LTH Home

Joong Boo Cafe [Chicago Food Corp] Hot²

Joong Boo Cafe [Chicago Food Corp] Hot²
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - August 31st, 2018, 7:33 pm
    Post #61 - August 31st, 2018, 7:33 pm Post #61 - August 31st, 2018, 7:33 pm
    Sorry, Glenview.

My last visit was in May, too, with the panchan bar.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #62 - September 1st, 2018, 12:46 pm
    Post #62 - September 1st, 2018, 12:46 pm Post #62 - September 1st, 2018, 12:46 pm
    I was at the Glenview cafe a few weeks ago and they said "no more banchan"
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #63 - December 10th, 2018, 6:00 pm
    Post #63 - December 10th, 2018, 6:00 pm Post #63 - December 10th, 2018, 6:00 pm
    In case anyone missed it, Joong Boo on Kimball was closed briefly by the City last week. Per blockclubchicago.org:

at blockclubchicago.org, Mina Bloom wrote:Fans of Joong Boo were startled to find a big green “License Suspended” sign affixed to the beloved Asian market’s window Thursday.

But it was only up for a little more than a day.

The market at 3333 N. Kimball Ave. reopened at about noon Friday. A manager there, who declined to be named, said plumbing issues forced the closure.

“Our water tank was giving us problems — it was nothing to do with food,” the manager told Block Club.

But an inspection report provided by the city’s Department of Public Health shows that some packaged squid sold at Joong Boo was contaminated with salmonella.

The market was inspected following a complaint from the public, according to the report. “Managers [sic] was not aware of the complaint. Establishment buys the frozen squid from reputable company. Panama squid from Quirch Foods… Squid are frozen and packaged for sale.”

Joong Boo was also cited for a lack of hot water throughout the store, the report said.

Don’t Freak Out: Joong Boo Market Is Open Again After Brief Shutdown

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #64 - January 14th, 2019, 12:17 pm
    Post #64 - January 14th, 2019, 12:17 pm Post #64 - January 14th, 2019, 12:17 pm
    Joong Boo Glenview:

Last Friday, had an opportunity to check this place out again. WOW. WOW.
    The banchan set ups are indeed, gone. Counterlady confirmed, gone, not coming back. They've been replaced with other condiments, two hot sauces, something that looked like a relish of sorts (no idea, sorry.) BUT....

From my last visit, which I thoroughly enjoyed, it felt they've upped their game.
    Our Trial:
    On sale so we had to try: Spicy Tofu Soup. $6.50. Absolute bargain! There was shrimp and mussels or oysters in it too! It was fantastic. Not very "spicy" just kinda "warm with pepper heat." It came with pickles, kimchi, crumbled seaweed, steamed rice, and a whole small fried fish (think medium sardine sized - maybe 6 decent bites to it.) BARGAIN ALERT!!!!

Chicken wings were a touch sweeter than I remembered, but still fantastic.

From the dumpling counter, we got an order of the pork dumplings which were big and round. I remember them being standard gyoza shaped crescents before, and much smaller (?) I also remember them not having much flavor - not BAD, but just kinda ho-hum. These were big, juicy, porky and garlicky. I loved these things. We also got an order of the fish cake and rice noodle in the spicy red pasty sauce. At 3.99, the portion could feed two people, easily, but the flavor was kinda one-note. It was a great addition to a meal though, imo.

Only two of us, so we were already at overkill - only made it through half of everything (except we demolished those dumplings, and I ordered more to take home for the fam...They were damn good.)
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more