LTH Home

Scofflaw

Scofflaw
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - January 17th, 2013, 2:11 pm
    Post #61 - January 17th, 2013, 2:11 pm Post #61 - January 17th, 2013, 2:11 pm
    I owe a belated thanks for the tip: chicken night at Scofflaw was great. A tasty dinner for four plus 13 drinks (and an extra dessert) between us? Around $160. I can think of a few places where drinks alone would hit that total. For a place off the (our) beaten path, Scofflaw made a fan of all of us.
  • Post #62 - January 17th, 2013, 2:41 pm
    Post #62 - January 17th, 2013, 2:41 pm Post #62 - January 17th, 2013, 2:41 pm
    Vitesse98 wrote:I owe a belated thanks for the tip: chicken night at Scofflaw was great. A tasty dinner for four plus 13 drinks (and an extra dessert) between us? Around $160. I can think of a few places where drinks alone would hit that total. For a place off the (our) beaten path, Scofflaw made a fan of all of us.

I'm going to have to try this out. I really love Mickey's food and I've never had the chicken.

Other posts about Scofflaw's food (upthread), your post, and a PM we received from a concerned member the other day, have prompted us Mods to believe that this thread is probably better located in the Eating Out In Chicagoland forum, so we're going to move it there now.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the moderators
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #63 - February 7th, 2013, 4:59 pm
    Post #63 - February 7th, 2013, 4:59 pm Post #63 - February 7th, 2013, 4:59 pm
    per a phone call to Scofflaw:

They are now offering a Sunday blue plate special in place of the former winner, winner chicken dinner special. I believe they post the blue plate special on their facebook page.
  • Post #64 - March 5th, 2013, 11:30 am
    Post #64 - March 5th, 2013, 11:30 am Post #64 - March 5th, 2013, 11:30 am
    I apologize for missing the GNR discussion period, but I had a cocktail at Scofflaw over a week ago that I just cannot get out of my mind. I’m hoping an effusive post will relieve me of my burden. :wink:

I asked for a refreshing cocktail with mezcal, and Griffin delivered. The ingredients were:
    Mezcal
    Gin (I think it was the Scofflaw branded Old Tom)
    Raspberry syrup
    Lime
    Soda
    Mint sprig

Simple enough. However, the idea that mezcal and gin would ever go together kind of blew my mind. This drink had every kind of contrast – smokey, sweet, herby, botanical, with citrus bite and soda prickles – but was remarkably well-rounded and certainly refreshing. I am a sucker for citrusy drinks anyway (I’ve never met a margarita I didn’t like), and I’m not too keen on anything overly sweet. Even Laikom took a sip and instantly christened the drink a “Teresa.” Outwardly pink and feminine, but with a smokey undertone lending some gravitas. I dig it.

I have to give special props to Griffin, who took precious minutes out of a manic Saturday night of slinging PBRs and Malort shots to explain the drink to me and answer my questions. To get this quality and attention at a bar’s busiest hour speaks volumes about Scofflaw’s commitment to excellence.

So there is a snowstorm swirling outside – anybody up for a drink later?

Teresa
    The meal isn't over when I'm full; the meal is over when I hate myself. - Louis C.K.
  • Post #65 - April 15th, 2013, 12:16 pm
    Post #65 - April 15th, 2013, 12:16 pm Post #65 - April 15th, 2013, 12:16 pm
    Just a quick note since we stopped by Scofflaw last night. They no longer have their carne en su jugo. Grrr. That was the sole point of our visit. Oh well, drinks were good, and the guapichosa was delicious, however the pork loin (my gf also got the pork loin sandwich), was "off". Had that taste like it was a couple days old and reheated.
    www.justnoms.com
    Rate the Food, Not the Restaurant
    @justnoms_com
  • Post #66 - November 4th, 2013, 8:25 pm
    Post #66 - November 4th, 2013, 8:25 pm Post #66 - November 4th, 2013, 8:25 pm
    I visited my friends at Scofflaw recently for my first brunch foray there. It will not be my last. Everything we had was stellar . . .

Red Snapper - gin, tomato, spice, meat & cheese garnish (and cornichon)
    I just loved the spicy heat of this cocktail. It made most sangritas seem tame by comparison.

Bellini - passion fruit, Segura Viudas cava
    The wife ordered this and enjoyed it

Migas - eggs, jalapeno, pico de gallo, tortilla, bacon, avocado, cilantro, crema
    I thought it was excellent. It kind of reminded me of chilaquiles but with bolder flavors and a lot more zip.

Vegetable Hash - seasonal vegetables, potatoes, onions, egg
    Another winning dish. Ultra-comforting breakfast food.

Frites - pimenton aioli
    For my money, these remain the very best fries in the city. They're crispy on the outside, pillowly on the inside and perfectly salted. Even though it's wonderful, I didn't even touch the aioli -- that's how terrific the flavor of these fries is.

=R=
  • Post #67 - November 4th, 2013, 8:57 pm
    Post #67 - November 4th, 2013, 8:57 pm Post #67 - November 4th, 2013, 8:57 pm
    Ha, I was just talking about going here for the fries as much as the cocktails...almost. :)
  • Post #68 - November 5th, 2013, 8:24 am
    Post #68 - November 5th, 2013, 8:24 am Post #68 - November 5th, 2013, 8:24 am
    I agree the brunch is fantastic. I've been meaning to post that they keep firing on all cylinders. Mickey has really been doing an excellent job with the food and I love everything I've had on the most recent menu. Plus I know he has some more changes coming (return of PESJ!)
  • Post #69 - August 15th, 2014, 10:02 am
    Post #69 - August 15th, 2014, 10:02 am Post #69 - August 15th, 2014, 10:02 am
    Recently, I've been taking my sheltered Evanstonian friend around town to show him what he has been missing out on. Before our dinner, I suggested we make a quick stop at Scofflaw.

I was told by Doug that this was a relatively new menu

Red Deer Bonded Bourbon, Blackstrap Rum, Plaintain Tepache, Fernet, Mint

Frites fried potato, pimento aioli
    I'll have to agree with Ronnie here -- these are the best fries in the city. Although we had a large meal planned ahead of us, I told my friend we had to partake in an order of these.

Hanging Moon Rye Whiskey, Blackberry Liqueur, Lemon, Mango Syrup, Tiki Bitters

Swizzle Eight Jamaican Rum, Lime, Raspberry Syrup, Falernum

Feat of Strength Mezcal, Tequila, Ancho Reyes, Tamarind Syrup, Lime, Mole Bitters
    equal parts mezcal and tequila in this smoky, hot delicious drink.

Pilar London Dry Gin, Campari, Maraschino, Passion Fruit, Lime

Happy to say, my buddy was quite smitten with Scofflaw by the time we paid our bill.

Another knock out of the park.
  • Post #70 - August 15th, 2014, 11:24 am
    Post #70 - August 15th, 2014, 11:24 am Post #70 - August 15th, 2014, 11:24 am
    I went by Scofflaw last night, as well. Not only are Doug and Meghan doing a fantastic job running the bar but Mickey has really stepped up his game food-wise. I tried a couple of dishes last night and they were all great. Especially of note was the bone marrow and the cauliflower.
  • Post #71 - October 7th, 2014, 11:19 am
    Post #71 - October 7th, 2014, 11:19 am Post #71 - October 7th, 2014, 11:19 am
    Happened by Scofflaw last night on my way to dinner and was thrilled to learn that Chef Mickey Neely has updated the menu. We tried 2 of the new items, both of which were absolutely sensational . . .

'Surf & Turf'
    Braised Tongue and Grilled Octopus with potatoes and olives

Pork Sausage Crepinette
    Cabbage, Caul Fat, Reduced Tomato

Both dishes were magnificent. We didn't try the house-made burrata. Next time for sure. I just cannot get over the level of food coming out of this kitchen. Amazing stuff!

=R=
  • Post #72 - November 24th, 2014, 11:17 pm
    Post #72 - November 24th, 2014, 11:17 pm Post #72 - November 24th, 2014, 11:17 pm
    Was at Scofflaw yesterday on the bittersweet occasion of my friend Chef Mickey Neely's last day there. He's heading to Europe for a few months to travel and stage at some very cool places. For his last hurrah, he threw down quite a brunch, including this bad boy . . .

Sticky Bun | pecan, caramel

There were some other great items, too. I'll try to post pics of them in the next couple of days.

=R=
  • Post #73 - November 25th, 2014, 2:41 pm
    Post #73 - November 25th, 2014, 2:41 pm Post #73 - November 25th, 2014, 2:41 pm
    More from Mickey Neely's final brunch at the helm of Scofflaw's kitchen . . .

Red Snapper
    Super spicy breakfast cocktail with some very tasty garnish

The Reggie Deluxe | fried chicken, biscuit, sausage gravy, bacon, cheese, fried egg
    Mickey's homage to a dish of the same name served at Pine State Biscuits in Portland, OR. This picture really speaks for itself . . . and then some.

Puerco Guisado | stewed pork shoulder, poblano cornbread french toast, lime crema, onion, cilantro, poached egg
    Oh yeah!

Just a great way to send our friend off. We're really going to miss him.

=R=
  • Post #74 - November 25th, 2014, 4:00 pm
    Post #74 - November 25th, 2014, 4:00 pm Post #74 - November 25th, 2014, 4:00 pm
    That looks so good - now I am so regretting not having eaten there when he was cooking!

I did just see a tweet mentioning Scofflaw opening a tiki bar - any news on that anyone?
  • Post #75 - November 25th, 2014, 4:34 pm
    Post #75 - November 25th, 2014, 4:34 pm Post #75 - November 25th, 2014, 4:34 pm
    That cheese looks suspiciously like a fried egg.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #76 - November 25th, 2014, 10:57 pm
    Post #76 - November 25th, 2014, 10:57 pm Post #76 - November 25th, 2014, 10:57 pm
    Katie wrote:That cheese looks suspiciously like a fried egg.

Hope I didn't confuse you by inadvertantly leaving that detail out. I've edited my post.

Thanks,

=R=
  • Post #77 - November 26th, 2014, 12:21 pm
    Post #77 - November 26th, 2014, 12:21 pm Post #77 - November 26th, 2014, 12:21 pm
    Just teasing, Ronnie, but I was a bit confused because I saw the egg but didn't see any cheese.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #78 - November 26th, 2014, 12:24 pm
    Post #78 - November 26th, 2014, 12:24 pm Post #78 - November 26th, 2014, 12:24 pm
    Katie wrote:Just teasing, Ronnie, but I was a bit confused because I saw the egg but didn't see any cheese.

No worries. I can see where it might have been confusing because the cheese really isn't visible in the shot.

=R=
  • Post #79 - November 26th, 2014, 12:33 pm
    Post #79 - November 26th, 2014, 12:33 pm Post #79 - November 26th, 2014, 12:33 pm
    Siun wrote:That looks so good - now I am so regretting not having eaten there when he was cooking!

I'm guessing things will continue seamlessly for quite some time, though Mickey will be missed. Sue, formerly the Sous, has taken over the kitchen, so there should be some good continuity. For now, the menu remains largely the same and the one dish Sue added that I tried (on a day when I didn't have my camera), a savory, vegetable and cheese crostada, was delicious.

=R=
  • Post #80 - November 27th, 2014, 10:38 pm
    Post #80 - November 27th, 2014, 10:38 pm Post #80 - November 27th, 2014, 10:38 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote: Sue, formerly the Sous, ...

This promotion strikes a blow for the forces of culinary nominative determinism in Chicago. At least we still have Dave and Megan Miller doing their thing.
  • Post #81 - November 28th, 2014, 6:56 pm
    Post #81 - November 28th, 2014, 6:56 pm Post #81 - November 28th, 2014, 6:56 pm
    Matt wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote: Sue, the Sous, ...

No relation to Siouxsie Sioux ...
    fine words butter no parsnips
  • Post #82 - November 28th, 2014, 9:05 pm
    Post #82 - November 28th, 2014, 9:05 pm Post #82 - November 28th, 2014, 9:05 pm
    Roger Ramjet wrote:
    Matt wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote: Sue, the Sous, ...

No relation to Siouxsie Sioux ...

. . . or the Banshees. :P

=R=
  • Post #83 - April 10th, 2015, 3:20 pm
    Post #83 - April 10th, 2015, 3:20 pm Post #83 - April 10th, 2015, 3:20 pm
    A friend and I headed for Scofflaw a couple of days ago -- but my only knowledge of the place was an article stating that their new chef and created a toasted cheese sandwich that used Vegemite. So my Vegemite-loving buddy suggested we check it out. I was disappointed to discover that the Vegemite and cheese sandwich is only served for dinner, but our waitress said there was an "off menu" sandwich she could bring us with hamburger, avocado, bacon, and Vegemite. It was almost double the price of the cheese sandwich, but we'd driven so far, we figured we had to try it. Definitely an umami hit of the first order.

The food part of the menu was sparse (I didn't know it was primarily a bar), but the offerings are interesting, and I noticed other dishes going by, and generally (other than a sandwich) the plating is dramatic and appealing.

So a fun place to dine even if you're not going for the booze. Though I suspect that late morning/early afternoon is your best option if you're not going to be drinking. I'm betting it's jumping in the evening.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #84 - May 6th, 2015, 4:10 pm
    Post #84 - May 6th, 2015, 4:10 pm Post #84 - May 6th, 2015, 4:10 pm
    New cocktail menu debuting today . . .

=R=
    1430950156912.jpg
  • Post #85 - May 6th, 2015, 4:23 pm
    Post #85 - May 6th, 2015, 4:23 pm Post #85 - May 6th, 2015, 4:23 pm
    It was swell to see Scofflaw (and Analogue and Sportsman's and Maria's and some other non-national board favorites) called out in the (somewhat) recent GQ bit proclaiming Chicago to be the best drinking town in the US bay a long shot. I wonder what this has meant for Scofflaw (and the others) so far...
  • Post #86 - March 17th, 2020, 4:13 pm
    Post #86 - March 17th, 2020, 4:13 pm Post #86 - March 17th, 2020, 4:13 pm
    As I mentioned on another thread, Scofflaw has set up a GoFundMe campaign to benefit its employees . . .

at GoFundMe, Scofflaw Group wrote:With the forced closure of our businesses, we are looking for help and support from you: our community. The funds raised here will go directly to our employees at Scofflaw, Slippery Slope, The Heavy Feather, The Moonlighter, and Outside Voices; many of them may not be able to weather this storm. Anything you can contribute is much appreciated and we look forward to serving you again shortly.

You can make a donation here: Scofflaw Group Employee Fund.

=R=
  • Post #87 - November 11th, 2020, 11:48 am
    Post #87 - November 11th, 2020, 11:48 am Post #87 - November 11th, 2020, 11:48 am
    Hibernating for the winter. Hope to see them on the other side. :(

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/11/10 ... le-future/
    -Mary
  • Post #88 - March 13th, 2022, 11:08 pm
    Post #88 - March 13th, 2022, 11:08 pm Post #88 - March 13th, 2022, 11:08 pm
    As some of my friends like to say, "what a long, strange trip it's been." Today Scofflaw celebrated its 10th anniversary. I think that's actually about 100 in bar years. They opened a bit early, around 3pm. From there, a progression of alumni bartenders teamed up for 1-hour shifts behind the bar with the everyday team. In addition to classic, off-menu libations, a tried & true anniversary cocktail menu was offered. It featured previous Scofflaw favorites, as chosen by the returning bartenders. It was an impressive list of alums: co-owner Danny Shapiro, Griffin Elliott, Keith Meicher, Luke DeYoung, Meghan Konecny, Rory Toolan and Doug Phillips.

Needless to say, the occasion -- plus the beautiful weather -- drew quite a crowd. We got there right at the open and stayed for a few hours. It was great to see so many familiar, friendly faces on both side of the bar! As always, the beverages and the food were outstanding. Here are a few shots . . .

Co-Owner/Guest Bartender Danny Shapiro
    Putting the finishing touches on a Temple Destroyer (gin, kiwidita, kina l'aero, lime, mint).

Scofflaw Burger - double stacked, american cheese, griddled onions, dill pickle, house sauce, buttery bun

Fried Hon Shimeji & Oyster Mushrooms - calabrian pepper jelly, champagne agave vinaigrette

Pho Beef Pierogi - vietnamese style pesto, pickled fresno peppers

Congrats, Scofflaw. Here's to the next 10 years! :)

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more