LTH Home

Skokie restaurants circa 1970

Skokie restaurants circa 1970
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 7 
  • Post #181 - October 23rd, 2016, 11:57 pm
    Post #181 - October 23rd, 2016, 11:57 pm Post #181 - October 23rd, 2016, 11:57 pm
    I don't know if this helps, there was a Mr. Ricky's in Skokie, which was owned by Rich Melman's father.
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #182 - March 18th, 2017, 12:18 am
    Post #182 - March 18th, 2017, 12:18 am Post #182 - March 18th, 2017, 12:18 am
    stevez wrote:T.J. Peppercorns served an excellent version of roast duck. At one point, they had a rotating carousel of ducks right upfront when you walked into the restaurant. Peppercorns was a major contributor to my lifelong duck addiction.



    Hey
    I remember the buffet, also there was a hot dog place in Skokie near the mall and the theater . U grew up in wilmette. What about the gyro place next to the theater ? The ground round. When I was diagnosed with terminal c I begin thinking about all those places. What was the name of that hot dog place and the gyro place do u know?
    Thanks
  • Post #183 - May 16th, 2017, 11:58 am
    Post #183 - May 16th, 2017, 11:58 am Post #183 - May 16th, 2017, 11:58 am
    The gyro place next to the Wilmette theater is the Chuck Wagon; still there and still good.
  • Post #184 - May 18th, 2017, 1:28 pm
    Post #184 - May 18th, 2017, 1:28 pm Post #184 - May 18th, 2017, 1:28 pm
    stevez wrote:T.J. Peppercorns served an excellent version of roast duck. At one point, they had a rotating carousel of ducks right upfront when you walked into the restaurant. Peppercorns was a major contributor to my lifelong duck addiction.


    Just saw this thread. Agree, had the duck many times. While it wasn't a cheap restaurant, I felt it provided great value and went many times.
  • Post #185 - August 8th, 2017, 2:29 pm
    Post #185 - August 8th, 2017, 2:29 pm Post #185 - August 8th, 2017, 2:29 pm
    Thank you thank you. I slung dogs at hanks, and I've been racking my brain for the name. For a while there was teen "nightclub" right next door too. My mom cooked most weeknights but Sunday night was take out: wesleys or la rosa on dempster or big herms and there was a Chinese place I think it was on main just west of Crawford. Mid 70's there was a geasy spoon breakfast lunch place on main just west of mcormim on north side of street. 1st place I had a garbage omelet.
  • Post #186 - August 16th, 2017, 2:04 pm
    Post #186 - August 16th, 2017, 2:04 pm Post #186 - August 16th, 2017, 2:04 pm
    Wesley's...Big Herm's...Hershey's...La Rosa... sure but this is the first mention I've seen of the Chinese spot on Main W of Crawford and the greasy spoon breakfast spot on Main W of McCormick. Fine memories on both counts for entirely different reasons of course. (I also am unable to recall either of the names.) Great catch - thanks!
  • Post #187 - August 16th, 2017, 4:02 pm
    Post #187 - August 16th, 2017, 4:02 pm Post #187 - August 16th, 2017, 4:02 pm
    sburton3030 wrote:Wesley's...Big Herm's...Hershey's...La Rosa... sure but this is the first mention I've seen of the Chinese spot on Main W of Crawford and the greasy spoon breakfast spot on Main W of McCormick. Fine memories on both counts for entirely different reasons of course. (I also am unable to recall either of the names.) Great catch - thanks!

    The greasy spoon breakfast spot on Main St was Morry's. Subsequently, it became LTH favorite and GNR Patty's Diner.
    "Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate!"
    Paul Lynde
  • Post #188 - December 8th, 2017, 12:35 am
    Post #188 - December 8th, 2017, 12:35 am Post #188 - December 8th, 2017, 12:35 am
    The Famous Elliott's Pine Log Restaurant and Lounge was nestled in three wooded acres in Skokie, Illinois. Destroyed by a fire in 1955, the Pine Log came back stronger than ever. It was the place to go for special occasions. The menu was fabulous and included their very popular roasted duck. Check out their history with some great images.
    CLICK TO READ ─► https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2017/12/elliotts-pine-log-restaurant-lounge-skokie.html in my Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ - Please use the links at the bottom of the article to share, 'like' and such.
    Neil Gale, PhD
    Historian

    Living History of Illinois and Chicago
    http://LivingHistoryofIllinois.org
    Living History of Illinois and Chicago Digital Library
    http://LivingHistoryofIllinois.com
    Illinois History Store
    http://IllinoisHistoryStore.org
  • Post #189 - December 8th, 2017, 7:12 am
    Post #189 - December 8th, 2017, 7:12 am Post #189 - December 8th, 2017, 7:12 am
    drgale wrote:The Famous Elliott's Pine Log Restaurant and Lounge was nestled in three wooded acres in Skokie, Illinois. Destroyed by a fire in 1955, the Pine Log came back stronger than ever. It was the place to go for special occasions. The menu was fabulous and included their very popular roasted duck. Check out their history with some great images.
    CLICK TO READ ─► https://drloihjournal.blogspot.com/2017/12/elliotts-pine-log-restaurant-lounge-skokie.html in my Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ - Please use the links at the bottom of the article to share, 'like' and such.


    Elliott's survives to this day. The son of the original owner operates Elliott's on Northwest Hwy in Edison Park.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #190 - December 8th, 2017, 8:43 am
    Post #190 - December 8th, 2017, 8:43 am Post #190 - December 8th, 2017, 8:43 am
    The greasy spoon breakfast spot on Main St was Morry's. Subsequently, it became LTH favorite and GNR Patty's Diner.


    Dave--I loved Patty's ham hash, and haven't anything remotely close to it since.
  • Post #191 - December 8th, 2017, 10:20 am
    Post #191 - December 8th, 2017, 10:20 am Post #191 - December 8th, 2017, 10:20 am
    jnm123 wrote:
    The greasy spoon breakfast spot on Main St was Morry's. Subsequently, it became LTH favorite and GNR Patty's Diner.


    Dave--I loved Patty's ham hash, and haven't anything remotely close to it since.

    The garbage omelette was my regular thing.
    "Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate!"
    Paul Lynde

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more