Deep Dish Pizza

Shallots Bistro Inc
www.shallotsbistro.com
4741 Main Street
Skokie, IL 60076
(847) 677-3463
is closed.

Banner in front says Skokie Club is now open. http://skokieclub.com/
Yes, that Skokie Club from Laris brothers.

"Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better." -- Robert Redford, actor/director
The Sim Sim Kafe has opened in the former Thomas' BBQ location in Aurora:

Sim Sim Kafe

Category: Middle Eastern
1649 Montegomery Rd.
Aurora, IL 60504

(630) 898-3020

Bill-Aurora
Logo signage is up for the Chicago debut of Pei Wei, the fresh fast food concept from PF Changs, in the relatively new shopping plaza at the northeast corner of Elston and Logan Blvd, across from Target.

http://www.peiwei.com/index.html
El Famous Burrito at Lee/Manheim and Algonquin in Des Plaines is now "El Fast Burrito"
Menu and prices appear to be the same.

My navigationally challenged son was very confused when he went to pick up some quick food.

What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
-- Lin Yutang
Yet another Bar Louie is set to open in July, replacing the old Tandoor India space in the Holiday in at 5300 Touhy Ave., Skokie.

I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen. ~ Chef Bruce

Late-Nite Eats Database
Wholly Frijoles is opening a location in Gurnee. In a strip mall, next to a Dunkin Donuts.....

5414 Grand Ave, Suite 100(?)
Gurnee
We just noted the opening of Fina Estampa, a new Peruvian restaurant at 6619 North Clark, a block or so north of Taste of Peru. Their specialty in pollo a la brasa, roast chicken. A whole chicken is about $11 according to a sign in the window. They have (unlabeled) photos of other dishes, but we have not yet had a chance to see the menu.
AaronSinger wrote:
tarte tatin wrote:From MHays in the January-March 2010 Openings, Closings, etc. thread:
>>Since it's still just a rumor, but might be useful information, I thought I'd post this here: Andy's Frozen Custard has leased the old B&N space in downtown Evanston. <<

It now appears to be official. The May issue of North Shore magazine devotes a page to the story, saying the store opens "this month," and gives the following info:
Andy's Frozen Custard
719 Church Street
Evanston
847/864-8009

According to owner Andy Kuntz, his parents started their Missouri-based custard business in 1986 after meeting Leon Schneider of Milwaukee's Leon's Frozen Custard, who taught them all about the frozen treat.

I think it's technically not the former B&N spot but right next door to it; a storefront for Clear (internet on the go) has recently opened there. Unless they've broken up the space.

Does Andy's have any other locations or anyone know anything about the owners? I love frozen custard and that'd be a great addition to downtown Evanston, assuming it's good.

Here are their other locations: http://www.eatandys.com/findandys.aspx

They opened last weekend and I've been twice this week. I wasn't too impressed. It tastes like soft serve I can get in the dining halls.
Shrimp Walk in Highwood is closed. :(

"Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better." -- Robert Redford, actor/director

Lead Moderator
Dave148 wrote:Shrimp Walk in Highwood is closed. :(

The second coming did not survive. You will be surprised to learn in 40 years, I never went there. It's one my quirks, if it is too close to home, I somehow never make it there.

The second one was not the same owners as the first. They sort of snagged the name, which evolved into a legal issue which obviously was resolved.

The family I usually dined with in my youth were pretty dedicated to Scornavaco's. I suspect if they had been regulars at Shrimp Walk, I would have been there from time to time.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
Tien Giang Vietnamese restaurant is back open after a devastating fire at their last location on Argyle back in August 08. Glad to have them back as they were our go to Viet place. Apparently they've been back in business since around March, but we just found them by accident while we were on our way to another area restaurant. Have been twice in the past couple of weeks and the food is as good as before, and the husband & wife that own the place have always been super-nice, too.

http://www.tiengiangrestaurant.com/

4925P-N Broadway, Chicago, IL 60640
Mon-Tues-Wed 10:00am - 10:00pm
Fri-Sat-Sun 9:00am - 10:00pm
Thursday Closed
773-275-4928
There is a sign on the Pepe's Mexican Restaurant at 3242 N Pulaski Rd saying it is becoming a Las Asadas.

When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
Fujisan wrote:There is a sign on the Pepe's Mexican Restaurant at 3242 N Pulaski Rd saying it is becoming a Las Asadas.

Oh god, that's only 3 blocks from home and I already have a 3-visit-a-week las asadas habit. This is not good for my cholesterol.

Ed Fisher
my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
A new yogurt place has opened in streeterville, Fresh Berry

Fresh Berry
211 E. Ontario Street
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 475-5831

I walked by and it's pretty expensive, (small is 5$) but with the only other downtown yogurt option of berry chill I'll check it out and report back sometime soon.

I'm not picky, I just have more tastebuds than you... ; )
The Baja Fresh on Waukegan road in Deerfield is closed.

U Dawg U opened on South Happ Road in Northfield!
LAM026 wrote:U Dawg U opened on South Happ Road in Northfield!

300 S. Happ Road
Northfield, IL, 60093
(847)441-6200

Scuttlebutt says that the Girl and the Goat will soft open in three weeks.

We drove past one of our favorite Thai restaurants in my sister's neighborhood, En*Thai*Ce at 5701 N Clark (Clark & Hollywood, a door or two down from M. Henry) and there was paper over the windows and a gate over the door. :( They had really good Pad Se Eiw- nice and caramelized, with duck as an option for meat, something you don't see often.
abe_froeman wrote:We drove past one of our favorite Thai restaurants in my sister's neighborhood, En*Thai*Ce at 5701 N Clark (Clark & Hollywood, a door or two down from M. Henry) and there was paper over the windows and a gate over the door. :( They had really good Pad Se Eiw- nice and caramelized, with duck as an option for meat, something you don't see often.

That's too bad. I really like a good, caremlized pad se eiw, and it is indeed elusive. Duck sounds like a nice idea with it. Had anyone posted on LTHForum about the pad se eiw with duck at En Thai Ce, I would have been sure to get there to try it.

...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
Martini Park has closed, both here and in Columbus.

LAZ
Please see this thread on LTHForum's new Terms of Service
for why my photos and other portions of my posts have been removed
Index to LTHForum Recipes, 2004-2008

Charter Member
Web
Viet Bistro on Devon east of Clark has paper up in the windows, and Habibi a block or two east looked as if it may have closed as well.

Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
abe_froeman wrote:We drove past one of our favorite Thai restaurants in my sister's neighborhood, En*Thai*Ce at 5701 N Clark (Clark & Hollywood, a door or two down from M. Henry) and there was paper over the windows and a gate over the door. :( They had really good Pad Se Eiw- nice and caramelized, with duck as an option for meat, something you don't see often.

My friend with the Andersonville Chamber of Commerce informs me that it is because the owner is moving back to Thailand. I will miss them, too.
Galena Garlic Co. opening at 318 W. State St. in Geneva.

http://www.galenagarlic.com

LAZ
Please see this thread on LTHForum's new Terms of Service
for why my photos and other portions of my posts have been removed
Index to LTHForum Recipes, 2004-2008
Great news for those of us who dearly miss the old Red Lion near DePaul......I have it on good authority that Red Lion Lincoln Square is right around the corner (possibly late July/early August).....near Rockwell and Lawrence...
Twisty Turns, a new Hot/dog, burger, gyros place just opened on the southwest corner of Weiland and Deerfield Pkwy. in Buffalo Grove. It's in the old Cravings/Fluky's location with a direct inside connection to Kaleidosoops, an ice cream store.

"Call any vegetable...and the chances are good the vegetable will respond to you."
--Frank Zappa
saluki68 wrote:Twisty Turns, a new Hot/dog, burger, gyros place just opened on the southwest corner of Weiland and Deerfield Pkwy. in Buffalo Grove. It's in the old Cravings/Fluky's location with a direct inside connection to Kaleidosoops, an ice cream store.

Actually, it's called Tasty Spin, and is in the same strip mall as Diora, the infamous home of lamb-based Uzbekistani cuisine.
Jasubar wrote:
saluki68 wrote:Twisty Turns, a new Hot/dog, burger, gyros place just opened on the southwest corner of Weiland and Deerfield Pkwy. in Buffalo Grove. It's in the old Cravings/Fluky's location with a direct inside connection to Kaleidosoops, an ice cream store.

Actually, it's called Tasty Spin, and is in the same strip mall as Diora, the infamous home of lamb-based Uzbekistani cuisine.

Tasty Spin
1038 Weiland Road
Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
(847) 537-0700
http://tastyspin.com/2201.html

I'm sorry to say I called Kan Pou today to place an order, and there was a message saying they are no longer in business. The message also said there would be a new tenant July 1st. I'm sad about this - it's one of the places I always intended to visit more regularly.

"To get long" meant to make do, to make well of whatever we had; it was about having a long view, which was endurance, and a long heart, which was hope.
- Fae Myenne Ng, Bone
ParkLaBrea wrote:Great news for those of us who dearly miss the old Red Lion near DePaul......I have it on good authority that Red Lion Lincoln Square is right around the corner (possibly late July/early August).....near Rockwell and Lawrence...

This is the best news I've read in a long while. I loved that place and figured it would be gone forever... any other details? :o
Home Cookin'

Online Information