LTH Home

Buying Crack on Howard St. - Zip'z Chicken Wings

Buying Crack on Howard St. - Zip'z Chicken Wings
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Buying Crack on Howard St. - Zip'z Chicken Wings

Post #1 - June 4th, 2009, 12:15 pm
    Post #1 - June 4th, 2009, 12:15 pm Post #1 - June 4th, 2009, 12:15 pm
    For 3 decades, Zipz Express has served the denizens of Howard Street. This establishment is owned by a very sweet Korean couple, and has managed to survive the Rogers Park crack epidemic of the early 90s, as well as several Howard street "renovations".
    It started as an ice cream store, but over the years the proprietors have added hot dogs and other Vienna Beef products, as well as Gyros, some Ameri-Chinese offerings, noodle soup and Bul Go Ki. Zipz also has a small section of Korean Ginseng products and beverages.
    I have had a few different things from there, which were all serviceable to pretty good, but the tastiest and certainly the most popular items were the chicken wings. The spicy Oriental wings are fried crisp, and come in a delicious sweet orange flavored sauce, spiced up with hot pepper seeds and dried chilis.
    my plate, not their's
    The flavor is reminiscent of Tony's "chicken crack" at LSC, but a little sweeter and more citrusy. They are absolutely delicious, and like crack are relatively inexpensive but totally addictive. The orders also come with lots of rice for soaking up the delicious sauce.

Be forewarned that some of the patrons seemed a little camera shy, and beware of the giant flying Gyros

Zipz Express
    1635 West. Howard St.
    Chicago
    773-465-8868
  • Post #2 - June 4th, 2009, 1:13 pm
    Post #2 - June 4th, 2009, 1:13 pm Post #2 - June 4th, 2009, 1:13 pm
    D, if you're going to be right up the block savoring deliciousness, the least you could do is send me a PM!

Nice find...now I have to do a quick Evanston-to-Chicago address conversion and figure out how close it is to my house...
  • Post #3 - June 4th, 2009, 1:26 pm
    Post #3 - June 4th, 2009, 1:26 pm Post #3 - June 4th, 2009, 1:26 pm
    Mhays wrote:...now I have to do a quick Evanston-to-Chicago address conversion and figure out how close it is to my house...
    I am afraid it is on the far side of Clark St. from you, just east of the CTA station (next to Jamaica Jerk). If you get wingz from Zipz, be sure to specify the "Oriental" wingz, and ask for them spicy.
  • Post #4 - March 10th, 2018, 12:26 am
    Post #4 - March 10th, 2018, 12:26 am Post #4 - March 10th, 2018, 12:26 am
    Like moth to flame I went to Zip'z today after seeing a pic on Nick Kindelsperger (@nkindelsperger) Instagram acting on a tip from Titus Ruscitti (Da Beef / @chibbqking)

Enjoyed the wings, dug the way the white rice soaked up the sauce and the peanut buttery egg roll was old school. Loved the friendly couple running the place, 39-years in business, though Zip'z Express Fast Food clientele have not got the memo that stretch of Howard Street is gentrifying.

IMG_9326.JPG Zip'z Oriental Wings

IMG_9327.JPG Zip'z Egg Roll

IMG_9328.JPG Zip'z 1635 Howard Street

Zip'z, count me a fan!
    Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - May 17th, 2018, 6:00 pm
    Post #5 - May 17th, 2018, 6:00 pm Post #5 - May 17th, 2018, 6:00 pm
    Another tasty inexpensive wing lunch at Zip'z Express. Same as above, love the way Zip's white rice soaks up the Oriental wing sauce.

In my last post I neglected to mention these are small wings, tender, tasty, but on the small side. Once again I noted the block Zip's is on has not got the memo Howard Street is gentrifying.

ZipzExpress14.jpg Zip'z Oriental Wings

Curry chicken pattie from Caribbean American Baking a block east made for a fine dessert.

Caribbean American Baking
    1539 W Howard St
    Chicago, IL 60626
    773-761-0700
    http://www.caribbeanamericanbakery.com
    Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more