LTH Home

Attention Drunks: Cheesie’s is coming

• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Attention Drunks: Cheesie’s is coming

Post #1 - May 3rd, 2011, 10:56 am
    Post #1 - May 3rd, 2011, 10:56 am Post #1 - May 3rd, 2011, 10:56 am

As reported in TimeOut Chicago, Cheesie’s Pub & Grub, specializing in grilled cheese sandwiches, is opening on Belmont, next door to Berlin (well, isn’t that convenient!?).

Operating partner Aaron Schwartz alerts us that this kind of snack is "the perfect comfort food if you're hungover."

Cheesie’s is open until 5AM, so rather than a place for the hungover, it seems more appropriate for the actively hammered.

Nothing wrong with that. Sailing home minutes before the dawn’s early light, a little belly ballast can steady the ship.

Projected offerings are viewable online, and within the limits of the genre, they look pretty good.

My rule of thumb is to get my restaurant sandwiches grilled whenever I can. If I want something on cold bread or toast, jeez, I can make that at home, but two pieces of bread, well-griddled, with some cheese in there, that’s (a little) more work and much more tasty.

Perhaps the biggest crime against cheese is not allowing it to warm before eating. We keep cheese refrigerated, and unless we’re very forward-thinking, we tend to forget about it until we’re hungry. Then, it’s too late. If I’m planning ahead, I give cheese at least 30 minutes and preferably an hour at room temp before eating. The aromas and flavors are so much more alive when the chill is taken off the cheese. Though grilling may violate some of the delicate nuances of a cheese, it also frees up the flavor.

Cheesie’s is going to dress up the simple sandwich with things like bacon and chorizo, and it seems like the simple cheese and bread sandwich is probably going to be ordered rarely (plus, based on the gallery, Cheesie’s will also offer casseroles, lasagna and other carb+fat+protein items).

Anyway, though it seems like a one-trick pony, I like the idea of this place. I just pray I don’t ever need it at 5AM.

Cheesie’s Pub & Grub
    958 W. Belmont
    388-1574
    http://www.cheesieschicago.com/#!gallery
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #2 - October 20th, 2011, 9:07 pm
    Post #2 - October 20th, 2011, 9:07 pm Post #2 - October 20th, 2011, 9:07 pm
    Ugh. Well, I should have known better than to darken the door of a place called "Cheesies" in a neighborhood that has up and come, but we are often in the area on a weeknight with Sparky and we've been trying to branch out. Unfortunately, while the staff seems apt and the concept seems sound, I think the product requires a lot more pre-inebriation than I'm willing to support.

Sparky, I think, did the best of all of us, with the "classic" which, according to the menu has American Cheese, Merkt's Cheddar Cheese, Bacon, Tomato, and Ham, on Cheddar Cheese Texas Toast. Dip Sauce: Tomato Soup DH had the "Jalapeno Popper" - Cheddar Cheese, Cream Cheese, and Fresh Jalapeno Slices on Sourdough. Dip Sauce: Spicy Chipotle Mayo I had, after clearly missing the point (thought I was getting baguette-style sourdough,) "The Frenchie" - American Cheese, Mozzerella Cheese, Classic Thick Cut French Fries, Bacon, and Chives, on Sourdough. (I peeled the french fries off - big planks of previously-frozen sogginess.)

Texas toast is not unlike what you'd get in a Greek diner - thick bread, well buttered, seared on a flat-top; inoffensive, with slightly better texture than sandwich bread. Tomato soup "dip" was a kind of pinkish creamy spaghetti-sauce-flavored stuff. Sourdough was indistinguishable from Texas Toast except in color. DH pronounced his "a lot of bread and not a lot of stuff," with "pretty standard, probably out of a jar" mayo. For having bacon on them, neither of the adult's sandwiches had much flavor - I suppose to be expected of grilled cheese, but be forewarned that there's not enough bacon to address that if bland ain't your thing.

We also had a cup each of the tomato soup (the same as the "dip") and the french onion soup - which should go into the "Worst thing" thread. Both came in a small styro cup. French Onion soup hit all the low points for this dish: overly salty (tasted like it might once have had beefy flavor that was obfusticated by salt and toppings) and the whole bowl was filled to the brim with 1" squares of leftover Texas Toast sprinkled with shaved parmesan, which wound up making the whole thing more like Beelzebub's bread pudding than a soup. It was too salty to eat, but it did offer some much-needed salt to my sandwich after I dumped half the croutons on my tray to unearth a small patch of liquid. We all liked the sweet potato fries, crinkle-cut and crispy - not particularly sweet-potatoy, but they were tasty and perfectly acceptable for fries.

Like everywhere else in the area, prices were steep: sandwiches were just under $6 each, soup (very small cups) were IIRC just under $4, not sure what drinks and fries were, but our entire bill for 3 people, with 1 side and 1 drink per person was just over $35 before tip.
  • Post #3 - October 20th, 2011, 10:54 pm
    Post #3 - October 20th, 2011, 10:54 pm Post #3 - October 20th, 2011, 10:54 pm
    Personally, I think it's a wonderful concept. Just think of all the kitchen fires that can be avoided in Lakeview apartment kitchens if the Boystown Bar patrons get their munchies satisfies at Cheesie's versus risking passing out while waiting for grilled cheese sandwiches to cook at home. This is pure genius.
  • Post #4 - October 21st, 2011, 8:33 am
    Post #4 - October 21st, 2011, 8:33 am Post #4 - October 21st, 2011, 8:33 am
    And in that way, Will, they succeed admirably.

I spent the evening wistfully thinking of my cast-iron skillet....
  • Post #5 - May 9th, 2018, 12:35 pm
    Post #5 - May 9th, 2018, 12:35 pm Post #5 - May 9th, 2018, 12:35 pm
    Mhays wrote:Texas toast is not unlike what you'd get in a Greek diner - thick bread, well buttered, seared on a flat-top; inoffensive, with slightly better texture than sandwich bread.
    I enjoyed my sandwich at Cheesie's, liked the bread/chew. Am I going to rush back, no, but I certainly didn't think the Classic I had was bad and with a $4 pint I was pleased. Fully concur on the pink "dip/soup" whatever it is, not needed, Cheesie's should certainly take the time to cooking a good/great tomato soup.

Excellent service, sat at the bar to have dinner prior to a Cubs game.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more