LTH Home

Big Daddy's BBQ - Gary IN.

Big Daddy's BBQ - Gary IN.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Big Daddy's BBQ - Gary IN.

Post #1 - January 19th, 2011, 11:31 am
    Post #1 - January 19th, 2011, 11:31 am Post #1 - January 19th, 2011, 11:31 am
    You have to watch the you tube clip on there web site. Never been there and cant find the menu, see in the twits they were doing some lamb.
    I am ready for some fat hickory smoked spares SOON!

Big Daddy's BBQ
    4213 Cleveland St
    Gary, IN 46408
    219-888-9592
    http://www.bigdaddysbarbque.com/index.html
    Last edited by Cbot on January 20th, 2011, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - January 19th, 2011, 12:42 pm
    Post #2 - January 19th, 2011, 12:42 pm Post #2 - January 19th, 2011, 12:42 pm
    I've never been (or heard of it) but I live near there. I'll see what I can dig up this weekend.
  • Post #3 - January 20th, 2011, 5:15 am
    Post #3 - January 20th, 2011, 5:15 am Post #3 - January 20th, 2011, 5:15 am
    Llama wrote:I've never been (or heard of it) but I live near there. I'll see what I can dig up this weekend.
    Big Daddy's BBQ looks to have real potential, Aquarium smoker and years of experience at flea markets and his church before opening the restaurant.

I'd sure be interested in on-site feedback.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #4 - January 20th, 2011, 11:42 am
    Post #4 - January 20th, 2011, 11:42 am Post #4 - January 20th, 2011, 11:42 am
    I posted about them Here

Maybe when they're cooking indoors on an aquarium smoker things are different.
  • Post #5 - January 24th, 2011, 10:11 am
    Post #5 - January 24th, 2011, 10:11 am Post #5 - January 24th, 2011, 10:11 am
    "Big Daddy's is the best BBQ for 20-miles in any direction"
    ReneG

Big Daddy

Chock full Aquarium smoker plus two oil drum cookers chugging away in the back and multiple groups of waiting take-out customers keep Big Daddy and staff busy.

Big Daddy's BBQ Aquarium Smoker

Oil Drum Smokers, with three more in reserve

Standard Chicago South side/West side plating, layer of fries, meat, squishy white bread, we asked for sauce on the side.

Pulled pork sandwich, tip/link combo, half-slab spare ribs, brisket sandwich

When asked Big Daddy's said he uses a combination of mesquite lump charcoal, hickory and apple wood. I'm guessing a lot more mesquite lump charcoal then wood, though the smoke flavor of the meat, while light, was clean with no hint of smolder/creosote.

Spare ribs meaty with nice chew, slightly caramelized exterior from direct style cooking and moist. Flavor/texture suffered a bit from being held, but overall well within the BBQ framework.

Spare Ribs

Tips had nice char, meaty with juicy pockets of fat, great gnawability, though, like the spare ribs, suffered a bit from being held. Tip flavor was dominated by a salty artificial brightness, my guess is Accent, which wore out the palate quickly. Spare ribs had a similar, but less pronounced rub. I am guessing the majority of customers get their meat sauced which would serve to mask the, to my taste, overuse of salty msg based flavor enhancers.

Tips, foreground/Link, background

Fine grain neutral flavored links led me to ask if we had mistakenly received turkey instead of pork. Though the answer was pork, I am still not convinced the mild links were not turkey. Not a bad link overall, I just like more punch in my Hot Links. As an aside, turkey burgers looked good and Big Daddy said he does something called Turkey Burnt Ends, which sounded interesting.

(L) Links, (R) Tips

Light smoke and bits of tasty crisp in the chopped brisket sandwich, though the overall effect was somewhat neutral flavored. Pulled pork moist, though neutral flavored as well.

Liked the greens quite a bit, tender, but not broken down, with chunks of flavorful pork. Tarted up Open Pit as house sauce, I liked the sauce, but I am a fan of original Open Pit in most forms.

Greens

Best BBQ for 20-miles in any direction, sure, not destination BBQ, but worth a stop if in the area, especially if one has a high tolerance for Accent/salt/msg.

Interestingly, I was looking at the pictures of our outing to Big Daddy's and clicked on an absolutely delectable looking image of spare ribs, appearing so incredibly scrumptious I started to reevaluate my impressions. Took me a second, but I realized the spare ribs I was looking at were from Uncle John's, where we went after Big Daddy's. Mack was really on Saturday, tips, links and spare ribs, especially the spare ribs, top of his game.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #6 - January 24th, 2011, 10:56 am
    Post #6 - January 24th, 2011, 10:56 am Post #6 - January 24th, 2011, 10:56 am
    Nice photos and write up Gary, the Aquarium looks fat full oh meat!
    Love those oil drum cookers out back.
    I wonder what type of dry rub, spices or salts they use?
  • Post #7 - January 25th, 2011, 12:42 pm
    Post #7 - January 25th, 2011, 12:42 pm Post #7 - January 25th, 2011, 12:42 pm
    big daddys is a great stop , went sat. as well
    worth the trip :mrgreen:
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #8 - March 4th, 2011, 5:23 pm
    Post #8 - March 4th, 2011, 5:23 pm Post #8 - March 4th, 2011, 5:23 pm
    Stopped in for lunch today. I would say it's a step up from the Kenny's next to my house. Tips were similar, not really meaty like UJ's or Honky Tonk's. The hot link was about the same as well. I will probably go back but it's only 10 minutes from my place. I wouldn't make a special trip for it. The place was packed though.

They do Lamb on Saturday's for anyone that's interested.
  • Post #9 - March 4th, 2011, 10:35 pm
    Post #9 - March 4th, 2011, 10:35 pm Post #9 - March 4th, 2011, 10:35 pm
    HI,

Is the lamb smoked?

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #10 - March 5th, 2011, 4:17 pm
    Post #10 - March 5th, 2011, 4:17 pm Post #10 - March 5th, 2011, 4:17 pm
    You know I'm not sure. The sign said Lamb on Saturdays and I just assumed it would be smoked.
  • Post #11 - July 28th, 2013, 12:33 pm
    Post #11 - July 28th, 2013, 12:33 pm Post #11 - July 28th, 2013, 12:33 pm
    Big Daddy's BBQ Grand Opening
    6823 Grand Avenue, Hammond, IN
    12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
    South Shore CVA to end 30 Stops in 30 Days Wednesday
    HAMMOND | The 30 Stops in 30 Days Campaign ends Wednesday at the grand opening of Big Daddy's BBQ in Hammond.

The South Shore Tour Mobile has been making different stops throughout the South Shore during the campaign at restaurants, businesses, events and tourist destinations.

Wednesday's final stop is from noon to 2 p.m. at Big Daddy's BBQ, 6823 Grand Ave. in Hammond.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more