LTH Home

Wilmette Chuck Wagon - get your grub on

Wilmette Chuck Wagon - get your grub on
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Wilmette Chuck Wagon - get your grub on

Post #1 - December 31st, 2009, 5:04 pm
    Post #1 - December 31st, 2009, 5:04 pm Post #1 - December 31st, 2009, 5:04 pm
    This tiny little place and its fine offerings have been discussed in several other threads but I don't think there's a dedicated thread, so I'm going to start this one. I've been going to the Chuck Wagon since I was in high school, when I was snarfing down dogs, burgers, gyros and a couple of speciaty sandwiches with wild abandon.

The increasing distance between the Chuck Wagon and my office, along with my efforts to eat more healthfully, mean I don't get there as often as I used to or as often as I like. However, today I was in the neighborhood and felt like indulging, so I stopped in for one of my all-time favorite sandwiches: The Waitress Special.

Wilmette Chuck Wagon - 1120 Central Ave, Wilmette, IL

Interior
    The Chuck Wagon is cozy. This shot was taken only a couple of feet from the back wall of the restaurant, looking back at the front door (the glass on the right side of the frame). There's a another counter with a few seats that backs up to this one. That's Sasha, the owner, on the left.

Menu, main items

Menu, other items

Not the typical Chicago-style hotdog-joint condiment set

The Waitress Special
    Just like the sign says, grilled cheese with gyro meat on top. This sandwich was ordered with 'everything,' which includes tomato, lightly grilled onions and a side of tsatziki sauce. It's probably said too often but 'more than the sum of its parts' really applies here. This is a gooey, crispy, greasy, meaty and admittedly trashy delight that, in spite of myself, I cannot help but love.

Obviously, I have my favorite which keeps me coming back but the Niki Special, a gyro-topped cheeseburger, is also another nice somewhat unique attraction. I do know of other places that serve similar sandwiches (CND Gyros Lounge, for one) but these versions are my favorites. They're very well-prepared and I've been enjoying them for decades. The food is solid across the board at the Chuck Wagon. Dogs, burgers and polishes are also well-prepared and everything is cooked to order.

If you're in the area, I highly recommend a stop at the Wilmette Chuck Wagon. It's a surprising little oasis in toney Wilmette and the grub's great.

=R=

Wilmette Chuck Wagon (web site)
    1120 Central Ave
    Wilmette, IL 60091-2650
    (847) 256-0120
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #2 - December 31st, 2009, 5:17 pm
    Post #2 - December 31st, 2009, 5:17 pm Post #2 - December 31st, 2009, 5:17 pm
    I remember their gyros topped burgers fondly from when I used to work across the street. I drive near there on a regular basis but usually in the truck which is too hard to park nearby. Looks like I'll have to make a special trip.
    I used to think the brain was the most important part of the body. Then I realized who was telling me that.
  • Post #3 - December 31st, 2009, 6:09 pm
    Post #3 - December 31st, 2009, 6:09 pm Post #3 - December 31st, 2009, 6:09 pm
    What's a "Losh"? (It's on their website menu.)
  • Post #4 - December 31st, 2009, 6:56 pm
    Post #4 - December 31st, 2009, 6:56 pm Post #4 - December 31st, 2009, 6:56 pm
    Nice stuff. Its one of those spots tons of people have been going to since high school and they always return. The office wasnt lucky enough to get a bag of waitress specials and gyro cheeseburgers brought back for lunch today huh? The waitress special is the way to go and is also one of my favorites. Every now and then I will get a gyro cheeseburger but its been a year or so. Thanks for the reminder.

Chuck Wagons Gyro Cheeseburger
  • Post #5 - December 31st, 2009, 7:24 pm
    Post #5 - December 31st, 2009, 7:24 pm Post #5 - December 31st, 2009, 7:24 pm
    Nice post, I'll have to check them out. I'd definitely go w/the waitress special. How is the burger? Typical frozen patty? 1/4lb or something thinner?
  • Post #6 - January 1st, 2010, 8:36 am
    Post #6 - January 1st, 2010, 8:36 am Post #6 - January 1st, 2010, 8:36 am
    Da Beef wrote:The waitress special is the way to go and is also one of my favorites.

I too have been a patron of the Chuck Wagon since around the time it first opened and I have to disagree a little bit with the above. The Waitress is a fine sandwich but the Nikki defines the Chuck Wagon.

Btw, as a point of reference, I believe they deep fry the hot dogs here. I havent had one in many years but that is my memory.

The Chuckwagon is heavily nostalgic for me in the same way as Sarkis, Buffalo Joes and Irvings. I need a return trip soon.
  • Post #7 - January 1st, 2010, 11:46 am
    Post #7 - January 1st, 2010, 11:46 am Post #7 - January 1st, 2010, 11:46 am
    nsxtasy wrote:What's a "Losh"? (It's on their website menu.)

The Losh is a cheeseburger with gyros and bacon! :D

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #8 - January 1st, 2010, 12:01 pm
    Post #8 - January 1st, 2010, 12:01 pm Post #8 - January 1st, 2010, 12:01 pm
    iblock9 wrote:Btw, as a point of reference, I believe they deep fry the hot dogs here. I havent had one in many years but that is my memory.

Their website mentions deep fried hot dogs, so it appears they are still prepared that way.

Sounds like the "rippers" at Rutt's Hut in New Jersey! "TWO DOGGIES TWO!" :lol:

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more