LTH Home

Corned Beef in NW Indiana

Corned Beef in NW Indiana
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Corned Beef in NW Indiana

    Post #1 - November 3rd, 2009, 8:53 pm
    Post #1 - November 3rd, 2009, 8:53 pm Post #1 - November 3rd, 2009, 8:53 pm
    Does anybody know who has good corned beef in Northwest Indiana? The Munster/Highland/Griffith area is preferable, but Schererville, south Hammond, and even Lansing are doable.

    Of course, any and all recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance. 8)
  • Post #2 - November 3rd, 2009, 11:28 pm
    Post #2 - November 3rd, 2009, 11:28 pm Post #2 - November 3rd, 2009, 11:28 pm
    I had a very good, but not destination-worthy, Reuben at Three Floyds. Of course, the outstanding beer menu at an ultra-cool, beneath-the-radar pub in the middle of an industrial park could push this over the line for you.
    JiLS
  • Post #3 - November 4th, 2009, 3:34 pm
    Post #3 - November 4th, 2009, 3:34 pm Post #3 - November 4th, 2009, 3:34 pm
    A little bit further west from the area you prefer is Bergstein's NY Delicatessen. They get their meats from Manny's,the best in Chicago,IMO.

    Bergstein's NY Delicatessen
    200 Dixie Hwy., Chicago Heights
    Tel: (708) 754-6400
    http://www.bergsteinsdeli.com/

    Manny's Coffee Shop & Deli
    1141 S Jefferson St
    Chicago, IL 60607
    (312) 939-2855
    http://www.mannysdeli.com/
  • Post #4 - November 16th, 2009, 10:19 pm
    Post #4 - November 16th, 2009, 10:19 pm Post #4 - November 16th, 2009, 10:19 pm
    Thanks, I'll have to check them out. 8)
  • Post #5 - January 2nd, 2010, 9:42 pm
    Post #5 - January 2nd, 2010, 9:42 pm Post #5 - January 2nd, 2010, 9:42 pm
    My Dad was telling me he used to get great corned beef at Ball of Fire in Calumet City.

    Is that place still open?
  • Post #6 - January 3rd, 2010, 7:45 am
    Post #6 - January 3rd, 2010, 7:45 am Post #6 - January 3rd, 2010, 7:45 am
    The Bread Basket in Hammond has very good food. The rueben is excellent.

    http://breadbasket-hammond.com/

    LocationThe Bread Basket Cafe
    7205 Indianapolis Blvd.
    Hammond, IN 46324

    We are located approximately a quarter mile north of Interstate 80/94 on the east side of Indianapolis Blvd.
    Phone Numbers(219) 845-7890
  • Post #7 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:30 pm
    Post #7 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:30 pm Post #7 - January 3rd, 2010, 9:30 pm
    The Regionrat wrote:The Bread Basket in Hammond has very good food. The rueben is excellent.

    http://breadbasket-hammond.com/

    LocationThe Bread Basket Cafe
    7205 Indianapolis Blvd.
    Hammond, IN 46324

    We are located approximately a quarter mile north of Interstate 80/94 on the east side of Indianapolis Blvd.
    Phone Numbers(219) 845-7890



    Going to have to check it out, thanks 8)
  • Post #8 - January 4th, 2010, 12:07 pm
    Post #8 - January 4th, 2010, 12:07 pm Post #8 - January 4th, 2010, 12:07 pm
    The Regionrat wrote:The Bread Basket in Hammond has very good food. The rueben is excellent.

    http://breadbasket-hammond.com/

    LocationThe Bread Basket Cafe
    7205 Indianapolis Blvd.
    Hammond, IN 46324

    We are located approximately a quarter mile north of Interstate 80/94 on the east side of Indianapolis Blvd.
    Phone Numbers(219) 845-7890


    I grew up in Hammond (actually a few blocks away from their original location on Calumet Avenue, where the Krazy Kaplans has now taken up residence,) and have to second this recommendation. The Bread Basket has been churning out fantastic sandwiches and soups for probably over 20 years now, and I'm pretty sure their breads and cookies are still all made in-house.

    One tip, if you are going to hit the Bread Basket around lunch time it can get pretty busy so phone first if you're not planning to dine in.
  • Post #9 - January 5th, 2010, 6:44 pm
    Post #9 - January 5th, 2010, 6:44 pm Post #9 - January 5th, 2010, 6:44 pm
    I used to love it when my wife would eat there and bring me home a bag of the bread ends they would sell for next to nothing.The best part of a loaf of bread.
  • Post #10 - January 6th, 2010, 9:24 pm
    Post #10 - January 6th, 2010, 9:24 pm Post #10 - January 6th, 2010, 9:24 pm
    SMT wrote:One tip, if you are going to hit the Bread Basket around lunch time it can get pretty busy so phone first if you're not planning to dine in.


    I wish they'd expand their hours. They're only open M-F 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and I usually only eat out on Saturdays.

    I'm going to get over there sooner or later, their menu looks interesting.
  • Post #11 - January 7th, 2010, 10:09 am
    Post #11 - January 7th, 2010, 10:09 am Post #11 - January 7th, 2010, 10:09 am
    DKriv wrote:
    I wish they'd expand their hours. They're only open M-F 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and I usually only eat out on Saturdays.

    I'm going to get over there sooner or later, their menu looks interesting.


    I'm surprised to hear that they are no longer open on Saturdays, I used to go there all the time with my mom and her bff then for lunch when I was in high school. Oy, that made me feel really old to type out...

    It sounds like a phoned-in carry out order may be your best option if their hours are inconvenient for you. I also worked across the street from their current location on Indianapolis Blvd. for several years and phoned in my lunch order all the time so that I wouldn't have to brave the lines. But I still encourage you to give the Bread Basket a try, it's definitely a hidden gem with lots of yummy, freshly prepared food options on the menu.
  • Post #12 - January 24th, 2010, 1:40 am
    Post #12 - January 24th, 2010, 1:40 am Post #12 - January 24th, 2010, 1:40 am
    My dad used to own Ball of Fire.. been closed since -- 95 0r so?? He used to give the corned beef away on St. Patty's day... his beef sandwiches, tho... were fabulous!
  • Post #13 - May 18th, 2010, 10:10 am
    Post #13 - May 18th, 2010, 10:10 am Post #13 - May 18th, 2010, 10:10 am
    SMT wrote:
    DKriv wrote:
    I wish they'd expand their hours. They're only open M-F 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, and I usually only eat out on Saturdays.

    I'm going to get over there sooner or later, their menu looks interesting.


    I'm surprised to hear that they are no longer open on Saturdays, I used to go there all the time with my mom and her bff then for lunch when I was in high school. Oy, that made me feel really old to type out...

    It sounds like a phoned-in carry out order may be your best option if their hours are inconvenient for you. I also worked across the street from their current location on Indianapolis Blvd. for several years and phoned in my lunch order all the time so that I wouldn't have to brave the lines. But I still encourage you to give the Bread Basket a try, it's definitely a hidden gem with lots of yummy, freshly prepared food options on the menu.


    Now open only Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM :( I miss the days when the owner's daughters used to work there,and the soup was included with the sammich. Still worth going there,in fact I'm going today.
    So many foods,so little time
  • Post #14 - May 18th, 2010, 10:28 am
    Post #14 - May 18th, 2010, 10:28 am Post #14 - May 18th, 2010, 10:28 am
    Zel's has very good corned beef.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more