LTH Home

Valentines day recs... Again...

Valentines day recs... Again...
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - February 5th, 2008, 10:50 am
    Post #61 - February 5th, 2008, 10:50 am Post #61 - February 5th, 2008, 10:50 am
    I actually like to eat out on Valentine's Day (or near the date). It's another excuse for romance and to try somewhere good right?
    If you want to stay in Lincoln Square, Bistro Campagne is super romantic and delicious. I've been there for a few special occasions.
    I've also done V-Day at La Boca De La Verita. It's a little old-school, and there are roses, but it's not contrived - a very warm place. Or what about Sola?

Venturing out, North Pond would be a great pick - very personal and cozy but still adventurous. Think Cafe on Western is also a good special occasion spot.

There are also number of great spots in Andersonville - Jin Ju, Anteprima, La Tache, Cotes Du Rhone.
  • Post #62 - February 5th, 2008, 11:05 am
    Post #62 - February 5th, 2008, 11:05 am Post #62 - February 5th, 2008, 11:05 am
    ajljr11 wrote:A memorable dining out experience, where the food, service and ambience came together to make things extra romantic ?

My number one recommendation is where tonirogerspark is going: Everest. Spectacular food, the best service I have ever experienced at a restaurant anywhere, and wonderful ambience - not just the elegant dining room itself, but the view out the window from the 40th floor of the Midwest Stock Exchange building, with the city spread out below.

If you would prefer something not as formal (i.e. jackets not required for gentlemen) and/or somewhat less expensive (Everest typically will run $150-225 per person including alcohol and tax/tip, unless you go for their early pre-theater special), two other places where it all comes together are one sixtyblue and North Pond - with the advantage for one sixtyblue for the food (although both are excellent) and the advantage for North Pond for the setting in the middle of Lincoln Park (although both are elegant and romantic). sundevilpeg's recommendation of Oceanique is also a great choice.
  • Post #63 - February 5th, 2008, 11:59 am
    Post #63 - February 5th, 2008, 11:59 am Post #63 - February 5th, 2008, 11:59 am
    ajljr11, if you're looking for a romantic night out, there are a number of threads we could direct you to - but you might want to give a little more direction as to price point and what kinds of places and foods you consider "romantic."

After all - the most romantic meal I ever had (aside from the gesture mentioned upthread) was on the floor of my now spouse's nearly empty apartment. He made my MIL's linguine with clam sauce (which I'm going to post in the food desert thread when I find it :evil: ) Frankly, anytime he's willing to stretch culinary horizons is romantic for me - so we often end up at ethnic storefront mom-n-pop places (conversely, when I take him out, it's in the realm of meat and potatoes. Such is love.)

For the record - I am exactly the kind of person who would avoid Times Square on NYE and opt for three days later. It's strictly personal preference - I'm not bashing anybody who likes crowds and hubbub, but count me as one who doesn't.
    Last edited by Mhays on February 5th, 2008, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #64 - February 5th, 2008, 12:41 pm
    Post #64 - February 5th, 2008, 12:41 pm Post #64 - February 5th, 2008, 12:41 pm
    I had a very lovely Valentine's Day at Bistro Campagne two years go and returned for my anniversary this past August.

I think the ambiance, food and service is top notch. Prices are reasonable, pretentiousness is at a bare minimum and French food in general is rather romantic.

I agree that going out during the holidays can be very hit or miss, and I for one, would prefer to stay away from the masses. But as someone who went a very long time not having someone special to share this day with (as petty and Hallmark of a day it may be to some), I've embraced both the lowkey evening at a "no name" restaurant and a night out at a place that attracts a crowd.

This year we're going to Fuddrucker's and Gameworks...perhaps low class to some, but sure to be a lot of fun.
  • Post #65 - February 5th, 2008, 1:09 pm
    Post #65 - February 5th, 2008, 1:09 pm Post #65 - February 5th, 2008, 1:09 pm
    From being both a consumer, and a worker in the restaurant field on many Feb 14ths passed, there is really no way I think I'd ever try to go out for din din on Valentine's day. Just not worth the hassle. What sux now is that the s/o's bday is Feb 14th as well. Luckily, I can cook things to rival most of what we'd normally go out for, so usually, I just make a special meal. On tap for this year? Probably stir fried greeen beans and shiu mai as an app, followed by sushi, and cheesecake for desert. Day after, we're doing the whole dinner thing at SdM with a group, and bringing a full bar with us. :twisted:
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #66 - February 5th, 2008, 2:13 pm
    Post #66 - February 5th, 2008, 2:13 pm Post #66 - February 5th, 2008, 2:13 pm
    After a string of THREE V-Day's spent in the fray, hubby and I have given up on going anywhere that would be considered more upscale or romantic on the actual day. It's just not worth the hassle for us. If we decide to go out we'll walk over to High Dive or something else low-key. If not we'll order a pizza or maybe just make some chicken or whatever at home. We will do a nice dinner on Saturday instead. That's just us though! To each their own!

But on to the recommendation....West Town Tavern. It's in my neighborhood and it is FABULOUS. And I will say they handle holidays well. We went this New Years Eve with a group of 8 and it was perfect in every way, and the food is simply delicious!
  • Post #67 - February 7th, 2008, 2:49 am
    Post #67 - February 7th, 2008, 2:49 am Post #67 - February 7th, 2008, 2:49 am
    Another vote here for North Pond.
    It seems to me that it's the kind of place that even when it's 'swamped' it doesn't feel like it.
    and it's romantic. and the food is wonderful.
  • Post #68 - February 7th, 2008, 6:54 am
    Post #68 - February 7th, 2008, 6:54 am Post #68 - February 7th, 2008, 6:54 am
    I will have to throw my lot in with the valentines day fare is usually disappointing crowd. I would also think that any of the North Pond, Everest, type places are booked.

What we have found as a happy solution to eating out on holidays is the old ethnic restaurant or event restaurant theme.

I would bet that you would have a nice time on Argyle, Devon, Bryn Mawr.

Or Maybe tickets to Second City and a walk to the Fudge Pot, Dinner at Tango Sur and a movie at the Music Box, Drinks in Andersonville and Too Much Light, Al Hambre, Medievil Times (yes they serve beer)

And though you should not take any advise from me seriously I have found with some degree of success over the years that if you want credit for being thoughtful you should do the heavy lifting yourself,
    i.e. cook, plan, or take some initiative beyond plunking down hard earned cash for an impersonal meal and leaving your fate to others. Places like Fox and Obel and Whole Foods
    make it pretty easy for even the most unseasoned cooks to put together a special meal.

“Statistics show that of those who contract the habit of eating, very few survive.”
    George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright (1856-1950)
  • Post #69 - February 7th, 2008, 8:56 pm
    Post #69 - February 7th, 2008, 8:56 pm Post #69 - February 7th, 2008, 8:56 pm
    One of the more romantic meals I've had in the city was at Merlo on Maple. The food was delicious and the ambiance was perfect - very cozy. I admit I've never eaten there on V-Day but for a special night out it was very memorable.
  • Post #70 - February 7th, 2008, 10:32 pm
    Post #70 - February 7th, 2008, 10:32 pm Post #70 - February 7th, 2008, 10:32 pm
    andshewas wrote:Another vote here for North Pond.
    It seems to me that it's the kind of place that even when it's 'swamped' it doesn't feel like it.
    and it's romantic. and the food is wonderful.

North Pond is most likely booked at this point.
    I dined there on Valentine's Day two years ago. The "special" menu was disappointing and expensive (about $110 per person if I recall).
    Granted, the ambiance is breathtaking.
    I'm not as much a fan of North Pond as some other folks seem to be.
    At any rate, since this thread started out seeking a suggestion of where TO dine rather than where NOT to dine, how about Think Restaurant on Western?
    I love restaurants. You're sitting there and all of a sudden, there's food. It's like magic.
    - Brian Wilson
  • Post #71 - February 9th, 2008, 7:18 pm
    Post #71 - February 9th, 2008, 7:18 pm Post #71 - February 9th, 2008, 7:18 pm
    My Customary Dining Companion and I will be having an impromptu celebration tomorrow. We really like going out on Sundays now that football season is over (our last Sunday out was at Smoque, on another bitterly cold afternoon in mid- January) - makes for long, leisurely lunches or dinners, and aren't those always romantic by default?

Tomorrow's plan: "Michael Clayton" at the Evanston GoogolPlex, because 1) CDC is a movie buff, and he likes to see as many Oscar-nominated films as possible before the awards show, and 2), speaking fo myself, whooo, Clooney! :oops: Afterwards: UBAA, in the bar. Warm, cozy, informal, unhurried - and those burgers are so good. After that, back home for some homemade coconut tapioca creme brulee. Coconut makes it good; fire makes it fabulous. :mrgreen:

Yup....IMO, "romantic" is definitely in the eye of the beholder!
  • Post #72 - February 10th, 2008, 11:17 pm
    Post #72 - February 10th, 2008, 11:17 pm Post #72 - February 10th, 2008, 11:17 pm
    What a surprise it will be when you arrive.

http://whitecastle.com/ValentinesDay/
  • Post #73 - February 10th, 2008, 11:28 pm
    Post #73 - February 10th, 2008, 11:28 pm Post #73 - February 10th, 2008, 11:28 pm
    Fox and Obel has an actually good Valentines Day deal - surprise, surpise!

2 Prosciutto wrapped filets

Strawberry finishing balsamic glaze

2 Australian lobster tails

Garlic Herb Butter

1 Bottle Heron Pinot Noir

3 large Chocolate dipped strawberries

$99.00 - not bad!
  • Post #74 - February 11th, 2008, 1:43 am
    Post #74 - February 11th, 2008, 1:43 am Post #74 - February 11th, 2008, 1:43 am
    I think I'll make a heart shaped pizza or go to White Castle.
  • Post #75 - February 11th, 2008, 1:50 am
    Post #75 - February 11th, 2008, 1:50 am Post #75 - February 11th, 2008, 1:50 am
    Snark wrote:Fox and Obel has an actually good Valentines Day deal - surprise, surpise!

2 Prosciutto wrapped filets

Strawberry finishing balsamic glaze

2 Australian lobster tails

Garlic Herb Butter

1 Bottle Heron Pinot Noir

3 large Chocolate dipped strawberries

$99.00 - not bad!

that's quite a good price all things considered.

Must one call ahead for this?
  • Post #76 - February 12th, 2008, 6:36 pm
    Post #76 - February 12th, 2008, 6:36 pm Post #76 - February 12th, 2008, 6:36 pm
    Well, thanks again for all the great advice. I decided to try North Pond (we're going on Wed.night because of work, but we'll beat the V-day rush), mainly for what seems to be a unique setting and I know my wife has never even heard of it. It also seems to be upscale but a bit less than some of the other biggies like Everest or Alinea...I'll save one of those for the 1st anniversary coming up. I've read quite a few mixed reviews about the food and service, so anyone want to offer some good or bad choices?

thanks
    T
  • Post #77 - February 12th, 2008, 9:53 pm
    Post #77 - February 12th, 2008, 9:53 pm Post #77 - February 12th, 2008, 9:53 pm
    ajljr11 wrote:I've read quite a few mixed reviews about the food and service, so anyone want to offer some good or bad choices?

Mixed reviews? Almost everything I've heard has been good!

I ate dinner there in October. I don't remember everything I ate, but I remember a few things. One thing I remember is that, when you get an entree, they plate it with 3-4 other items and so you get lots of tastes of different things, some of which can be stunning. I ordered a fish entree and the fish was very good, but one of those other items on the plate was a warm crab mousse and it was heavenly. I also remember loving my dessert, which was a light almond-flavored mousse. I don't remember the exact words with which they were listed on the menu, but those were my favorite items of a dinner that was excellent in every way.
  • Post #78 - February 13th, 2008, 6:21 am
    Post #78 - February 13th, 2008, 6:21 am Post #78 - February 13th, 2008, 6:21 am
    I'm looking for a place, any place, in or around Lakeview, to go for a Valentine's Day dinner. It doesn't have to be particularly romantic (we're mostly going out on the 14th because it was convenient for us both) but the food does have to be good, and reasonably priced.

Thanks for any suggestions!
  • Post #79 - February 13th, 2008, 10:47 am
    Post #79 - February 13th, 2008, 10:47 am Post #79 - February 13th, 2008, 10:47 am
    conor610,

How about Kuma's? I'm thinking it might actually be less crowded than normal due to the holiday. While the atmosphere isn't romantic, I would argue that the food is, in that it is made with love. :)

Most places in lakeview will have a prix-fixe meal that is usually more expensive than the normal dinner, and often isn't as good because the restaurants are so swamped on this day.

Another advantage of Kuma's is, even if they are crowded, they're used to the crowds so they are more likely to be able to handle it well.

Love,
    John
    It isn't that I'm not full...
  • Post #80 - February 16th, 2008, 5:42 am
    Post #80 - February 16th, 2008, 5:42 am Post #80 - February 16th, 2008, 5:42 am
    LTHForum,

Marie's Pizza on Lawrence turned out to be the perfect low key Valentine's Day celebration. Heart Shaped pizzas

Marie's Heart Shaped Pizza

$4.50 Martini's every Thursday

Live music in the form of the Jeannie Tanner Trio, every Thursday, not just Valentine's Day

Jeannie Tanner Trio

And a very drinkable '04 Chianti Classico bought in the attached liquor store for $12.99. Marie's charges but $2.50 corkage, yielding a significant savings over normal restaurant wine list mark ups.

Cookie Morowitz with bacon and mushroom heart shaped pizza, a delicious combination I had not previously tried.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Marie's Pizza
    4127 W. Lawrence
    Chicago, Il
    773-725-1812
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #81 - February 16th, 2008, 5:45 am
    Post #81 - February 16th, 2008, 5:45 am Post #81 - February 16th, 2008, 5:45 am
    G Wiv wrote:Cookie Morowitz with bacon and mushroom heart shaped pizza, a delicious combination I had not previously tried.

This I find shocking. Not that Cookie had it, but that you had never. :D
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #82 - February 16th, 2008, 1:37 pm
    Post #82 - February 16th, 2008, 1:37 pm Post #82 - February 16th, 2008, 1:37 pm
    I know it is a little too late for this year, but for future reference Barnabys Pizza in Northbrook also serves heart shaped pizza on Valentine's Day.

BARNABYS of NORTHBROOK
    960 Skokie Boulevard
    (at Sunset Ridge Rd)
    Northbrook, IL 60062
    (847) 498-3900
  • Post #83 - February 16th, 2008, 1:41 pm
    Post #83 - February 16th, 2008, 1:41 pm Post #83 - February 16th, 2008, 1:41 pm
    The bacon & mushroom pizza was very good, mainly from the surprising smokiness of the bacon. Usually, bacon on pizzas has all the flavor of reconstituted bacon bits, but this was some bacon with serious flavor.

Now if only Marie's would graduate to fresh mushrooms.

iblock9 wrote:I know it is a little too late for this year, but for future reference Barnabys Pizza in Northbrook also serves heart shaped pizza on Valentine's Day.

Honestly, I haven't come across a sit-down pizzeria that doesn't these days. It's seemingly ubiquitous.

Best,
    Michael
  • Post #84 - February 14th, 2009, 11:08 pm
    Post #84 - February 14th, 2009, 11:08 pm Post #84 - February 14th, 2009, 11:08 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Marie's Pizza on Lawrence turned out to be the perfect low key Valentine's Day celebration. Heart Shaped pizzas

For the second year in a row Marie's was the perfect place to spend Valentine's day. Low key, Marie's terrific thin crust pizza in heart shaped form, Chianti Classico from the attached liquor store, a fun, and surprisingly good, strolling trio and, best of all, both Nadine and her husband Tom, both extremely talented, singing with the trio, not to mention a random customer with a well trained professional voice.

Heart Shaped Pizza

Nadine, Owner Marie's, with LTHForum GNR

Lucas_S, Nadine

9-months to 90-years everyone in the restaurant seemed to be in a good mood, laughter, smiles, singing along, toe tapping and general good cheer, even Ellen and I were not immune. :)

G Wiv, MsWiv

It was so much fun I think next year I'll set up an LTHForum Marie's Valentine's Day Event, not unlike the LTHForum Christmas dinner in Chinatown.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #85 - February 15th, 2009, 1:11 am
    Post #85 - February 15th, 2009, 1:11 am Post #85 - February 15th, 2009, 1:11 am
    Hi,

I don't precisely observe Valentine's Day. However, I do like to keep myself cheerfully occupied.

I beelined to the Chicago History Museum today for the one-cent admission in honor of Lincoln's birthday. This was a very good deal, because it is merely 7.14285 x 10 to the -4 power of the usual price of $14 (though no audio tour!). While the Lincoln exhibit was unexpectely brief and not as wonderful as the Lincoln exhibit of a decade ago, I certainly got my money's worth.

The women's haute couture exhibit was very nice with a description of the dress followed by brief information on the person who donated them. A number of the ladies were known to my friend and I, though I will admit she knew many more than I did. A few dresses had miniature dress replicas available to handle to check their construction. Several dresses had little picture cards with snappy statements on the rear. One dress was once worn by Leo Durocher's wife, whom my Mom happens to know. I was thrilled her red dress was one featured on those little cards. The perfect Valentine to give to Mom to pass onto her acquaintance.

On the second floor balcony, they have a photo booth to get a free four-picture strip of yourself. Actually not exactly free, to activate the machine you needed a quarter. However the museum had a plastic cup flowing the quarters to use to activate the machine. You not only get the strip, you can later find your four-set on the Chicago History Museum's website. You can then edit your picture by fitting a Lincoln-esque image over your own. They will eventually select four-best Lincoln-esque images to go on a CTA bus. One-cent day lasts through tomorrow and Monday is their usual free-admission day at the Chicago History Museum.

I drove up to Evanston to show a friend how corn dogs can taste best. She was terribly impressed by Wiener and STill Champion's corn dog, then swooned over the country fried bacon. She badly wanted to order the country fried gyro and sample the corn dipped chili bomb, but without Gus around to execute this order. We were told to come back another time.

We drove up Green Bay Road to stop in at Homer's Ice Cream, where Al Capone liked his ice cream treats. We knew we wanted to sample their Prairie Berrie ice cream, which had won some professional Chef award. I saw an article with Carlos and Debbie Nieto touting the apple cinnamon ice cream. We ordered a double scoop cup with one of each flavor to share. While my friend was reluctant to try the cinnamon apple expecting no apple and too much cinnamon. All negative expectations were wrong, there was chunks of apple, some crunchy cinnamonny things and an overall light cinnamon flavor. We ended up liking the cinnamon apple ice cream more than the Prairie Berrie award winning ice cream. The Capone nugget I dropped early on is on their website, but not memorialized in their store. My friend and I disagreed whether pushing the Capone story in the store would attract or repulse customers. I consider the Capone thing just a bit tired, but that is just me.

Yada yada yada --- ok, visited the Highland Park Historical Society (yes, I am definitely associated with it) and my Mom, then took an 86-year-old widowed friend out to China Buffet in Libertyville. She dressed in red for the day and I wore my obnoxious 'Whose your Crawdaddy?' t-shirt from Ron's Cajun Cafe in Utica, IL. Whatever mismatched tablemates we may be, during dinner I remembered we were just weeks away from 40 years of friendship. Long ago, I was a ten-year-old who came for lunch and never really left.

On the way home, with a detour to Chicago, I stopped at Culver's to share a cup of red raspberry ice cream with whole fresh berries that still tasted better than the Prairie Berry at Homer's. Of course, when push comes to shove, I will eat all the ice creams I enjoyed today again and again.

In my own cockeyed way, I had a very nice Valentine's Day.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #86 - February 15th, 2009, 9:59 am
    Post #86 - February 15th, 2009, 9:59 am Post #86 - February 15th, 2009, 9:59 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    We drove up Green Bay Road to stop in at Homer's Ice Cream, where Al Capone liked his ice cream treats. We knew we wanted to sample their Prairie Berrie ice cream, which had won some professional Chef award. I saw an article with Carlos and Debbie Nieto touting the apple cinnamon ice cream. We ordered a double scoop cup with one of each flavor to share. While my friend was reluctant to try the cinnamon apple expecting no apple and too much cinnamon. All negative expectations were wrong, there was chunks of apple, some crunchy cinnamonny things and an overall light cinnamon flavor. We ended up liking the cinnamon apple ice cream more than the Prairie Berrie award winning ice cream.

And if you have not yet tried it, the Fresh Peach (really) ice cream at Homer's is truly their best of all. The problem is, it is not available until peaches are in season in July, and then only for a couple of months thereafter. Homer's peach ice cream is not heavy on the almond/peach pit flavor that many other peach ice creams have. Instead, the flavor of fruit itself dominates and the pieces of peach are almost tart.

Homer's also serves a very good hot fudge. This is a dark chocolate version; it's sweet, but with enough bitterness not to be cloying. And their nuts are salted, another bonus.

I had no idea about Homer's Capone connection, but every time I am in there, I see older people who are likely visiting for the tastes they remember. If only Homers had real dishes rather than disposable ones! To me, that is the hallmark of a great ice cream parlor. It just tastes better in a tulip-shaped glass dish. It's disrespectful to memorable ice cream to serve it in a plastic cup. It's ironic, too, as the forgettable plastic lasts eternally in the landfill.

Cathy2 wrote:In my own cockeyed way, I had a very nice Valentine's Day.

I'm glad that you had a nice Valentine's Day. As I have always maintained, the life of a food lover offers many consolations. And yesterday my need for consoling was great after an assignation gone awry: I was stood up by the entire staff of the State of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles on Valentine's Day morning. The sign on the door, like the website, advised that they would be closed Friday for Lincoln's Birthday. But who knew what impulsive romantics those patronage bureaucrats can be? I'm not the only person they stood up to celebrate Valentine's Day. The parking lot was full of other romantics like me who erroneously believed that this was the day that they could score a vehicle registration, license plates, and other such love tokens. . . alas! My hopes dashed yet again!

Embittered, I drove aimlessly until I reached Hartford's West End. There, I visited some of my favorite finds: Aby's Bakery (Argentinian) and Delicacy Market. I purchased some delicious beet, plum, and walnut salad, and mushroom spread from the deli at Delicacy as well as Lithuanian and Armenian cheeses, German Ham (recommended), smoked sable, and a tiny bit of salmon caviar. Here is a picture of my dessert, one of Aby's alfajores.

But the very best part of my Valentine's Day was yet to come. A package from my daughter was waiting for me. What a surprise to find a handmade Valentine and some Pruneaux d'Agen and chocolates from Dean & DeLuca! I had been looking for several years for Pruneaux d'Agen in the Chicago area and had come up empty. What a sweetheart my daughter is to remember this! All thoughts of the DMV are washed away. In fact, after that pruneau and litchee mousse chocolate, all thoughts are banished. Love endures.

Delicacy Market
    (Russian/Central Asian/Eastern European)
    774 Farmington Avenue
    West Hartford, CT
    860 236-7100
    http://www.delicacymarket.com
    Mon.-Sat. 9 AM - 8PM
    Sun. 10AM - 6PM

Aby's Bakery and Confectionery
    (Argentinian)
    765 Farmington Avenue
    West Hartford, CT
    (860) 231-7773
    Hours: Mon 8AM-2PM, Tue-Sat 8AM-6PM, Sun 8AM-3PMAby's Bakery
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #87 - February 15th, 2009, 11:30 am
    Post #87 - February 15th, 2009, 11:30 am Post #87 - February 15th, 2009, 11:30 am
    Nice Valentine's dinner at Graham Elliot. 5 courses, each involving some kind of flower. There was no advance warning of a set menu, but I think you just have to be able to roll with whatever if you're going to be out on Valentine's Day (especially if it falls on a Saturday). Service and food (with the exception of an underseasoned short-rib dish*) were spot-on though.

*The wife is not such a fan of short-ribs so she was able to substitute a grilled leg of lamb which was fantastic. The taste was a great balance of char and lamb-iness. Much better than the short-ribs.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #88 - February 15th, 2009, 4:47 pm
    Post #88 - February 15th, 2009, 4:47 pm Post #88 - February 15th, 2009, 4:47 pm
    We were very happy with our two ('cuz they're small) heart-shaped Malnati's pizzas at home, but man, that pizza at Marie's looks good!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #89 - February 16th, 2009, 11:15 am
    Post #89 - February 16th, 2009, 11:15 am Post #89 - February 16th, 2009, 11:15 am
    I'm coming out of lurker status to comment on this thread. I'm still recovering from Valentine's Day, which was more like Valentine's week than anything.

For a little bit of background, I've been working in the restaurant industry for almost three years. I spent my first two years as a server at a suburban restaurant that's somewhere between casual and fine dining. We're known for being a romantic spot and we are a large volume restaurant with over 76 tables in regular business, even more than that during patio season. I have been promoted to manager within the last year and this is my first Vday as a manager. It's known in the industry that Vday is nuts, not as nuts as Mother's Day but this year was different.

Valentine's day was on a Saturday.

It doesn't sound like a big deal but it makes a huge difference in compared to other years. Last year we had a guest count of 600 people and it was on a Thursday. This year we hit 900 people on Saturday alone. If you have Vday during the week, the reservations get spread out to the weekends before and after. This year we just had one really really busy weekend. We did 500 on Friday, 900 on Saturday and almost 500 between brunch and dinner on Sunday.

Don't get me wrong, we love having the business. We were so excited to have nearly a thousand reservations Saturday morning. After the abysmal Christmas season, it's nice to see people wanting to go out and eat. We even opened up an hour earlier to accomodate taking more reservations. It's so easy to overbook because people were calling every minute to see if there were any openings. And also that you count on the fact that people do no-shows on this day. We had reservations booked as early as the day after NYE and thanks to opentable lots of new customers trying our restaurant for the first time. I want to thank all of our guests for coming to our restaurant and that we appreciate your patronage though you may never know who I am.

On the other side, we did have about 10 to 15% of no shows. We did have tables that were late, that took long seating at the table, and we had people try to walk-in in the middle of our busy times. I'm happy to say that the wait at the longest was 30 minutes. And for the most part that everyone was happy and in good moods, I don't recall any major incidents from that night.

We told our servers that 2-tops needed to be turned in one hour and fifteen minutes. We gave some of them sections larger than they would usually handle. We took out our big tables so we could cram in as many deuces as we could. Even after we increased the amount of tables that we were expecting to have we still had people waiting for tables.

Would I go out on Vday if I ever had the day off? No, as I have experience on dining from both sides of the table, I would avoid going out on that day. But the romantic in me says that if I had the right reservation at the right restaurant, then yes I would but do so with a grain of salt. I expect long wait times, I expect rushed service, it's hard to have high expectations on that night. But if you have that right partner and there's love in the air, it will be the one of the most wonderful nights of your life.

Sorry for the long post. I'm happy to answer any question about restaurants. I never expected to love working in the restaurant business but it's become one of my passions.

Irine

ETA: Oh and make your reservations now for Easter and Mother's day. We've already had calls for both, we even had someone call on Friday the 13th to volunteer for our Thanksgiving Dinner....
  • Post #90 - February 16th, 2009, 11:27 am
    Post #90 - February 16th, 2009, 11:27 am Post #90 - February 16th, 2009, 11:27 am
    HI,

Chef Louis Szathmary's The Bakery had an interesting way of handling people who lingered. They gave them a packet of matches with the statement, "Dine here, make love at home." People would giggle and sweetly make it out the door.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more