Deep Dish Pizza

Posted September 2nd 2013, 9:30pm
I am thinking some of the Greek places might have some good. I like grilled not too rare with maybe some olive oil and herbs. Pls advise.

Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
W. Shakespeare
Posted September 2nd 2013, 9:43pm
I'd go to Green City Farmers Mkt and buy them from Mint Creek Farm and make them yourself w/the best lamb in the city.

"In pursuit of joys untasted"
from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
Posted September 2nd 2013, 10:08pm
Maybe marinade with a little wine, olive oil, garlic and fresh rosemary.

Toria

W. Shakespeare

Lead Moderator
Posted September 2nd 2013, 10:38pm
toria wrote:Maybe marinade with a little wine, olive oil, garlic and fresh rosemary.

If you want a restaurant version, I think your initial hunch was a good one. I think any high-quality Greek place that does a decent turn should be able to serve you just what you want. I happen to love the grilled lamb chops at Greek Islands (Halsted and Adams) because they're almost always tender, flavorful and cooked exactly to order but I've had very nice versions at several other places in Greektown and Psistaria, too.

=R=

"When you’re young, it’s all fillet steak. But as you get older, you have to move onto the cheaper cuts..." --M. Gustave

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider

Twitter: ronniesuburban
Posted September 3rd 2013, 7:05am
It may have been the night, it may have been the lamb but I had exceptionally good lamb chops at the Charcoal Oven in Skokie not long ago. Mercat a la Planxa also serves excellent lamb chops, but they are very pricey.
Posted September 3rd 2013, 8:14am
I had the grilled Lamb chops at Mercat a la Planxa yesterday. That was what got me thinking about them. I liked them well enough but don't get down there that often. I don't think these are the ultimate in quality of meat or preparation even though they were good. I just had a taste because we were sharing. I will try the Greek option and see what I think.

Toria

W. Shakespeare

Site Admin
Posted September 3rd 2013, 8:27am
I agree on trying some Greek places. Psistaria and Periyali both do great renditions of lamb chops, if you don't want to drive all the way to Greektown. Psistaria offers them two different ways; traditional thicker cut chops as well as a thinner cut version that you gnaw off the bone. Periyali offers no less than four different lamb chop preparations as well as a combo platter.

Psistaria
4711 W Touhy Ave
Lincolnwood, IL 60712
(847) 676-9400

Periyali
9860 Milwaukee Ave
Glenview, IL 60016
(847) 296-2232

Steve Z.

"Why should I eat a carrot when I can eat pizza?" - Dan Janssen
Posted September 3rd 2013, 10:11am
Not traditional but the Cambezola (sp?) stuffed lamb chops at Sola, when they're on the menu, are amazing.

is making all his reservations under the name Steve Plotnicki from now on.
Posted September 3rd 2013, 5:43pm
The best lamb chops I've had in Chicago were at Gene and Georgetti. I generally don't spend a lot of time at steakhouses, but if someone insists that I join them at Gene and Georgetti, I'm happy to go and order the lamb chops. They are not inexpensive, but they fit the subject title perfectly.
Posted September 3rd 2013, 6:48pm
Yes. Maybe the only thing about G&G not up for debate. The lamb chops. Used to be Chiapetti back in the day, I think.
Posted September 3rd 2013, 8:14pm
I can't say whether or not they are the best around, but I have enjoyed the lamb at GNR Avli.

Lead Moderator
Posted September 3rd 2013, 8:52pm
bw77 wrote:I can't say whether or not they are the best around, but I have enjoyed the lamb at GNR Avli.

Me too but I've never had the chops there.

=R=

"When you’re young, it’s all fillet steak. But as you get older, you have to move onto the cheaper cuts..." --M. Gustave

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider

Twitter: ronniesuburban
LTH Forum Holiday Party

Online Information