LTH Home

Late night Pizza at Fireside

Late night Pizza at Fireside
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Late night Pizza at Fireside

Post #1 - December 21st, 2011, 6:37 pm
    Post #1 - December 21st, 2011, 6:37 pm Post #1 - December 21st, 2011, 6:37 pm
    The other night I stopped by the Fireside (after midnight) with a friend for one last pint on the way home (I had a Daisy Cutter and he had a Sheetmetal both on tap). We decided to split a pizza (more as a suds sponge than anything). I always found the pizza at Fireside to be OK, but nothing special. That night though, the pie was superb. It was of the super crackly cracker crust style, very reminiscent of Candlelite at its height. The sauce was slightly sweet, but the heat of the Andouille sausage complemented it well. The ratio of cheese was just right and of high quality, but it was the crunchy crust that really made the pizza special. Even at the very center, it didn't lose its crunchiness. Anyhow, if super crispy tavern style pizza is your thing, Fireside is worth checking out. Of course, this is based on a single experience. In the past, I have found their pizza to be just so-so, but that night, it was destination worthy. I don't know if they changed their recipe, or we just lucked out. And of course, the spicy Cajun sausage was a new topping treat for both of us. We also tried their red-pepper hummus, which was pretty darn tasty. The kitchen is open until 3am, the beer selection is extensive and the covered patio is roomy and pleasant, so it is a great stop for "just one more".

FIRESIDE RESTAURANT
    5739 N Ravenswood
    Chicago, IL. 60640
    (773) 561-7433.
  • Post #2 - December 22nd, 2011, 2:25 pm
    Post #2 - December 22nd, 2011, 2:25 pm Post #2 - December 22nd, 2011, 2:25 pm
    Have not been to Fireside in quite a number of years but my father used to occasionally take us in the mid 90s and I always thought their pizza was very good. One of my favorite things was always the atmosphere. Been wanting to go back again and take my husband these last couple of years because I have not been since college, but I have had no idea as to what the pizza may taste like these days because so many places that used to be great have dminished in quality or perhaps my taste just got way better. This review helps alot. Perhaps a late night rendevous that way when it gets warm again is long overdue.
  • Post #3 - December 22nd, 2011, 3:15 pm
    Post #3 - December 22nd, 2011, 3:15 pm Post #3 - December 22nd, 2011, 3:15 pm
    The "patio" is more like a giant canvas tent with brick walls and tables on wooden decks on different levels. It is heated, so it is open year round. It is a friendly place, and I always thought the atmosphere trumped the food, but I was pretty impressed with the last pizza I had there. I also once had a blue cheese and steak salad, I thought was pretty good. They also do a decent bacon wrapped filet, which was once one of the best steak deals in town (and really hit the spot in the wee hours), however, I think they caught on and raised the price from $17.95 to $23.95. The blackened catfish sandwich is another menu specialty worth investigating.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more