Home Cookin'

Posted November 3rd 2009, 8:53pm
Does anybody know who has good corned beef in Northwest Indiana? The Munster/Highland/Griffith area is preferable, but Schererville, south Hammond, and even Lansing are doable.

Of course, any and all recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. 8)
Posted November 3rd 2009, 11:28pm
I had a very good, but not destination-worthy, Reuben at Three Floyds. Of course, the outstanding beer menu at an ultra-cool, beneath-the-radar pub in the middle of an industrial park could push this over the line for you.

JiLS
Posted November 4th 2009, 3:34pm
A little bit further west from the area you prefer is Bergstein's NY Delicatessen. They get their meats from Manny's,the best in Chicago,IMO.

Bergstein's NY Delicatessen
200 Dixie Hwy., Chicago Heights
Tel: (708) 754-6400
http://www.bergsteinsdeli.com/

Manny's Coffee Shop & Deli
1141 S Jefferson St
Chicago, IL 60607
(312) 939-2855
http://www.mannysdeli.com/
Posted November 16th 2009, 10:19pm
Thanks, I'll have to check them out. 8)
Posted January 2nd 2010, 9:42pm
My Dad was telling me he used to get great corned beef at Ball of Fire in Calumet City.

Is that place still open?
Posted January 3rd 2010, 7:45am
The Bread Basket in Hammond has very good food. The rueben is excellent.

http://breadbasket-hammond.com/

LocationThe Bread Basket Cafe
7205 Indianapolis Blvd.
Hammond, IN 46324

We are located approximately a quarter mile north of Interstate 80/94 on the east side of Indianapolis Blvd.
Phone Numbers(219) 845-7890
Posted January 3rd 2010, 9:30pm
The Regionrat wrote:The Bread Basket in Hammond has very good food. The rueben is excellent.

7205 Indianapolis Blvd.
Hammond, IN 46324

We are located approximately a quarter mile north of Interstate 80/94 on the east side of Indianapolis Blvd.

Going to have to check it out, thanks 8)

Posted January 4th 2010, 12:07pm
The Regionrat wrote:The Bread Basket in Hammond has very good food. The rueben is excellent.

7205 Indianapolis Blvd.
Hammond, IN 46324

I grew up in Hammond (actually a few blocks away from their original location on Calumet Avenue, where the Krazy Kaplans has now taken up residence,) and have to second this recommendation. The Bread Basket has been churning out fantastic sandwiches and soups for probably over 20 years now, and I'm pretty sure their breads and cookies are still all made in-house.

One tip, if you are going to hit the Bread Basket around lunch time it can get pretty busy so phone first if you're not planning to dine in.
Posted January 5th 2010, 6:44pm
I used to love it when my wife would eat there and bring me home a bag of the bread ends they would sell for next to nothing.The best part of a loaf of bread.
Posted January 6th 2010, 9:24pm
SMT wrote:One tip, if you are going to hit the Bread Basket around lunch time it can get pretty busy so phone first if you're not planning to dine in.

I wish they'd expand their hours. They're only open M-F 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and I usually only eat out on Saturdays.

I'm going to get over there sooner or later, their menu looks interesting.

Posted January 7th 2010, 10:09am
DKriv wrote:
I wish they'd expand their hours. They're only open M-F 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and I usually only eat out on Saturdays.

I'm surprised to hear that they are no longer open on Saturdays, I used to go there all the time with my mom and her bff then for lunch when I was in high school. Oy, that made me feel really old to type out...

It sounds like a phoned-in carry out order may be your best option if their hours are inconvenient for you. I also worked across the street from their current location on Indianapolis Blvd. for several years and phoned in my lunch order all the time so that I wouldn't have to brave the lines. But I still encourage you to give the Bread Basket a try, it's definitely a hidden gem with lots of yummy, freshly prepared food options on the menu.
Posted January 24th 2010, 1:40am
My dad used to own Ball of Fire.. been closed since -- 95 0r so?? He used to give the corned beef away on St. Patty's day... his beef sandwiches, tho... were fabulous!
Posted May 18th 2010, 10:10am
SMT wrote:
DKriv wrote:

I'm surprised to hear that they are no longer open on Saturdays, I used to go there all the time with my mom and her bff then for lunch when I was in high school. Oy, that made me feel really old to type out...

It sounds like a phoned-in carry out order may be your best option if their hours are inconvenient for you. I also worked across the street from their current location on Indianapolis Blvd. for several years and phoned in my lunch order all the time so that I wouldn't have to brave the lines. But I still encourage you to give the Bread Basket a try, it's definitely a hidden gem with lots of yummy, freshly prepared food options on the menu.

Now open only Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM :( I miss the days when the owner's daughters used to work there,and the soup was included with the sammich. Still worth going there,in fact I'm going today.

So many foods,so little time
Posted May 18th 2010, 10:28am
Zel's has very good corned beef.
LTH Forum Holiday Party

Online Information