LTH Home

Edgebrook Diner - Attention Corned Beef Lovers

Edgebrook Diner - Attention Corned Beef Lovers
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Edgebrook Diner - Attention Corned Beef Lovers

Post #1 - October 3rd, 2013, 5:16 pm
    Post #1 - October 3rd, 2013, 5:16 pm Post #1 - October 3rd, 2013, 5:16 pm
    For those of you who have been around LTH for a number of years, you probably recall the glory days of former board favorite Edgebrook Diner (aka Edgebrook Coffee Shop). For those not familiar with its odyssey, at one time Edgebrook Diner was owned by the affable Dimitri & Christina Capitan and had lines out the door on weekends for biscuits & gravy and home cooked breakfasts. Dimitri & Christina sold the diner several years ago and it has passed through a succession of owners since then; each one a step down in quality...until now.

Edgebrook Diner

I've started a new thread because Edgebrook Diner is entering a new era. The diner is now owned by Chris & Leslie Burrell. Chris is a veteran chef who has worked at a bunch of places around town, but has now realized every chef's dream/nightmare of opening his own place. He's got a small, but ambitious menu, in that he is preparing many items in house (and it's a pretty small house).

Edgebrook Diner Interior

The interior has been spruced up, although James Dean still holds court above the pie case. For the TV averse, there are two TVs behind the counter that have been tuned to Fox news on most of my visits, but the volume is off most of the time. Soft drinks are hand made using fountain syrup and seltzer and, of course, the old fashioned milk shake machine is still in operation.

There are daily chalkboard specials and I've been working my way through the menu on my handful of visits. I've tried their house made chicken choriso, which was actually better than it sounds & the house made breakfast sausage. I haven't yet tried the biscuits & gravy, but it's on my list for my next visit as is the house smoked pulled pork.

The thing I tried (now three different times) that got me to post is the house made corned beef. The first time I had it, it was as part of corned beef hash and eggs. The corned beef was stellar but outshone the other components of the hash. On my next visit, I tried a Reuben. The Reuben immediately went to the top of my list as the best Reuben in Chicagoland...by a factor of 10 at least.

Edgebrook Diner Reuben

Normally, the Reuben is served on marbled rye, but today they only had normal rye bread, which was fine with me, though not as visual. The corned beef is nice and fatty and cooked in the smoker for 5 hours. I think it rivals the corned beef served at such stalwarts as Jake's or House of Corned Beef in Milwaukee (or just about any other corned beef haven I've ever come across). If you are a corned beef fan, get to Edgebrook Diner as soon as you can.

Along with the sandwich, you get a choice of chips, slaw or fruit. Today I opted for slaw, and was rewarded with this colorful version.

Edgebrook Diner Cole Slaw

I'm very excited to have Edgebrook Diner back in action. It's one of only a few decent places to eat in my immediate neighborhood. Please be aware that the hours are short. They close at 1:30 every day and are closed on Tuesday.

Edgebrook Diner
    6322 N Central Ave
    Chicago, IL 60646
    (773) 657-3974
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #2 - October 3rd, 2013, 9:43 pm
    Post #2 - October 3rd, 2013, 9:43 pm Post #2 - October 3rd, 2013, 9:43 pm
    Hi Steve,

No more fixed stools, just chairs, I guess they can then get more people inside.

When do they open in the morning?

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - October 4th, 2013, 5:12 am
    Post #3 - October 4th, 2013, 5:12 am Post #3 - October 4th, 2013, 5:12 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi Steve,

No more fixed stools, just chairs, I guess they can then get more people inside.

When do they open in the morning?

Thanks!

Regards,

Besides the chairs at the counter, there are now a couple of small tables against the wall. These have been there for at least the last two owners.

Hours are:
    Weekdays - 6:30 AM - 1:30 PM
    Sat & Sun - 7:30 AM - 1:30 PM
    (also sometimes open for Monday Night Football. Call ahead to check)
    Closed Tuesday
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #4 - October 4th, 2013, 12:15 pm
    Post #4 - October 4th, 2013, 12:15 pm Post #4 - October 4th, 2013, 12:15 pm
    Too bad they're back just as we moved out of the neighborhood, but I'm so glad they've returned!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    In the world of apples, Pink Lady runs the whorehouse. ~ James Napoli

Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #5 - October 5th, 2013, 8:48 am
    Post #5 - October 5th, 2013, 8:48 am Post #5 - October 5th, 2013, 8:48 am
    Are they going to change the name back to Edgebrook Diner? For those of us that don't recall Edgebrook Diner and its location, the name of this thread is confusing if they don't. I drove by here last night and wondered where Edgebrook Diner was located since I couldn't recall the address you had posted.

Also, while the Reuben looks great, it really does, the Fox News might keep some away. I'm not sure I can stomach not-Steve Doocy with my eggs.
  • Post #6 - October 5th, 2013, 10:18 am
    Post #6 - October 5th, 2013, 10:18 am Post #6 - October 5th, 2013, 10:18 am
    Most cb is not not smoked, true? Anybody else do this routinely?
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish
    swims with great difficulty.

Jewish haiku.
  • Post #7 - October 5th, 2013, 10:30 am
    Post #7 - October 5th, 2013, 10:30 am Post #7 - October 5th, 2013, 10:30 am
    santo_grace wrote:

Also, while the Reuben looks great, it really does, the Fox News might keep some away. I'm not sure I can stomach not-Steve Doocy with my eggs.

Ditto. Considering the recent thread on TV's in restaurants, this particular photo says more than a thousand words.

However, that Reuben pic cannot be ignored; that is the ultimate Reuben money shot if I've ever seen one. Perfect ratio, it just looks so perfect, and if the corned beef is as described... I'm so there.

-B
  • Post #8 - October 5th, 2013, 12:04 pm
    Post #8 - October 5th, 2013, 12:04 pm Post #8 - October 5th, 2013, 12:04 pm
    kuhdo wrote:Most cb is not not smoked, true? Anybody else do this routinely?

You are correct. Corned beef is usually not smoked and pastrami typically is.

=R=
    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider
  • Post #9 - October 5th, 2013, 1:09 pm
    Post #9 - October 5th, 2013, 1:09 pm Post #9 - October 5th, 2013, 1:09 pm
    stevez wrote:The Reuben immediately went to the top of my list as the best Reuben in Chicagoland...by a factor of 10 at least.

Steve, I seem to recall you've been to Dillman's. Did you have the Reuben there? If so, I'd be interested in how you'd describe the superiority of the Edgebrook version to that one. I haven't been to Edgebrook, although now I want to, but the Reuben at Dillman's was in my experience the best one in Chicagoland. So a Reuben that is not just better but ten times better than the one at Dillman's must be awesome indeed.
  • Post #10 - October 5th, 2013, 2:23 pm
    Post #10 - October 5th, 2013, 2:23 pm Post #10 - October 5th, 2013, 2:23 pm
    kuhdo wrote:Most cb is not not smoked, true? Anybody else do this routinely?

There's really not much (if any) smoke taste in the corned beef. He uses an electric smoker and cooks the corned beef in a covered pan with liquid. Rather than boil it, he goes for the low and slow approach, but I wouldn't call it "smoked".
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #11 - October 5th, 2013, 2:34 pm
    Post #11 - October 5th, 2013, 2:34 pm Post #11 - October 5th, 2013, 2:34 pm
    riddlemay wrote:
    stevez wrote:The Reuben immediately went to the top of my list as the best Reuben in Chicagoland...by a factor of 10 at least.

Steve, I seem to recall you've been to Dillman's. Did you have the Reuben there? If so, I'd be interested in how you'd describe the superiority of the Edgebrook version to that one. I haven't been to Edgebrook, although now I want to, but the Reuben at Dillman's was in my experience the best one in Chicagoland. So a Reuben that is not just better but ten times better than the one at Dillman's must be awesome indeed.

I didn't have a Reuben at Dillman's, but I did have both corned beef and pastrami. I thought the corned beef was very good, the pastrami not so much. To be honest, until you asked this question I hadn't given the Dillman's CB another thought. It's a matter of taste, of course, but I much prefer the unctuous thick cut corned beef at Edgebrook. I'd be interested to get your take. Best or 2nd best, it's a damn fine sandwich.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #12 - October 5th, 2013, 2:46 pm
    Post #12 - October 5th, 2013, 2:46 pm Post #12 - October 5th, 2013, 2:46 pm
    Steve, thanks for the awesome review of my place. I've been working hard not to reinvent or do anything incredibly outside the box, but just serving some of my favorites to order.
    Yes, I use the electric smoker but do not add chips to the mix so there is no smoke in the Corned Beef. I've spent 30 years boiling the stuff but have recently discovered this method not only produces a great tasting product, but also the chew is consistent. I can set a timer so the low and slow starts up and is ready right before service. I love it.
    As for the TV's, well it's customers choice. I put them in specifically so my wife and I wouldn't miss the Bears games on Sunday when I am working. In the morning when I open I usually tune to WGN news to get the local forecasts and such. I get requests for FOX news, MSNBC, Bloomberg as well as College games and a host of others. I don't really care and neither do most guests. Anyone can ask to change the channel or even turn it off.
    Usually at busy times the volume is down and I have the radio on...
    Anyhow, please come check us out and let me know how you like the food. That's what it's about. There is always room for improvement.
    Thanks,
    Chris Burrell
    Owner - Edgebrook Coffee Shop and Diner
  • Post #13 - October 5th, 2013, 2:52 pm
    Post #13 - October 5th, 2013, 2:52 pm Post #13 - October 5th, 2013, 2:52 pm
    Is this available by the pound for take out? With those hours getting in will be tough.
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish

Jewish haiku.
  • Post #14 - October 5th, 2013, 3:39 pm
    Post #14 - October 5th, 2013, 3:39 pm Post #14 - October 5th, 2013, 3:39 pm
    kuhdo wrote:Is this available by the pound for take out? With those hours getting in will be tough.

If you need just a few orders (6oz portions), I usually have enough but if you need a substantial amount please order for the next day pickup.
  • Post #15 - October 5th, 2013, 4:21 pm
    Post #15 - October 5th, 2013, 4:21 pm Post #15 - October 5th, 2013, 4:21 pm
    Will do. Thanks!
    Lacking fins or tail
    The Gefilte fish

Jewish haiku.
  • Post #16 - October 8th, 2013, 8:16 pm
    Post #16 - October 8th, 2013, 8:16 pm Post #16 - October 8th, 2013, 8:16 pm
    stevez wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Hours are:
    Weekdays - 6:30 AM - 1:30 PM
    Sat & Sun - 7:30 AM - 1:30 PM
    (also sometimes open for Monday Night Football. Call ahead to check)
    Closed Tuesday

UGH saw weekdays w/no exceptions listed and (bolding mine) didn't notice the Tuesday closed tucked at the bottom, so tried to go today. :cry:

So just so anyone else doesn't make the same mistake.

Edgebrook Diner is CLOSED ON TUESDAYS !!

Will try tomorrow Wed for lunch
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #17 - October 9th, 2013, 5:44 pm
    Post #17 - October 9th, 2013, 5:44 pm Post #17 - October 9th, 2013, 5:44 pm
    Stopped by around 12:30 for a bite to eat. Was a bit hesitant to pay for the meter as my spider sense was tingling.

Sure enough, they were out of Swiss cheese. In any case I had it with provolone as I was there. Great cb, just the way I like it. Much more Irish American style than Jewish Deli with large pieces. I enjoyed it a lot.

The next guy in the door wasn't so lucky, I got the last of the corned beef. Hopefully he will be back to try it. The owner was very gracious and explained that he has had a bit of a run on cb sandwiches in the last few days! I'm sure he will figure out what quantities he will need to keep on hand fairly soon. As I told him, I wasn't at all mad showing up less than an hour before close to find them low on supplies. It's like going to Honey1 on a Sunday night, maybe you get a slab, maybe you dont!
  • Post #18 - October 13th, 2013, 9:42 pm
    Post #18 - October 13th, 2013, 9:42 pm Post #18 - October 13th, 2013, 9:42 pm
    Long live the new Edgebrook Diner!

Edgebrook Diner Corned Beef Hash

Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
  • Post #19 - October 14th, 2013, 7:33 am
    Post #19 - October 14th, 2013, 7:33 am Post #19 - October 14th, 2013, 7:33 am
    He uses an electric smoker and cooks the corned beef in a covered pan with liquid.
    I hope this doesn't take it too far off topic, but did he explain why he was using a smoker if the meat is covered? Is it not covered the whole time maybe? Either way, the ruben and CBH look great and I'll pay it a visit next time I'm headed down the Kennedy as it's right on my route...
    I love southern food, and comfortable restaurants. I want to serve southern food in a comfortable restaurant. Life is simple.
    http://www.backcountryq.com
    http://thebudlong.com
  • Post #20 - October 14th, 2013, 8:10 am
    Post #20 - October 14th, 2013, 8:10 am Post #20 - October 14th, 2013, 8:10 am
    rubbbqco wrote:
    He uses an electric smoker and cooks the corned beef in a covered pan with liquid.
    I hope this doesn't take it too far off topic, but did he explain why he was using a smoker if the meat is covered? Is it not covered the whole time maybe? Either way, the ruben and CBH look great and I'll pay it a visit next time I'm headed down the Kennedy as it's right on my route...

He uses the smoker strictly for convenience and due to lack of oven space in the tiny kitchen. As he explained, there is no smoke involved in the production of this corned beef.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #21 - October 14th, 2013, 4:03 pm
    Post #21 - October 14th, 2013, 4:03 pm Post #21 - October 14th, 2013, 4:03 pm
    Had the Rueben last week. Delicious sandwich, if the meat had been sliced a bit thinner rather than single blocks of corned beef, it would have been amazing.

Mrs Willie & I went for breakfast this morning. Chicken chorizo hash was polished off ASAP by me. Mrs Willie had the pulled pork hash, sad for her she didn't finish it as I now know what I'm having for breakfast. Her comment to me is she expected a more BBQd flavor to the pulled pork.

We also split a side of the homemade sausage patties, sage heavy, thick & wonderful.

Only downside for breakfast was there is no soda fountain offered. The diet cola mix is squirted from a container than mixed with soda, just doesn't have the same kick as diet Coke or Pepsi. While most prefer coffee with breakfast, I'm a diet soda guy.

We will for sure be back for other items.
  • Post #22 - October 25th, 2013, 1:25 pm
    Post #22 - October 25th, 2013, 1:25 pm Post #22 - October 25th, 2013, 1:25 pm
    after Patty left town, I swore I'd never fall in love with another diner counter. Edgebrook has changed that. His corned beef hash is on par -- and this is lofty praise from me -- with Patty's ham hash.

Really, this place should have a line out the door.
  • Post #23 - October 25th, 2013, 1:31 pm
    Post #23 - October 25th, 2013, 1:31 pm Post #23 - October 25th, 2013, 1:31 pm
    Man o'man, I've been jonesing for that peppery ham hash since Patty left. And...not a ton of places do their own CB hash anymore. If I see it on the menu, I ask if it's homemade, and if not, forget it.

Next time in that vicinity, I will have to stop in. Shasson, have you ever had Manny's Coffee Shop CB hash? If you have, how does Edgebrook's compare?
  • Post #24 - October 25th, 2013, 2:14 pm
    Post #24 - October 25th, 2013, 2:14 pm Post #24 - October 25th, 2013, 2:14 pm
    I haven't had Manny's CB in a hash, no.

And, as GWiv's great picture up-thread shows, Edgebrook's hash is of a different style than Patty's. Not only are the potatoes cut differently, but Edgebrook's potatoes have a fresh herb blend which is more -- and I hesitate to use this term -- refined than Patty's peppery hash (because Patty was a grill-savant and I don't want to suggest her stuff was one note or only rustic). I loved the pepper kick at Patty's, but really enjoyed the blend at Edgebook. At either place, it's all about the great quality salty meat and runny egg and potato mash up.
  • Post #25 - October 25th, 2013, 2:34 pm
    Post #25 - October 25th, 2013, 2:34 pm Post #25 - October 25th, 2013, 2:34 pm
    I stopped in for breakfast this week and had the corned beef hash. I'll say that the texture of the corned beef was absolutely perfect, tender with a nice bit of fat. And I also appreciated how the hash was served in chunks rather than a mushy, indistinguishable lump. That being said, the corned beef I had was a little lacking in the rich corned beef flavor I love - plenty of cure and a good red color, but perhaps not enough spices/pickling in this particular brine. Perhaps it was just an off day in terms of flavor.

The corned beef hash was also served with two eggs, but only one piece of toast. In my opinion, the ratio of eggs to toast should be 1:1.

The diner is a really cute little place with a great long counter to gather and meet new people. But with two large screen televisions just several feet away from the counter, I found the experience a little impersonal (even though the service was very friendly), with people staring at the tv like zombies - just one person's opinion. I thought that was too bad because otherwise, the place is just exploding with charm that's just not readily found these days.
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #26 - October 25th, 2013, 3:44 pm
    Post #26 - October 25th, 2013, 3:44 pm Post #26 - October 25th, 2013, 3:44 pm
    BR wrote:The corned beef hash was also served with two eggs, but only one piece of toast. In my opinion, the ratio of eggs to toast should be 1:1.

You can ask for a 2nd piece of toast if you need it and it's toasted to order; the idea being that your toast should be hot and by the time you get to the 2nd piece, it's usually not. This way, you've got fresh toast all the way through the meal. A nice touch that I really appreciate. I'm also sure that some people only use one slice, so there's a benefit to the restaurant's bottom line as well.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #27 - October 26th, 2013, 11:04 am
    Post #27 - October 26th, 2013, 11:04 am Post #27 - October 26th, 2013, 11:04 am
    Shasson wrote: Not only are the potatoes cut differently....
    I might be mistaken but I think the potatoes in the hash are the same that are fried for the fries that go with lunch.
  • Post #28 - December 5th, 2013, 4:55 pm
    Post #28 - December 5th, 2013, 4:55 pm Post #28 - December 5th, 2013, 4:55 pm
    Went over here today for lunch with a couple of co-workers and I have to say it's just my kind of place. I really loved everything about it.

Cup of Chili
    In addition to great flavor and tender meat, this cotained a nice amount of peppers and onions, which were cooked very well and integrated nicely into the chili. I like that this cup of chili is served in a bowl that is not filled all the way. Pragmatic and sensible.

Buddycakes
    These cakes were ordered by one of my co-workers. I liked the way they straddled the line between savory and sweet.

Corned Beef Hash (side)
    I loved this, especially the large pieces of corned beef. And again, I appreciated the resourcefulness here. The potatoes here are also the fries.

Roasted Veggie & Cheddar Scramble
    My vegetarian co-worker really enjoyed this but I didn't try it.

Reuben Sandwich
    Thoroughly enjoyable in every respect. The corned beef was delicious and I appreciated the tangy-ness of the dressing. The components were really brought together skillfully.

This place, which is just minutes from my office, may have me pining for Patty's a lot less in the future. Thanks, Steve, for the heads up.

=R=
    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French

I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I ain't perfect but God knows I try --Todd Snider
  • Post #29 - December 6th, 2013, 11:53 am
    Post #29 - December 6th, 2013, 11:53 am Post #29 - December 6th, 2013, 11:53 am
    Ronnie, I was there finishing up my chicken-chorizo hash when your group came in. Based on photos on this site, I thought it was you. Then I saw the camera lens....

Funny thing is that I was in there alone for a bit, and planned to head home and get on LTH and remind others to stop in to this gem as it never seems as busy as it should be, given the quality of what's being served. But, once you showed up, I knew I could defer to you.

The proprietor is a really genial guy, and that adds to the overall appeal of the place. but a shout-out to his grill man who is really talented.
  • Post #30 - December 6th, 2013, 3:02 pm
    Post #30 - December 6th, 2013, 3:02 pm Post #30 - December 6th, 2013, 3:02 pm
    Shasson wrote:Ronnie, I was there finishing up my chicken-chorizo hash when your group came in. Based on photos on this site, I thought it was you. Then I saw the camera lens....

Funny thing is that I was in there alone for a bit, and planned to head home and get on LTH and remind others to stop in to this gem as it never seems as busy as it should be, given the quality of what's being served. But, once you showed up, I knew I could defer to you.

The proprietor is a really genial guy, and that adds to the overall appeal of the place. but a shout-out to his grill man who is really talented.

You should have said hello! :)

I agree that the owner, Chris, is very friendly and as he was chatting with a gentleman who came in after us, it became clear that he'd been in the business a long time. If I didn't have to go back to the office, I would have stayed and chatted a bit longer.

I was surprised by how empty it was. I think we arrived just after noon and other than you, we were the only folks in the place. Personally, I plan on making regular visits but it'll mostly be for carry-out, as we almost always eat in the office. But I can also see some breakfast sandwiches in my future.

And yes, a tip of the cap to the grill man. He's a big reason the food is so damned good here.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more