LTH Home

Sticky Rice, Sticky Rice - where for art thou??!!

Sticky Rice, Sticky Rice - where for art thou??!!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - April 8th, 2015, 3:43 pm
    Post #91 - April 8th, 2015, 3:43 pm Post #91 - April 8th, 2015, 3:43 pm
    This is just to say, last night Sticky delivered me the finest version of gang hung lay I have ever had, whether from Sticky, Thai Town's best in LA or any other place. More pork, more fat, more ginger, more garlic, more fish sauce, more cooking time, more browning, more balance, more flavor, more color. If I'd been given the same thing at Publican or Avec or Fat Rice (any of which could make sense with this dish) and been charged 4 times as much I would be just as happy, though poorer. It was a nice surprise after a week in the allegedly gourmand Colorado ski town of Telluride (otherwise a splendid place) eating crap (except for the remarkable Detroit-style pizza at Brown Dog which kicks ass by any standard, improbably). I'm not sensing any great change in the kitchen; maybe Sticky is upping their game a little; maybe I hit an "up" at a place that has its ups and downs.
  • Post #92 - April 8th, 2015, 4:22 pm
    Post #92 - April 8th, 2015, 4:22 pm Post #92 - April 8th, 2015, 4:22 pm
    Delighted to hear all the recent great reports. Is anyone aware of a recent change in the kitchen? Perhaps a master hand has once again returned to the kitchen.
  • Post #93 - July 30th, 2015, 10:41 am
    Post #93 - July 30th, 2015, 10:41 am Post #93 - July 30th, 2015, 10:41 am
    I have friends that want to go here rather than other Thai mainstays. I don't see that oxtail stew on the online menu? Are the recommendations in this thread still good despite reports of falling quality at least at one point?
  • Post #94 - July 30th, 2015, 12:23 pm
    Post #94 - July 30th, 2015, 12:23 pm Post #94 - July 30th, 2015, 12:23 pm
    botd wrote:I have friends that want to go here rather than other Thai mainstays. I don't see that oxtail stew on the online menu? Are the recommendations in this thread still good despite reports of falling quality at least at one point?

Sticky Rice can be up or down, but if it's any consolation, I find that it's more often up than down . . . and they offer some dishes not offered at the other Thai spots in town, making it more than worthwhile.
  • Post #95 - August 1st, 2015, 9:56 pm
    Post #95 - August 1st, 2015, 9:56 pm Post #95 - August 1st, 2015, 9:56 pm
    I MUST add to JeffB's comment
    about Sticky's Gang Hung Lay- MAN-
    what a great bowl-of-Yumm"(to borrow a phrase from Chicago Actor/Comedian Jeff Garlin )
    Apologies for the odd color cast?!- My Lumix-DMC-LX5 usually never disappoints??! :x
    ImageGang HUNG Lay + "Thai-spicy" please by R. Kramer, on Flickr

Another "must" on our rotation are the GARLIC SPARE RIBS!
    Oh-so-good!
    ImageGarlic Spare Ribs + "Thai-Spicy, please" by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    and
    another of our go to dishes there is the Nam-Khao-Todd (Crispy Rice Salad)
    ImageCrispy Rice Salad (Nam Khao Tod) "Thai-Spicy"- please by R. Kramer, on Flickr

Always use the phrase-that-pays....Thai-Spicy-please! to get a comforting heat level.
    Sticky-Rice- never disappoints us with their consistency.
  • Post #96 - August 3rd, 2015, 7:05 am
    Post #96 - August 3rd, 2015, 7:05 am Post #96 - August 3rd, 2015, 7:05 am
    I thought I would report in on our meal:

Nam Khao Tod - I found Rainbow's version vastly superior in just about every way, better crispy rice, better sour flavor and so on. In fact the other three people barely touched it.

Garlic Quail - This was fantastic and for my money tastier than any Gai Tod. Crispy quail in a sweet soy marinade with bits of fried garlic strewn about on top hits all my buttons. I have no idea why this has no description on the menu. The only problem here, and this includes pretty much every dish, the portion was very skimpy especially considering how bony quail is.

Gaeng Haeng Lay - This was good, but nothing mind blowing. It had seemingly little in common with the one I made from David Thompson's cookbook which is bursting with obscene amounts of pickled garlic, fresh ginger, turmeric and actual spice.

Yum Eggplant - Fairly disappointing. The dressing had no punch and the portion was tiny.

Shrimp in Pot - Solid, but not spectacular. Again, I made a very similar dish Thompson's Street Food that was clearly superior in just about every way and it couldn't be easier, so Sticky Rice's rather mundane version disappointed at some level.

I don't really see much reason to hit Sticky Rice with great places like Aroy, Rainbow and Andy's around. It's actually a bit inconvenient to get to since unlike the other three it is not immediately off the brown line.
  • Post #97 - August 3rd, 2015, 9:15 am
    Post #97 - August 3rd, 2015, 9:15 am Post #97 - August 3rd, 2015, 9:15 am
    botd wrote:Gaeng Haeng Lay - This was good, but nothing mind blowing. It had seemingly little in common with the one I made from David Thompson's cookbook which is bursting with obscene amounts of pickled garlic, fresh ginger, turmeric and actual spice.

. . . .

I don't really see much reason to hit Sticky Rice with great places like Aroy, Rainbow and Andy's around. It's actually a bit inconvenient to get to since unlike the other three it is not immediately off the brown line.

Sticky Rice is the only Thai restaurant I've been to in Chicago that has made this dish, and though it sometimes varies in quality, I think it's very good . . . at it's best, not so far off versions I tasted in Chiang Mai. And I have had no issues with finding pickled garlic and galangal (not ginger). But Sticky Rice offers a number of other dishes you will not find elsewhere in Chicago.

As far as Thompson's version, I have to admit it's not my favorite . . . a little five-spice heavy for my palate, though of course this can be adjusted.
  • Post #98 - December 19th, 2015, 7:35 pm
    Post #98 - December 19th, 2015, 7:35 pm Post #98 - December 19th, 2015, 7:35 pm
    Two- very good reasons to go to Sticky Rice.........

ImageSticky Rice= THE BEST Chicago Thai restaurant of Chiang Mai region of Thailand by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Garlic Spare Ribs-ordered "Thai Spicy" please...
    &
    ImageSticky Rice= THE BEST Chicago Thai restaurant of Chiang Mai region of Thailand by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Spare Ribs (more like Rib Tips, actually) w/ Garlic Sauce- very very savory.
    &
    Pad Siew-w/Chicken- Noodles Requested Crispy + Thai Spicy, please!

In case you haven't been lately- we think- that Sticky Rice is still at the top of their game!
    And- these are two of their most spectacular dishes - we always enjoy there!
  • Post #99 - November 30th, 2018, 10:11 am
    Post #99 - November 30th, 2018, 10:11 am Post #99 - November 30th, 2018, 10:11 am
    In advent of the Holiday Party at Aroy, I've been visiting other once-and-future board Thai favorites. Sticky Rice has generally always gotten it done for me, and the layers of flavor this week even in a simple meal were right on: deep and not-oversweet Thai iced tea, tom yum with snappy vegetables, lots of sour lime, and a bouquet of fresh cilantro (all much better than ATK's effort with tomato, red pepper flakes, and indifferently cut veg), Crying Tiger intensely colorful and garlicked if dry, though tender*. One of my favorite elements of Thai is the scratch specific dipping sauces for different dishes even when those dishes are sometimes standardized-frozen at some places, and Sticky Rice always seems to go for it, with intense tang or smokiness or herbal redolence. I've had nothing but pleasant, calm service in the "warmer" interior than their original configuration.

*anyone happening to be in MSP for the holidays should try Karta Thai's rendition, one of my favorites, and their som tum is on point, reminiscent of Sala Bua.
  • Post #100 - November 30th, 2018, 2:50 pm
    Post #100 - November 30th, 2018, 2:50 pm Post #100 - November 30th, 2018, 2:50 pm
    Santander wrote:*anyone happening to be in MSP for the holidays should try Karta Thai's rendition, one of my favorites, and their som tum is on point, reminiscent of Sala Bua.

Just returned from St. Paul a very short bit ago . . . I wish you had posted this yesterday! Good thing is (or maybe not so much since it's for work) I'll almost certainly be returning.
  • Post #101 - February 1st, 2019, 8:56 am
    Post #101 - February 1st, 2019, 8:56 am Post #101 - February 1st, 2019, 8:56 am
    Lunch Special's at Sticky Rice offer 5 different combinations for a solid value of $8.99- that include A Choice of Thai Iced Coffee or Thai Iced Tea, White Jasmine Rice, a protein, and an Appetizer.
    Sadly- none of the options are "plant-based"....so I was forced to stray from my preferred method of eating.....
    ImageLunch Special @ Sticky Rice by R. Kramer, on Flickr

Sticky Rice continues to create consistently tasty Northern Thai cooking that's unique and wonderfully flavored- IMHO- unmatched in Chicago.
  • Post #102 - May 25th, 2019, 9:26 am
    Post #102 - May 25th, 2019, 9:26 am Post #102 - May 25th, 2019, 9:26 am
    Excellent meal here last pm. With Aroy and Rainbow my go-to Thai's (w/toth to Tac Quick) this was as good as anything I've had anywhere in Chi. I'd forgotten how good this old stand by is and will correct that moving fwd.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #103 - March 17th, 2020, 6:06 pm
    Post #103 - March 17th, 2020, 6:06 pm Post #103 - March 17th, 2020, 6:06 pm
    When J.B. Pritzker proclaims that you are NOT to eat-in any Restaurant after 9pm on Monday the 16th-
    and the smell of Sticky Rice beckons.......what else can ya do-
    but enjoy a great Lunch Special-
    ImageMonday-was the last day to dine-in, at CHICAGO’s Best-Northern Thai Restaurant-Sticky Rice.... serving a wonderful Pork Curry dish called “Gang Hung Lay” served with Issan Sausage & Jasmine Rice by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Consistently great, as JeffB- states-
    I am a devout Sticky Rice fan that will miss
    being able to grab a great tasing and incredible value during the middle of the day.

ImageMonday-was the last day to dine-in, at CHICAGO’s Best-Northern Thai Restaurant-Sticky Rice.... serving a wonderful Pork Curry dish called “Gang Hung Lay” served with Issan Sausage & Jasmine Rice by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Let's all keep out safe Social Distancing and
    when you can - be sure to tip the serving staff that remains- with "ABODANZA"
  • Post #104 - April 11th, 2020, 8:49 am
    Post #104 - April 11th, 2020, 8:49 am Post #104 - April 11th, 2020, 8:49 am
    Folks- just a quick one- has anyone done takeout from Sticky Rice during these times? Are things still operating kind of as normal with takeout there?
    is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.
  • Post #105 - April 11th, 2020, 9:29 am
    Post #105 - April 11th, 2020, 9:29 am Post #105 - April 11th, 2020, 9:29 am
    jpschust wrote:Folks- just a quick one- has anyone done takeout from Sticky Rice during these times? Are things still operating kind of as normal with takeout there?

I did it a few weeks ago. I'm not sure what you mean by normal, but it seemed a pretty typical takeout experience to me. They had at least 3 delivery drivers come in while I was waiting for my food to be ready. I'd say they are doing a decent carryout business.
  • Post #106 - April 11th, 2020, 9:40 am
    Post #106 - April 11th, 2020, 9:40 am Post #106 - April 11th, 2020, 9:40 am
    .....has anyone done takeout from Sticky Rice during these times? Are things still operating kind of as normal with takeout there?

When I called in my Take-Away-Order last week (& PrePaid-over the phone w/ a Card to further minimize "contact" ) -I walked inside the doors of Sticky Rice- where they had a blockade of tables set-up, with various Delivery Services Logos (Uber-Eats,GrubHub, DoorDash ,etc)- to stage take-away-orders, and gave the one front-of-the-house-staffer my phone number- and he handed me my Order-
    I signed the receipt and left.

Easy-Peasey.
  • Post #107 - April 11th, 2020, 10:23 am
    Post #107 - April 11th, 2020, 10:23 am Post #107 - April 11th, 2020, 10:23 am
    Love it, thank you!
    is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.
  • Post #108 - April 25th, 2020, 10:32 am
    Post #108 - April 25th, 2020, 10:32 am Post #108 - April 25th, 2020, 10:32 am
    Folks- just a quick one- has anyone done takeout from Sticky Rice during these times? Are things still operating kind of as normal with takeout there?

It seems- 8) that I just can't be happy during LOCKDOWN-
    without some of Chicago's VERY BEST Northern THAI food.
    So- after ordering by phone- and paying by C.C. over the phone.....
    you'll observe they've created a "barrier" of sorts for their safety (& yours) ....
    ImageSticky Rice Chicago-we miss you-greatly !!! by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    and
    ImageThai CHIVE DUMPLINGS- Sticky Rice- Chicago by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    The Gui Chai- Fresh Chive Dumplings were as tasty as ever!
    as were the 2- Lunch Specials to Go!
    ImageLunch Special- Garlic Spare Ribs + Dumplings + Jasmine Rice + Thai Iced Coffee (=) $9.99 by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Garlic Spare Ribs- one of my fav's there...
    as well as
    the beautifully presented- and as full of flavor as always-Meaning
    da BOMB!
    ImageSticky Rice Chicago-we miss you-greatly !!! by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    and one more
    great shot of those CHIVE Dumplings...
    ImageTHAI Chive Dumplings "Gui Chai" offered @ STICKY RICE > Chicago by R. Kramer, on Flickr
  • Post #109 - April 25th, 2020, 11:07 am
    Post #109 - April 25th, 2020, 11:07 am Post #109 - April 25th, 2020, 11:07 am
    Great photos!
  • Post #110 - April 25th, 2020, 11:31 am
    Post #110 - April 25th, 2020, 11:31 am Post #110 - April 25th, 2020, 11:31 am
    Post by nsxtasy Great photos!

Thanks!
  • Post #111 - April 30th, 2020, 9:20 pm
    Post #111 - April 30th, 2020, 9:20 pm Post #111 - April 30th, 2020, 9:20 pm
    Unfortunately we are outside their direct delivery area, but Uber Eats brought us delicious Sticky Rice delivery tonight. Fantastic packaging, attention to detail, our whole order was prepared perfectly. The Som Tam salad though is what brought me here to post. This singular item was a huge eye opener to Thai cuisine for me about 25 years ago. Enjoying it tonight, feeling my tongue tingling, gave me a sense of excitement and hope for the future of our small restaurants. Because how could we, collectively, ever be willing to give these experiences up? Wish I could afford to order more meals out, but try to support those I care about most as often as possible.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more