LTH Home

Edzo's Burger Shop - Open!

Edzo's Burger Shop - Open!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 18 of 18 
  • Post #511 - December 1st, 2014, 4:16 pm
    Post #511 - December 1st, 2014, 4:16 pm Post #511 - December 1st, 2014, 4:16 pm
    I didn't realize that Edzo's menu is the food menu at a Wrigleyville place called Deuce's and the Diamond Club:
    http://chicago.eater.com/2014/10/29/709 ... igleyville

So there is a place to go in the city for Edzo's, albeit within a bar.
  • Post #512 - December 1st, 2014, 4:22 pm
    Post #512 - December 1st, 2014, 4:22 pm Post #512 - December 1st, 2014, 4:22 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    The owner of Edzo's Burger Shop, Eddie Lakin, cited a lack of traffic as the reason for closing.

"We just weren't making our rent basically," Lakin said. "I kind of held on for a while hoping it would turn around."

Edzo's original location in Evanston has been in the black since it opened, and had been helping keep the Lincoln Park shop afloat, according to Lakin.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20141201 ... k-location

That's a shame in general (always hard to see good people not be able to make a business work), and particularly as we live close by (and my kids love it). I recall reading somewhere around the time that location opened that they were counting on a decent stream of construction workers from the two former hospital site projects in that immediate area (Childrens and Lincoln Park Hospital), but perhaps that turned out to be less demand than they anticipated. I will be interested to see how long the site sits vacant; there was a Cosi at Webster and Clark just across the street from the Frances Parker School that closed a while ago now due to inability to keep up with the rent and no signs of anything happening there. Seems like a hard rental market to make it work for a fast-food/fast-casual concept, although a new sandwich shop (Snarf's) just opened in the past couple of weeks at the corner of Lincoln and Webster in a space that formerly housed a 7-11, so seems at least some are willing to make a go of it there. I wonder if Edzo's would have had better success if it was just a little further north on Lincoln and could count more on the DePaul crowd, as it seems tailor-made for that market. While I'm not often in Evanston, will look to get to the Edzo's there when I am (as I am unlikely to frequent Deuces and the Diamond Club).
  • Post #513 - December 1st, 2014, 6:11 pm
    Post #513 - December 1st, 2014, 6:11 pm Post #513 - December 1st, 2014, 6:11 pm
    Very disappointing news, but I will now start visiting the new location in Deuce's and The Diamond Club in Wrigleyville.

Not nearly as convenient as the L.P. location but at least Edzo's will still exist in the city!
  • Post #514 - December 2nd, 2014, 7:32 am
    Post #514 - December 2nd, 2014, 7:32 am Post #514 - December 2nd, 2014, 7:32 am
    Good to hear Eddie cutting his losses and not dragging down Evanston with it. It's such a quality product, with all of Eddie's touches adding to it. Also good to hear Evanston's been in the black.
  • Post #515 - December 2nd, 2014, 12:00 pm
    Post #515 - December 2nd, 2014, 12:00 pm Post #515 - December 2nd, 2014, 12:00 pm
    Are Deuce's and the Diamond Club two different places? I run up Clark Street all the time and have only seen Deuce's.

In any case, Deuce's ain't my scene from what I can tell (I'm middle aged, an "un-bro"...and a White Sox fan) so I guess it's Evanston for me. Or Red Hot Ranch on Ashland.
  • Post #516 - December 2nd, 2014, 12:19 pm
    Post #516 - December 2nd, 2014, 12:19 pm Post #516 - December 2nd, 2014, 12:19 pm
    The char burger fans have spoken! Just kidding. I was shocked to see how empty (and small) the LP location was the one time I was over there. Sorry Eddie.
  • Post #517 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:16 pm
    Post #517 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:16 pm Post #517 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:16 pm
    La Cuenta wrote:Are Deuce's and the Diamond Club two different places?

http://www.deucesandthediamondclub.com/
  • Post #518 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:17 pm
    Post #518 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:17 pm Post #518 - December 2nd, 2014, 2:17 pm
    For those of us who didn't mind a messy pre-theater meal, the LP location was a great option before seeing a play at the Greenhouse Theater across the street. Sorry to learn of the shop's demise.
  • Post #519 - January 26th, 2015, 2:29 pm
    Post #519 - January 26th, 2015, 2:29 pm Post #519 - January 26th, 2015, 2:29 pm
    So finally went to Edzo's for the first time.

Didn't do any homework and got to the counter and asked which burger to get the 4oz or the 8oz. Guy recommended the 4oz so I got a double. Have to be honest, it was completely over done and dried out. Truffle fries were great and the shake was great too although for $5 it was on the small size.

So is the 8oz burger the one to get? Did I screw up getting the 4's? He never asked me how I wanted it cooked so I assume the 4s all get cooked the same? I did hear him calling out cooking temps but I assume those were for the 8s.
  • Post #520 - January 26th, 2015, 5:32 pm
    Post #520 - January 26th, 2015, 5:32 pm Post #520 - January 26th, 2015, 5:32 pm
    shakes wrote:So finally went to Edzo's for the first time.

Didn't do any homework and got to the counter and asked which burger to get the 4oz or the 8oz. Guy recommended the 4oz so I got a double. Have to be honest, it was completely over done and dried out. Truffle fries were great and the shake was great too although for $5 it was on the small size.

So is the 8oz burger the one to get? Did I screw up getting the 4's? He never asked me how I wanted it cooked so I assume the 4s all get cooked the same? I did hear him calling out cooking temps but I assume those were for the 8s.

You didn't do anything wrong. When it's done right, the double 4's are amazing. But I've had a bunch that were overcooked and I'm getting tired of the inconsistency. They do burgers all day, you'd think they'd master how to cook them. The 8oz is a charburger, so it's going to taste different (but still awesome).

One thing I've noticed with the griddle burgers is timing is everything. If they sit too long before going out, the magic is lost. They need to be eaten immediately with the juices dripping down! If you order more than one burger and one is a charburger, the cook(s) will start cooking both at the same time, which means the griddle burger sits and waits for the charburger to get done. I guess a nut like myself will just watch for the burger to come up and grab it immediately when it's done. Too much at stake! :wink:

Crack the whip Lakin!
  • Post #521 - July 13th, 2015, 11:18 am
    Post #521 - July 13th, 2015, 11:18 am Post #521 - July 13th, 2015, 11:18 am
    Sunday lunch from Edzo's included a corn dog, turkey burger with cheddar and giardineria, Michigan raspberry shake and five onion fries (fries topped with fried leeks, crispy shallots, green onion, onion cream and one more thing I can't remember.) Great as always.
    -Mary
  • Post #522 - July 14th, 2015, 11:03 am
    Post #522 - July 14th, 2015, 11:03 am Post #522 - July 14th, 2015, 11:03 am
    I stopped by Edzo's last Saturday for the first time in a while, since I was in the area. Unfortunately, the smash burger (while looking very good) was dry as well. I don't mind a medium-well smash burger as long as there's enough fat to keep it juicy. This was dry. Not bad for an average burger joint, but below what my expectations for Edzo's had been in the past. Fries were still excellent as usual. However the whole time I was eating, I was thinking about the Red Hot Ranch double with fries, right up there with OFD's apple fritter for best food quality for value in the city.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more