LTH Home

Munch, Oak Park

Munch, Oak Park
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Munch, Oak Park

Post #1 - September 10th, 2011, 2:50 pm
    Post #1 - September 10th, 2011, 2:50 pm Post #1 - September 10th, 2011, 2:50 pm
    Munch, Oak Park

When Sage O’Harrow was about two years old, her mother Robin brought her over to our house to have dinner with us and some other friends. Robin had raised her child to be a vegetarian out of moral concerns about the way animals are raised in the United States. Sage had never seen a pepperoni, which I put out as part of an antipasti tray at many family gatherings. She tried some, and then some more, and then a lot. After about half an hour, Sage had eaten a huge amount of the sausage – so huge that fourteen or so years later, I still remember her incredible feat.

I ran into Sage today at her mother, Robin's, vegetarian-focused restaurant, Munch, on Marion Street in Oak Park. Sage is still a vegetarian, though neither she nor her mother are doctrinaire in their personal lives, and their preference for vegetables is more motivated by morality than taste preference.

Here’s Sage remembering how much she liked the sausage; she recalled the event, perhaps because it's one of the few times in her life (and maybe the first time in her life) that she had meat.

We were told that the most popular item on the menu is the bean burger, so I had one of those with “bacon.” I am philosophically opposed to foods that masquerade as something they are not, and the bacon here is made of seitan, but I found it tasty, and actually quite pork-like, though it is nowhere near as attractive or as delicious as a fried slice of pig belly.

The burger was soft, lightly spiced, and satisfying – I had just had a hamburger last night at Silverado in Elmhurst, and I have to admit that I prefer meat, but on a warm day, or if you’re trying to avoid eating animal for moral or health reasons, it’s a worthy alternative.

As we left, I asked Sage if she’d ever eat a pepperoni again. She said she probably would.

Munch
    104 N. Marion St
    Oak Park
    708-848-4226
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #2 - September 11th, 2011, 2:11 pm
    Post #2 - September 11th, 2011, 2:11 pm Post #2 - September 11th, 2011, 2:11 pm
    I have been to Munch twice. I really enjoyed the bean burger as well. I have liked everything I have eaten there. Generally, I consider myself more of a carnivore. When I am looking for something a little healthier than the food I usually eat when I go out, this is my go to vegetarian place.
  • Post #3 - September 15th, 2011, 7:40 pm
    Post #3 - September 15th, 2011, 7:40 pm Post #3 - September 15th, 2011, 7:40 pm
    My wife and I had dinner there tonight and it was delicious.

Black Bean Burger with Seitan Bacon and Jack Cheese - awesome. Why have a hamburger made out of a cow when you can eat this? I cannot wait to go back for another one. Roasted herb potatoes on the side were good.

Nachos - Probably the best I have ever had. Really. Fresh, delicious. Good chips.

Chopped Quinoa Salad - Fresh tasting, flavorful with a little bite from the lime chipotle dressing

The cheesecake was great too.

We will definitely be going back.
  • Post #4 - March 17th, 2018, 11:12 am
    Post #4 - March 17th, 2018, 11:12 am Post #4 - March 17th, 2018, 11:12 am
    A very nice time last night. Had not known about Munch, but received a gift card at Christmas.

Began with a delicious cabbage/leek/potato/carrot soup. Our super friendly server, Jennifer, brought the generous sized bowl of soup out as a first course, since my wife and I were sharing. This never happens anymore.

Next was a very good polenta with mushrooms and greens.

We had the comforting vegan lasagna and the special of shepherd's pie, which was a bit unusual to have with a marinara on the side. Our sides were a generous kale side salad, perfectly roasted mix vegetables, and a bowl of cold, roasted beets.

Also shared the large brownie al a mode.

AND to top off the excellent dinner and service, BYOB!!!

We will be return soon.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more