LTH Home

Best Italian Beef

Best Italian Beef
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 27 of 34
  • Post #781 - September 9th, 2016, 9:02 am
    Post #781 - September 9th, 2016, 9:02 am Post #781 - September 9th, 2016, 9:02 am
    Independent George wrote:I've become addicted to Beef Shack.
    which Beef Shack do you normally go to? I ask as the one in Schaumburg uses a hoagie type roll which I find is very subpar for an IB.
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Stumbled upon Tommy's Italian Beef, Etc. when some other business took me to Mt. Prospect recently. I searched the thread (and the site) but couldn't find any direct hits. Any intel on this place? I saw an article in The Daily Herald in which the owner claims that just about everything is made in house. Thanks.

712 Northwest Hwy
    Mt Prospect, IL 60056
    (847) 398-6800

=R=
    had a few beefs from Tommy's, good if in area, I wouldn't say destination worthy, but in fairness it has been quite awhile since I was last there. Time for a visit for comparison sake as last night I just took a client to Al's on Taylor, wet wit hot, we were both happy campers.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #782 - September 9th, 2016, 9:09 am
    Post #782 - September 9th, 2016, 9:09 am Post #782 - September 9th, 2016, 9:09 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Stumbled upon Tommy's Italian Beef, Etc. when some other business took me to Mt. Prospect recently. I searched the thread (and the site) but couldn't find any direct hits. Any intel on this place? I saw an article in The Daily Herald in which the owner claims that just about everything is made in house. Thanks.

712 Northwest Hwy
    Mt Prospect, IL 60056
    (847) 398-6800

=R=
    Sweet Willie wrote:had a few beefs from Tommy's, good if in area, I wouldn't say destination worthy, but in fairness it has been quite awhile since I was last there. Time for a visit for comparison sake as last night I just took a client to Al's on Taylor, wet wit hot, we were both happy campers.

I did eventually stop in there, too and thought both the beef and the combo were decent. What I really liked was their giardeniera, which was tasty, hot and loaded with olives.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #783 - September 25th, 2016, 6:35 pm
    Post #783 - September 25th, 2016, 6:35 pm Post #783 - September 25th, 2016, 6:35 pm
    Took a ride with my brother back to Scatchell's Beef and Pizza in Cicero. We had it once and really liked it and I wanted to have it again. Their beef tends to be more of the shredded/tender type and I love the place. Totally old school. Then we tried a new one for us - Pete's Red Hots in Oak Park. When I saw they sold their homemade beef by the pound, I felt my hopes surge. I would be rewarded with yet another great beef - a large sandwich, with a rich broth, almost a little sweet, tender slices of beef with extra hot giardiniera. This is about as hot as any out there - Johnnie's would be as hot. I am happy to say I have found too many great beef joints in the last few years to limit myself to a Top 5, so I now have a Top 10 and these are both on that list.

Scatchell's Beef and Pizza
    4700 W Cermak Rd
    Cicero IL
    708-696-0911 Open Late

Pete's Red Hots
    6346 W Roosevelt Rd
    Oak Park IL
    708-383-6122
  • Post #784 - October 11th, 2016, 10:10 am
    Post #784 - October 11th, 2016, 10:10 am Post #784 - October 11th, 2016, 10:10 am
    Had a great beef yesterday at Hot Dog Station on Kimball near Lawrence next to the Brown Line. They had been mentioned as one of the best in Chicago on Thrillist and I wanted to check them out. I like that they normally dip the beefs as standard procedure. They serve Red Hot Chicago products as well. I will definitely return. Their fries were frozen with skin on them, nothing special unfortunately. Skip the fries, get two beefs. :wink:

Hot Dog Station
    4742 N Kimball
    Chicago IL
    773-588-2580
    Closed on Sundays but the owner is considering staying open 7 days a week
  • Post #785 - December 4th, 2016, 1:23 pm
    Post #785 - December 4th, 2016, 1:23 pm Post #785 - December 4th, 2016, 1:23 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Had a great beef yesterday at Hot Dog Station on Kimball near Lawrence next to the Brown Line. They had been mentioned as one of the best in Chicago on Thrillist and I wanted to check them out. I like that they normally dip the beefs as standard procedure. They serve Red Hot Chicago products as well. I will definitely return. Their fries were frozen with skin on them, nothing special unfortunately. Skip the fries, get two beefs. :wink:

Hot Dog Station
    4742 N Kimball
    Chicago IL
    773-588-2580
    Closed on Sundays but the owner is considering staying open 7 days a week

Thanks for the rec, that's not too far for me. I've been running low on new beef joints to try out in my area.

Just had another sandwich from Marco's on Fullerton, and they continue to impress. This has become my favorite beef on the West Side, and yes, that includes Johnnies! Marco's gives you a heaping pile of tender beef sliced so thin, it's almost feathery. The giardinera is a celery and carrot heavy mix that's really grown on me. The gravy has a rich homemade taste to it, and the price is right, at $5.45 for a big sandwich. Marco's is a little bit out of my way, but well worth the drive.

Marco's Beef and Pizza
    6008 W Fullerton Ave, Chicago, IL 60639
  • Post #786 - February 9th, 2017, 1:46 pm
    Post #786 - February 9th, 2017, 1:46 pm Post #786 - February 9th, 2017, 1:46 pm
    Last edited by For_The_Love_Of_Beef on May 17th, 2017, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #787 - February 9th, 2017, 11:01 pm
    Post #787 - February 9th, 2017, 11:01 pm Post #787 - February 9th, 2017, 11:01 pm
    Wow, that's a lot of spices! I think I'll just go to Al's and let them do all the cooking and cleaning. But I am very curious to hear if anyone on here is up for the challenge.
  • Post #788 - February 10th, 2017, 7:58 am
    Post #788 - February 10th, 2017, 7:58 am Post #788 - February 10th, 2017, 7:58 am
    I make a very good beef today which is more like Johnnie's. Al's has a unique taste that I like very much. It has to do with spice mix as I can taste the allspice and nutmeg. The subtleties of the spice mix is the trick. Was never sure what their process was so I kept to my standard recipe that I came up with. Thanks for this and in the near future I will give it a go. Will report and am excited to get that taste profile.
  • Post #789 - February 10th, 2017, 9:44 am
    Post #789 - February 10th, 2017, 9:44 am Post #789 - February 10th, 2017, 9:44 am
    Puckjam wrote:I make a very good beef today which is more like Johnnie's. Al's has a unique taste that I like very much. It has to do with spice mix as I can taste the allspice and nutmeg. The subtleties of the spice mix is the trick. Was never sure what their process was so I kept to my standard recipe that I came up with. Thanks for this and in the near future I will give it a go. Will report and am excited to get that taste profile.

Glad that you might give it a try. Yeah, it's not a task for everyone but I think it's worth it. It comes pretty darn close IMO. I think just the mass quantities that are cooked at the actual location and amount of gravy in they have on hand from the roasts gives it a more powerful flavor. Please if you do try this out be sure to STRAIN the beef juices before re-introducing the beef back into it.
    Last edited by For_The_Love_Of_Beef on February 10th, 2017, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #790 - February 10th, 2017, 9:55 am
    Post #790 - February 10th, 2017, 9:55 am Post #790 - February 10th, 2017, 9:55 am
    Also, as noted in my recipe, this calls for alot of beef. So maybe if your attempting this with a smaller amount of beef...maybe cut the spice portions in half? Just looking out for you guys.
  • Post #791 - February 10th, 2017, 12:53 pm
    Post #791 - February 10th, 2017, 12:53 pm Post #791 - February 10th, 2017, 12:53 pm
    Sweet Willie wrote:
    Independent George wrote:I've become addicted to Beef Shack.
    which Beef Shack do you normally go to? I ask as the one in Schaumburg uses a hoagie type roll which I find is very subpar for an IB.

712 Northwest Hwy
    Mt Prospect, IL 60056
    (847) 398-6800

=R=
    had a few beefs from Tommy's, good if in area, I wouldn't say destination worthy, but in fairness it has been quite awhile since I was last there. Time for a visit for comparison sake as last night I just took a client to Al's on Taylor, wet wit hot, we were both happy campers.

I have to agree about Beef Shack, I have tried the location in Schaumburg several times and I have found the sub style roll that appears to be toasted takes away from the traditional IB experience. The beef itself was juicy but the roll was unable to really soak up all the goodness because of being toasted.
    “There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi
  • Post #792 - February 10th, 2017, 8:47 pm
    Post #792 - February 10th, 2017, 8:47 pm Post #792 - February 10th, 2017, 8:47 pm
    I appreciate your posting your recipe, ForTheLoveOfBeef, because by coincidence I've been experimenting (again) with homemade Italian beef sandwiches lately. Yes, there are a lot of ingredients in the mix, but only a few that I don't normally have on hand anyway. If I get a chance to try this out, I'll report back on how it turned out.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #793 - February 11th, 2017, 9:07 pm
    Post #793 - February 11th, 2017, 9:07 pm Post #793 - February 11th, 2017, 9:07 pm
    Katie wrote:I appreciate your posting your recipe, ForTheLoveOfBeef, because by coincidence I've been experimenting (again) with homemade Italian beef sandwiches lately. Yes, there are a lot of ingredients in the mix, but only a few that I don't normally have on hand anyway. If I get a chance to try this out, I'll report back on how it turned out.

Cool, I hope you try it out. It's just the meat portion that some people may shy away from. You could half the amounts for a 9-10lb roast.
  • Post #794 - February 13th, 2017, 11:56 am
    Post #794 - February 13th, 2017, 11:56 am Post #794 - February 13th, 2017, 11:56 am
    Last edited by For_The_Love_Of_Beef on May 17th, 2017, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #795 - March 9th, 2017, 6:57 pm
    Post #795 - March 9th, 2017, 6:57 pm Post #795 - March 9th, 2017, 6:57 pm
    eating while walking wrote: {previous reply snipped}
    Just had another sandwich from Marco's on Fullerton, and they continue to impress. This has become my favorite beef on the West Side, and yes, that includes Johnnie's! Marco's gives you a heaping pile of tender beef sliced so thin, it's almost feathery. The giardinera is a celery and carrot heavy mix that's really grown on me. The gravy has a rich homemade taste to it, and the price is right, at $5.45 for a big sandwich. Marco's is a little bit out of my way, but well worth the drive. {photobucket image snipped to save bandwidth ~ mine}
    Marco's Beef and Pizza
    6008 W. Fullerton Ave., Chicago, IL. 60639
    I am getting bad | good at this. :cry:
    What is “this”?
    Remember prior posts from me here on LTHF where I decide I am going to a specific venue in metropolitan Chicago? I either take transit, or I actually drive the 1987 Chevrolet Sprint to the address I have for it.
    And the specific venue is unexpectedly closed. :?:
    Let me think. No, I am not going to go look at my former entries here. I'm at home, and on v.92. You with the broadband connectivity can do that if you wish. I think it has been two ramen shacks, and one italian beef stand.
    Today, with the weather forecast for the next four days looking more like February than March, which I guess is somehow connected to February having weather more like April, I opted to haul out the 1987 Sprint and grocery shop.
    I decided to hit the Aldi's and the Dollar Tree in the 6500 west block of Fullerton Ave., in the outdoor strip mall. I left the domicile here at 2:30 pm [GMT-6].
    But, as you well know, it is not a good move to grocery shop on an empty stomach. So I decided to go to Mr. D.'s Shish Kabob and have its steak sandwich.
    Denizens of LTHF are indubitably catching on to what is about to occur. (Notice which thread contains this reply?)
    I decided to park the Sprint on N. Normandy, not Diversey. As I slowed down to make the north turn, I espy a hand-printed sign in the front window.
    Closed this week.
    Be back next week.
    What was the contingency? Thankfully, I always strive to have one. In this instance, it was to go back southeast to {ding ~ notice the quoted reply?} Marco's Beef and Pizza.
    As far as secondary choices go, this was a pretty good one. I punted for its italian beef meal, which throws in french fries and a small soda ~ and it is still from the Royal Crown family of beverages. :wink: Peppers are an extra 50¢. (Grumble, grumble. Peppers should be included in the base price.)
    For costing extra money, Marco's really gives you extra quantity. As eating while walking scribed above, it is crammed with carrots and celery, and has only a smattering of giardiniera. Take a look. :) Image The fries are institutional crinkle-cut. Just average. The problem I had with Marco's italian beef sandwich is that it is quite leaky and very messy. It was dipped, and I guess its bun couldn't absorb all the broth. So, depending on how you pick it up to raise it to your mouth, a permutation of beef, veggies, or broth is going to fall out of the far end. Ensure you take a spoon or fork from the counter to deal with this.
    With that caution, I agree with eating while walking that this is in the Top 10 of Italian Beef sandwiches. Go have it. The cost for this contingent meal: $10.27. Credit Cards, or Apple® Pay, in addition to cash, are accepted.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #796 - March 15th, 2017, 7:17 pm
    Post #796 - March 15th, 2017, 7:17 pm Post #796 - March 15th, 2017, 7:17 pm
    For_The_Love_Of_Beef wrote:Hi guys, I wanted to share with you one of my copycat recipes for Al's #1 Italian beef. I type out my copycat recipes that I try out and save them. I figured this would be easier to just upload the image of that. I've spent alot of time on my interpretation of Al's and I hope you give it a try. I will let you be the judge, if you decide to take on this recipe.

Thanks for reading!

ImageCopyCatRecipe by douglas adcock, on Flickr

This is very thorough detective work. I'll commit to making this recipe, perhaps this weekend. Als is #1 on my beef list so I will let you know how it compares.
  • Post #797 - March 17th, 2017, 4:17 pm
    Post #797 - March 17th, 2017, 4:17 pm Post #797 - March 17th, 2017, 4:17 pm
    eating while walking wrote:
    For_The_Love_Of_Beef wrote:Hi guys, I wanted to share with you one of my copycat recipes for Al's #1 Italian beef. I type out my copycat recipes that I try out and save them. I figured this would be easier to just upload the image of that. I've spent alot of time on my interpretation of Al's and I hope you give it a try. I will let you be the judge, if you decide to take on this recipe.

Thanks for reading!

ImageCopyCatRecipe by douglas adcock, on Flickr

This is very thorough detective work. I'll commit to making this recipe, perhaps this weekend. Als is #1 on my beef list so I will let you know how it compares.

Sounds good man! I did leave out one thing. Because alot of people would be put off by it, but along with the fennel seed, I add an additional 2 tsp of Anise seed and a pinch of Clove. Removing the Cumin seed. You really get that aroma but it gets covered by everything else which makes it very difficult to pinpoint the flavor profile. Hope you give it a try.
  • Post #798 - March 20th, 2017, 2:58 pm
    Post #798 - March 20th, 2017, 2:58 pm Post #798 - March 20th, 2017, 2:58 pm
    Many joints around town make their sandwiches out of standard prepackaged foodservice ingredients from Vienna, Scala's, etc, which usually results in a mediocre sandwich - I'm sure that's not news to the beef aficionados here! Having eaten many of these generic sandwiches I can confidently say that most of them are not worth the effort of chewing and swallowing. But every so often you walk into a stand where they treat those prefab ingredients with care and make a sandwich better than the sum of its parts. That was my experience at Charcoal Delights on Saturday, where I enjoyed a very satisfying sandwich:

The meat has that very smooth, brined texture you get with product frozen in gravy, but it was juicy and tender, not held too long like at other places, the giard was crunchy and the roll was fresh and sturdy, holding out to the very end even when soaked in gravy. No surprises, just a very good standard beef sandwich.

Charcoal Delights
    1090 E Oakton St Des Plaines, IL 60018
    7.24/10 on the beef-o-meter

For_The_Love_Of_Beef wrote:Sounds good man! I did leave out one thing. Because alot of people would be put off by it, but along with the fennel seed, I add an additional 2 tsp of Anise seed and a pinch of Clove. Removing the Cumin seed. You really get that aroma but it gets covered by everything else which makes it very difficult to pinpoint the flavor profile. Hope you give it a try.

I didn't get to try your recipe yet, because I have to eat through about 20 pounds of corned beef leftovers after this weekend. I will definitely let you know once I have a chance.

Thanks
    Last edited by eating while walking on March 20th, 2017, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #799 - March 20th, 2017, 3:20 pm
    Post #799 - March 20th, 2017, 3:20 pm Post #799 - March 20th, 2017, 3:20 pm
    For_The_Love_Of_Beef wrote:Sounds good man! I did leave out one thing. Because alot of people would be put off by it, but along with the fennel seed, I add an additional 2 tsp of Anise seed and a pinch of Clove. Removing the Cumin seed. You really get that aroma but it gets covered by everything else which makes it very difficult to pinpoint the flavor profile. Hope you give it a try.

If I understand this correctly: do not put in Cumin seed, instead 2 tsp Anise and a pinch of clove (ground?).

Is your recipe for two 10-pound top sirloins of beef?

Thanks for sharing your research!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #800 - March 20th, 2017, 4:52 pm
    Post #800 - March 20th, 2017, 4:52 pm Post #800 - March 20th, 2017, 4:52 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:

If I understand this correctly: do not put in Cumin seed, instead 2 tsp Anise and a pinch of clove (ground?).

Is your recipe for two 10-pound top sirloins of beef?

Thanks for sharing your research!

Regards,
    Cathy2

No problem Cathy2,

Yes, if you have the Anise seed, omit the Cumin and use 2 tsp of anise instead. I know people think that anise seed and fennel seed are the same, but you really need both. And yes, a pinch of clove. Or 1/4 tsp. I know Clove can be strong.

This recipe will work with a 10lb Top round. The amounts should stay the same. You want lots of liquid for the broth/juices. If you can swing it, do the (2) 9-10lb roasts.

Thanks for your response!
  • Post #801 - March 20th, 2017, 4:54 pm
    Post #801 - March 20th, 2017, 4:54 pm Post #801 - March 20th, 2017, 4:54 pm
    And cut each Top round in half. Helps make room in the pot/dutch oven, etc..
  • Post #802 - May 12th, 2017, 11:22 am
    Post #802 - May 12th, 2017, 11:22 am Post #802 - May 12th, 2017, 11:22 am
    Boston's is closing tomorrow, 5/13/17.

We purchased a home not far away and heard rumors for several months the family sold the business and building. The rumors were the building would be torn down for new development.

https://chicago.eater.com/2017/5/10/15613270/joe-bostons-italian-beef-closing-closed-humboldt-park
  • Post #803 - June 10th, 2017, 10:17 am
    Post #803 - June 10th, 2017, 10:17 am Post #803 - June 10th, 2017, 10:17 am
    Stopped at Bob-O's on Irving Park and Cumberland the other night. I know I haven't had a lot of IB's (haven't been to Johnnys) but Bob-O's is right up there at the top for me. Helps that they also have amazing fries.
  • Post #804 - July 10th, 2017, 6:50 pm
    Post #804 - July 10th, 2017, 6:50 pm Post #804 - July 10th, 2017, 6:50 pm
    I had my first Frannies beef today and was stunned how delicious the meat was. I didn't love the bread (a little denser than I prefer) and I prefer the type of giardiniera served at Johnnie's and Bob-O's (Frannies uses a combo of celery and jalapenos (I think) in oil). Yet this was still a fantastic beef sandwich, and maybe the most flavorful beef I've ever had (or certainly right near the top). I'll be returning soon to see if this was a one hit wonder or if Frannies is consistent. As for the fries, just okay and not remotely in the same league as my favorites, Bob-O's and Red Hot Ranch.
  • Post #805 - July 12th, 2017, 4:30 pm
    Post #805 - July 12th, 2017, 4:30 pm Post #805 - July 12th, 2017, 4:30 pm
    Frannie's has a very good beef. With Mr. Beef and Pizza, Bob-O's, Frannie's, and Jay's in that NW side area, you have four solid options.
  • Post #806 - July 12th, 2017, 6:19 pm
    Post #806 - July 12th, 2017, 6:19 pm Post #806 - July 12th, 2017, 6:19 pm
    Ram4 wrote:Frannie's has a very good beef. With Mr. Beef and Pizza, Bob-O's, Frannie's, and Jay's in that NW side area, you have four solid options.

I've only been to Jay's once, but my beef was rather dry and lacking in flavor . . . haven't been back. It might have been a one-time problem, but I'm not sure I'll give 'em another try with the options I have.
  • Post #807 - July 14th, 2017, 10:29 pm
    Post #807 - July 14th, 2017, 10:29 pm Post #807 - July 14th, 2017, 10:29 pm
    BR wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:Frannie's has a very good beef. With Mr. Beef and Pizza, Bob-O's, Frannie's, and Jay's in that NW side area, you have four solid options.

I've only been to Jay's once, but my beef was rather dry and lacking in flavor . . . haven't been back. It might have been a one-time problem, but I'm not sure I'll give 'em another try with the options I have.

Jay's is my least favorite of that group and I've only had it once, but it was decent. My brother went back this week and said it was good (but he doesn't like their giardiniera).
  • Post #808 - August 1st, 2017, 10:07 pm
    Post #808 - August 1st, 2017, 10:07 pm Post #808 - August 1st, 2017, 10:07 pm
    I'm in the closing stretch of getting brewery seals for my CCBW Passport.
    I'm doing amazingly well. I must remember to list all the breweries to which I've been - and, I add, all of which were attended without use of an automobile. I also remark that a handful of days found me out of state (in Minneapolis, MN. and Canton, OH).
    But the reason for this reply is because on Monday, I went to the Blue Nose (not Note) Brewery in Hodgkins, IL, on the Pace route #330 bus, and, since it is B.Y.O.F., stopped by at Casciani's on the southwest corner of Joliet Rd. (old U.S. 66) and East Ave.
    Casciani's seems to be bereft of mentions here on LTHF. The shack has a lot of color boosting it. There is some connection to Chicago gridiron squads of the late 1980s. Although it has pizzeria in its name, seems that what it fervently recommends are its breaded steak and its italian beef sandwiches.
    Luckily for me, this was where I stopped in to get something for Blue Nose. Wound up with both the italian beef and its commendable hot dog (+ fries ~ the Monday special).
    Image Image Image Image Image The italian beef was, to be honest, average. Its hot peppers were mostly celery and onions, a few black olives, with only a few capers, which is my preference. But the amount of beef squeezed into the bread was above average. :)
    Can't recommend many beers at Blue Nose. The beer I thought I should enjoy, its porter, was just too sweet AFAIWC. But its Sticky Wicket English Mild Ale (4.9% abv) was pleasant. However, if you do venture here, do stop @ Casciani's for food. 8)
    Last edited by pudgym29 on February 25th, 2020, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #809 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:31 am
    Post #809 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:31 am Post #809 - August 2nd, 2017, 11:31 am
    pudgym29 wrote:Casciani's seems to be bereft of mentions here on LTHF. The shack has a lot of color boosting it. There is some connection to Chicago gridiron squads of the late 1980s. Although it has pizzeria in its name, seems that what it fervently recommends are its breaded steak and its italian beef sandwiches.
    Luckily for me, this was where I stopped in to get something for Blue Nose. Wound up with both the italian beef and its commendable hot dog (+ fries ~ the Monday special).

The italian beef was, to be honest, average. Its hot peppers were mostly celery and onions, with only a few capers, which is my preference. But the amount of beef squeezed into the bread was above average. :)

I used to work in the area and the Breaded Steak Sandwich is an area favorite. Often when I get the beef I order it with cheese (and a splash of red) which includes a trip through the pizza oven. Pretty good stuff!

Casciani's Pizzeria
    9200 Joliet Rd, Hodgkins
    (formerly from Cicero, east of Austin on 16th)
    http://www.cascianispizza.com/
    (708) 482-9200

Next time in the area you should also give...

Little Joe's Restaurant
    20 E Plainfield Rd, Countryside
    https://littlejoesbeef.net/
    (708) 352-9696

... a try. Best when they are busy. :)

Working the breweries? Don't forget my personal favorite in the area...

BuckleDown Brewing
    8700 47th St, Lyons
    http://www.buckledownbrewing.com/
    (708) 777-1842
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #810 - August 16th, 2017, 11:19 pm
    Post #810 - August 16th, 2017, 11:19 pm Post #810 - August 16th, 2017, 11:19 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote: I used to work in the area and the Breaded Steak Sandwich is an area favorite. Often when I get the beef I order it with cheese (and a splash of red) which includes a trip through the pizza oven. Pretty good stuff!
    Casciani's Pizzeria
    9200 Joliet Rd, Hodgkins
    (formerly from Cicero, east of Austin on 16th)
    http://www.cascianispizza.com/
    (708) 482-9200
    Next time in the area you should also give...
    Little Joe's Restaurant
    20 E Plainfield Rd, Countryside
    https://littlejoesbeef.net/
    (708) 352-9696
    ... a try. Best when they are busy. :)
    Working the breweries? Don't forget my personal favorite in the area...
    BuckleDown Brewing
    8700 47th St, Lyons
    http://www.buckledownbrewing.com/
    (708) 777-1842
    pudgym29 wrote: {edited by prior respondent} Casciani's seems to be bereft of mentions here on LTHF. The shack has a lot of color boosting it. There is some connection to Chicago gridiron squads of the late 1980s. Although it has pizzeria in its name, seems that what it fervently recommends are its breaded steak and its italian beef sandwiches.
    The italian beef was, to be honest, average. Its hot peppers were mostly celery and onions, with only a few capers, which is my preference. But the amount of beef squeezed into the bread was above average. :)
    I love (partially) quoting myself.
    I did get to BuckleDown Brwg. later that week. I had to walk from the south terminus of the Pace #311 Oak Park bus. But that was a nice walk as it took me by the venue which houses Lyons Adult Video, which is also where the "Gentleman's Pages" magazine is published. :twisted:
    I think I was the one who delivered the bad news that Mimi's Adult Book Store [one of its advertisers] had closed (after 47 years :!:) .
    Anyhow - Yes, BuckleDown is recommended whereas Blue Nose is not; and as such, a moderator may opt to move this reply to the "Something To Drink" rubric. I wound up getting to fifty-two breweries in Illinois on the CCBW Passport. I believe I will get something for this (perhaps a ticket to a regular session of FoBAB), because nobody else got to this many breweries. Throw in that I did not drive to any of them could earn me a bonus. :)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more