Home Cookin'
    
Avatar
#121
Posted March 20th 2011, 7:38am
Nice Saturday:

stop # 1: Tank Noodle - lunch
stop # 2: chiu quon - snack/dessert
stop #3: Toon's - boilermakers
stop #4: Girl & Goat - snack
_______________________________________

a bowl for the cat, a bowl for the dog, a bowl for me.

@GrubSeeker
Avatar
#122
Posted April 18th 2011, 10:33am
Back to back days in Chicago this weekend, Sundays stops:

1) Tierra Caliente - Al Pastor Tacos
2) Red Hot Ranch - hot dogs, fries & fried shrimp
3) Toons - High Lifes, Jim Beam, and Cazadores
4) Longman & Eagle- Slagel Farms meatballs, pretezel and Welsh rarebit, Bone Marrow, Tete de cochon, bourbon, & PBR
_______________________________________

a bowl for the cat, a bowl for the dog, a bowl for me.

@GrubSeeker
Avatar
#123
Posted June 15th 2011, 7:28am
1) The annual Guerrilla Truck Show on Fulton Market
Food has exploded in a big way at this yearly event celebrating high design in Chicago.

Image

I wasn't there for food, but in terms of trucks, I noticed at least Haute Sausage and Fido to Go. While waiting for friends, I wandered through some open doorways and found myself in a courtyard with the folks from The Rice Table.

Image

They were serving sate ayam, bami goreng, gado gado and what I ate, which was a spicy fried rice made with finely ground chicken liver. I didn't catch the Indonesian name of this dish, but I liked the balanced of heat and funk.

Image

The Harrington College of Design had a truck and was giving out miracle berry tablets with lemons, limes and jalapeños (and cupcakes). A fun gimmick.

Image

We also bought pecan and maple-ginger pie pops from Cheap Tart, which we saved for later in our one-two-three punch.

Image

Image

The Guerrilla Truck Show is becoming a food event. I highly recommend it. Oh, and there's lots of free booze to be had. Last night, I confirmed that I still cannot drink Miller High Life.

2) Happy Hour/Dinner at Frontier (optional)
After our visit yesterday, I personally don't think Frontier makes for a great one-two anything, but this technically was our next stop. The Basil Gimlet and Plymouth Martini I had were complete duds, totally of whack. My table partook in $2 chef's choice oysters, goat tacos and deviled eggs, as well as Lollipop Wings and a cheeseburger.

Image

I wasn't hungry, so I'll let my dining companions chime in if there was anything noteworthy.

3) Pappy Van Winkle 15-year and pie pops on the truck of a car
Continuing with the high-style theme of the evening, we left Frontier to do shots of the PVW 15-year I acquired this week (thanks to jsagoff's tip and the LTH fairy who picked it up for me) and eat the pie pops we bought from Cheap Tart on the hood of a car across the street.

Image

This is how all Tuesday nights should end.
Avatar
(Online)
Web
#124
Posted June 15th 2011, 8:52am
happy_stomach wrote: I wasn't hungry, so I'll let my dining companions chime in if there was anything noteworthy.


First the good: If you happen upon the lovely Cheap Tart in your travels, don't pass her by. I was fortunate to run into her at the Whole Foods on Broadway on Saturday as well and had a bite of a brandied cherry tart that changed my day, if not my life! And the pops that we sampled from the Truck Show were wonderful--perfect crust and delicious fillings (the lemon ginger was my favorite). And she delivers!!!

Not likely to make a return trip to Frontier but I thought that both the dill habanero pickles (crisp, nice balance, although no noticeable heat) and the deviled eggs (a nice bite, "devil" was fluffy but substantial, also nicely balanced between sweet and savory) were satisfying. Oysters didn't taste particularly fresh, lollipop wings were over-fried and batter was all crunch, no flavor (good chunky side of whipped blue cheese though) and goat tacos were flavorless and tough [/b]

BUT 15 y/o Pappy curbside was just right!

This is how all Tuesday nights should end.


Definitely!
_______________________________________

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
Avatar
#125
Posted June 15th 2011, 9:24am
boudreaulicious wrote:...If you happen upon the lovely Cheap Tart in your travels, don't pass her by. I was fortunate to run into her at the Whole Foods on Broadway on Saturday as well and had a bite of a brandied cherry tart that changed my day, if not my life! And the pops that we sampled from the Truck Show were wonderful--perfect crust and delicious fillings (the lemon ginger was my favorite).


I had never heard of Cheap Tarts, but my lovely bride must have happened upon them this week, as she brought a supply of the little popsicle pies to a shindig we had on Monday. I had a lemon pie, and I thought the crust was pretty darn good. The filling was tasty, but chunky and dry compared to the creamy custardy filling I association with lemon pie. It tasted good, and I suppose the Cheap Tart method is better for consuming pie on a stick, since is likely to be a less messy affair .
_______________________________________

...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
Avatar
(Online)
Web
#126
Posted June 15th 2011, 9:50am
Kennyz wrote:
boudreaulicious wrote:...If you happen upon the lovely Cheap Tart in your travels, don't pass her by. I was fortunate to run into her at the Whole Foods on Broadway on Saturday as well and had a bite of a brandied cherry tart that changed my day, if not my life! And the pops that we sampled from the Truck Show were wonderful--perfect crust and delicious fillings (the lemon ginger was my favorite).


I had never heard of Cheap Tarts, but my lovely bride must have happened upon them this week, as she brought a supply of the little popsicle pies to a shindig we had on Monday. I had a lemon pie, and I thought the crust was pretty darn good. The filling was tasty, but chunky and dry compared to the creamy custardy filling I association with lemon pie. It tasted good, and I suppose the Cheap Tart method is better for consuming pie on a stick, since is likely to be a less messy affair .


Interesting...the lemon filling in the one I tasted was completely smooth, juicy and typical of a traditional lemon pie--but with the added ginger kick. Trying to recall if there were possibly tiny ginger pieces in it--the equally smooth PVW might have blurred the details a bit :P
_______________________________________

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
Avatar
#127
Posted June 15th 2011, 1:44pm
Last night...

1. Mario's Lemonade for a canteloupe
2. Al's for a combo hot, dipped
3. Marios Lemonade for a tutti fruitti...

:oops: :oops:
Avatar

#128
Posted June 15th 2011, 5:39pm
happy_stomach wrote:
After our visit yesterday, I personally don't think Frontier makes for a great one-two anything, but this technically was our next stop. The Basil Gimlet and Plymouth Martini I had were complete duds, totally of whack. My table partook in $2 chef's choice oysters, goat tacos and deviled eggs, as well as Lollipop Wings and a cheeseburger.



The food was completely unmemorable except for the pickles and the deviled eggs. Oysters tasted old, goat tacos were horrible and made me realize how lucky I am to have Tierra Caliente close and the wings were fried with a breading that was tasteless. As for the cocktails, order beer, they actually have a good list and you don't want them making you a cocktail here.
_______________________________________

For what we choose is what we are. He should not miss this second opportunity to re-create himself with food. Jim Crace "The Devil's Larder"
Avatar
#129
Posted June 15th 2011, 9:21pm
mbh wrote:
happy_stomach wrote:
After our visit yesterday, I personally don't think Frontier makes for a great one-two anything, but this technically was our next stop. The Basil Gimlet and Plymouth Martini I had were complete duds, totally of whack. My table partook in $2 chef's choice oysters, goat tacos and deviled eggs, as well as Lollipop Wings and a cheeseburger.



The food was completely unmemorable except for the pickles and the deviled eggs. Oysters tasted old, goat tacos were horrible and made me realize how lucky I am to have Tierra Caliente close and the wings were fried with a breading that was tasteless. As for the cocktails, order beer, they actually have a good list and you don't want them making you a cocktail here.


I've been twice and I highly recommend the lamb rib(let) appetizer. I only wish that they offered a full rack. The venison chili is also good. However, the last time that we went (last Thursday at 9:00 p.m.) the music was extremely loud. The service is indifferent.
Avatar
#130
Posted July 2nd 2011, 9:24am
Strawberry picking (and eating :oops: at Thompson's Strawberry farm in Bristol, Wi followed by lunch at Captain Porky's (cajun shrimp po' boy and a half pound of jumbo coconut shrimp).

Image


Image


Image
Avatar
#131
Posted July 2nd 2011, 9:58am
Tacos di tripas at La Chaparrita Taqueria followed by first of the season Mario's Italian Ice (watermelon). Mmmm....
_______________________________________

“Is salami and eggs better than sex?" Alan King
Avatar
#132
Posted July 2nd 2011, 12:10pm
Fish fry at Pleasant House Bakery enjoyed with an ice cold Zombie Dust next door at Maria's. This is going to become a habit.
_______________________________________

"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
Avatar

#133
Posted August 6th 2011, 8:12am
whiskeybent wrote:I'll see your Honey One -> Margie's,

and raise you a Glenn's Diner -> Margie's on Montrose.


I'll second this combo, in fact it is the standard special event meal for our oldest son, as a big plate of fish is his favorite dish*
Avatar
(Online)
#134
Posted August 6th 2011, 10:09am
zim wrote:
whiskeybent wrote:I'll see your Honey One -> Margie's,

and raise you a Glenn's Diner -> Margie's on Montrose.


I'll second this combo, in fact it is the standard special event meal for our oldest son, as a big plate of fish is his favorite dish*



Thank goodness it's not still a wish :lol:
Avatar

Charter Member
Web
#135
Posted September 11th 2011, 8:58am
CrazyC wrote:Trying to find a good one-two punch for Korean BBQ tonight... Any thoughts?


We recently had the outstanding one-two punch of a day at the Korean King Spa & Sauna followed by Korean BBQ at Woori not too far away. Woori is a gas cooker, but otherwise very good restaurant. And not just for the BBQ, their quite thick seafood pancake was about the best one I've ever sampled. BTW, it was actually a 1-2-3 of spa, bbq and Village Creamery.

Of course we followed Korean day with a classic one-two-er: Sun Wah & Margies (of course of the two, only one is really holding to memories and that one rhymes with bun-hah).
_______________________________________

Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.

The Local Beet 2014 Guide to Chicagoland Community Supported Agriculture (CSAs)
Avatar
#136
Posted September 12th 2011, 4:41am
Vital Information wrote:Of course we followed Korean day with a classic one-two-er: Sun Wah & Margies (of course of the two, only one is really holding to memories and that one rhymes with bun-hah).


For a more memorable experience try Sun Wah ------> Scooter's. We do it almost every time.
_______________________________________

"We eat slowly and with gusto." - Paul Bäumer in AQOTWF
Avatar
#137
Posted September 12th 2011, 6:10am
1. LTH Picnic
2. John Hiatt at Ravinia
Life is good. :D
_______________________________________

"Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better." -- Robert Redford, actor/director
Avatar
#138
Posted September 14th 2011, 8:38am
Lawrence Avenue offers so many one-two punch opportunities, one could devote a whole thread to the topic.

This past Sunday, as I headed back to Lincoln Square from playing soccer in the suburbs, I wanted nothing more than to grab some carryout treats and hunker down to watch some football.

Decided on a one-two punch plus knockout blow.
1. Pupuseria Restaurant Cuscatleco 3125 W. Lawrence Ave.: 3 Pupusas (loroco con queso, chicharron, mixta)
2. Hellas Pastry Shop 2627 W Lawrence Ave: 2 Spanakopites, 2 Ergolavoi (almond macaroons with apricot marmalade)
3. Nhu Lan Bakery 2612 W Lawrence Ave: Order of 3 Shrimp Rolls

Had some help from Loriaki, but everything was gone by halftime of the Bears game.
Last edited by alessio20 on November 5th 2011, 8:39am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar
#139
Posted September 14th 2011, 2:12pm
New Orleans:

1. Lunch at Tracey's for Po' Boys and gravy cheese fries
2. Happy Hour at Luke for Gulf Oysters
3. Dinner at Cochon, rabbit & Dumplings and about 40 other things.
Avatar
#140
Posted September 20th 2011, 9:25am
Hard to beat Wednesday evenings at Wishbone on Lincoln: order the shrimp and grits or fried chicken accompanied by the sounds of one of Chicago's best jazz trios, Necessary Rough. No cover, either, which is pretty amazing. The music starts at 6:30 and goes until 9 pm.

http://www.wishbonechicago.com/news/news_item.php?nid=36

Wishbone
3300 N. Lincoln Avenue
773.549.2663
Avatar
#141
Posted September 23rd 2011, 12:29am
Pig Face (and some other plates) and beers at Girl and the Goat then Sazeracs and Bone Marrow + frites at Maudes'. Maude's was the star of the show. Can't wait to go back.
Avatar
#142
Posted October 2nd 2011, 7:31am
1) meat shopping & samples @ Inboden's - dekalb, il.

2) dessert @ Lagomarcinos - Moline, il.

3) dinner & drinks @ Frank's - Silvas, il.

Nice drive, fun day.
_______________________________________

a bowl for the cat, a bowl for the dog, a bowl for me.

@GrubSeeker
Avatar
#143
Posted October 2nd 2011, 11:53am
Bridgeport 1-2-3 punch:

1) Han 202
2) Scoops Ice Cream
3) Maria's Packaged Goods

Bridgeport Coffeehouse & the Co-Prosperity sphere (art gallery) within walking range are other nice touches.
Avatar
#144
Posted August 25th 2012, 7:11am
Experienced a near-perfect one-two punch last night in Wicker Park, with the bonus of never having been to either place before.

Began at 6:30 by walking into the speakeasy-like The Violet Hour. We planned it early enough that the two of us could sit at the bar & groove by watching the guys on the stick. As has been mentioned previously, just walking through the big, nondescript wooden door, with no markings whatsoever, one feels transformed in Alice-through-the-looking-glass style, from the teeming masses in the heat on Damen Ave., to the hushed tones, the floor-length heavy curtains, the high-backed cushy chairs, the quietness of it all. VERY cool. The absolute highlight for me was the Summer Negroni, an Italian cocktail I had never experienced, made with Tangueray, Cocchi di Torino, homemade bitters, orange flower water, with a ball of opaque ice in the perfectly-sized Manhattan-style glass. It looked beautiful, and was the perfect complement to the small plates--Publican-procured Mettwurst summer sausage with Bayley Hazan blue cheese, crostini & homemade pickles, and a magnificent herb gnocchi with caramelized onions, parsley & parmigiano. A yin/yang of sensory opposites.

Then we walked through Wicker Park over to Milwaukee Ave, to the month-old The Savoy. I found out later that head chef Brian Greene previously plied his trade at The Purple Pig, and his sensibilities were all over this. In a loud but vibrant room, for apps we enjoyed a sashimi-grade tuna tartare with basil viniagrette & yuzu emulsion, and coconut red curry mussels with lemongrass, ginger and kaffir lime. Both were unqualified successes. Then we split the special of the night--a baked Maine lobster infused with mild vanilla, stuffed with rosemary & slices of orange, lemon & lime, accompanied by wilted kale & arugula, and tiny sweet potato nibs flecked with bacon. Never had I experienced a dish like this, and disparate tastes that worked this well. Out-of-the-park great, and one could tell much thought went into stretching the envelope. Finished with a coffee and a cocoa con leche lava cake thingie with coffee ice cream. Another wow.

I wasn't as enamored with the absinthe-infused vintage cocktails at The Savoy, but after The Violet Hour, frankly the bar had been raised to an unattainable level. Great stuff overall, a little more sophisticated one-two punch than the previously-mentioned Violet Hour-->Big Star pairing, which I'm sure is killer in its own right.


The Violet Hour
1520 N. Damen, Chicago
773-252-1500

http://www.theviolethour.com


The Savoy
1408 N. Milwaukee, Chicago
773-698-6925

http://savoychicago.com
Avatar
#145
Posted August 25th 2012, 10:19am
jnm123, your post makes me want to go replicate your evening ASAP. I haven't been to The Savoy, but it sounds great.

I highly recommend the Big Star/Violet Hour one-two punch. I like starting with the crowds, energy, tacos, cheap beers, etc., and then going across the street to ratchet back the vibe and have a couple excellent cocktails before ending the night on an extremely high note.

Thanks for the great post!
Avatar
#146
Posted August 25th 2012, 7:49pm
Vito and Nicks followed by Rainbow Cones.
_______________________________________

“Is salami and eggs better than sex?" Alan King
Avatar
#147
Posted August 29th 2012, 4:38pm
Come on down to the South side and go to:
Lem's for bbq ribs (not tips) then across the street to Brown Sugar Bakery for a massive slice of The. Best. Caramel. Cake. EVAH!
Avatar
#148
Posted August 30th 2012, 8:13pm
Sweetbread wrote:
Vital Information wrote:Of course we followed Korean day with a classic one-two-er: Sun Wah & Margies (of course of the two, only one is really holding to memories and that one rhymes with bun-hah).


For a more memorable experience try Sun Wah ------> Scooter's. We do it almost every time.


Hell yeah. That's a punch I can get behind.
Avatar
#149
Posted February 24th 2013, 3:41pm
A favorite one for me that hasn't been mentioned is going to the Long Room bar for a few drinks, then going to Diner Grill for food across the street. I more recommend doing this on a weekday and not weekend nights(or often Friday), considering how crowded Diner Grill gets later at night. And though I've never tried this place out, I suppose one could substitute Diner Grill for The Piggery(forget if that restaurant is still open anymore, it looked either closed for good or closed for renovations last time I was by there. and it's in the space Cordis Bros. Supper Club used to be), then go to Long Room or vice versa in order?

Both places(Long Room and Diner Grill, and also The Piggery) are on Irving Park, immediately west of Ashland Ave.(sorry I'm lazy to put the addresses in, all 3 are directly west of that intersection).
Avatar
#150
Posted September 19th 2013, 11:00am
Just came back from my favorite one-two punch.

Surf n' Turf:

Half-pound of shrimp from Redhot Ranch into a large combo from Honey 1.
_______________________________________

"We eat slowly and with gusto." - Paul Bäumer in AQOTWF
Home Cookin'

Online Information

Users browsing this forum: chapulin, chicagostyledog, Google [Bot], marothisu, milz50, mrefjl and 24 guests