LTH Home

Elizabeth Restaurant--Opening in September

Elizabeth Restaurant--Opening in September
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 10
  • Post #91 - January 20th, 2013, 9:36 pm
    Post #91 - January 20th, 2013, 9:36 pm Post #91 - January 20th, 2013, 9:36 pm
    I've never even been to her restaurant but I believe Elizabeth and her staff deserve better than to have a substantive and interactive discussion of her restaurant devolve into this sideshow. The people posting the diatribes have never participated in this site. Jeff Ruby isn't an active member (28 posts) of this site. Ms. Regan is and I applaud her for the self-discipline she is exhibiting (or maybe she just has better things to do with her time) in not responding to this garbage. The first post on this "topic" wasn't even original to LTH (the first slamwhateverhisnameis' post was a re-post from another site). I know others have been cautioned--some of whom were long time participants--about that. Certainly whenever someone came on here for the first time just to slam someone else it was addressed. Just because they're going after a writer and the restaurant is merely collateral damage, doesn't make it any less unsavory. This is the very definition of gaper's block.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #92 - January 20th, 2013, 9:44 pm
    Post #92 - January 20th, 2013, 9:44 pm Post #92 - January 20th, 2013, 9:44 pm
    Fellow Diner wrote:I just hope that no one was scared off of the idea of dining there from Mr Ruby's review.

Well, this is the irony of the whole situation. You've come here to vent about Ruby and in doing so, until this most recent post, the only detail you actually posted about your meal was a negative note about the wine service. This, more than anything Mr. Ruby wrote, would likely have a negative impact on folks deciding whether or not to dine at Elizabeth. We know there was a camera there (a nice one, lol) and that you all enjoyed the food. So, where is your detailed account? Where is a shot other than the wine glass filled with sediment?

If you truly care about the restaurant, the best possible thing you can do to convince people here to patronize it is to post in detail about your dining experience. Nothing trumps noise like content. Content is always King.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #93 - January 20th, 2013, 9:47 pm
    Post #93 - January 20th, 2013, 9:47 pm Post #93 - January 20th, 2013, 9:47 pm
    I chimed in to discuss/challenge Mr. Ruby's review early on, and I think it's relevant to fine dining in this fine city, but probably not specific to this restaurant. Should it be moved to another thread? Maybe, in respect to Elizabeth. However, as the very people that Mr. Ruby insults (foodies, like it or not), should this type of aggressive and incorrect assumption of our character be challenged without response? NO! If you don't like dining with people that appreciate food - Jeff Ruby - get another job. Sorry for the detour from discussion about Elizabeth - but this review was annoying to me, and insulting to anyone that enjoys a culinary artist...
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #94 - January 20th, 2013, 9:55 pm
    Post #94 - January 20th, 2013, 9:55 pm Post #94 - January 20th, 2013, 9:55 pm
    It has been challenged, both on Chicago Magazine's website and (apparently) in an email to the magazine's editor. Dragging it out to another public forum, and ruining the the thread of probably the most interesting fine dining restaurant in the city, is ridiculous.
    -Josh

I've started blogging about the Stuff I Eat
  • Post #95 - January 20th, 2013, 10:02 pm
    Post #95 - January 20th, 2013, 10:02 pm Post #95 - January 20th, 2013, 10:02 pm
    It's not ruining the thread, it's all part of a public discussion about this restaurant. I fight for the people, not the priveledged, and feel all should be heard.
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://pitbarbq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #96 - January 20th, 2013, 10:03 pm
    Post #96 - January 20th, 2013, 10:03 pm Post #96 - January 20th, 2013, 10:03 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Fellow Diner wrote:I just hope that no one was scared off of the idea of dining there from Mr Ruby's review.

Well, this is the irony of the whole situation. You've come here to vent about Ruby and in doing so, until this most recent post, the only detail you actually posted about your meal was a negative note about the wine service. This, more than anything Mr. Ruby wrote, would likely have a negative impact on folks deciding whether or not to dine at Elizabeth. We know there was a camera there (a nice one, lol) and that you all enjoyed the food. So, where is your detailed account? Where is a shot other than the wine glass filled with sediment?

If you truly care about the restaurant, the best possible thing you can do to convince people here to patronize it is to post in detail about your dining experience. Nothing trumps noise like content. Content is always King.

=R=

I will admit that I joined this forum because one of my friends alerted me to this forum after other readers posted links to Ruby's reviews and after one of your members decided to copy my comments from the review page and to comment on the review. My participation was only to present points to publicly defend myself from inaccurate statements and outright lies made about my person in that review. The story of the wine service (perhaps poorly) served to show how Mr Ruby overheard a mispronunciation once of the word foie gras deliberately during a joke, yet turned it in his article into several mispronunciations by multiple people due to ignorance.

A valid question has been raised which is "Do I have a right to defend my person and character -- even if the attacks could be considered anonymous?" As a moderator of a private board, you do have the ultimate choice over whether I have that right or not. But I would hope you would allow people to respond to accusations that are brought to your board.

As for a nice camera, yes... there was. Besides the Tribune photographer, one of the diners (who I met that night) took pictures with the permission of the Chef and Restaurant. He runs a truly beautiful food blog and I have kept in contact with him since we met at our dining experience. Here is a link to some lovely food pictures of the entire Diamond Menu and the Elizabeth restaurant.

http://taylorfladgate40906.wordpress.com/2012/11/08/elizabeth-restaurant-chicago-2012-11-08/
    Last edited by Fellow Diner on January 20th, 2013, 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • Post #97 - January 20th, 2013, 10:05 pm
    Post #97 - January 20th, 2013, 10:05 pm Post #97 - January 20th, 2013, 10:05 pm
    jesteinf wrote:It has been challenged, both on Chicago Magazine's website and (apparently) in an email to the magazine's editor. Dragging it out to another public forum, and ruining the the thread of probably the most interesting fine dining restaurant in the city, is ridiculous.

thank you.

I would propose that if they do not return to post something substantive about their meal at Elizabeth (and, no, I don't really think that a link to someone's blog of pictures counts), that this whole discussion be split off into it's own thread. Only seems fair. As someone who has not yet dined at Elizabeth and values the information provided as I decide if I will, the Hatfield/McCoy crap in here is utterly useless.

For those who enjoy watching the train wreck and snickering, haven't we all had a good look? Seems like time to move on now, no?
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #98 - January 20th, 2013, 10:15 pm
    Post #98 - January 20th, 2013, 10:15 pm Post #98 - January 20th, 2013, 10:15 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    jesteinf wrote:It has been challenged, both on Chicago Magazine's website and (apparently) in an email to the magazine's editor. Dragging it out to another public forum, and ruining the the thread of probably the most interesting fine dining restaurant in the city, is ridiculous.

thank you.

I would propose that if they do not return to post something substantive about their meal at Elizabeth (and, no, I don't really think that a link to someone's blog of pictures counts), that this whole discussion be split off into it's own thread. Only seems fair. As someone who has not yet dined at Elizabeth and values the information provided as I decide if I will, the Hatfield/McCoy crap in here is utterly useless.

For those who enjoy watching the train wreck and snickering, haven't we all had a good look? Seems like time to move on now, no?

+1
    Regardless of the people or the privileged it doesn't seem fair to the restaurant at all.
  • Post #99 - January 20th, 2013, 10:21 pm
    Post #99 - January 20th, 2013, 10:21 pm Post #99 - January 20th, 2013, 10:21 pm
    I am heading back to Elizabeth this week, so will provide an update of my meal and hopefully steer the discussion back to experience of dining at Elizabeth. That said I have to say that I have found the discussion about Mr. Ruby's review and the aftermath interesting and I personally do not think that it detracts from or casts any type of negative light on Elizabeth (if anything it adds to the intrigue). I do understand those guests who were negatively referenced in Mr. Ruby's review being angry and wanting to express their side of the story, but also understand the argument of perhaps it being best to not become so worked up and just letting it go. The Mr. Ruby issue is clearly a one time, unusual situation and has little to nothing to do with the customary experience of dining at Elizabeth (other than that communal tables sometimes can enhance one's meal, other times detract from one's meal); furthermore the issue with the sommelier were temporary and have already been rectified. I have enjoyed two outstanding dinners at Elizabeth and really find the venue, Chef Regan and the whole concept of the restaurant to be a breath of fresh air in the Chicago dining scene; it is one of my favorite places to eat. The food is outstanding, great ambiance, everyone on the staff I have encountered has been extremely friendly and I love the creativity and the whimsical aspect of the food and meal; there has been absolutely no drama at either of my previous meals and I enjoyed my tablemates. It is just such a fun overall experience and I am really looking forward to my meal.
    Twitter: @Goof_2
  • Post #100 - January 20th, 2013, 10:22 pm
    Post #100 - January 20th, 2013, 10:22 pm Post #100 - January 20th, 2013, 10:22 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:

thank you.

Yeah, the link above is pretty anti-climactic, given all the noise stirred up here. But because there are tidbits of actual information about dining at Elizabeth buried in some of slambennett's and Fellow Diner's posts, we're going to leave the thread intact for now. There's also something to be said about the perils of mixing communal dining with fine-dining, which, unfortunately, could have been brought to light in a much more cordial way.

At some point, we Moderators may split off some posts here to a dedicated discussion but for now they will remain. Still, in spite of that, we respectfully request that everyone here let this tangent go.

It's time to get the thread back on track, please. If you care about the restaurant at all -- which everyone here seems to -- you'll abide by that request.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the moderators
  • Post #101 - January 22nd, 2013, 12:31 am
    Post #101 - January 22nd, 2013, 12:31 am Post #101 - January 22nd, 2013, 12:31 am
    I will add, just in case there is any doubt, that I would unequivocally, at any time, recommend to anyone that they should experience the artistry and experience Iliana creates at Elizabeth. I am thrilled that she is taking the risks she is, and excited that the social experiment of communal fine dining is producing interesting debates far beyond the amazing meals there.
  • Post #102 - January 22nd, 2013, 1:12 pm
    Post #102 - January 22nd, 2013, 1:12 pm Post #102 - January 22nd, 2013, 1:12 pm
    Thank you for the food compliments. And we have a great new somm who is far superior to the previous and certainly better than the temporary replacement we had. I believe the controversy the communal dining has stirred is completely one I had anticipated. The communal setting was intentional to stir how we perceive and experience fine dining. Sometimes it is not perfect but then there are nights when everyone vibes on the food together, the experience is unparalleled. It's like a food orgy. Pretty magnificent.
    I will say I love when you dine Mr. Bennet and I adore the company you keep.
    Had it been another night the other guests may have loved your company. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. I don't believe there is a right or wrong here.
  • Post #103 - January 22nd, 2013, 3:33 pm
    Post #103 - January 22nd, 2013, 3:33 pm Post #103 - January 22nd, 2013, 3:33 pm
    I would like to share something positive about my dining experience at Elizabeth (after quite unkindly blasting the wine service received the day after the previous sommelier quit -- Sorry for that Iliana).

In 2012 I had the fortune of dining at all three Next menus, Alinea twice (once for EMP), and a number of other fantastic memorable meals.

But none of them connected with me on a visceral level the way Elizabeth did. The meal was both exciting and personally meaningful.

I grew up on a small country "farm". I raised, slaughtered, and cleaned geese, ducks, and rabbits for 13 years and we also raised chickens for eggs. We fed our birds an abundant amount of field corn (without gavage) so we even got to eat fatty livers (and other giblets - I'm a huge fan of gizzards) although not as pronounced as they would have been with force feeding. My family continues to hunt on our 100 acres of woodland we have put into the National Healthy Forest Reserve Program (HFRP) so I'm familiar with game meat -- especially venison. I have fond memories of my stepfather, who has passed, taking me into our woods mushroom hunting and wild berry picking as well as tapping hard and soft maples to make our own syrup in the spring.

As boys, we were encouraged to learn to shoot and bow hunt. My brother once bought a BB gun with his paper route money. My stepfather whooped his butt for wasting his money and made him take the BB gun back to the store -- then bought him a .22 caliber hunting rifle.

We had a large garden for fresh vegetables and we set traps for vermin that would raid our gardens including homemade figure fours and nail traps (although I'm told these are now considered inhumane but that's how country life was 25 years ago). We would shoot squirrels and eat them and shoot possums and bury them (no one wants to eat possum).

We even tried to eat a raccoon once -- JUST ONCE. It was a fairly tramautic memory. Cooking the racoon stunk up the house. It was very greasy and gamey meat with an unpleasant texture - and the taste.... well somewhat revolting. Even though we were a family not to waste food, we threw out the leftovers (of which there were a significant amount). After that coons got buried for fertilizer with the possums.

So I was familiar with many of the ingredients Chef Iliana used.

But the way she presented them was completely unique and nothing in my food experience could have prepared me for them.

Her foraged mushroom, foie gras, duck with pho spices, deer heart and bresaola all sang songs I have never heard before.

I was amazed -- even blown away -- by her food and I'm willing to admit I was likely exuberant eating it.

But there was one dish I was dreading -- the raccoon course I had heard about.

When it came, the raccoon bolognese did have a bit of greasiness that is hard to escape when preparing a raccoon that has been fattening for winter but it was no more fatty than you would expect from many a bolognese. It was generously salted but not offensively so since the salt was muted by other ingredients in the dish.

The end result wasn't the strongest dish of the evening but it was the biggest surprise for me because all-in-all, it was quite pleasant.

Last edited by Fellow Diner on January 22nd, 2013, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #104 - January 22nd, 2013, 4:27 pm
    Post #104 - January 22nd, 2013, 4:27 pm Post #104 - January 22nd, 2013, 4:27 pm
    Lovely post! Thanks for taking the time to describe both the backstory and the impressions from your dinner. Hope you'll keep contributing!!
  • Post #105 - January 22nd, 2013, 5:12 pm
    Post #105 - January 22nd, 2013, 5:12 pm Post #105 - January 22nd, 2013, 5:12 pm
    I had the first serving of the newest deer menu and it was quite excellent and there were a few really spectacular dishes

Like this super weird duck egg with a soft shimmering blood-red amaranth porridge and reminded me a lot of this artist's work

I also really really really liked this creamy sour-crunchy tartare dish. It has a lot of interesting and fun textures going on.

Duck with the skin stuffed with sausage is as good as it sounds

And a delicate mint-yuba dish that was an absolutely perfect ending to the meal with its playful riffs on the aromas, taste, and textures of mint

Also- great review Fellow Diner, hopefully you keep posting here :)
  • Post #106 - January 22nd, 2013, 5:34 pm
    Post #106 - January 22nd, 2013, 5:34 pm Post #106 - January 22nd, 2013, 5:34 pm
    Great pictures; those look awesome! Definitely piquing my appetite for my upcoming meal at Elizabeth (though I am having the Owl men this go-round).
  • Post #107 - January 23rd, 2013, 10:44 pm
    Post #107 - January 23rd, 2013, 10:44 pm Post #107 - January 23rd, 2013, 10:44 pm
    My wife and I had such a fun evening at Elizabeth tonight for the Owl menu. We had two other couples at the table and it was a nice mix of people; everybody seemed to enjoy one another's company and had a lovely evening with awesome food, wine, service, and ambiance (even the playlist for the background music was excellent). With it being a weeknight my wife and I decided to share a wine pairing; there has been a lot of recent talk about the wine program at Elizabeth and I am happy to report that it has not just been stabilized, but is better than ever! The sommelier (Ben) looked really familiar and we realized we had had him this past fall at Alinea; at Elizabeth he is now running the wine program and also assisting with food service. For the Owl menu the pairings ran $60 and included approximately half-glass sized pours of a champagne, two whites, two reds and a dessert wine. Ben was really personable and chose some amazing wines; one of the reds (Scholium Project, Garden of Babylon might just be the best tasting wine I have ever consumed). Chef Regan has once again worked her magic with the winter menu; stunning presentations, interesting and successful flavor combinations, and most courses tasted amazing (with not a single dud in the twelve courses). She is surrounded by such warm, friendly and attentive staff and dining at Elizabeth truly makes for a special, whimsical, fun evening.

The Amuse Bouche was titled "Parsnip Concoction by the Gone" and if I recall correctly also had some beets for texture and licorice:

Next up was the Trough of Tastes - The warm biscuit was so delicious and there was some nice bacon fat butter to accompany the biscuit:

This was followed by a Carrot Tea that smelled and tasted amazing, literally bursting with flavor:

Cured Trout and Parsley:

Orange Vegetables and Cashews:

Hen and Egg:

The Hen and Egg course was served with Homemade Focaccia and Mousse:

Sausage Gravy filled Round Pancake; this was topped with a bit of coffee and the flavor combination really worked - this was one of my favorite courses - I could easily have eaten a dozen of these:

Short Rib and Sweet Potato; my favorite course of the night. The short rib was glazed with Half Acre beer and the dish was accompanied by a sous vide cipollini onion; lots of complex flavors with this course and once again everything worked perfectly. The short rib was phenomenal as was every component on this plate:

The intermezzo was dubbed Milk, Honey, and Smoke Aroma (there was smoke under the shot glass that was released as you picked up the bite and the aromatics impacted the flavor of the bite - the whole room smelled great for a while afterwards, reminiscent of a camp fire):

Mirepoix - the main dessert course; so many different components. The spice cake and the carrot sorbet was my favorite part (I could not believe how intense the carrot flavor was), there was also some blue cheese ice cream and several other components:

Cookies - The final bite was a warm, freshly baked, rich and delicious chocolate cookie:

Served with the cookie was optional French Press coffee or tea ($4 surcharge for coffee service, $5 for tea): My wife opted for coffee and I went for the tea; both were outstanding. Elizabeth now also gives you a final pastry treat to take home with you along with the souvenir menu; I will be enjoying that at work tomorrow as I relive this fantastic dinner. The Owl menu (especially on a weeknight as the pricing is reduced) is a fantastic value - one of the best deals in fine dining; it is the perfect amount of food to leave satisfied, but not stuffed (while I certainly could have eaten more, I did not feel the need to eat anything else).

Chef Regan is a true natural with incredible talent and Elizabeth such is a magical and unique venue; Chef Regan had something special from day one and is now truly firing on all cylinders. She is so dedicated and motivated that as great as Elizabeth is now, it will only become better with time. Hopefully Ben will remain on as the sommelier for some time as he really adds to the experience. My wife and I definitely plan to return soon.
  • Post #108 - January 24th, 2013, 11:20 am
    Post #108 - January 24th, 2013, 11:20 am Post #108 - January 24th, 2013, 11:20 am
    Gonzo70 wrote:My wife and I had such a fun evening at Elizabeth tonight for the Owl menu. We had two other couples at the table and it was a nice mix of people; everybody seemed to enjoy one another's company and had a lovely evening with awesome food, wine, service, and ambiance (even the playlist for the background music was excellent). With it being a weeknight my wife and I decided to share a wine pairing; there has been a lot of recent talk about the wine program at Elizabeth and I am happy to report that it has not just been stabilized, but is better than ever! The sommelier (Ben) looked really familiar and we realized we had had him this past fall at Alinea; at Elizabeth he is now running the wine program and also assisting with food service. For the Owl menu the pairings ran $60 and included approximately half-glass sized pours of a champagne, two whites, two reds and a dessert wine. Ben was really personable and chose some amazing wines; one of the reds (Scholium Project, Garden of Babylon might just be the best tasting wine I have ever consumed). Chef Regan has once again worked her magic with the winter menu; stunning presentations, interesting and successful flavor combinations, and most courses tasted amazing (with not a single dud in the twelve courses). She is surrounded by such warm, friendly and attentive staff and dining at Elizabeth truly makes for a special, whimsical, fun evening.

The Amuse Bouche was titled "Parsnip Concoction by the Gone" and if I recall correctly also had some beets for texture and licorice:

The mirepoix is a genius idea!

How would you compare Elizabeth to EL Ideas?
    The Windy Foodie
    http://windyfoodie.com
  • Post #109 - January 24th, 2013, 12:36 pm
    Post #109 - January 24th, 2013, 12:36 pm Post #109 - January 24th, 2013, 12:36 pm
    El Ideas is about the only place in Chicago that does compare to Elizabeth; they are both really unique, fun venues (and among my favorite places to dine) but both share a couple aspects: With both there is lots of interaction with the chefs; the chefs serve and present much of the cuisine and one can even "hang out" in the kitchen area and observe. Both also feature really creative and interesting flavor combinations (that almost always work) and artistic, often whimsical plating. Both are casual ambiance, but no doubt fine dining. Where they differ are El is BYOB whereas Elizabeth has a wine program (and based on my experience last night the wines service really enhanced the meal and added to the experience, though obviously at an added cost). Elizabeth is also a bit more refined than El Ideas (neither in a good nor bad way, just a difference in style/vibe). Chef Regan also plays a greater role than Chef Foss in procuring much of the food used on the menu (i.e. via foraging, hunting, growing and fishing). Elizabeth also has communal tables whereas at El you generally are seated with your own party (though occasionally there is some communal seating at El and like at Elizabeth, you are served food simultaneously with other diners). You really cannot go wrong dining at either venue and both have such incredible food and are so much more than just a meal, but are culinary experiences.
  • Post #110 - January 24th, 2013, 12:45 pm
    Post #110 - January 24th, 2013, 12:45 pm Post #110 - January 24th, 2013, 12:45 pm
    In addition Elizabeth has 3 different menus to choose from that change seasonably while EL has a single menu that can change as frequently as daily. and is almost completely different after about 6 weeks.
  • Post #111 - January 24th, 2013, 3:59 pm
    Post #111 - January 24th, 2013, 3:59 pm Post #111 - January 24th, 2013, 3:59 pm
    And the names of both places start with the same three letters! :lol:
  • Post #112 - January 25th, 2013, 11:49 am
    Post #112 - January 25th, 2013, 11:49 am Post #112 - January 25th, 2013, 11:49 am
    Gonzo70 wrote:El Ideas is about the only place in Chicago that does compare to Elizabeth; they are both really unique, fun venues (and among my favorite places to dine) but both share a couple aspects: With both there is lots of interaction with the chefs; the chefs serve and present much of the cuisine and one can even "hang out" in the kitchen area and observe. Both also feature really creative and interesting flavor combinations (that almost always work) and artistic, often whimsical plating. Both are casual ambiance, but no doubt fine dining. Where they differ are El is BYOB whereas Elizabeth has a wine program (and based on my experience last night the wines service really enhanced the meal and added to the experience, though obviously at an added cost). Elizabeth is also a bit more refined than El Ideas (neither in a good nor bad way, just a difference in style/vibe). Chef Regan also plays a greater role than Chef Foss in procuring much of the food used on the menu (i.e. via foraging, hunting, growing and fishing). Elizabeth also has communal tables whereas at El you generally are seated with your own party (though occasionally there is some communal seating at El and like at Elizabeth, you are served food simultaneously with other diners). You really cannot go wrong dining at either venue and both have such incredible food and are so much more than just a meal, but are culinary experiences.

Thanks. I wonder if the wine program and the more refined style would mean that Elizabeth won't get snubbed by Michelin like EL Ideas was.
    The Windy Foodie
    http://windyfoodie.com
  • Post #113 - January 25th, 2013, 12:09 pm
    Post #113 - January 25th, 2013, 12:09 pm Post #113 - January 25th, 2013, 12:09 pm
    I am really hoping Elizabeth gets starred; hard to predict what will happen since it is such a unique venue, but IMHO it is Michelin worthy. Hoping El Ideas also receives a star this time through. Michelin is going to have to adapt to these cutting edge, game changing venues if they want to stay relevant.
  • Post #114 - January 25th, 2013, 12:36 pm
    Post #114 - January 25th, 2013, 12:36 pm Post #114 - January 25th, 2013, 12:36 pm
    Gonzo70 wrote: Michelin is going to have to adapt to these cutting edge, game changing venues if they want to stay relevant.

Many would say that ship has already sailed.

=R=
  • Post #115 - January 25th, 2013, 12:42 pm
    Post #115 - January 25th, 2013, 12:42 pm Post #115 - January 25th, 2013, 12:42 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Gonzo70 wrote: Michelin is going to have to adapt to these cutting edge, game changing venues if they want to stay relevant.

Many would say that ship has already sailed.

=R=

Took the words out of my mouth. Too late, as evident by the 2013 guide.
  • Post #116 - January 25th, 2013, 12:52 pm
    Post #116 - January 25th, 2013, 12:52 pm Post #116 - January 25th, 2013, 12:52 pm
    Gonzo70 wrote:I am really hoping Elizabeth gets starred; hard to predict what will happen since it is such a unique venue, but IMHO it is Michelin worthy. Hoping El Ideas also receives a star this time through. Michelin is going to have to adapt to these cutting edge, game changing venues if they want to stay relevant.

Not saying I always agree with Michelin, but Alinea is cutting edge and they got 3 stars. Brooklyn Fare has communal dining and they received 3 stars. Schwa and momofuku ko both offer "different" experiences and they are stared (although I think Schwa is at least a 2 star experience). Perhaps they are underwhelmed by El Ideas on it's merits.
  • Post #117 - March 6th, 2013, 9:19 pm
    Post #117 - March 6th, 2013, 9:19 pm Post #117 - March 6th, 2013, 9:19 pm
    First things first, this was my second meal at Elizabeth Restaurant. The first time I attended was during Friends and Family on their second day of service, so I didn't think it was fair to judge the meal on a monetary level or a service level, as there were definitely some hiccups.

I sure am glad I didn't write off Elizabeth after that first visit. I was worried about the price point, given that One Sister was such a steal, but my wife was not able to attend during F&F, and with a nice tax return in hand, she wanted to go. We ordered the Deer menu with pairings, and everything was stellar.

PHOTO HEAVY WARNING

Restaurant

Centerpiece
    Like Alinea, the centerpiece will play a role later on

PINE CONE, CHERRYWOOD, and MAPLE plum wood consomme, trout roe, pine gel
    Egly-Ouriet 'Les Vignes de Vrigny', Brut, Champagne NV
    very sweet, with a nice salty finish from the roe sitting at the bottom of the glass

ROUND PANCAKE housemade goat cheese, thyme gel
    the pancake was nice and flaky which overshadowed the goat cheese a little bit, sadly. Still, a nice bite.

TERRARIUM OF GRANDFATHER'S FARM malt soil, greek yogurt, brunoise of pine gel, pickled hand picked blueberries, crispy beet leaf

ACORN GNOCCHI half acre beer gellies, pickled autumn olives, pickled chanterelles, fermented and caramelized crab apples, pickled crabapples, pickled pearl onions, rapini crowns, wilted leaves and ribbons in a housemade pomegranate vinegar
    Cosimo Maria Masini, 'Daphne', Toscana, Italy 2008
    One of the standouts for me. Gnocchi's had a delicious chew to them.

TREE NESTS Spaghetti squash nest, salmon roe, black pepper pearls
    Beautiful in presentation, but sadly my 'nest' was the only thing I could taste. Everyone else at the table loved theirs.

VENISON TARTARE and VINEGAR Venison loin tartare, crispy housemade foccacia, sabayon, seed cracker, spice bush berries, spice bush berry pickling liquid cubes, roasted garlic puree, red wine vinegar powder
    Marcel Lapierre, Morgon Beaujolais, France 2011
    Another standout for me. Venison had a nice, creamy taste to it - didn't come off gamey. I loved it.

1 PILL MAKES YOU LARGER mushroom tea with cocoa nib and chamomile
    Lovely as always

DUCK EGG, MUSHROOM, and BLOOD PORRIDGE beet, blood and quinoa porridge, cured slagel family farm duck egg yolk, roasted maitake mushrooms, pickled maitake mushrooms, parsley pudding, mignonette gel
    Keller HM No. 15, Rheinhessen, Germany 2010
    Image Image
    I'm not normally the biggest fan of quinoa, but I had every bite of this.

POTATO, EGG, TRUFFLE and TWIG potato mousseline, shaved black truffle, quail egg and malt twigs
    Here's where the centerpiece came into play.

RABBIT RAVIOLO braised rabbit leg raviolo with black trumpet mushrooms and bacon, wilted kale, red wine butter sauce
    Lopez de Heredia, Vina Tondonsia, Reserva, Rioja, Spain 2001
    Everyone's favorite dish of the night. Though I'm upset Iliana isn't cooking her pierogi's anymore (or maybe she is, just not in this menu), I would gladly eat 5-10 of these in its place.

49° 29'N / 87° 4'W Forest tea-oak leaves, pine cone, pine needles, dried oyster mushroom and sumac branches---all from Chef's cousins farm then additionally sassparilla root and chanterelle mushroom
    ImageImageImageImage
    Fun presentation, subtle taste.

LEG, PICKLED VEGETABLE and HAZELNUT Venison leg from the hunter, housemade mascarpone, hazelnut puree, pickled beets, preserved cranberries, blanched rutabegga
    Cesari, Ripasso 'Bossan', Veneto, Italy 2008
    A very interesting course (I wish the photo did the dish justice). 3 of the 4 of us at the table do not/did not enjoy beets, but had no problem getting this down. Mascarpone shined.

WILD RICE CRISPY TREAT puffed wild rice, curry marshmallow, pink peppercorns, wisconsin cheddar, cured and dried deer tenderloin from the hunter
    Fun, tasty, and awkward to eat.

ROASTED QUAIL AND POTATOES Whole roasted duck with leg sausage, charred leeks, pickled sous vide potatoes, duck gellies
    Mas de Daumas Gassac, Vin de Pays de l'Herault, France 2009
    Image Image
    By this point, Dana was throwing in the towel...which was fine with me. These birds were prepared perfectly, and I cleaned the meat off the bones.

SPRUCE SODA
    Never been a fan of spruce and this did not convert me in the slightest. Always gives off a medicinal taste to me.

BERRIES and MILK Pickled elderberries, elderberry pickling liquid pudding, sweetened housemade ricotta, compressed brown butter powder, partially dehydrated yuba, mint cubes and mint sorbet
    Olivares, Dulce Monastrell, Jumilla, Spain 2008
    Image Image
    Back to the good stuff. This dish just melted in your mouth.

BIRCH and ROSEHIP frozen birch mousse, candied blk walnuts, pickled black walnuts, pickled rosehips, capered rosehips, birch and vanilla ice cream

PORCINI BITES porcini mushroom caramel with thyme gel and sea salt

Fantastic meal, the best dining companions we've had at one of these communal dinners, and the pairings were nearly perfect (the Olivares was too sweet for me).

Elizabeth Restaurant, I will be back.

:edit:
    re-did all the photos! After having done so, I can't wait to go back...
    Last edited by incite on March 1st, 2014, 6:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
  • Post #118 - March 11th, 2013, 3:27 pm
    Post #118 - March 11th, 2013, 3:27 pm Post #118 - March 11th, 2013, 3:27 pm
    Awesome pictures incite!
    In other news, the first few weeks of our spring menu is open for ticket purchase. Weekends fill up fast so take advantage of our week night prices. We have a new dining schedule with new prices and time frames. Dinner does not cost as much nor does it take as long to dine as some may think. Now being close to six months old we are becoming a well oiled machine. We are constantly and consistently working on all aspects to give our guests the best dining experience possible. Spring is going to be a lot of fun considering our love of nature, the woods, the farms, and seasons. While the winter is full of preserved elements the spring will be full of sprouts, buds, shoots, fresh greens, and new growth! We will make some small transitions in menu towards the end of March and early April and fully change over in mid April.
    Owl menu-approximately 10 courses starts at 630 pm and price ranges from 75-105.
    Deer menu-approximately 15 starts at 745 pm and price ranges from 115-135.
    Diamond menu-approximately 20 couses starts at 7 pm and price ranges from 145-175.
  • Post #119 - March 30th, 2013, 8:31 pm
    Post #119 - March 30th, 2013, 8:31 pm Post #119 - March 30th, 2013, 8:31 pm
    Last week a friend of mine and I went to Elizabeth for the Diamond menu. My understanding is that over time the Diamond menu will become more of a combination of the Owl (farm-to-table) and the Deer (Gathered), more than a separate menu.

First, I guess, as is now the tradition to review my fellow table mates and only then get to the food. They were great and on-time! Take that Jeff Ruby!

Since I had the Diamond Menu, I need to post photos, but won't have a lot to say about the dishes. But let me note that I wanted to wait until after I dined at Next for "The Hunt." I thought that overall I preferred the Diamond menu, although I must also say that I found “The Hunt” perhaps the weakest of Next’s menus (some of their dishes were excellent [the Pressed Squab and the Marrow Bulee], some not, and it wasn’t as much oriented to hunting/gathering, as Elizabeth's Deer menu.

In terms of Elizabeth's menu itself, I felt that there were some dishes that might have done with less elaboration. Some of these small dishes seemed to have a dozen ingredients and nearly as many preparations. In a larger dish, that is fine, but when one has only three bites, less might be more or at least less might be no less. Simplicity can be a virtue for diners at small-bite restaurants and also for cooks. Elizabeth's (Liz's, Betty's, Beth's, Eliza's???) dishes were, in the main, more complex than those at Noma, which is always focused on ingredients.

The most distinguished dish of the night was the Borscht Experiment, not because of the molecular techniques, but because of the startling and complex taste. I also enjoyed the lox and the pork pho (Iliana's soups are always wonderful as are your pierogi, the best ever). I was glad to have the jerky. The build-a-plate was fun. The uni and kraut was also a very compelling dish with excellent plating. As I told you at the time the pork skin and cauliflower ragu was brave and amazing both with its assertively chewy texture, but rich taste. Also excellent was the short rib with “good stuff”, and the root vegetable dessert. The people at my table really loved the shrimp noodles, which I thought were quite good, but perhaps an example of too much work for a single bite.

The two dishes on the Diamond menu that I was not enamored by were the Chicken Pot Pie and the Turbot. I have not loved these pastries. They are on each menu, and the texture never seems right to me. Undercooked or overcooked; mushy or dry (this was mushy). The other dish might simply have been a function of a minor cooking error. The turbot was rather dry. I didn’t find it an amazing dish, but it would have been better if the turbot were cooked two minutes less. But Elizabeth has the virtue that because it is so personal each dish does not have to be precisely perfect as long as the whole evening is grand. And it was. Grand and long. But the service was gracious and, as I mentioned, our fellow diners were congenial. Take that, again, Jeff Ruby!

So here are the Diamond photos from mid-March:

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Liquid Bagels and Lox by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    A perfect starter

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Borscht Experiment, Deconstruction by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    A beautiful throwback to the days of molecular cuisine

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Bear Jerky by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    This is "The Hunt": off-menu extra

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Salad Sponge by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    An Iliana tradition

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Pierogi by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    Regan's Glorious Pierogi!

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Raw Scallop Painting by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    Fun, but no finger painting?

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Shrimp Noodles by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    Tasty, but perhaps too complex for a single bite.

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Apple Tea and Sea Grapes by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    Sweet!

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    I should remember what this off-menu dish is, but it is the most Noma-like presentation of the night.

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Langostine and Dill by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    This dish reminded me of L20 under Laurent Gras. This was the most beautifully composed dish of the night.

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Edible Terrarium of Wild Carrots by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    I hope that I am not confusing this the photo two above. I don't see carrots in either one.

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Turbot, Cashew and Earl Grey by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    Overcooked

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Mussel and Pork by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    Love that thumb!

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Uni and Sauerkraut Soup by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    A beautiful and challenging dish: uni and kraut!

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Foie Gras, Radish and Brioche Soil by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    The dish was good, but it didn't really need foie gras

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Kale and Brown Spiced Sweetbreads by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    A splendid dish that would have looked better on a white plate from Crate and Barrell

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Pork Skin and Cauliflower Ragu by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    A thoroughly brave dish with the chewy pork skin.

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Pork Pho by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    A lovely pho. Iliana always is excellent with her soups.

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Chicken Pot Pie by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    Somewhat undercooked.

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Beef Short Rib with Radish and Green Onions by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    The photo doesn't do this pretty plate justice.

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    Ricotta and Carrots, if you can find them.

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Root Vegetables and Pink Peppercorn by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    Sweet and sculptural.

Elizabeth - Chicago - March 2013 - Ice Cream Cone by garyalanfine, on Flickr
    One of our fellow diners (Magritte style). Take that, once again, Jeff Ruby! :lol:
    Toast, as every breakfaster knows, isn't really about the quality of the bread or how it's sliced or even the toaster. For man cannot live by toast alone. It's all about the butter. -- Adam Gopnik
  • Post #120 - May 6th, 2013, 3:16 pm
    Post #120 - May 6th, 2013, 3:16 pm Post #120 - May 6th, 2013, 3:16 pm
    As a critic of the value proposition of the diamond menu, I thought I should point out that the prices are substantially lower now than when I attended.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more