LTH Home

'Mother in Law' = 'Tamale with Chili'

'Mother in Law' = 'Tamale with Chili'
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - February 26th, 2013, 9:37 pm
    Post #91 - February 26th, 2013, 9:37 pm Post #91 - February 26th, 2013, 9:37 pm
    stevez wrote:Did we ever determine if there is a special name for a tamale on a bun sans chili?

I think it's usually called a tamale on a bun. Seriously, I think that's the most common name. But there are so many other names that I'm not certain which is most popular. Tamale dog is one I like. I ought to compile a list of names from all the hot dog stands I can find so I can answer this sort of question more definitively. It would be a significant project though. The nomenclature of tamale±bun±chili is complicated, that's for sure.

It doesn't prove much but I notice the three tamales in buns pictured earlier in this thread—from Henry's Drive In, John's GAR and Home Depot—are all referred to as tamale on a bun on the menus*. Also, the Nicky's menu I posted yesterday in the Big Baby thread uses that term as well.

Panther in the Den wrote:I seem to remember at the now shuttered Parky's on Roosevelt Rd they called it a 'Las Vegas Dog'. I do not know why.

That's a great name; never heard it before. If anyone comes across a photo of the menu please post the link. Is the LVD for those willing to gamble with their digestive systems?

David Hammond wrote:Kind of a shame it's short-term, as a French Market location would be, I believe, the most northerly outpost of the MiL.

Winter-only Mother in Laws aren't unknown around here. Eat local. Eat seasonal.

Don't forget the Mother in Law at Big Jack's, mentioned above, only ten miles from the Wisconsin border and the northernmost use of that term I've found.

* Actually, the menu board at both John's and Nicky's reads tamale on bun but it looks like there may have been space limitations.
  • Post #92 - February 27th, 2013, 12:02 pm
    Post #92 - February 27th, 2013, 12:02 pm Post #92 - February 27th, 2013, 12:02 pm
    River Oaks Gyros serves a food service tamale in a cup of chili with onions but they call it a U-Boat.

River Oaks Gyros
    293 River Oaks Drive
    Calumet City, IL 60406
  • Post #93 - April 28th, 2013, 5:52 pm
    Post #93 - April 28th, 2013, 5:52 pm Post #93 - April 28th, 2013, 5:52 pm
    The Daily Meal, a website I’d never heard of before, recently listed what they consider to be America’s 35 Best Hot Dogs. Fat Johnnie’s Mighty Dog—basically a mother in law plus a skinless David Berg wiener—was named the #1 dog in the country. Crazy.

Despite what Yelp says, Fat Johnnie’s is open for business.

Fat Johnnie’s
    7232 S Western Av
    Chicago
    773-737-6294
  • Post #94 - May 9th, 2013, 11:50 am
    Post #94 - May 9th, 2013, 11:50 am Post #94 - May 9th, 2013, 11:50 am
    Comrade Gebert does Johnny O.

Though it doesn't do much to illuminate the origin of the MiL (which remains a puzzle wrapped in a conundrum served in a bun with chili on top), this is a beautiful portrait of a real Chicagawan.

See if you can spot this thread in the video! Try it! It's fun!!
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #95 - December 18th, 2013, 7:33 pm
    Post #95 - December 18th, 2013, 7:33 pm Post #95 - December 18th, 2013, 7:33 pm
    In an email exchange with Joseph Patrick, co-owner and operator of Eat Jo Dawg (six locations in Dallas), Mr. Patrick mentioned to me his "Sister-In-Law," which is, as he described it, "dawg topped with roasted Hatch green chiles, spiced peaches, and our sweet & savory sauce."
    “Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?”
  • Post #96 - December 18th, 2013, 7:43 pm
    Post #96 - December 18th, 2013, 7:43 pm Post #96 - December 18th, 2013, 7:43 pm
    David Hammond wrote:In an email exchange with Joseph Patrick, co-owner and operator of Eat Jo Dawg (six locations in Dallas), Mr. Patrick mentioned to me his "Sister-In-Law," which is, as he described it, "dawg topped with roasted Hatch green chiles, spiced peaches, and our sweet & savory sauce."

Damn. I'd like to eat his Sister-In-Law.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #97 - December 18th, 2013, 7:45 pm
    Post #97 - December 18th, 2013, 7:45 pm Post #97 - December 18th, 2013, 7:45 pm
    stevez wrote:
    David Hammond wrote:In an email exchange with Joseph Patrick, co-owner and operator of Eat Jo Dawg (six locations in Dallas), Mr. Patrick mentioned to me his "Sister-In-Law," which is, as he described it, "dawg topped with roasted Hatch green chiles, spiced peaches, and our sweet & savory sauce."

Damn. I'd like to eat his Sister-In-Law.

Banner quote for Steve "Hannibal" Zaransky.
  • Post #98 - January 16th, 2014, 2:46 pm
    Post #98 - January 16th, 2014, 2:46 pm Post #98 - January 16th, 2014, 2:46 pm
    It's been a busy news week for the Mother in Law. Mike Sula has been working the tamale beat hard, with stories on Slippery Slope and River Valley Farmer's Table.

A week ago the Scofflaw folks announced the name of their second bar: Slippery Slope. The stripped-down menu will feature little other than the Mother in Law. Reportedly Slippery Slope will open before winter's end. I hope so; it would be only proper to debut with a seasonally appropriate specialty.

At the beginning of January, River Valley opened in the old City Provisions location, to offer an interesting mushroom-focused menu. One real oddity is this unorthodox but tasty Mother in Law, featuring housemade deep-fried tamales covered with portabella chili.

Since Mike Sula's report, they've replaced the sturdy baguette with a toasted but soft and steamy brat bun that works quite well. I wonder if some sort of melted cheese (maybe an upscale nacho cheese sauce?) wouldn't also be an improvement. I love River Valley's 5-cheese garlic spread but it seems a little out of place here.

As Sula points out, "If just one more bar or restaurant puts an upscale mother-in-law on the menu it's a trend." I only hope the Mother in Law doesn't become Chicago's next poutine or chicken and waffles.

Edited to add 3 sentences after the River Valley photo.
    Last edited by Rene G on January 17th, 2014, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #99 - January 16th, 2014, 4:57 pm
    Post #99 - January 16th, 2014, 4:57 pm Post #99 - January 16th, 2014, 4:57 pm
    Peter,

They have offered a limited menu of items in their retail store in Burlington, WI. I have had their portabella chili and several soups as well as their mushroom enchiladas. It has all been pretty good.

However, the star of the show, in my opinion, is the freshness of their mushrooms. They have a crunchiness that you will find nowhere else.
  • Post #100 - January 20th, 2014, 12:01 pm
    Post #100 - January 20th, 2014, 12:01 pm Post #100 - January 20th, 2014, 12:01 pm
    Rene G wrote:I only hope the Mother in Law doesn't become Chicago's next poutine or chicken and waffles.

If that were to happen, we'd know who to blame. :wink:
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #101 - April 17th, 2015, 10:43 am
    Post #101 - April 17th, 2015, 10:43 am Post #101 - April 17th, 2015, 10:43 am
    The Mother in Law is included in "A Field Guide to the American Sandwich" in the New York Times earlier this week.

Sam Sifton wrote:Mother-in-Law
    Found only in Chicago: a cornmeal tamale is nestled on a hot dog bun and covered in chili.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more