LTH Home

What's the Best Sandwich in Chicago?

What's the Best Sandwich in Chicago?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 8
  • Post #151 - October 25th, 2008, 5:43 pm
    Post #151 - October 25th, 2008, 5:43 pm Post #151 - October 25th, 2008, 5:43 pm
    Two great picks, Ghazi!

You'd probably like GNR Nomniee The Brown Sack - great hearty homemade sandwiches (with house-prepared condiments) along those lines.
  • Post #152 - October 26th, 2008, 5:42 am
    Post #152 - October 26th, 2008, 5:42 am Post #152 - October 26th, 2008, 5:42 am
    kai-m wrote:
    Biting into the thing was like stuffing your mouth with nothing but roastbeef - which is not what I consider a good thing. The "art of sandwich-making" is to find a balance in the toppings.

I respect your opinion, trust me, but, tomato, tomahto. Your "balance" might be someone else's "not what I consider a good thing."

Exactly! Some of us consider any non-meat topping on a sandwich to be a waste of space, after all ;-)

And its not all "Americans" either - friend of mine (Indian out of Singapore) *loves* Bari's, most often the Hot-Italian.. but he specifies that no lettuce and tomato ever be added, as it completely ruins any sandwich for him. I dont care for lettuce and tomatoes on sandwiches myself usually (though on the Bari Hot Italian it actually works for me, shockingly)... though the other day at Bari's I got their Italian Sausage sandwich (which was quite awesome), and refused the counterman's offer of various toppings... just bread, Italian sausage, giard, and cheese, for me. Same with burgers (which are also sandwiches of course)... meat, cheese, *maybe* some griddled onions, I dont think a good burger really needs much else :-)

I havent been to Perry's, but the above description makes me want to go pronto :-)

c8w
  • Post #153 - October 26th, 2008, 9:04 am
    Post #153 - October 26th, 2008, 9:04 am Post #153 - October 26th, 2008, 9:04 am
    Only meat? What about cheese?

I agree with you on some fronts -- but the "run it through the garden" Chicago dog is an obvious exception.

Lettuce on a hot sandwich is often a disaster, especially if shredded. It turns to a wet, wilted mess.
    A very ripe tomato is an awesome addition to a burger, but it prety much never happens except at home. A less-than-ripe tomato is useless on everything.
    Slivers of red onion are a nice touch on many sandwiches, especially good for perking up overly-gloppy tuna or chicken salad.
    Keep those hamburger dills off of ALL sandwiches, please!
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #154 - October 26th, 2008, 9:19 am
    Post #154 - October 26th, 2008, 9:19 am Post #154 - October 26th, 2008, 9:19 am
    I think the Bocadillo de la Mancha sandwich at Pastoral (serrano, manchego, quince paste, greens, dijon on a baguette) is about as good a sandwich as I've had in recent memory. All of Pastoral's sandwiches that I have tried are great, but the past several trips I have not been able to order anything but the Bocadillo; it's just that good. This may sound like damning with faint praise (and is certainly not intended to be), but if there is a better sandwich in the Loop, I would be surprised.
  • Post #155 - October 26th, 2008, 10:28 am
    Post #155 - October 26th, 2008, 10:28 am Post #155 - October 26th, 2008, 10:28 am
    though the other day at Bari's I got their Italian Sausage sandwich (which was quite awesome), and refused the counterman's offer of various toppings... just bread, Italian sausage, giard, and cheese, for me. Same with burgers (which are also sandwiches of course)... meat, cheese, *maybe* some griddled onions, I dont think a good burger really needs much else :-)

I havent been to Perry's, but the above description makes me want to go pronto :-)

c8w[/quote]

I had an Italian sausage from Bari's yesterday, just green peppers and a touch of marinara. Heaven on bread. Spicy sausage with a good bite.
    trpt2345
  • Post #156 - October 26th, 2008, 3:27 pm
    Post #156 - October 26th, 2008, 3:27 pm Post #156 - October 26th, 2008, 3:27 pm
    One more hit: the black and blue panino at Juicy Wine Company:

mole salumi, spanish valdeon, black cherry conserve, and black lava sea salt

Wow.
  • Post #157 - November 3rd, 2008, 9:28 am
    Post #157 - November 3rd, 2008, 9:28 am Post #157 - November 3rd, 2008, 9:28 am
    I've been a lurker here for a while, but I ate this on Saturday and thought of this thread so I'm going to try this again, my first attempt was yanked for crossing the line on health code issues (which was NOT my intent, I'm confident that the food is safe. I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek about the place looking a bit scary and being not for the non-adventurous, kind of like a good pho place or a small town diner.)

This is take out only, and not for the squeamish, but walk in, ignore the 30 year old jars of jelly and syrup and what have you that no one buys, don't pass out from the oppressive heat, skip the coolers and cases and head directly to the deli counter in the back... The schnitzel at Olga's Deli on Irving Park just west of Albany is completely ridiculous. It's like 30 pieces of thin schnitzel piled high on rye bread (and she started my sandwich and decided the bread was too close to the ends of the loaf ("too small") so she went in the back for a new loaf). Don't go if you're in a hurry, I waited about 25 minutes for literally 2 people in front of me, Olga is not fast by any means. The schnitzel is the classic, but selection varies day to day and my favorite is the pork tenderloin (really more of a fried pork chop), which is sort of greasy/soggy instead of crisp, but also incredibly tender and flavorful so it all works out just fine, with the amazing homemeade kraut and brown mustard and grilled onions. Since I can eat like a rabid wolverine I'm able to finish it, but it would feed two hungry fat people. They also have fried perch, burgers I hear good things about, and corned beef that looked outstanding.

Anyway, tasty and cheap ($5!!!), but slow.
  • Post #158 - November 3rd, 2008, 9:33 am
    Post #158 - November 3rd, 2008, 9:33 am Post #158 - November 3rd, 2008, 9:33 am
    barooo wrote:I've been a lurker here for a while, but I ate this on Saturday and thought of this thread so I'm going to try this again, my first attempt was yanked for crossing the line on health code issues (which was NOT my intent, I'm confident that the food is safe. I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek about the place looking a bit scary and being not for the non-adventurous, kind of like a good pho place or a small town diner.)

Please remember that a sense of humor on the internet does not have the extra nuance of a twinkle in your eye. You can also be unintentionally damaging to someone's business. Unintended consequences, but damaging all the same.

Olga's Delicatessen
    3209 W Irving Park Rd
    Chicago, IL 60618
    (773) 539-8038
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #159 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:32 am
    Post #159 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:32 am Post #159 - November 3rd, 2008, 10:32 am
    I nominate the Canard Balsamico sandwich from pastoral. it's pretty heavenly...Duck confit with stinky cheese, whole grain mustard, balsamic marinated onions... MMMMMMMMMMMMM (i could do without many of their other sandwiches though)

...and i'm quite fond of Sergio's Special from Hannah's Bretzel, though I don't think it's a contender for best sandwich in chicago.
  • Post #160 - November 3rd, 2008, 11:06 am
    Post #160 - November 3rd, 2008, 11:06 am Post #160 - November 3rd, 2008, 11:06 am
    according the my girlfriend it is the cemita arabe at cemitas puebla. we haven't had a cemita with the papalo yet though.
  • Post #161 - November 17th, 2008, 10:10 am
    Post #161 - November 17th, 2008, 10:10 am Post #161 - November 17th, 2008, 10:10 am
    G Wiv wrote:Lox, cream cheese, tomato, onion, pickled jalapeno on bialy from New York Bagel and Bialy on Touhy in Lincolnwood. I neglected to ask for the bialy toasted or the sandwich would have both looked and tasted even better, and it tasted pretty damn good.

New York Bagel and Bialy
    4714 W Touhy Ave
    Lincolnwood, IL 60712
    847-677-9388

I like the way you think. Since seeing your post I paid visit to this institution that i've somehow managed to ignore for the more than 25 years i've lived in the area! What a shame.

I've officially become an addict. That's 3 post-2 a.m. visits in the last 10 days. Every time i've gotten the onion bialy (toasted) and topped with chive cream cheese (rich, hearty and smooth), lox, a slab of onion, and tomato. Once compiled, this sandwich is a big-un, and the contrast of the salty fish flavor of the lox is perfectly enhanced with the cruchy heat of the onion, while being serenely subdued by the cool creaminess of the cream cheese.

I often sit on the sofa afterwards, and just shake my head in wonder and amazement. I've been looking for a 24 hour or late night place to grab grub in the area - I just found me a great one.
  • Post #162 - November 18th, 2008, 10:42 am
    Post #162 - November 18th, 2008, 10:42 am Post #162 - November 18th, 2008, 10:42 am
    I must share this. I went back (again!) to NY Bagel and Bialy last night, but this time before 2 am. I'm offically an addict. :oops:

I had one of the most amazing pastrami sammiches ever. I was not expecting it to be legendary but it hit on all points. Toasted bialy bun held a manageable serving of hot and succulent pastrami, topped with onion slab and tomato. I topped it with mustard and a dab of mayo (something which suprisingly works well pastrami for some reason).

Does anyone know what brand of pastrami they use or if its in-house? I've never had it that moist, juicy and tender before. I can only assume its kept in a au jus of some type which is fine by me, because the meaty litely-greasy jus absorbed into the bialy and enhanced the experience all the more.

I asked a couple of weeks ago if they had hot pastrami (2 am) and they told me they didn't, so i was suprised when i got it hot yesterday. I assume after a certain time they only serve it cold.
  • Post #163 - December 6th, 2008, 3:29 pm
    Post #163 - December 6th, 2008, 3:29 pm Post #163 - December 6th, 2008, 3:29 pm
    Ghazi wrote:I must share this. I went back (again!) to NY Bagel and Bialy last night, but this time before 2 am. I'm offically an addict. :oops:

I had one of the most amazing pastrami sammiches ever. I was not expecting it to be legendary but it hit on all points. Toasted bialy bun held a manageable serving of hot and succulent pastrami, topped with onion slab and tomato. I topped it with mustard and a dab of mayo (something which suprisingly works well pastrami for some reason).

Does anyone know what brand of pastrami they use or if its in-house? I've never had it that moist, juicy and tender before. I can only assume its kept in a au jus of some type which is fine by me, because the meaty litely-greasy jus absorbed into the bialy and enhanced the experience all the more.

To clarify and answer my own question, NYBB now proudly serves pastrami from Manny's. It all makes sense now.
  • Post #164 - December 6th, 2008, 8:52 pm
    Post #164 - December 6th, 2008, 8:52 pm Post #164 - December 6th, 2008, 8:52 pm
    My new fave is the 5" Italian beef at Fiore Deli on the northeast corner of Erie and Oakley with hot giardiniera. I think it's the best beef on the northside.
  • Post #165 - December 8th, 2008, 4:06 pm
    Post #165 - December 8th, 2008, 4:06 pm Post #165 - December 8th, 2008, 4:06 pm
    Im changing my vote from upthread:

Cemita Atomica @ Cemitas Puebla
  • Post #166 - December 23rd, 2008, 3:26 pm
    Post #166 - December 23rd, 2008, 3:26 pm Post #166 - December 23rd, 2008, 3:26 pm
    Apple wrote:My new fave is the 5" Italian beef at Fiore Deli on the northeast corner of Erie and Oakley with hot giardiniera. I think it's the best beef on the northside.

Haven't had the beef but the best sandwich I've had in the past few months is a Fiore's small sausage (no red sauce), dipped in beef gravy and served with mild giardiniera. I ate it in the car and seriously considered getting another even though it filled me up "enough."

This sandwich was a byproduct of my beef neck bone quest today (snowing like mad btw) somewhere near my Ukrainian Village neighborhood. Sadly, they don't carry any but said they used to when the neighborhood was all Italian. She told me sadly, "people just don't cook like they used to." I replied by saying that it was okay and I better order a sandwich since I was already there - the best decision of the day.

(picked up the neck bones at strack and van til)
  • Post #167 - December 24th, 2008, 12:38 am
    Post #167 - December 24th, 2008, 12:38 am Post #167 - December 24th, 2008, 12:38 am
    Spicy falafel sandwich at Sultan's Market always hits the spot. Maybe not the best sandwich in the city, but it definitely comes to mind whenever I'm in the mood for a good sandwich.
  • Post #168 - January 5th, 2009, 10:23 am
    Post #168 - January 5th, 2009, 10:23 am Post #168 - January 5th, 2009, 10:23 am
    Living in Logan Square, I tend to eat at Lula Cafe on occasion (I'd eat there more frequently were it not for the wait). While dining there on Saturday, I realized how much trouble I have ordering anything other than the chicken torta sandwich. It's an unfortunate name for a sandwich that has little resemblance to a Mexican torta. But, it's delicious nonetheless. And, this is coming from someone who rarely orders chicken unless it's deep fried.

The sandwich is served hot, on a toasted, slightly crispy baguette. The chicken is better than fine, and never dry. What does it for me, though, is the wonderful combination of pickled red onions and tamarind mustard. Acidic onions and tangy mustard. Great stuff.

The sandwich is ample in size. And, with the side that's included in the $8 price tag (I like the spicy slaw), it makes for a nice, healthy meal at a moderate price.

No, it's not the "best" sandwich in Chicago. No, it's not worth the two hour wait to get into Lula. But, it is one of my favorite sandwiches in Chicago, and one that I find myself craving.
  • Post #169 - January 5th, 2009, 10:41 am
    Post #169 - January 5th, 2009, 10:41 am Post #169 - January 5th, 2009, 10:41 am
    jimswside wrote:Im changing my vote from upthread:

I've expressed this sentiment in a few other threads but haven't 'officially' weighed in with it here. I whole-heartedly agree. :)

I also have to give an enthusiastic mention to The Brown Sack's BLT with Shrimp and Avocado. As good as its parts are, the sandwich is even greater than the sum of them.

=R=
    Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #170 - January 5th, 2009, 10:44 am
    Post #170 - January 5th, 2009, 10:44 am Post #170 - January 5th, 2009, 10:44 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    jimswside wrote:Im changing my vote from upthread:

I've expressed this sentiment in a few other threads but haven't 'officially' weighed in with it here. I whole-heartedly agree. :)

=R=

The only thing that could make the Cemita Atomica any better in my world would be to add a fried egg on top of all that porky goodness.. :twisted:

but thats just the glutton in me talking. :D
  • Post #171 - January 5th, 2009, 3:32 pm
    Post #171 - January 5th, 2009, 3:32 pm Post #171 - January 5th, 2009, 3:32 pm
    The sandwich I miss most was the Reuben from Mazel Deli back in the late 70s. Any one else remember them?

My current favorites are either the BBQ pork or brisket from the Texan in Algonquin, the "Irving" from Siegelman's in Rolling meadows, and the crab cake sandwich from All Seafood (now Two Tails) in Woodstock.
  • Post #172 - January 5th, 2009, 4:16 pm
    Post #172 - January 5th, 2009, 4:16 pm Post #172 - January 5th, 2009, 4:16 pm
    j r wrote:The sandwich I miss most was the Reuben from Mazel Deli back in the late 70s. Any one else remember them?

Where the heck was the Mazel Deli?

The name sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't place the location.
    "Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsin' around on the airplane?"
  • Post #173 - January 5th, 2009, 10:05 pm
    Post #173 - January 5th, 2009, 10:05 pm Post #173 - January 5th, 2009, 10:05 pm
    The original Mazel Deli was on Dearborn, between Adams and Monroe. There were actually 2 of them, across the street from each other. One was lunch counter service, the other a cafeteria style, and both did take out orders. Then they moved near the Sears tower, then the partners split up and one of them opened Mort's on Wabash IIRC. That was still there last time I worked in the loop, back in 1993, but I'm pretty sure it is now gone.

I was trying to remember some of the other places I ate downtown back in the 70s:
    Bar Double R has been mentioned here once or twice
    Old Polonia
    Jimmy Wong's
    Berghoff's is the only one I can recall that's still sort of around
  • Post #174 - January 7th, 2009, 12:09 am
    Post #174 - January 7th, 2009, 12:09 am Post #174 - January 7th, 2009, 12:09 am
    The meatball hero at panozzos is good as well. good size, relatively cheap, IMO better than the Bari Meatball sammy, but nobody's perfect.

jbw wrote:Great list but Panozzo's vegetarian sub (eggplant, fresh mozzarello, red peppers, pesto, vinegar & oil) needs to be on it. Try it, you'll see what I mean:

1303 S Michigan Ave
    Chicago, IL 60605
  • Post #175 - January 7th, 2009, 12:14 am
    Post #175 - January 7th, 2009, 12:14 am Post #175 - January 7th, 2009, 12:14 am
    I would like to add an off-menu sandwich of my creation from Ceres in the Chicago Board of Trade lobby. Have them make a sandwich out of their corned beef hash with fried egg on a whatever bread you like. They'll do it when theyre not busy and its delicious. I guess you could also just order the corned beef hash and eggs and make it tableside if you ask for the toast dry (they overbutter their bread).
  • Post #176 - January 9th, 2009, 12:00 am
    Post #176 - January 9th, 2009, 12:00 am Post #176 - January 9th, 2009, 12:00 am
    Definitely agree with all touting the Cemita!

Gotta give props to the Cubano at Habana Libre too!

Habana Libre
    1440 W Chicago Ave
  • Post #177 - October 26th, 2009, 7:06 pm
    Post #177 - October 26th, 2009, 7:06 pm Post #177 - October 26th, 2009, 7:06 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    germuska wrote:
    kai-m wrote:And the amount of meat they put on those thin slices of bread is downright disgusting.

For reference, here's a sandwich from Perry's from a few months ago:
    While I don't dispute the excess (there was no way I was going to eat the second half of the sandwich, but fortunately, a friend arrived late for lunch and bypassed ordering) but note that one of the two layers here is just lettuce and no meat. I'm sure they have even more excessive sandwiches.

That really does look somewhat skimpy by Perry's standards. Behold the Ormond Street Special and Frenchie's Fantasy.

Nobody goes to Perry's for subtlety and restraint. They go for massive piles of meat. There are dozens of places in Chicago for "better" sandwiches but every now and then a feeding session at Perry's can't be beat.

Perry’s Deli
    180 N Franklin St
    Chicago
    312-372-7557

I had a chance to join a friend to go to Perry's on Franklin and it was a good thing he was along as that thing was massive!

Perry's Favorite - Corned beef, Jack cheese, coleslaw and Russian dressing

There was a goodly amount of cumin in the dressing which added a nice flavor contrast and a touch of heat.

Also the signature 'Temperature Soup' was fun. With the combo you pay the amount of cents that equals the temperature outside for a bowl of soup. If it is below zero, they pay you. :)

Tried to get back on a weekday that My Bride was off but we missed it by a few minutes. Gonna try again soon!

"Make Lunch, Not War" ~ Anon
  • Post #178 - October 26th, 2009, 10:47 pm
    Post #178 - October 26th, 2009, 10:47 pm Post #178 - October 26th, 2009, 10:47 pm
    I'll probably be the first to nominate this sandwich, but for those of you that frequent Birds Nest, they have an AMAZING buffalo chicken sandwich, but you must specify, the DRUNKEN BUFFALO CHICKEN SANDWICH, or they will give you a simple plain chicken sandwich with the buffalo sauce. Get the Drunken Bufallo Chicken sandwich which is a large beer battered chicken breast on a great bun with some blue cheese on it, it's my 2nd favorite sandwich in all of chicagoland, right there with a cemetas milensa from Cemitas Puebla. It's easily the best Buffalo Chicken Sandwich you will ever be lucky enough to taste!
    I'm not picky, I just have more tastebuds than you... ; )
  • Post #179 - October 27th, 2009, 9:50 am
    Post #179 - October 27th, 2009, 9:50 am Post #179 - October 27th, 2009, 9:50 am
    FoodSnob77 wrote:I'll probably be the first to nominate this sandwich, but for those of you that frequent Birds Nest, they have an AMAZING buffalo chicken sandwich...

I'll be the first to verify that. Make sure to get it with garlic fries. Every now and then I will grab a sandwich for takeout when I'm not feeling like eating in.

Drunken Buffalo Chix Sandwich

Birds Nest Bar
    2500 N Southport Ave
    Chicago, IL 60614-2125
    (773) 472-1502
  • Post #180 - November 15th, 2009, 10:34 am
    Post #180 - November 15th, 2009, 10:34 am Post #180 - November 15th, 2009, 10:34 am
    For all of you chick-fil-a fans like myself...it might not be worthwhile to drive way out of the way for it but the chicken fried chicken sandwich from Del Rhea's is the best chicken sandwich I have ever had.

chicken fried chix sandwich from Del Rhea's on Route 66

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more