LTH Home

Parky’s, Forest Park

Parky’s, Forest Park
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Parky’s, Forest Park

Post #1 - April 19th, 2012, 9:22 am
    Post #1 - April 19th, 2012, 9:22 am Post #1 - April 19th, 2012, 9:22 am
    Parky’s, Forest Park

I remember stopping at Parky’s around 1978. I was living in the city, and my cousin and I drove out to Berwyn to help an old Bohemian aunt move out of her two-flat. My cousin used to live in Berwyn, and he demanded that we stop at Parky’s, a place I’d never heard of before. The place seemed retro even at the time: the kind of sloped roof reflecting an Eisenhower era sense of what the future would be like (clean and sweeping lines, bright colors, lights), but inside, kind of dingy, utilitarian…and maybe a little greasy (like someone lightly sprayed the interior with a patina of Pam).

I had my first Parky’s dog that day, and although I’ve visited randomly over the years, I have always felt it a guilty pleasure, with guilt taking the slight advantage, so I’ve never gone often.

Yesterday, it was bright and sunny and I thought, “Excellent hot dog weather.” I biked over to Parky’s.

A smile was hard to suppress when the counterwoman asked me, with genuine concern, if I wanted salt on my fries. I mean really, if you have a problem with sodium, or fat, or carbs, or calories, you shouldn’t be even walking by Parky’s: you’d overdose on those evil things on vibe alone.

It’s a very good sign when the bag of fries cannot contain the grease they’re were cooked in. Parky’s, since the first day I visited, has always been generous with fries, and you can see how wonderfully fatty they are by the “grease signature” on the bag (am I the first to coin that phrase; the language needs a way to describe that mouth-watering sign of deliciousness).

The dog is pretty much classic. Not the stripped-down Depression era wiener of Gene’s and Jude’s, and not the kind of fully dressed wiener you might find elsewhere at fancier dog shacks. Condiments are fresh onions, relish (though not of the radioactive blue-green variety), sport peppers, tomato with celery salt, and mustard.

Parky’s used to have another location on Roosevelt, and like this one, it was connected to a house (would love to know if that was happenstance, or if the original Mr. Parky’s business model was built around the breakthrough concept of a dog stand with annexed living quarters, the better to accommodate around-the-clock dog tenders).

I would have preferred a little snap in the dog, a fluffier bun, etc., but so what? For about $3.25, I got a dog with everything and fries, ate it streetside beneath a spreading tree and the upward thrust of the Parky’s roof, beside the sign with the hand holding a naked dog, pinky finger cocked in faux elegance.

Though maybe not the most sterling exemplar of the Chicago dog, and still a little funky around the edges, I’m very glad Parky's is still there.

Parky’s
    329 Harlem Avenue Forest Park, IL 60130
    (708) 366-3090
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #2 - April 19th, 2012, 10:14 am
    Post #2 - April 19th, 2012, 10:14 am Post #2 - April 19th, 2012, 10:14 am
    The Parky's that I remember from the late 70's was located on the Berwyn side (south) of Roosevelt Road between Harlem and Oak Park avenue. A recent trip to Fitzgeralds showed that location doesn't appear to be there anymore... But I ate many Dogs and Fries from the Berwyn Parky's...
  • Post #3 - April 19th, 2012, 10:35 am
    Post #3 - April 19th, 2012, 10:35 am Post #3 - April 19th, 2012, 10:35 am
    I've long been a fan of the grease-in-a-bag disguised as Parky's fries. Never cared much for their dogs, though.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #4 - April 19th, 2012, 10:41 am
    Post #4 - April 19th, 2012, 10:41 am Post #4 - April 19th, 2012, 10:41 am
    stevez wrote:I've long been a fan of the grease-in-a-bag disguised as Parky's fries. Never cared much for their dogs, though.

Can't imagine why not given how appetizing that tomato looks. :wink:
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #5 - April 19th, 2012, 11:00 am
    Post #5 - April 19th, 2012, 11:00 am Post #5 - April 19th, 2012, 11:00 am
    jesteinf wrote:
    stevez wrote:I've long been a fan of the grease-in-a-bag disguised as Parky's fries. Never cared much for their dogs, though.

Can't imagine why not given how appetizing that tomato looks. :wink:

You know, appearances aside, that was not the worst tomato I've had this month (celery salt helps a lot). But, you know, what the hell can one expect? It's Parky's!
  • Post #6 - April 19th, 2012, 1:08 pm
    Post #6 - April 19th, 2012, 1:08 pm Post #6 - April 19th, 2012, 1:08 pm
    I have been enjoying Parky's dogs and fries for since the original store operated on Roosevelt in the 1950's. I wouldn't claim that they are the best dogs served, but, like another local institution, Russell's BBQ, lifelong memories of enjoying meals with long gone family and friends makes the stops at these places special. And the last Roosevelt Parky's is at around 7000 west. It kinda looks like the Harlem store. It houses an ever rotating- owner Mexican restaurant.
  • Post #7 - April 19th, 2012, 8:12 pm
    Post #7 - April 19th, 2012, 8:12 pm Post #7 - April 19th, 2012, 8:12 pm
    Can't imagine why not given how appetizing that tomato looks.

That tomato slice looks like a late summer heirloom compared to the dismal ones on the food I had at Pita Inn the other day. I know it's not tomato season but I see much better tomatoes at Jewel or Dominick's than the ones I'm sometimes served at restaurants. I will also chime in that Parky's is not the best dog out there but it has a special nostalgia for a lot of people from the area. I agree with the Russell's being in the same vein. Most people who didn't grow up with it think it's awful but those who did cherish the times they had there and appreciate the food for what it is.
  • Post #8 - April 19th, 2012, 9:20 pm
    Post #8 - April 19th, 2012, 9:20 pm Post #8 - April 19th, 2012, 9:20 pm
    David Hammond wrote:Parky’s, Forest Park

... so I’ve never gone often.

Have you often not gone at all? Or sometimes occasionally? :twisted:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    "Good stuff, Maynard." Dobie Gillis
  • Post #9 - April 19th, 2012, 9:24 pm
    Post #9 - April 19th, 2012, 9:24 pm Post #9 - April 19th, 2012, 9:24 pm
    imsscott wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:Parky’s, Forest Park

... so I’ve never gone often.

Have you often not gone at all? Or sometimes occasionally? :twisted:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Often (actually more than most of the time), I've not gone. I do go, occasionally. :wink:
  • Post #10 - August 23rd, 2017, 3:06 pm
    Post #10 - August 23rd, 2017, 3:06 pm Post #10 - August 23rd, 2017, 3:06 pm
    They still deliver. Garden fresh tomatoes for a limited time. :)

IMG_1564.JPG
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #11 - September 2nd, 2017, 11:05 pm
    Post #11 - September 2nd, 2017, 11:05 pm Post #11 - September 2nd, 2017, 11:05 pm
    This is the alternative to the over-priced (close to hostage pricing) food trucks that arrive at craftbeer festivals in Oak Park @ North Blvd. & Marion St. like Oaktoberfest. :)
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more