LTH Home

Edzo's Burger Shop - Open!

Edzo's Burger Shop - Open!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 18
  • Post #31 - October 20th, 2009, 7:14 am
    Post #31 - October 20th, 2009, 7:14 am Post #31 - October 20th, 2009, 7:14 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    inter4alia wrote:... but the juice/grease from mine just obliterated that beautiful bun before I was even a quarter finished with the burger...

This is an issue that a lot of places have solved. I am sure it will be worked on. :)

Perhaps Eddie is already doing this, but I have found that a healthy slather of butter serves as a greaseproof barrier that prevents disintigration of the bun, while, unfortunately, causing disintigration of various bodily organs.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #32 - October 21st, 2009, 7:14 pm
    Post #32 - October 21st, 2009, 7:14 pm Post #32 - October 21st, 2009, 7:14 pm
    After running errands in Evanston this past Saturday, specifically the farmers market, I asked my partner in crime to eat lunch with me at Edzo's. I knew it had recently opened and thought it would be a good time to try a new local restaurant that I've read and heard so much about.

Being an impromptu decision to eat at Edzo's, we didn't have a camera, so there are no photos for reference.

We ordered a burger, garlic fries, and a corn dog. Here's what we thought:

The burger, with cheddar, looked okay, but the bun was a bit on the squoosy side (this description was from my dining partner) . We ordered it medium rare - it came completely raw in the center. Eddie admitted he's having trouble getting the doneness right on his burgers and offered to remake the burger. We decided not to get it replaced and eat it as is. However, my dining companion stated this happened once before. The meat itself was tender and had good flavor. However, neither of us found the burger to be anything special and found it to be basically okay.

The garlic-oil sauce was good on the fries, but the fries themselves weren't as good as others that I've had. There wasn't the difference between the crisp exterior and fluffy interior. I don't think he blanches the fries before cooking them. Maybe this would help with the crispness and maintain the softer, potato interior.

The big disappointment was the corn dog. Obviously hand-dipped, but the cornmeal breading was much heavier than I prefer and very grainy. The dog inside was pretty bland too. I've had corn dogs with lighter batter and more spice to the dogs. This corn dog is the reason I don't normally eat corn dogs. Basically because it was too heavy with no flavor.

I understand this is a new restaurant and still working out issues. I hope that Ed can work out the known issues and make improvements to what appears to be a very promising menu and business.
  • Post #33 - October 21st, 2009, 7:26 pm
    Post #33 - October 21st, 2009, 7:26 pm Post #33 - October 21st, 2009, 7:26 pm
    HAVE. THE. GRIDDLED. BURGER.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #34 - October 21st, 2009, 8:43 pm
    Post #34 - October 21st, 2009, 8:43 pm Post #34 - October 21st, 2009, 8:43 pm
    Now I have tinnitus.
  • Post #35 - October 21st, 2009, 11:02 pm
    Post #35 - October 21st, 2009, 11:02 pm Post #35 - October 21st, 2009, 11:02 pm
    The Jersey Girl and I did a Mini-Tasting menu at Edzo’s, today, and we were very impressed. Had the half-pounder grilled and a double on the griddle. Both were very tasty, well-cooked and benefited mightily from the freshly-ground, never-frozen meat. My mistake was ordering too many toppings (“everything”, with Merkts and a fried egg). Next time, I will be far more restrictive with the toppings and let the terrific meat taste be the star. As to the griddle-versus-grill issue, we considered it a draw. Both had nice char and excellent taste.

We had regular fries and garlic fries. Both were good – a nice mix of soft ones and crispy bits – and the garlic-butter had very good flavor without being overwhelming. The vanilla malt and the banana malt both had good flavor. For my preference, I would like to see them thicker and less whipped.

On a side note, but important, the restaurant was bright and colorful and the staff kept it very clean with constant bussing. Eddie said that the smoke issue should be resolved soon, as the HVAC guys are coming in tomorrow. He is also working on reducing the interval from order to receipt of food and he expects that experience will cut this significantly, since this is only their first work of operation. We did not feel that the wait was excessive, but we’re definitely more easygoing about this than folks who are on a lunch break from work.

Looking forward to working our way through the menu.
  • Post #36 - October 23rd, 2009, 3:13 pm
    Post #36 - October 23rd, 2009, 3:13 pm Post #36 - October 23rd, 2009, 3:13 pm
    Mike G wrote:HAVE. THE. GRIDDLED. BURGER.

Not only do I agree with you Mike, but I recommend you have the DOUBLE GRIDDLED BURGER! It was juicy, greasy, tasty goodness. I can't wait to have it again! Thanks Eddie! :D
  • Post #37 - October 23rd, 2009, 9:44 pm
    Post #37 - October 23rd, 2009, 9:44 pm Post #37 - October 23rd, 2009, 9:44 pm
    Ram4 wrote:
    Mike G wrote:HAVE. THE. GRIDDLED. BURGER.

Not only do I agree with you Mike, but I recommend you have the DOUBLE GRIDDLED BURGER! It was juicy, greasy, tasty goodness. I can't wait to have it again! Thanks Eddie! :D

I was at Edzo's at noon today and I'm glad to say that he was doing "land-office business". I counted five empty seats and there were approximately 15 people in line.

I ordered the double griddled with mustard,ketchup,pickle and onion. I must say that it was delicious, although I would have preferred it to be a little "crispier." Fries were spot-on---My only gripe is that he serves Pepsi fountain drinks.

Looking forward to visiting again. Best of luck to Ed.
    "Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsin' around on the airplane?"
  • Post #38 - October 24th, 2009, 12:38 pm
    Post #38 - October 24th, 2009, 12:38 pm Post #38 - October 24th, 2009, 12:38 pm
    cito wrote:My only gripe is that he serves Pepsi fountain drinks.

My only guess is he is trying to drive people to try the shakes.
  • Post #39 - October 24th, 2009, 7:37 pm
    Post #39 - October 24th, 2009, 7:37 pm Post #39 - October 24th, 2009, 7:37 pm
    I prefer Pepsi if I have to get a soft drink, but 95% of the time I drink water now.

I'm curious to hear a report on Edzo's shakes.
  • Post #40 - October 24th, 2009, 8:28 pm
    Post #40 - October 24th, 2009, 8:28 pm Post #40 - October 24th, 2009, 8:28 pm
    My plans for the afternoon changed at the last minute, so I headed to Evanston to see a movie . . . and, beforehand, to sample one of Eddie's burgers . . . one of his chargrilled burgers. It was about 2:15 p.m. and a dozen customers were sitting eating their food in the main room and a group of maybe 7 or 8 freshman-like high school boys were gathered about a table in the long hallway leading to the restrooms. I was one of three people in line waiting to order. I'm assuming it was Eddie taking the orders and manning the cash register.

I ordered the charburger done medium and with just blue cheese as a topping ($5.14, including .75 extra for the blue cheese), garlic fries ($2.99) and a banana shake ($4). Ten minutes after ordering the food was ready. The shake came earlier, though.

The burger was juicy - cooked perfectly, nice and pink throughout. No, or very little char on the outside though. The meat was flavorful - that fresh taste that sets-apart hamburgers such as this one from the frozen for two months before cooking variety. Instead of detracting from the meat patty the bun enhanced it - with, I'm thinking, a little bit of sweetness evident. I was disappointed, though, with I thought was the skimpy amount of blue cheese sitting on top of the meat patty. People who order, and pay extra for something expect more, I think, and if a larger serving of the blue cheese is necessary for the topping's taste to be more evident then a restaurant should charge appropriately for it.

The garlic fries were a delight. The garlic taste was there, but didn't overpower the potatoes. The fries were a bit crispy on the outside, which I like - and the interior wasn't soft and mushy but just right for me.

The banana shake was exceptionally good, I thought as I drank it. Thick, lots of fresh banana, and good vanilla ice cream. A "$5" shake for $4, and worth every penny.

I was less impressed with the physical nature and appearance of the restaurant, however. "Worn," "dirty looking," ratty," old," "poorly maintained," were some of the things that popped-into my mind when I sat at my table waiting for my food and had the opportunity to look around the place. The tables were bing bussed, but it was the other things, appearances that were obvious to me. Damaged walls, some worn and scratched furniture were noticeable. And I haven't seen a restaurant men's room in that bad of shape in years. I had the impression the space was previously occupied by a fast-food restaurant and that the new owner moved in without changing anything - except the name. Also, too, smoke generated by the meat cooking on the griddle and chargrill was backing-up into the eating area and began to irritate my eyes. I was uncomfortable as I sat there and ate.

While I wouldn't think twice about stopping at Edzo's again for one of the charburgers I'd do so only for take-out, not to eat there.
  • Post #41 - October 24th, 2009, 9:12 pm
    Post #41 - October 24th, 2009, 9:12 pm Post #41 - October 24th, 2009, 9:12 pm
    Bill wrote:I was less impressed with the physical nature and appearance of the restaurant, however. "Worn," "dirty looking," ratty," old," "poorly maintained," were some of the things that popped-into my mind when I sat at my table waiting for my food and had the opportunity to look around the place. Damaged walls, some worn and scratched furniture were noticeable. And I haven't seen a restaurant men's room in that bad of shape in years. I had the impression the space was previously occupied by a fast-food restaurant and that the new owner moved in without changing anything - except the name. Also, too, smoke generated by the meat cooking on the griddle and chargrill was backing-up into the eating area and began to irritate my eyes. I was uncomfortable sitting there and eating.

While I wouldn't think twice about stopping at Edzo's again for one of the charburgers I'd do so only for take-out, not to eat there.
    I really disagree with this assessment of the interior. While I didn't see the men's room, I think the dining room is bright and fun. The hand painted mural, with Evanston and Chicago landmark buildings, is a delight. There's a fresh coat of paint on the walls and I can only imagine the work that went into painting the ceiling fan blades to match. The old Vienna Beef signs are charming and give a sense of history and longevity to this new burger joint. Further, I like the fact that everything, furniture included, isn't all new and matchy. That said, the cooking area looked clean, with a shiny stainless steel back splash.

Many Bill's standards are higher than mine, but for a fast food joint, "the physical nature and appearance" of Edzo's are just fine. When I return, it will be to again eat in, as this food certainly will taste best at its freshest, especially the fries.

Ronna
  • Post #42 - October 24th, 2009, 11:03 pm
    Post #42 - October 24th, 2009, 11:03 pm Post #42 - October 24th, 2009, 11:03 pm
    I didn't use the bathroom either, but your description of the interior makes me question whether you went to the Edzo's that I went to. The restaurant came across as very bright and well-polished, well above the level of many restaurants that I enjoy frequently and 50% of GNRs, such as WaSC and Huaraches Dona Chio (not that they're flawed in that respect, just that they're going for a different aesthetic or don't feel the need to maintain an aesthetic). Edzo's could hardly be classified as a greasy spoon, and dining in was a fine experience for me and my friends.
  • Post #43 - October 25th, 2009, 9:24 pm
    Post #43 - October 25th, 2009, 9:24 pm Post #43 - October 25th, 2009, 9:24 pm
    Stopped in today before an soccer game at Northwestern and had a great time. Cool space to be in, larger than I had imagined.

I had the 8oz patty melt, wife had 4oz griddled with everything, brother in law 8oz griddled with swiss and mushrooms, 2 orders of garlic fries, Nuttela shake and Chocolate shake, and as much sweet, sweet mountain dew I could drink in 30 minutes.

Everything was excuted very well. I had assumed that 2 griddled burgers would be used on my patty melt but was extremly happy with the char burger. There was no noticeable char which I was even more excited about and was a perfect medium.

Garlic Fries could be called Vesuvio Fries, in a great way. Nuttela makes everything better.

Overall very happy to have visited, very sad to live in Lakeview.

Cheers and Good Luck.

Bourbon
  • Post #44 - October 26th, 2009, 12:01 pm
    Post #44 - October 26th, 2009, 12:01 pm Post #44 - October 26th, 2009, 12:01 pm
    I have hit Edzo's twice now, and truly enjoyed both visits.

The first was on Friday at 3:50, and Eddie and staff were perfectly happy to have a last minute customer, plus a couple more after me. I ordered the double griddled burger with Swiss, and a regular order of fries. The burger was one of the best I have tried of that style -- the edges lacey, the bun soft but still somehow sturdy enough to handle the meat, the toppings fresh and in the right balance. It reminded me of the best Wisconsin bar burgers after a day of drinking and watching college football. It is what the Billy Goat burger should be. The fries were also great, crisp on the outside and fluffy in the middle, obviously the work of someone who has spent time perfecting the cooking. Since everything was so fantastic, I decided to get food to go for the wife (also because I wanted to try more). I got her the 8oz char burger, medium rare, a Nutella shake, and another order of fries. The burger was cooked to the exact medium rare, and the Nutella shake was very good, with little bits of Nutella frozen by the ice cream as it whirls and melting in the mouth. The fries didn’t survive the ride home well, partially ravaged by me, but also not weathering the steam-in-the-bag effect caused by me sealing them up to protect the rest from my fingers, and the 30 minute drive. A quick run in the oven crisped them up.

The second time I brought my twin 4-year-old sons, who are embarrassingly picky eaters, living mostly on fruit, dairy, nuts and starches. I ordered the double griddled burger with bleu for me, which was cooked perfectly again, but the bleu cheese took this perfect bit of Americana and over-fancied it for me (I might keep the blue on the char burger). The ¼ pound griddled burger with American cheese was literally the first burger that my one boy has eaten. He loved it. So I no longer need to worry about him growing up to be a Communist. My other son had about half of the inside out grilled cheese (claiming the exterior cheese was too crunchy. He was wrong. It is fantastic.) and the fries (which he wouldn’t allow anyone else to touch). They also split a chocolate shake, which literally needed to be pulled out of their hands so they would eat, rather than drink, their meal.

I love the place. Nice work Eddie!
    Today I caught that fish again, that lovely silver prince of fishes,
    And once again he offered me, if I would only set him free—
    Any one of a number of wonderful wishes... He was delicious! - Shel Silverstein
  • Post #45 - October 26th, 2009, 3:43 pm
    Post #45 - October 26th, 2009, 3:43 pm Post #45 - October 26th, 2009, 3:43 pm
    You had me at "Nutella shake". .
  • Post #46 - October 28th, 2009, 12:21 am
    Post #46 - October 28th, 2009, 12:21 am Post #46 - October 28th, 2009, 12:21 am
    Had a late lunch at Edzo's today around 1:30. The order: double 4 oz griddled, merkt's, jalapeno, fried egg (driving on my way up I had a huge debate with myself that bacon would be overkill, and I'm still debating it 10 hours later. Next time). Small fries. Arrived to the table in about 10 minutes. Only can be explained as meaty, cheesy, goodness. I was amazed that such a light bun could hold up throughout. I'm sure he tried many different buns and I'd have to say it shows because that bun from Highland Baking might be the best in Chicago. Fries were crispy and made me wish I had gotten a full order. I've found myself not really interested in burgers lately (I've seriously become obsessed with sausage pizza lately) this might of gotten me back in the game, one of the best I've had this year.

One negative: The ventilation is a real problem, I picked up from the blog that it has been noticed, it is really smokey in there. Smokey goodness but the whole time eating I was wondering if I was going to smell like burger all day. Two women walking in even made a fake "cough" to make their point. Part of me wanted to absorb it in, wear it as cologne but part of me realized some people don't find burger smell as sexy as I do. I figure I have a pretty high tolerance for something like this but I"m sure 95% of the people on the north shore don't have the same tolerance I do.

It seems like they may of had some issues earlier in the day (he said they had just had a kitchen meeting to regroup) and everyone looked a little haggard. From a business standpoint I would take the Hot Doug model of a tip jar for the cooks. I've never seen line guys who work happier, cleaner, and motivated: more customes = more tips.
  • Post #47 - October 28th, 2009, 9:03 am
    Post #47 - October 28th, 2009, 9:03 am Post #47 - October 28th, 2009, 9:03 am
    pizano345 wrote:Part of me wanted to absorb it in, wear it as cologne but part of me realized some people don't find burger smell as sexy as I do.

pizano-

I really enjoyed your post, but this line had me laugh out loud. Thanks for starting my day on a high note.

-Mary
    -Mary
  • Post #48 - October 28th, 2009, 12:47 pm
    Post #48 - October 28th, 2009, 12:47 pm Post #48 - October 28th, 2009, 12:47 pm
    I know this is a Temple to Beef but are there any vegetarian or fish options?

Planning on making the trip on Sunday with a few friends...
    "Make Lunch, Not War" ~ Anon
  • Post #49 - October 28th, 2009, 12:51 pm
    Post #49 - October 28th, 2009, 12:51 pm Post #49 - October 28th, 2009, 12:51 pm
    I meant to scan and upload a copy of the menu which I picked-up during my visit. I'll try to remember to do that later today or in the a.m. tomorrow. I recall a portobello mushroom burger (just the portobello and trimmings, no meat), and maybe another veggie option - so there's at least one major non-meat item on the menu.
  • Post #50 - October 28th, 2009, 1:12 pm
    Post #50 - October 28th, 2009, 1:12 pm Post #50 - October 28th, 2009, 1:12 pm
    Bill wrote:
    I meant to scan and upload a copy of the menu which I picked-up during my visit. I'll try to remember to do that later today or in the a.m. tomorrow. I recall a portobello mushroom burger (just the portobello and trimmings, no meat), and maybe another veggie option - so there's at least one major non-meat item on the menu.

The portobello mushroom burger would be just perfect.

Thanks!
  • Post #51 - October 28th, 2009, 3:01 pm
    Post #51 - October 28th, 2009, 3:01 pm Post #51 - October 28th, 2009, 3:01 pm
    thanks, Bill. we also offer a veggie burger and a grilled cheese.
    http://edzos.com/
    Edzo's Evanston on Facebook or Twitter.

Edzo's Lincoln Park on Facebook or Twitter.
  • Post #52 - October 28th, 2009, 3:51 pm
    Post #52 - October 28th, 2009, 3:51 pm Post #52 - October 28th, 2009, 3:51 pm
    Had to return a book to the Evanston library, so stopped by for a very late lunch/very early dinner yesterday. Got a 4oz griddled with cheddar and a nutella shake. Good stuff all around, think I'll try the char burger next time.
  • Post #53 - October 30th, 2009, 7:10 am
    Post #53 - October 30th, 2009, 7:10 am Post #53 - October 30th, 2009, 7:10 am
    LTH,

What a difference a few weeks make, the trial run I was invited to a few weeks ago was a little shaky, but lunch yesterday was hard on the rails, swift accurate service, juicy crisp edged 4-oz griddled burger, crispy fries and a grilled cheese, which I split, on rye that had me wondering why white bread is the preferred grilled cheese medium of millions.

Busy at noon, with a smiling Eddie Lakin, a calm happy looking Edzo's staff and the pleased murmur munch of satisfied customers having their way with burgers, fries and shakes.

Looking forward to trying the corn dog and patty melt.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
  • Post #54 - October 30th, 2009, 11:06 am
    Post #54 - October 30th, 2009, 11:06 am Post #54 - October 30th, 2009, 11:06 am
    G Wiv wrote:the pleased murmur munch of satisfied customers having their way with burgers

This is poetry! (And a banner quote.)
  • Post #55 - October 31st, 2009, 12:11 am
    Post #55 - October 31st, 2009, 12:11 am Post #55 - October 31st, 2009, 12:11 am
    My friend and I swung by Edzo's near closing Thursday. I was thinking of the double griddled burger I had last week, and had to make sure I wasn't dreaming because it was so good the first time! My friend went for a cheddar charburger. My burger, while excellent, was not transcendant like last time. It was a little on the dry side (but still great), and it looked like the patties were pressed thinner than last time. Eddie suggested next time for me to say I want it on the juicier side/taken off a little earlier. I might even suggest that mine be a little thicker. Either way, I was still very happy with the meal. My friend on the other hand, was saying he felt his charburger was as good as any he'd ever eaten. He clearly was most impressed by the beef itself. It was too late to get a shake/malt, but I was pretty full, so that was a good thing for my body! :wink: Nice to talk to Eddie for bit after closing. My friend was trying to convince him to stay open for dinner as we witnessed at least 6 people get turned away after 4:00. I told one guy at 4:30 who tried to come in with his kid to head over to WASC instead, but to definitely come back to Edzo's as well. :)
  • Post #56 - November 1st, 2009, 7:14 pm
    Post #56 - November 1st, 2009, 7:14 pm Post #56 - November 1st, 2009, 7:14 pm
    Went on Saturday and have already added this to my best burger rotation.

Burger - I got the 8 oz char burger. QUALITY beefy goodness. This was loosely ground and fell apart in my mouth. Just the right amount of merkt's cheddar to add some zing and tang, and rounded off with pickles and onions and I was in burger heaven. The bun is fantastic and a welcome repreive (to me at least) from the pretzel bun offerings at other joints. How such a soft bun can hold together such a serious burger is something to contemplate.

Next time I will try the double griddled burger. That day will be sooner rather than later.

Fries - I opted for the garlic butter fries and I was licking my fingers long after the fries were gone. Only complaint was that while they were crisp on the outside, several of them seemed hollow on the inside. I imagine this was a one-off situaiton or something that will work itself out in the next couple of weeks. . . but still damn enjoyable.

Shake - I couldn't resist, so just before I left I got a nutella shake. I would've slapped my momma if she took it outta my hand. That's how good it was.

MIscellaneous - the staff were friendly and courteous, and Eddie was a true gentleman and spent quite some time shooting the bulll with me and some other customers. The decor is what you expect and what you want in a place like this. Smoke was not a problem on my visit.

Overall - an outstanding experience and a fantastic addition to the "just north of Chicago" burger alley that includes WASC, Patty's, and - why not - Paradise Pup.
  • Post #57 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:16 pm
    Post #57 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:16 pm Post #57 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:16 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:I know this is a Temple to Beef but are there any vegetarian or fish options?

Planning on making the trip on Sunday with a few friends...

As promised we did make our maiden voyage to Edzo's yesterday.

There were so many things I wanted to try but equipped with only so much capacity I made a run at the double 4 oz griddled and the 8 oz char.

Ordered with Everything and no other extras (saved for the next trip).

The Double 4 oz Griddled Burger

Just as I expected and as reported on this thread. Could the lacy edges been a bit crisper? Maybe. But it was cooked perfectly and every bite filled my mouth with juice. The bun did a great job of holding everything together. Seasoned great with a touch of salt coming through.

The 8 oz Char Burger

Where the juiciness of the the 4 ox double was the star this one was also juicy but running down my arms juicy and pooling on the plate. The fresh beef flavor came through well and the toppings complemented the sandwich well. Nice crunch on the pickles.

The trip would not of been complete without having the deservedly highly vaulted...

Butter and Garlic Fires

One of the friends I brought along has a strong interest in healthy eating which includes a vegetarian diet but she could not get enough of these fries. Sopping up the garlic and butter mixture as she was eating and practically licking the bowl when it was done. :)

She did seek out one of the Vegetarian options on the menu...

The Inside-Out Grilled Cheese

... which she enjoyed very much. The crispy cheese has her vowing to to return soon.

My Bride had the 8 oz with Blue Cheese (perfect amount of cheese) and I had the Chocolate Shake which I devoured before I could grab a pic. I could of had two of them. Maybe have a Large option?

All in all we had a great meal and Ed was the perfect host. Busing tables and bring out food when there was a lull at the register and stopping by to chat.

As was mentioned this is another great burger option in an already rich burger area.
  • Post #58 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:23 pm
    Post #58 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:23 pm Post #58 - November 2nd, 2009, 1:23 pm
    The only things I might add to the menu would be a corn roll style tamale and maybe a soup of the day?

Perhaps a higher cut on the pretzel roll used on the char burger to provide a better base? It did hold together well.

I might be wrong but is this the first LTH designed restaurant? From discussions with Ed he did take a lot of cues from the threads here and discussions with LTHer's and others. It does show as all of the items were prepared perfectly as per comments as posted in the forum.
  • Post #59 - November 2nd, 2009, 2:04 pm
    Post #59 - November 2nd, 2009, 2:04 pm Post #59 - November 2nd, 2009, 2:04 pm
    Been there twice in last week.

I echo what many have said: this place is fantastic! The 8oz grilled burger was incredible. It was very beefy and the texture was pleasantly loose and juicy. Obviously a freshly ground and gently formed burger. Done medium rare as requested. The fries were hot and crispy. The shake was delicious and came with the big cold steel cup it was made in. On another time the "old fries" were perhaps a tad luke warm, not as super hot as the first time.

The place was decorated cute for halloween...christened "Edzo's Murder Shop", arm sticking out of a meat grinder, bloody (plastic) cleavers, horror-movie music on and menu board changed to "freshly killed burgers".

The owner is front and center, taking orders, making sure things moved smoothly and apologizing when they didnt, as some carry-out orders did seem to be taking a long time to fill.

Looking forward to exploring the menu (patty melt, maxwell polish), one of the special fries (truffle salt and parmesan or maybe garlic fries) and a different shake flavor (nutella!).

I have lived in Evanston for almost 20 years and this is easily one of the best restaurants to open in E-Town in a long while. Going to be an LTH Great Neighborhood Restaurant. Wow! Just terrific!!!
  • Post #60 - November 2nd, 2009, 3:14 pm
    Post #60 - November 2nd, 2009, 3:14 pm Post #60 - November 2nd, 2009, 3:14 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:Perhaps a higher cut on the pretzel roll used on the char burger to provide a better base? It did hold together well.

Is the bun used on the charburger a pretzel roll? If so, then either I misunderstand what a pretzel roll (bun) is, or the restaurant has made a change in the past two weeks. The bun I had was suprisingly (to me) good, and offered good support and was a nice compliment to the excellent meat patty. Thanks, for whatever insight/explanation you can provide to resolve this question for me.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more