LTH Home

What's the Best Sandwich in Chicago?

What's the Best Sandwich in Chicago?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 8 
  • Post #211 - December 7th, 2018, 2:15 am
    Post #211 - December 7th, 2018, 2:15 am Post #211 - December 7th, 2018, 2:15 am
    Jefe wrote:soak that thing in hot nduja oil!

~Eyes get wide~
    Looks for car keys
    Realizes Tempesta is not open at the moment
    Checks web site for time they open!

Tempesta Market
    1372 W Grand Ave
    Chicago, IL 60642
    312-929-2551
    http://tempestamarket.com/
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #212 - December 7th, 2018, 8:43 am
    Post #212 - December 7th, 2018, 8:43 am Post #212 - December 7th, 2018, 8:43 am
    I'd like to nominate the "Secret Sandwich" from Danke at Revival Food Hall.

Secret Sandwich
    Duck Liver Mousse, Pork Belly, Emmental Cheese,
    Smoked Pickled Onion, Whole Grain Mustard
    on House Baguette (bread here is amazing)

For TWDK (I just made up that acronym, FIO), this joint is from the folks at Table, Donkey, & Stick - who also have a fantastic bread program. The baguettes are baked fresh daily in the pizza ovens a la Union pizzeria...

The sandwich was previously a "secret" family meal they prepared at TDS..

(pic from insta - I will now take my own pic as i dream of this sandwich)

:P :P
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://www.bbqsupply.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #213 - December 7th, 2018, 8:54 am
    Post #213 - December 7th, 2018, 8:54 am Post #213 - December 7th, 2018, 8:54 am
    rubbbqco wrote:I'd like to nominate the "Secret Sandwich" from Danke at Revival Food Hall.

Great sandwich!

I guess if I'm nominating for realsies, you can't f*ck with the combo at Johnnie's.
    And in the same breath have to rep beef with hot mix at Pop's (127th St.)

JPG has to be in the mix, I'm pretty partial to their rendition of the Will, but classic Ital & Mr. G close competitors.

One sandwich I eat more than most is the Pepito at Tortas Frontera.

And new school nods to this here Secret Sandwich and aforementioned Dante.
  • Post #214 - December 7th, 2018, 10:42 am
    Post #214 - December 7th, 2018, 10:42 am Post #214 - December 7th, 2018, 10:42 am
    Ok I'll play. Pretty confident that if you asked everyone to gather a list of their five favorite sandwiches in the city no two would be the same. I consider Chicago one of the world's great sandwich cities with the likes of Philadelphia, Montreal, Porto, Hoi An, and Miami. I'm sure there's plenty more worthy spots but those are the cities that I've been to or am going to that have an insane sandwich culture. I spent the last week thinking about my top 5. Some were named as soon as I started thinking while a couple others took a few days to arrive in my mind. Without further ado.

Combo at Johnnie's Beef (sweet/hot) - I decided this past summer that my funeral just will be a procession of cars down North avenue to Johnnie's Beef where everyone will eat combos and lemon ices.

Shish Kebab Sandwich at Mr. D's - You better believe what I consider to be the best fries in the city are part of the sandwich. They do come with it. The key sandwich ingredient in my mind is the spoonful of beef gravy that goes on the bread. Ask for extra.

Italian Sub at J.P Graziano's - It's between this Chicago classic and a neighborhood deli in Philly for where I've found the best cold cut sandwich in America. Unfortunately bc of the location (I'm rarely over there) this is the one I get to enjoy the least. But when I do get to go it's always perfection.

#1 at Nhu Lan Bakery - In what's something of a rarity I actually prefer the newer location to the older one. Man that #1 is one of the freshest sandwiches in the city Everything about it is perfect from the hearty Viet deli meats to the crisp vegetables and the bread that's so crispy your finger and thumb prints become indented in it.

Steak Sandwich with Cheese at Bia's Cafe Marianao - It doesn't get the love of Italian Beef or Jibarito do but the Cuban steak sandwich is a signature Chicago sandwich. Logan Square to be exact. Lot's of spots makes these and while the original is gone this newer spot from the founders nephew is even better than the original in terms of the sandwich itself. The secret being the mojo sauce.

Note: This is in no order in particular. The best is the most recent one I enjoyed. Happy Holidaze.
  • Post #215 - December 7th, 2018, 3:19 pm
    Post #215 - December 7th, 2018, 3:19 pm Post #215 - December 7th, 2018, 3:19 pm
    Best sandwich I've eaten in a long time is the carne asada pambazo @ El Habanero. Reminds me of a Mexican Al's.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #216 - December 7th, 2018, 3:24 pm
    Post #216 - December 7th, 2018, 3:24 pm Post #216 - December 7th, 2018, 3:24 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Best sandwich I've eaten in a long time is the carne asada pambazo @ El Habanero. Reminds me of a Mexican Al's.

Yes!

Asada Pambazo @ El Habanero

El Habanero
    3300 W Fullerton Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 227-9225

=R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #217 - December 8th, 2018, 8:47 am
    Post #217 - December 8th, 2018, 8:47 am Post #217 - December 8th, 2018, 8:47 am
    A sandwich that always makes me happy is the Cubana Torta at Frontera Fresco attached to Macy's in Old Orchard. From Rick's menu: Smoked pork loin, bacon, artisan Jack cheese, black beans, cilantro, crema, chipotle mustard, chipotle chile, avocado. It is served on a grilled pannini type bread.
  • Post #218 - December 9th, 2018, 1:22 am
    Post #218 - December 9th, 2018, 1:22 am Post #218 - December 9th, 2018, 1:22 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Jazzfood wrote:Best sandwich I've eaten in a long time is the carne asada pambazo @ El Habanero. Reminds me of a Mexican Al's.

Yes!

El Habanero
    3300 W Fullerton Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 227-9225

=R=

At the proprietor’s recommendation, I tried the al pastor pambazo. It’s even better than the carne asada iteration.
  • Post #219 - December 9th, 2018, 1:49 pm
    Post #219 - December 9th, 2018, 1:49 pm Post #219 - December 9th, 2018, 1:49 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Could it be the Dante at Tempesta Market?

The Dante
    Hot Soppressata, Mortadella, Finnochinoa, Hot Coppa, Porchetta, Provolone, Giardiniera, ‘Nduja Aioli, Lettuce, and Tomato (I generally nix the tomato) on a Baguette

Tempesta Market
    1372 W Grand Ave
    Chicago, IL 60642
    (312) 929-2551

=R=

Oh my goodness, that is absolutely going to be my early lunch when I'm finally back in the office this Friday after a month on the road.
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #220 - December 10th, 2018, 9:48 am
    Post #220 - December 10th, 2018, 9:48 am Post #220 - December 10th, 2018, 9:48 am
    ld111134 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

Yes!

El Habanero
    3300 W Fullerton Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 227-9225

=R=

At the proprietor’s recommendation, I tried the al pastor pambazo. It’s even better than the carne asada iteration.
    On my way down to the Bears game yesterday, I stopped by for an al pastor pambazo sandwich, whoa boy that is a good sandwich!!
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #221 - December 10th, 2018, 10:07 am
    Post #221 - December 10th, 2018, 10:07 am Post #221 - December 10th, 2018, 10:07 am
    As a few others have said, after reading this thread, I went and had this on Saturday.

I can't overstate how delicious the sandwich is, but also, get some extra napkins! It's as delicious as it is messy for your hands!

Stellar, though. I will return for sure.

ronnie_suburban wrote:

Yes!

El Habanero
    3300 W Fullerton Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 227-9225

=R=
    "People are too busy in these times to care about good food. We used to spend months working over a bonne-femme sauce, trying to determine just the right proportions of paprika and fresh forest mushrooms to use." -Karoly Gundel, Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure, Joseph Wechsberg, 1954.
  • Post #222 - December 10th, 2018, 12:24 pm
    Post #222 - December 10th, 2018, 12:24 pm Post #222 - December 10th, 2018, 12:24 pm
    Great thread. Thank you all for reminding me of some classics and getting me excited to try new ones on the list.

Off the top of my head (and all hearty winter options), I'd add:

- Prime Rib sandwich at the rosticceria at Eataly. Hefty price tag, but a thing of beauty and big enough for two meals

- Jive Turkey sandwich at Toons. Great balance, hard to find a turkey-centric sandwich this good

- Medianoche at Señor Pan. I generally prefer the medianoche bread over the standard Cubano. Skip he mayo and this is my fave but a lot of places do it well. Man do I miss Con Sabor Cubano on Lawrence.

- Schnitzel Sandwich at Resi's. Simple and perfectly done.

- Classic Meatball Sub at any number of old school Italian restaurants or delis. Feel free to guide me to the best.
    Resis.jpg
    Senor pan.jpg
    Eataly.jpg
  • Post #223 - December 10th, 2018, 1:09 pm
    Post #223 - December 10th, 2018, 1:09 pm Post #223 - December 10th, 2018, 1:09 pm
    Santander wrote:A "Hans's Favorite" sandwich at the University Market (57th street and Kimbark in Hyde Park), featuring:

- Medici butter croissant, just baked
    - liberal smears of Honeycup mustard
    - Boar's Head Westphalian ham, cured hard with ribbons of rich fat
    - fresh red tomato
    - perfectly green and crunchy iceberg lettuce
    - Boar's Head Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese*

Bumping this because I was trying to think of a contender in the Hyde Park area and realized I had been turned on to this excellent sandwich by this very thread many years ago. University Market is long gone but this sandwich is still available at both Medici locations (the bakery/deli and the sit-down restaurants), and it is excellent. Their fresh mozzarella and tomato on ciabatta has been my go-to for years.

(I will not clutter this thread with extensive discussion of non-Chicagoland sandwiches, but I have to share with LTH that I had a coppa and mozzarella sandwich at the vaunted Salumi in Seattle over the weekend, and I think it might be the single best sandwich I've ever had.)
  • Post #224 - December 10th, 2018, 1:18 pm
    Post #224 - December 10th, 2018, 1:18 pm Post #224 - December 10th, 2018, 1:18 pm
    ndgbucktown wrote:(I will not clutter this thread with extensive discussion of non-Chicagoland sandwiches, but I have to share with LTH that I had a coppa and mozzarella sandwich at the vaunted Salumi in Seattle over the weekend, and I think it might be the single best sandwich I've ever had.)

Why not start a thread on Beyond Chicagoland for people to add-to as they travel around the world.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #225 - December 10th, 2018, 2:10 pm
    Post #225 - December 10th, 2018, 2:10 pm Post #225 - December 10th, 2018, 2:10 pm
    Chicken Schnitzel sandwich from Olga's Deli, RIP :cry:
  • Post #226 - December 10th, 2018, 3:13 pm
    Post #226 - December 10th, 2018, 3:13 pm Post #226 - December 10th, 2018, 3:13 pm
    Bayless must be doing something right -- There's a couple posts above me that list his concoctions as among the best, and I'll also nominate his torta ahogada: a soup/sandwich combo that's really hard to beat.

But honestly, so long as the giardinera is good, most Italian Beefs beat everything else hands down (I will not explore whether hot dogs are sandwiches, but a Beef certainly is).

Another memorable: I don't know if Al's Deli in Evanston still serves it, but I have fond memories of their Roast Beef Croissant, that included a nice (jarlsberg?) swiss and bearnaise sauce.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #227 - Yesterday, 5:24 pm
    Post #227 - Yesterday, 5:24 pm Post #227 - Yesterday, 5:24 pm
    alessio20 wrote:- Classic Meatball Sub at any number of old school Italian restaurants or delis. Feel free to guide me to the best.

Most certainly not old school, but I really enjoyed the meatball sub at Nonna’s (attached to Formento’s). Tender meatballs, good sauce, excellent bread. (They also put giardiniera on it, which does nothing for me in this context.) $10 and easily feeds two.

I’m having a hard time coming up with great sandwiches that haven’t been mentioned yet... mostly because Publican Quality Meats — which I firmly believe makes some of the best sandwiches in town — changes its menu on a regular basis.
  • Post #228 - Yesterday, 9:08 pm
    Post #228 - Yesterday, 9:08 pm Post #228 - Yesterday, 9:08 pm
    ndgbucktown wrote:
    Santander wrote:A "Hans's Favorite" sandwich at the University Market (57th street and Kimbark in Hyde Park), featuring:

- Medici butter croissant, just baked
    - liberal smears of Honeycup mustard
    - Boar's Head Westphalian ham, cured hard with ribbons of rich fat
    - fresh red tomato
    - perfectly green and crunchy iceberg lettuce
    - Boar's Head Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese*

Bumping this because I was trying to think of a contender in the Hyde Park area and realized I had been turned on to this excellent sandwich by this very thread many years ago. University Market is long gone but this sandwich is still available at both Medici locations (the bakery/deli and the sit-down restaurants), and it is excellent. Their fresh mozzarella and tomato on ciabatta has been my go-to for years.

(I will not clutter this thread with extensive discussion of non-Chicagoland sandwiches, but I have to share with LTH that I had a coppa and mozzarella sandwich at the vaunted Salumi in Seattle over the weekend, and I think it might be the single best sandwich I've ever had.)

Man. I had soooo many lunches with the turkey variant of this sandwich - I can't recall what it was called. So, so good. That mustard/croissant combo was legit.
  • Post #229 - Yesterday, 10:24 pm
    Post #229 - Yesterday, 10:24 pm Post #229 - Yesterday, 10:24 pm
    New contender: the Cardiac at Herm's Palace, Skokie. Salami and pastrami crisped up on the griddle, brown mustard, grilled onions and pepper jack on an onion roll.

Luscious meats, onions, a little spice... Perfect.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #230 - 38 minutes ago
    Post #230 - 38 minutes ago Post #230 - 38 minutes ago
    Lot of great sandwiches, here's one I love.

CafeMarieJeaneInsta1.jpg Cafe Marie Jeanne. Ham, butter & pickles w/addition of Dijon

Cafe Marie Jeanne
    1001 N California Ave
    Chicago, IL 60622
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat