LTH Home

Las Asadas - Just Showing Some Overdue Love

Las Asadas - Just Showing Some Overdue Love
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - July 14th, 2009, 5:56 am
    Post #31 - July 14th, 2009, 5:56 am Post #31 - July 14th, 2009, 5:56 am
    I'd be very surprised if they did not get their steak from the same distributor, so the gristle factor would just be luck of the draw unless a La Pas worker steadily did not clean the meat properly if it was not cleaned before it was delivered. As for charring, that might depend on who is manning the fire at the time you go. The Las Asadas owner once told me that they strive to have the same exact product at all locations - he even included La Pas in his locations list when he told me that. Fire and workers differ, these places are not machine controlled like BK or MCD, so at different times, one might be better than the other. I usually find Las Asadas better because they seem to give a rougher chop to their steak, whereas it seems La Pas workers might be required to give a finer chop. Granted, it's been quite some time since I've been to La Pasadita, but I clearly remember this being my reason for always choosing Las Asadas over La Pas.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #32 - July 16th, 2009, 12:00 pm
    Post #32 - July 16th, 2009, 12:00 pm Post #32 - July 16th, 2009, 12:00 pm
    True, the skirt steak at Las Asadas is size wise, chunkier than the tiny, almost uniform cuts of steak at La Pasadita. And as I mentioned before, MUCH less gristle at Las Asadas than La Pas... Does anyone out there know of any places that have better skirt steak tacos than Las Asadas? I'm content with my search, it ends here.
    I'm not picky, I just have more tastebuds than you... ; )
  • Post #33 - July 16th, 2009, 12:28 pm
    Post #33 - July 16th, 2009, 12:28 pm Post #33 - July 16th, 2009, 12:28 pm
    i've always loved the chicken burrito at Las Asadas in des plaines. grilled, moist chicken like you rarely see. not as good at the western ave. location, but no bad either, for non red-meat eaters. justjoan
  • Post #34 - July 16th, 2009, 2:22 pm
    Post #34 - July 16th, 2009, 2:22 pm Post #34 - July 16th, 2009, 2:22 pm
    FoodSnob77 wrote:Does anyone out there know of any places that have better skirt steak tacos than Las Asadas? I'm content with my search, it ends here.

This will depend on your tastes, obviously. While Las Asadas is generally my favorite so far, I can vouch for several places that can compete if you like Las Asadas' char grilled skirt.

Zacatacos. Various locations. I can specifically vouch for Harlem Avenue in Berwyn, Cermak Rd. in Berwyn, and I do believe that the one location in the 40's near south side (ish) is confirmed as char grilled goodness.

Taqueria El Asadero. Lincoln and Montrose. I was just there on Sat. While taking a break from the Folk/Roots Festival. Wife 1.0 wanted fest food, but that was one of the rare times that I put my foot down hard. Out of our group of 9, five (whom I had never met before,) thanked me profusely for leading them there. Two had been before, and had forgotten how good the joint was because they live in Rogers Park, and wife 1.0, who was kinda ticked that I was getting thanked so much, conceded that it was a great idea...afterwards, of course. Asadero can be as good as Las Asadas (IMO) but I gotta tell you, Asadero can do other things VERY well, too. Saturday, the chicken, al pastor, and even the rice was flippin fantastic. The steak was not as good, as a normal Las Asadas, but it was still GOOD, mind you. Everyone commented on the steak - like they ALWAYS do when you take them to a place that serves actual char grilled skirt instead of griddle fried mystery. If I had my cam that day, I would've posted about it being possibly the best taco joint in the city as far as multiple filling options. Rare will you find GREAT steak, GREAT chicken, and GREAT pastor under one roof. While there are other places with usually better steak (imo,) I have not come across a better place that does all of those things so well. Hell, Las Asadas doesn't even offer pastor. Anyway, I could definitely see on a sub par day for Las Asadas and a great day for El Asadero, Asadero could be better for steak. It's not that Asadero steak is BAD at all, it's just that, well, you know - when you get that A+ grade stuff from Las Asadas - you know, the stuff that makes your mouth water THE NEXT DAY when you're thinking about it - it's hard to be beat.

Plenty of love has gone out to Carneceria Guanajuato (California and Belmont?) as well, although, I cant say I've been.

I like you, am content if the search ended here, but I always have hope. Take responses to your query with a grain of salt. Asking for places that serve good steak is simply not enough. I know ppl that prefer El Famous steak to Las Asadas. To quickly weed out the poseurs*, the first information I must know is "char grilled, or griddle sauteed?" Usually, if someone answers that question with "I'm not sure," the place that they've suggested goes on the long list.

*Oh, RELAX, would you? :D
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #35 - July 16th, 2009, 4:18 pm
    Post #35 - July 16th, 2009, 4:18 pm Post #35 - July 16th, 2009, 4:18 pm
    for me, the short list consists of handmade tortillas, off the cone pastor and the ever rare "charcoal" grilled steak. that said, asadas does the job for good "flame" grilled flavor most the time.
  • Post #36 - July 16th, 2009, 5:38 pm
    Post #36 - July 16th, 2009, 5:38 pm Post #36 - July 16th, 2009, 5:38 pm
    MBK wrote:for me, the short list consists of handmade tortillas, off the cone pastor and the ever rare "charcoal" grilled steak. that said, asadas does the job for good "flame" grilled flavor most the time.

I'm not sure anyone's mentioned a CHAR cooked taco joint on here, have they? WHERE?! Do tell!
  • Post #37 - July 16th, 2009, 8:45 pm
    Post #37 - July 16th, 2009, 8:45 pm Post #37 - July 16th, 2009, 8:45 pm
    not sure, i think mike g or someone wrote about one, could be wrong though. that would be the ultimate, charcoal grilled 8) that is true carne al carbon.
  • Post #38 - July 23rd, 2009, 5:45 pm
    Post #38 - July 23rd, 2009, 5:45 pm Post #38 - July 23rd, 2009, 5:45 pm
    Stopped in at the Brookfield Las Asadas around 6:30 last evening. There was a table of 6-7 guys who were in a serious eating mode - all going for the steak burritos or tacos. One of the dudes behind the counter was busy hacking up several big slabs of steak so I took that as a good sign. I ordered the steak burrito, flour tortilla, w/ avocado, onion and cilantro, no sour cream. The salsa verde had quite a bit of kick to it. Overall I thought it was really tasty - a little chewy, but no problem. Thanks for the suggestion about keeping it simple!
  • Post #39 - July 29th, 2009, 9:16 am
    Post #39 - July 29th, 2009, 9:16 am Post #39 - July 29th, 2009, 9:16 am
    My twin bro was in town for 48 hours with a list of foodie joints to hit. We made the requisite runs for Paradise Pup, Khan BBQ (twice!), and snackings of gyros and polish sausages. . . but his favorite foodie moment was the first place we stopped at - Las Asadas in Des Plaines.

He ordered 3 tacos and then went back for 3 more. It was the most silent I'd seen him in 36 years. It was an intimate moment. . he and those juicy beefy tacos. He almost hugged the grill-man when he came around to ask how everything was! lol.

Having lived in Arizona and California, he knows a good carne asada taco. . .but declared these to be his all-time favorites.

As i ordered 3 more to throw into the fridge for late-nite snacking, I could hardly disagree.
  • Post #40 - January 7th, 2010, 12:48 pm
    Post #40 - January 7th, 2010, 12:48 pm Post #40 - January 7th, 2010, 12:48 pm
    Got over to the Brookfield location for lunch today. Had a craving for some chargrilled steak tacos, and these did not dissapoint. (2) carne asada tacos, Tender, lean, charred steak topped with onion and cilantro on a corn tortilla. Simple but really darn good, and the price $1.60 each I think cant be beat. As good as La Pasadita's east side location, no, but still really good. The green salsa or sauce is pretty darn mild, they need to kick the heat level up imho.. I also had a chili relleno taco that was pretty good, chili relleno deep fried to order. approx. $2.25.

I didnt even think of ordering a burrito, as I typically have no interest in them.
  • Post #41 - January 7th, 2010, 2:19 pm
    Post #41 - January 7th, 2010, 2:19 pm Post #41 - January 7th, 2010, 2:19 pm
    The heat level on their salsa irks me when it's off. Soemtimes it will fry you, other times it is little more than limey tangy green stuff. Most of the time, tho, it packs at least some kind of heat. It really ticks me off when it's weak tho. If you're ever up that way again looking for char grilled steak tacos, check into Zacatacos on Harlem just north of Pershing rd. If you are in the mood for company, let me know. If I'm around, I'm always down for some steak tacos at either joint. Today would have been prime taco lunch day. Heading to the dentist in a little while...Gonna get some work done :(
  • Post #42 - January 7th, 2010, 2:23 pm
    Post #42 - January 7th, 2010, 2:23 pm Post #42 - January 7th, 2010, 2:23 pm
    seebee wrote:The heat level on their salsa irks me when it's off. Soemtimes it will fry you, other times it is little more than limey tangy green stuff. Most of the time, tho, it packs at least some kind of heat. It really ticks me off when it's weak tho. If you're ever up that way again looking for char grilled steak tacos, check into Zacatacos on Harlem just north of Pershing rd. If you are in the mood for company, let me know. If I'm around, I'm always down for some steak tacos at either joint. Today would have been prime taco lunch day. Heading to the dentist in a little while...Gonna get some work done :(

thanks for the tip on the salsa, the carne asada was really good, I didnt mind loading up each bite with a bunch, its good to hear it can be hotter on some days.

zacatacos is on my list, but too far away for me to hit from work, Brookfield was pushing the boundry from Burr Ridge.
  • Post #43 - January 7th, 2010, 2:25 pm
    Post #43 - January 7th, 2010, 2:25 pm Post #43 - January 7th, 2010, 2:25 pm
    not sure, i think mike g or someone wrote about one

Arturo's on 79th claims real charcoal on their sign, but nothing about the meat or a surreptitious examination of their cooking facilities supported the claim.

Still looking...
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #44 - January 31st, 2010, 6:38 pm
    Post #44 - January 31st, 2010, 6:38 pm Post #44 - January 31st, 2010, 6:38 pm
    I had a craving for some Las Asadas yesterday. Knowing my wife was going to be babysitting all night long for another family, I loaded up for me and my two sons - 6 carne asada tacos, 2 chile rellenos tacos, and 2 orders of Spanish rice. As always, Las Asadas delivered in a big way. Such a simple meal but oh so delicious. Corn tortillas loaded with juicy, marinated chunks of beef topped with onions, cilantro, and verde sauce. For $2.50, the chile relleno tacos are a steal. You get one huge poblano pepper stuffed with ooey, gooey queso deep fried in a puffy batter. I fed the whole family and had a few tacos leftover for lunch today for only $20.10. Makes me wonder why I don't trek over to Las Asadas more often. That's something I'm going to have to correct.
  • Post #45 - January 31st, 2010, 9:23 pm
    Post #45 - January 31st, 2010, 9:23 pm Post #45 - January 31st, 2010, 9:23 pm
    I actually hit the one in Des Plaines on Lee St. Saturday around 2pm. Kind of alarming. The joint was packed (yeah it's tiny,) but half the tables in there were gringo families with little kids.

Great example of the KISS method of doing it. I'd love for them to be more consistent in a few ways, but they run at a decent enough clip for me to recommend them to anyone who will listen.
  • Post #46 - February 17th, 2010, 8:18 am
    Post #46 - February 17th, 2010, 8:18 am Post #46 - February 17th, 2010, 8:18 am
    As I live within 5 minutes of either store in Des Plaines I do occasionally visit both there. Yesterday I was on 47th street and stopped in at this location. It was around 1.30 and past their peak but the steak was fresh, perfectly charred, nice sized chunks, slight chew with no gristle. The corn tortillas actually had a slight turn on the griddle, without requesting. Good heat level on the salsa plus I was handed another bottle of a thin seasoning sauce, with no heat, that was a combination of oil, a few spices and Maggi type liquid, which was a nice addition. These tacos were at the best level Las Asadas can deliver and were outstanding.

Las Asadas
    3834 W. 47th Street
    Chicago, Illinois.
  • Post #47 - February 17th, 2010, 11:49 am
    Post #47 - February 17th, 2010, 11:49 am Post #47 - February 17th, 2010, 11:49 am
    I usually order a couple for the road and nuke them in the microwave as a latenight snack. they come out of the microwave juicy and flavorful every time.

My friends who i've made loyal customers of this spot also swear that the experience is enhanced by switching to flour tortillas as the cleaner taste and subltelty really lets the steak own take the spotlight.

On my last visit I ordered a super burrito to go. $7 and i ate it over the course of 3 days. What a steal.
  • Post #48 - February 17th, 2010, 1:35 pm
    Post #48 - February 17th, 2010, 1:35 pm Post #48 - February 17th, 2010, 1:35 pm
    On my last visit I ordered a super burrito to go. $7 and i ate it over the course of 3 days. What a steal.

Hah. I've considered ordering the super burrito, then I think "What could I possibly do with all that food?"

Two asada tacos usually fills me up fine ...
  • Post #49 - February 18th, 2010, 12:09 pm
    Post #49 - February 18th, 2010, 12:09 pm Post #49 - February 18th, 2010, 12:09 pm
    getting to become a big fan of the Brookfield location. Timed my lunch visit perfect today as the steak was coming off the grill in freshly cooked batches. Great char taste, lean, etc. really good.

knocked out a carne asada taco with cilantro and onion on a corn tortilla, really good.

also wanted to try a burrito, liked how the flour tortilla didnt overshadow the steak, stuffed with a tone of that freshly grilled steak, cilantor, and onion. I really enjoyed this burrito, and I am not typically a burrito guy.

The "hot" sauce was again pretty weak heat wise. Nice flavor, and if you used about half a bottle it worked, it should just be hotter.

Overall another really good visit.
  • Post #50 - February 18th, 2010, 12:59 pm
    Post #50 - February 18th, 2010, 12:59 pm Post #50 - February 18th, 2010, 12:59 pm
    Uh-Oh!
    Sounds like another budding addict. Just kidding. Although, if you get a batch of good (sizzlin hot) salsa on the same day you get their A grade steak, it's hard not to develop the habit.
  • Post #51 - February 18th, 2010, 1:05 pm
    Post #51 - February 18th, 2010, 1:05 pm Post #51 - February 18th, 2010, 1:05 pm
    seebee wrote:Uh-Oh!
    Sounds like another budding addict. Just kidding. Although, if you get a batch of good (sizzlin hot) salsa on the same day you get their A grade steak, it's hard not to develop the habit.

lol,

maybe my taste buds are just warped by all the habaneros I eat.

The smell of grilling steak almost had me turning back around to head back in after I had already eaten. THe place was surprisngly empty for 11:45 when I left.
  • Post #52 - August 17th, 2010, 8:16 pm
    Post #52 - August 17th, 2010, 8:16 pm Post #52 - August 17th, 2010, 8:16 pm
    jimswside wrote:
    seebee wrote:Uh-Oh!

lol,

maybe my taste buds are just warped by all the habaneros I eat.

The smell of grilling steak almost had me turning back around to head back in after I had already eaten. THe place was surprisngly empty for 11:45 when I left.

geez now i'm FREEKIN HUNGRY!
  • Post #53 - August 18th, 2010, 10:55 am
    Post #53 - August 18th, 2010, 10:55 am Post #53 - August 18th, 2010, 10:55 am
    As others have stated already, Las Asadas to me is the best fast food mexican in the city/suburbs. The steak cannot be reproduced anywhere else. I have been going to Las Asadas for years now and i am almost never disappointed. I have had some bad times at the elk Grove village location as they seem to make a LOT of meet at once and put in the metal tin till ordered, the steak then soaks up all the grease and makes a burrito mess. Des Plaines, Brookfield, and Western Ave have all be perfect.

Damn im so hungry now and the closest las asadas is 20+ miles from me. Damn you people, DAMN YOU.
  • Post #54 - December 11th, 2010, 9:48 am
    Post #54 - December 11th, 2010, 9:48 am Post #54 - December 11th, 2010, 9:48 am
    OK, here's an emergency question for LTH'ers. Reading about the steak tacos and burritos has me crazy to try them.

My question: Is there a reason for me to drive the distance to Des Plaines, or is the one on Western (far closer to me) equal?

Help; I'm going for lunch today!

Thanks.
  • Post #55 - December 11th, 2010, 11:15 am
    Post #55 - December 11th, 2010, 11:15 am Post #55 - December 11th, 2010, 11:15 am
    I haven't been to the one in Des Plaines but I think the one on Western is excellent.
  • Post #56 - December 11th, 2010, 11:51 am
    Post #56 - December 11th, 2010, 11:51 am Post #56 - December 11th, 2010, 11:51 am
    Amata wrote:I haven't been to the one in Des Plaines but I think the one on Western is excellent.

Agreed. I've only been to the one in Des Plaine once, but it wasn't noticeably different than the one on Western.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #57 - December 11th, 2010, 11:57 am
    Post #57 - December 11th, 2010, 11:57 am Post #57 - December 11th, 2010, 11:57 am
    Great; thanks guys!
  • Post #58 - December 11th, 2010, 1:03 pm
    Post #58 - December 11th, 2010, 1:03 pm Post #58 - December 11th, 2010, 1:03 pm
    DutchMuse wrote:Great; thanks guys!

I'm in the same boat as Amata, except that I'll say that I think the one on Western is better than the one on Pulaski (more turnover).
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #59 - December 11th, 2010, 4:14 pm
    Post #59 - December 11th, 2010, 4:14 pm Post #59 - December 11th, 2010, 4:14 pm
    Mccarlin wrote: I have had some bad times at the elk Grove village location as they seem to make a LOT of meet at once and put in the metal tin till ordered, the steak then soaks up all the grease and makes a burrito mess.

And just so readers know, there is no Elk Grove Village location. There are two in Des Plaines and Mccarlin, I'll presume, is referring to the 782 W. Oakton St. location versus the other at 356 Lee St. The Oakton St. location, I'd agree is probably the weakest of the five locations. Not to beat a dead horse on what was already written up thread but if they at least tossed out the microwaves and griddled all tortillas, I'd be more enthusiastic.
  • Post #60 - December 11th, 2010, 9:31 pm
    Post #60 - December 11th, 2010, 9:31 pm Post #60 - December 11th, 2010, 9:31 pm
    DutchMuse wrote:OK, here's an emergency question for LTH'ers. Reading about the steak tacos and burritos has me crazy to try them.

My question: Is there a reason for me to drive the distance to Des Plaines, or is the one on Western (far closer to me) equal?

Help; I'm going for lunch today!

Thanks.

I'd rate Western Ave and the Des Plaines (the lee st) location pretty equal. The Brookfield location, however, has let me down a LOT. Too much salt, overcooked meat, too little heat in the salsa. I typically avoid the Brookfield location because the letdown is heartbreaking when you compare it to the product they COULD be serving with less work.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more