LTH Home

Sandungas (Oaxacan in NW Suburbs)

Sandungas (Oaxacan in NW Suburbs)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sandungas (Oaxacan in NW Suburbs)

Post #1 - June 24th, 2010, 1:57 pm
    Post #1 - June 24th, 2010, 1:57 pm Post #1 - June 24th, 2010, 1:57 pm
    Preemptive apology for how many times I misspell "Oaxaca" or one of its derivants...

The friendly waitress here automatically gives you two menus. One has the standards: tacos, burritos, etc. The other contains the Oaxacan specialities. So far, I've enjoyed the chicken leg with dark mole and the chile relleno with picadillo. I've only had mole a couple times, but this version seems sweeter and richer than what I tasted at other restaurants. I was expecting some bitterness that never actually arrived. This sauce was a delicious coating for the juicy chicken. Next, the wonderful chile relleno was stuffed with a mixture of chicken, carrots, potatoes, onions, raisins, nuts(?), who knows what else, and topped with a thin tomato sauce and cheese. A new combination of ingredients for me, and for some reason, reminiscent of my grandpa's homemade chop suey (maybe the cooked green pepper). My wife ate tamales steamed in banana leaf with mole, but I can't say much about that, except that they looked good.

The Oaxacan menu also advertises roasted nopales, at least two kinds of tortillas made in-restaurant, stuffed pineapple (what?), and a bunch of other terms I don't understand. I'm excited.

It's located on the far left side of the parking lot that includes the La Rosita grocery store. There's a bakery with doughnuts next door.

Sandungas Restaurant
    1160 E Dundee Rd
    Palatine, IL 60074
  • Post #2 - July 18th, 2014, 8:04 pm
    Post #2 - July 18th, 2014, 8:04 pm Post #2 - July 18th, 2014, 8:04 pm
    Anyone know if this place is still open? I bought a Restaurant.com coupon at the end of 2013, and I just found it, and I'd love to go -- as I've been to Oaxaca and would love to check out their Oaxacan menu.

However, I haven't seen a single review anywhere online since 2013, and I've been calling for a couple of days with no answer. A search online doesn't bring up any news -- just reviews dated to 2011-2013.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #3 - July 19th, 2014, 2:30 pm
    Post #3 - July 19th, 2014, 2:30 pm Post #3 - July 19th, 2014, 2:30 pm
    Question answered.

Last night, at about 9pm, the message popped up on Google -- "closing soon" with hours given as 10am-10pm for yesterday, and nothing afterwards.

Today, I drove past, and it's gone -- already replaced by another Mexican restaurant (so no redecorating needed).

I haven't been to that area in a long time, and it was interesting to see that it's an entire strip mall of Mexican shops, restaurants, and grocery store. Worth going back to explore. Just sorry the Oaxacan place closed.

• Post #4 - July 19th, 2014, 2:45 pm
    Post #4 - July 19th, 2014, 2:45 pm Post #4 - July 19th, 2014, 2:45 pm
    I too am sorry I never got to try it.

If you're interested in other places that usually have several moles available - typical of Oaxacan cuisine - consider Salsa 17 in Arlington Heights, Yolo in Skokie, or Sol de Mexico in Chicago/Belmont-Cragin.
  • Post #5 - July 19th, 2014, 4:49 pm
    Post #5 - July 19th, 2014, 4:49 pm Post #5 - July 19th, 2014, 4:49 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:I too am sorry I never got to try it.

If you're interested in other places that usually have several moles available - typical of Oaxacan cuisine - consider Salsa 17 in Arlington Heights, Yolo in Skokie, or Sol de Mexico in Chicago/Belmont-Cragin.

Thanks. Nice to know that at least one of them is out my way. I was just hoping to get a tlayuda, which reports said were good at Sandungas. Who knows, maybe the new place is great. I'll be going back to check. But Salsa 17 is close, so I'll definitely look there for moles.

• Post #6 - July 20th, 2014, 12:25 pm
    Post #6 - July 20th, 2014, 12:25 pm Post #6 - July 20th, 2014, 12:25 pm
    Cynthia wrote:Salsa 17 is close, so I'll definitely look there for moles.

Although this is not on the menu, sometimes when I go I'll ask and they're happy to bring samples of all the moles they have that evening.

Enjoy!
  • Post #7 - July 20th, 2014, 7:29 pm
    Post #7 - July 20th, 2014, 7:29 pm Post #7 - July 20th, 2014, 7:29 pm
    nsxtasy wrote:
    Cynthia wrote:Salsa 17 is close, so I'll definitely look there for moles.

Although this is not on the menu, sometimes when I go I'll ask and they're happy to bring samples of all the moles they have that evening.

Enjoy!

Thanks. Great tip. I'd love to find someplace with a variety of moles.

• Post #8 - February 11th, 2019, 12:37 pm
    Post #8 - February 11th, 2019, 12:37 pm Post #8 - February 11th, 2019, 12:37 pm
    Not to fret, there is another place serving Oaxacan food not too far away...

La Donita
    598 Potter Rd, Des Plaines
    "Make Lunch, Not War" ~ Anon

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events