LTH Home

Chef Ping is the New Yu

Chef Ping is the New Yu
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - November 19th, 2015, 2:15 pm
    Post #31 - November 19th, 2015, 2:15 pm Post #31 - November 19th, 2015, 2:15 pm
    Tried 3 items at lunch today with Steve.

Ping's noodle platter
    Chef Ping's wings
    Szechwan Eggplant

despite asking for extra chilies and heat, I found all to be sweet/cloying and not complex.

Now my 5th time here, I think I've given it the old college try, no more Chef Ping just doesn't serve what I'm looking for.

Edited to add: if you are coming for a weekday lunch, get there before 11:45AM, it was PACKED by then and there was a wait.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #32 - November 19th, 2015, 4:29 pm
    Post #32 - November 19th, 2015, 4:29 pm Post #32 - November 19th, 2015, 4:29 pm
    I completely agree. The food looked great, but lacked very much in the spice department, despite begging for some real heat when ordering. Not all that much in the garlic or ginger department, either. Instead, the waitress brought out some chile oil, but the oil had notes of fruit, rather than heat. I can't understand why this place doesn't deliver on authentic taste, considering the approximately 80% Asian crowd.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #33 - May 12th, 2016, 7:58 am
    Post #33 - May 12th, 2016, 7:58 am Post #33 - May 12th, 2016, 7:58 am
    Of course the one day that Penang (just down the street from Chef Ping) is closed, friend and I go to Chef Ping.

At least this time the waiter was honest and basically stated that the heat won't come even if he requests it, "I'll bring you chili sauce" finished any last hope that I'd have a fulfilling meal.

Even if clients/friends wish to go, I won't, done.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #34 - November 21st, 2016, 12:18 pm
    Post #34 - November 21st, 2016, 12:18 pm Post #34 - November 21st, 2016, 12:18 pm
    Here's an interesting video that introduces the idea of Korean-Chinese food, which Ping's specializes in:

The Four Dishes That Define Korean-Chinese Food

I've enjoyed Ping's renditions of 3 of the dishes mentioned here:
    Black Bean Noodles, Jajangmyeon
    Spicy Seafood Noodle Soup, Cham Pong
    Sweet and Sour Pork, Tang Su Yuk (Look at the Korean side of the menu for this one)
  • Post #35 - June 24th, 2017, 1:50 pm
    Post #35 - June 24th, 2017, 1:50 pm Post #35 - June 24th, 2017, 1:50 pm
    We enjoyed lunch at Chef Ping today. The pot stickers and egg rolls to start out were both good, albeit not unusually so. The two entrees we ordered - orange chicken and spicy shrimp - were both excellent. Thankfully, unlike some of the other frequently-hyped Chinese restaurants around town, neither was sitting in an excess of oil. Portion sizes of both were extremely generous. Both are designated with the little chili pepper icon on the menu to show they are hot/spicy. We didn't specify a heat level for either when ordering. Both entrees had maybe ten dried chili peppers in them; the spicy shrimp was indeed spicy (I'd call it maybe a 7 on a scale of 1 mild to 10 incendiary), while the orange chicken was less so (3), so it does indeed vary. This was one of the best Chinese meals we've had in quite a while, although it's also worth mentioning that we've been frequently disappointed lately when trying Chinese. We'll be back, sooner rather than later, and we look forward to trying a lot more dishes on their menu.

stevez wrote:considering the approximately 80% Asian crowd.

Closer to 90% today.
  • Post #36 - July 15th, 2017, 7:39 pm
    Post #36 - July 15th, 2017, 7:39 pm Post #36 - July 15th, 2017, 7:39 pm
    At dinner tonight I took photos. The previous description still applies. Nothing was terribly spicy, although I think the General Tso's chicken was the only dish that had dried red peppers or was supposed to be at least somewhat spicy (which it wasn't).

Exterior

Interior

Pot stickers (fried)

Shrimp toast

Egg rolls

Shrimp dumplings

Mo-shu pork

Mongolian beef

Garlic chicken

General Tao's chicken
  • Post #37 - March 28th, 2022, 11:36 am
    Post #37 - March 28th, 2022, 11:36 am Post #37 - March 28th, 2022, 11:36 am
    Making my maiden voyage here later this week. Any items that just should not be missed (or should be avoided)?

Thanks,

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #38 - March 30th, 2022, 7:13 pm
    Post #38 - March 30th, 2022, 7:13 pm Post #38 - March 30th, 2022, 7:13 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Any items that just should not be missed?

Answering my own question, as others have posted upthread, Summer Salad is a definite winner . . .

Summer Salad
    Really enjoyed the variety of flavors, textures and temperatures here.

Sesame Chicken
    This was ordered by one of my dining companions, who likes it right down the middle of the fairway. Some of the chicken was as bit stringy but overall, it was fine.

Yellow Chive With Shredded Pork (shown as yellow "leek" on the online menu)
    Really enjoyed this 'less is more' dish, especially the ultra-pungent yellow chives.

We order several other dishes and they were all fine. Shrimp Dumplings and Szechuan Green Beans were some other highlights. Otoh, as my late friend Steve so wisely suspected above, egg rolls were not exactly the star of the show.

Service was excellent and friendly. We met a bit of resistance -- and a few questions -- when ordering the summer salad but we insisted/assured and they brought it. After we devoured it, everyone was friends. :)

=R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more