LTH Home

Dante's Pizzeria

Dante's Pizzeria
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - June 13th, 2018, 8:40 pm
    Post #31 - June 13th, 2018, 8:40 pm Post #31 - June 13th, 2018, 8:40 pm
    Ideal Machine wrote:Oh, Dante's crushes Jimmy's! Everyone* agrees on this!

I most certainly do not agree, Jimmy's "crushes" Dante's by a wide margin.

I just did a back to back of Dante's Lawrence Ave and Jimmy's on Lincoln, Dante's then, about ten minutes after finishing Dante's, Jimmy's. Both sausage slices.

On every single pizza marker, except for size, Jimmy's was superior. Though, I'd bet if you weighed the two slices they would be about equal.

Jimmy's crust was crisp with depth of flavor, sausage, which is house made at Jimmy's, chunkier with ballanced flavor and texture, better quality cheese and the slice at Jimmy's was served hotter. Jimmy's sausage slice was also fifty cents less at $4.

No pictures, I must have had a smudge on my lens, and overall Dante's was not bad, just that Jimmy's was noticeably better. At least to my taste, and I'm the one making this post. :)

Jimmy's Pizza Cafe, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #32 - June 14th, 2018, 9:38 am
    Post #32 - June 14th, 2018, 9:38 am Post #32 - June 14th, 2018, 9:38 am
    Ram4 wrote:I've yet to have any New York style slices in the entire Chicago area that impress me.

Curious if you've had great NY style anywhere else? I think some of the offerings here match up decently or better than "typical" NY shops. It's comparing to the top tier that we fall short.
  • Post #33 - June 14th, 2018, 10:42 am
    Post #33 - June 14th, 2018, 10:42 am Post #33 - June 14th, 2018, 10:42 am
    Dough Bros on 400 N State is surprisingly good for NYC style pizza. I have enjoyed it both catered into the office and as a quick slice for lunch. I imagine it could be a perfect 1/2 combo with Rossi's!!!!

Chico
  • Post #34 - June 14th, 2018, 12:47 pm
    Post #34 - June 14th, 2018, 12:47 pm Post #34 - June 14th, 2018, 12:47 pm
    dudefella wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:I've yet to have any New York style slices in the entire Chicago area that impress me.

Curious if you've had great NY style anywhere else? I think some of the offerings here match up decently or better than "typical" NY shops. It's comparing to the top tier that we fall short.
    Great question. When I'm referring to slices I don't include the coal oven versions - just the gas oven "street slice" variety. First off, I've never been to NYC itself, so I have not yet had it at the source which I am fully aware of as being a must. I am not basing my local (or anywhere else but NYC) experiences on what it must be in the Big Apple itself. But an example of WTF - I had a slice at DiFara's in Caesars Palace last month. It was awful. I've had much better at Sbarro and even the Brooklyn style at Domino's. On the other hand would that deter me from visiting the location in Brooklyn? Absolutely not. I am sure DiFara's in Brooklyn is probably amazing. But we will see.

I honestly can't think of a specific version of this pizza that has made me think it was incredible (though I am sure I've had a couple around the country that I really liked - I just can't place them!). If Dante's and Jimmy's match up well against typical NY pizza joints (except the top tier) then that's a shame because I am not finding myself going out of my way to have them. I would much rather go to Vito and Nick's, Barnaby's of Northbrook, and Wells Bros (Racine) to name a few thin joints or have deep dish at Malnati's or Pequod's, or even a Detroit square style at Union Squared. I may be on the East Coast later this summer. So we shall see... :wink:

I am a fan of the Grimaldi's locations around the country that I've had. I'd go there over Dante's/Jimmy's for sure.
  • Post #35 - June 19th, 2018, 2:35 pm
    Post #35 - June 19th, 2018, 2:35 pm Post #35 - June 19th, 2018, 2:35 pm
    Personally I think Dante's is a great NYC slice of pizza in Chicago, crust is firm and crisp and the seasoning on the crust is great, the only other pizza I have found that comes close is Paulie Gee's. If you are looking for anything besides a generic Cheese topping Paulie Gee's is the place to go, the pizzas are a bit small and probably serve 1.5ppl but the quality is outstanding. Otherwise Café Luigi is my next favorite. I don't know what it is but Dough Bro's never did it for me (too greasy and floppy).
  • Post #36 - June 19th, 2018, 9:00 pm
    Post #36 - June 19th, 2018, 9:00 pm Post #36 - June 19th, 2018, 9:00 pm
    To this East Coaster, the late Santullo's in Wicker Park came closest to the pizza I grew up on in Upstate New York and to the slice shop pizza I ate when I lived in Manhattan. If Dante's pizza is anywhere nearly as good at Santullo's, then I'm a customer for life.
  • Post #37 - June 20th, 2018, 7:29 am
    Post #37 - June 20th, 2018, 7:29 am Post #37 - June 20th, 2018, 7:29 am
    I can't speak to the authenticity as I've never lived on the east coast, but what I can say is that when I put Dante's pizza in my mouth, I'm like "mmm, this tastes better than other pizza." And that's an important part of pizza, for me.

Love,
    John
    It isn't that I'm not full...
  • Post #38 - June 20th, 2018, 9:17 am
    Post #38 - June 20th, 2018, 9:17 am Post #38 - June 20th, 2018, 9:17 am
    Ideal Machine wrote:I can't speak to the authenticity as I've never lived on the east coast . . .

This is a slippery slope. Not all east coast pizza is the same. There are even substantial style differences between places that are in the same neighborhood. So, who's to say what's truly "authentic?" In some part, especially when it comes to pizza, we often gravitate to what we grew up with and we pursue that for the rest of our lives.

In Peter Reinhart's American Pie, he discusses this dynamic very eloquently.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #39 - January 15th, 2019, 9:43 am
    Post #39 - January 15th, 2019, 9:43 am Post #39 - January 15th, 2019, 9:43 am
    Forgot to post on a late night visit to the new Augusta and California location a few days before Christmas.

Went to see some jazz at the Clipper on the Thursday before Christmas after picking up the middle daughter from ORD pretty late. The girls wanted a quick snack before going home so we walked across the street to Dante's. Awesome decision for the Clipper crowd to serve slices until 2am. We had very good vegan slices and Foggy Geezer's, while sitting at the bar. Warm and cozy interior with a nice patio for warmer weather is a nice step up from their other locations.

Dante's Pizzeria
    2759 W Augusta
    Chicago, IL 60622
  • Post #40 - January 16th, 2019, 12:27 pm
    Post #40 - January 16th, 2019, 12:27 pm Post #40 - January 16th, 2019, 12:27 pm
    Nice cocktails and great cheese curds at the new location as well. Agreed that Santullo's is sorely missed - was my favorite slice in town.
  • Post #41 - January 16th, 2019, 4:04 pm
    Post #41 - January 16th, 2019, 4:04 pm Post #41 - January 16th, 2019, 4:04 pm
    Dante’s never disappoints.

Their crust is superb, with a generous cornicione. Their sauce hits the right notes of tomato-y umami balanced with acidity, without the cloying sweetness found in the sauce of other Chicagoland pizzas.

I would take their pizza over the best Chicago-style thin crust any day of the week.
  • Post #42 - April 7th, 2019, 7:23 pm
    Post #42 - April 7th, 2019, 7:23 pm Post #42 - April 7th, 2019, 7:23 pm
    Ordered a pizza to go from Dantes today and the crust had no crispness to it. Pizza tasted great but the crust made it so disappointing.

Will have to try a slice on the premises next time.
  • Post #43 - April 8th, 2019, 7:35 am
    Post #43 - April 8th, 2019, 7:35 am Post #43 - April 8th, 2019, 7:35 am
    My "pro move" at Dantes has been a quick hit on my baking steel once home or a well done request. The soggy crust thing happens to me all the time at the Armitage location
  • Post #44 - April 8th, 2019, 9:00 am
    Post #44 - April 8th, 2019, 9:00 am Post #44 - April 8th, 2019, 9:00 am
    Bspar wrote:My "pro move" at Dantes has been a quick hit on my baking steel once home or a well done request. The soggy crust thing happens to me all the time at the Armitage location

Thanks! That's good to know and annoying at the same time!
  • Post #45 - April 8th, 2019, 9:26 am
    Post #45 - April 8th, 2019, 9:26 am Post #45 - April 8th, 2019, 9:26 am
    I've only ever eaten it there. Maybe that's why I've never encountered this? Either way, I have noticed some consistency issues at the Milwaukee Avenue location over the past year. Sometimes it's great. Other times it's just ok.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #46 - May 6th, 2019, 7:29 am
    Post #46 - May 6th, 2019, 7:29 am Post #46 - May 6th, 2019, 7:29 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Ordered a pizza to go from Dantes today and the crust had no crispness to it. Pizza tasted great but the crust made it so disappointing.

I was having a discussion on a group today and they were mentioning that Chicago thin crust is too crisp to fold properly which is a necessity of style for the NY.

It's godda be limp.
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #47 - May 6th, 2019, 7:46 am
    Post #47 - May 6th, 2019, 7:46 am Post #47 - May 6th, 2019, 7:46 am
    Panther in the Den wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Ordered a pizza to go from Dantes today and the crust had no crispness to it. Pizza tasted great but the crust made it so disappointing.

I was having a discussion on a group today and they were mentioning that Chicago thin crust is too crisp to fold properly which is a necessity of style for the NY.

It's godda be limp.

The edge should still break when you fold it, it needs a crisp edge that softens as you move inward on the pie. I stopped at Gigio's on Davis in Evanston a few weeks ago and their crust is spot-on.
  • Post #48 - May 6th, 2019, 8:57 am
    Post #48 - May 6th, 2019, 8:57 am Post #48 - May 6th, 2019, 8:57 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:

It's godda be limp.

The edge should still break when you fold it, it needs a crisp edge that softens as you move inward on the pie. I stopped at Gigio's on Davis in Evanston a few weeks ago and their crust is spot-on.

Agreed. I used to always hate on NYC style pizza bc I thought the crust wasnt crisp. But when done correctly, it's that perfect valance of crispiness and foldability.
  • Post #49 - January 4th, 2021, 11:44 am
    Post #49 - January 4th, 2021, 11:44 am Post #49 - January 4th, 2021, 11:44 am
    The owners of metal-themed pizza joint Dante’s have closed their Avondale and Humboldt Park locations to make it through the coronavirus pandemic. But the New York-style pizza Dante’s is known for will still be available for pickup and delivery in the area. After shutting down the Avondale location, the owners opened an “extended pop-up” at High Dive, 1938 W. Chicago Ave., a popular West Town bar owned by Georg Simos, who is also co-owner of Dante’s.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/01/04 ... -are-open/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more