LTH Home

Moderno - Highland Park coming in May

Moderno - Highland Park coming in May
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • - December 19th, 2012, 11:44 am
    - December 19th, 2012, 11:44 am Post #31 - December 19th, 2012, 11:44 am
    Hi,

A restaurant needs to please 80% of the people who walk in the door. The LTHforum audience often reflects the other 20% and maybe something considerably smaller.

There was a core group of suburban foodies like you and me who liked the place, but the average Highland Park diner just couldn't get past the unusual. As Chef Desrosiers said to me, not only did they have to translate the names of the pasta shapes ("Farfalle - bowtie"), diners would actually display negative emotions of frustration and anger at the fact that they weren't familiar with "strangozzi."

There is always someone who is unhappy, though I doubt the majority who walked in would be intimidated. It is human nature to remember the worst. I don't doubt it happened at least once, it is a great war story, though portraying it as a typical customer behavior I don't accept.

Frankly, I would have needed an explanation of strangozzi, too. Google translator didn't offer a hint. Food and Wine magazine did: "Strangozzi is Spoleto’s traditional long and irregularly hand-cut pasta. Strangozi means “strangled priests,” and the pasta clearly dates from the region’s rebellion against papal domination in the 14th century. Spoletina sauce is a peppery tomato sauce made from southern Italian peppers and parsley." I would hope any waiter would be pleased to fulfill my curiosity.

Moderno is reconcepting to something else, we will see if that works. They need all the good will they can muster to get people to try it again.

**I am sure Stash's blamed their original location for their business issues. However, RUB has done very, very well in their old space. When Stashes abruptly closed and behaved a bit crooked when they expired. I am sure they blamed their Highland Park clients, though failing to recognize their role. It is human nature.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more