was FANTASTIC! I had been there several times when it was managed by Chef Bruce Sherman, and it was always excellent. Now under Chef Cesar Murillo, it's better than ever. We were served nine different food dishes, and every one of them was amazingly delicious! The service was excellent too. And of course it still has the exquisite setting in the middle of the park, facing its namesake pond with the city skyline looming over the opposite shore.

They still have a bargain-priced Sunday brunch, currently $59 prix fixe for three courses, whose dishes were more dinner-like than breakfast/brunch oriented:
    What did we have?

When we were seated, we were told they have hot apple-pear cider with optional alcoholic options that can be added:
    Pecan Bun (amuse bouche)
    Cornbread with Crab Dip (optional additional sharable dish, off-menu special)
    Foie Gras, Crème Brulee - Plum-Berry Jam, Pickled Bluerries, Fried Brioche, Serrano Ham
    Smoked Salmon Croquette - Coconut-Buttermilk Sauce, Bok Choy Salad, White Sweet Potato Purée, Fish Sauce Vinaigrette
    Steak, Date - Moroccan Spiced Prime Striploin*, Date Purée, Crispy Brussels Sprouts, Orange Blossom Gel, Pistachio
    Kielbasa, Butternut Squash - Duke’s Beef & Pork Kielbasa*, Boursin Cheese, Butternut Squash Marmalade, Apple Fritter Monkey Bread
    Scallop, Cranberry - Pan Seared Hokkaido Scallop*, Charred Romaine, Sunchoke Cream, Cranberry Cheong
    Baba au Rhum - House Made Brioche, Vanilla-Rhum Syrup, Autumn Fruit Chutney, Miso Caramel, Pawpaw Gelato
    Chocolate, Chocolate - Black Cocoa Cake, Milk Chocolate Frosting, Pickled Blueberries, Caramel Ganache, Concord Grape Sorbet
    This was such a wonderful meal, it made us want to return WAY more often in the near future!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more