LTH Home

Soluri & Sons Italian Deli - Bridgeport

Soluri & Sons Italian Deli - Bridgeport
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Soluri & Sons Italian Deli - Bridgeport

Post #1 - May 22nd, 2013, 11:00 am
    Post #1 - May 22nd, 2013, 11:00 am Post #1 - May 22nd, 2013, 11:00 am
    Really enjoyed a subsequent visit and heard from another LTH'r that they enjoyed the place, so I'm going to start a dedicated thread. Below is my post in the Sub Comparision thread just to get the ball rolling.

Adding another contender to the mix - Soluri & Sons, newly opened after shuttering the original location 20 years ago. (Story here: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130320 ... on-halsted)

Like Suzy and Rene, I've been waiting for this place to open, so I was pretty pleased to see it in action today. They use D'Amato's bread AND sell D'Amato's pizza, so I was particularly optimistic. Very small store, a few counter seats, no tables, deli-case with their apparently famous house-made sausages (a number of people came in for the Italian while I was waiting and discussed prep methods with the owner) deli meats/cheese and some attractive salads and sides (marinated artichokes, mushrooms, etc.). They have a very small sandwich menu printed on the wall:

The owner was hanging out and I was torn between an Italian and the prosciutto, so I asked him and he said they were both great, but he particularly liked the prosciutto. He likes it so well, in fact, that he ordered one for himself after I ordered. He also offered to watch my car so I didn't get a ticket, friendly fellow. They offer mild or hot giardiniera (jars for sale at the counter), which is also made in house, I opted for hot. Sorry for the terrible cell phone pic, but this is one heckuva sandwich, the giardiniera, IMO, as good if not better, than Bari's.

The house dressing is a very light vinaigrette, doesn't interfere with the sandwich or make it greasy at all. I put one half away as soon as I got home, I have the other half in the fridge to check out later, but if this first sandwich is any kind of an indicator, we have a really terrific new sandwich shop here in Bridgeport. I'll be curious to hear what others think.

Soluri and Sons Italian Deli
    3549 S. Halsted
    Chicago, IL

http://www.soluriandsons.com
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
  • Post #2 - May 22nd, 2013, 11:32 am
    Post #2 - May 22nd, 2013, 11:32 am Post #2 - May 22nd, 2013, 11:32 am

As reported above, this is a fine sandwich, which made the last offering from Gio's Cafe seem like it was a Play-Doh facsimile.

Particularly noteworthy on this Spicy Italian from Soluri were the genuinely hot giardiniera (very crunchy, perhaps a young batch), very nice and thinly sliced tomato, flavorfully rich provolone, light but well-seasoned dressing, and the D'amato's bread. Only knock for me was very thickly sliced and overabundant capicola.

It did surprise me to see the full sheet of D'amato's pizza, which I hadn't noticed for retail elsewhere (anyone?), but it speaks of a direct pipeline and good taste in vendors to me.

San Pellegrino products in the cooler, and they seemed to be doing brisk business already, with two dedicated sandwich makers in the kitchen. Nice grab-and-go option to have on Halsted.
  • Post #3 - May 22nd, 2013, 11:47 am
    Post #3 - May 22nd, 2013, 11:47 am Post #3 - May 22nd, 2013, 11:47 am
    Santander wrote:Particularly noteworthy on this Spicy Italian from Soluri were the genuinely hot giardiniera (very crunchy, perhaps a young batch)

The giardiniera are really fantastic and pack quite the punch. Hours after I finished my sandwich, I could still feel the burn! I'm looking forward to trying the sausages they have in the case, seems like almost everyone who goes in there walks out with some.
  • Post #4 - May 28th, 2013, 3:57 pm
    Post #4 - May 28th, 2013, 3:57 pm Post #4 - May 28th, 2013, 3:57 pm
    Santander wrote:It did surprise me to see the full sheet of D'amato's pizza, which I hadn't noticed for retail elsewhere (anyone?), but it speaks of a direct pipeline and good taste in vendors to me.

I've been in several more times, and it turns out you are correct, Soluri's owner Peter is good friends with the owner of D'Amato's, hence the bread, the pizza and the tomato bread they often have in stock. The house made giardiniera continues to impress - the more I try it, the more I'm convinced this is the best giardiniera in the city. The tuna poorboy (they call all of their sandwiches "poorboys") was Genova, lightly tossed with mayo and red onion. A really nice sandwich, particularly with the addition of giardiniera, although I might order it with the house dressing instead of mayo next time. The Italian and the Turkey poorboy's were equally successful (I modified the turkey and had it made with the dressing instead of mayo), and I'm struck with how well composed each one has been. I'm really looking forward to trying their daily soup offerings as they place such an emphasis on freshness and everything I've had has been so well done. An all around warm and friendly family operation, (Peter was joking today that Bari is now located at 35th and Halsted) I'm glad to have them in the neighborhood.

Note - cash only, but they do have an ATM on the premises.
  • Post #5 - June 3rd, 2013, 12:09 pm
    Post #5 - June 3rd, 2013, 12:09 pm Post #5 - June 3rd, 2013, 12:09 pm
    I work a block from here and was very anxious to try. I usually bring my lunch as I commute on the Metra and the only other close sandwich option is Jimmy John's. Tried the Spicy Italian today. Fantastic sandwich! Had it with mayo and the hot giardiniera. It actually had some heat! Great meat, good bread, huge sandwich. I resisted the temptation to eat the whole thing. I will be back to try them all! Highly recommended. Owner came over and gave us some homemade Sicilian olives to sample that were also very good. Great dill pickles.
  • Post #6 - June 17th, 2013, 5:30 pm
    Post #6 - June 17th, 2013, 5:30 pm Post #6 - June 17th, 2013, 5:30 pm
    I've been back several more times and am pleased to report that they are starting do do a bustling business. I haven't had a dud yet, the American with provolone and house dressing subbed for american/mayo, was terrific today. Has anyone tried the Italian sausage here yet? It seems as if everyone who walks in walks out with at least a couple of pounds, and they all share recipes while they wait for their orders. Very pleasant and neighborly.
  • Post #7 - November 6th, 2015, 5:39 pm
    Post #7 - November 6th, 2015, 5:39 pm Post #7 - November 6th, 2015, 5:39 pm
    Boy does this place hit the spot every damn time i go in! Recently got an IB sangueesh from S&S a few days ago and it ruled. Beef was really tender and stacked in there with some really good hot giardiniera.

Also, im not sure when this happened, but they have a bunch of new sandwiches on the wall. Breaded Steaks, Combos, Eggplant Parm, Meatball, and even Pepper & Egg! Looking forward to trying all of these soon. Very glad this is place is in the neighborhood because sometimes, i just dont feel like driving to Bari and i think S&S may rival Bari with the Italian Sub.

What do you think?
    #SOUTHSIDESLITHER
  • Post #8 - November 7th, 2015, 2:43 pm
    Post #8 - November 7th, 2015, 2:43 pm Post #8 - November 7th, 2015, 2:43 pm

FYI, I find that the above url doesn't work but that this one does:
    http://soluriandsonsitaliandeli.com/
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #9 - November 29th, 2016, 9:43 am
    Post #9 - November 29th, 2016, 9:43 am Post #9 - November 29th, 2016, 9:43 am
    Fire Ravages Building That Houses Soluri & Sons Italian Deli
    BRIDGEPORT — Michelle Kelly doesn't even have a pair of shoes.

Not after fire ripped through the building that houses her apartment — and the Soluri & Sons Italian Deli — at 3549 S. Halsted St. Sunday night.

"I've lost everything," Kelly said. "I'm going to be 65 years old in March, and I have nothing."

Kelly was sitting in her living room Sunday night at when she saw — and smelled — something unusual.

"I saw smoke on the ceiling," Kelly said. On Monday morning, she took account of her things, most of them charred, blackened or totally destroyed.

Around 8:30 p.m., a fire started in the basement, authorities said. The Chicago Fire Department was able to put out the blaze, witnesses said. There were no injuries reported.

Fire Department officials were not immediately available Monday morning to comment on what might have caused the fire.

Owners of Soluri & Sons were not immediately available for comment Monday morning.
  • Post #10 - October 14th, 2018, 6:54 pm
    Post #10 - October 14th, 2018, 6:54 pm Post #10 - October 14th, 2018, 6:54 pm
    Back from the ashes at a new location:

3142 S Morgan St.
    Chicago, IL 60608
    (773) 247-8777

I've never been to the old location. I found the new location yesterday by doing a quick LTH search with the Google. I was in the neighborhood with my posse in the middle of our Open House Chicago excursion.

Our posse consumed two Italian subs, one veggie sub, and one caprese sub. Everybody was very happy with their choices. The owner handed out samples of homemade Sicilian olives.

Indoor seating consists of a counter along two walls with stools. There are a few tables and chairs outside in an adjacent courtyard. Nice folks behind the counter. Large containers of homemade giardiniera available to go.

I'll definitely be back when I'm in the area.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more