LTH Home

chicken boti at khan's [Khan BBQ reopened at new location]

chicken boti at khan's [Khan BBQ reopened at new location]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 13
  • Post #61 - January 19th, 2006, 11:05 am
    Post #61 - January 19th, 2006, 11:05 am Post #61 - January 19th, 2006, 11:05 am
    Hey, at least I didn't say she bowled a century!

I once tried reading CLR James' Beyond a Boundary-- a book about colonialism using cricket as its starting point and prism-- but the actual playing of cricket is so impenetrable to an outsider that I simply couldn't follow the politics, either. Lagaan, which is the Rocky-style, musical version of the same premise, was much easier to enjoy....
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #62 - March 1st, 2006, 8:03 pm
    Post #62 - March 1st, 2006, 8:03 pm Post #62 - March 1st, 2006, 8:03 pm
    Incidentally, as noted in the paczki thread, I had some leftover daal palak (which I see I said above was spinach with corn in it, even though I know daal is lentils) and a few pieces of the tandoori chicken (which is tasty even though not the real thing) which I ate for dinner tonight (alas no naan; and I decided Costco bagels wouldn't do the trick). Anyway I have pretty much decided that Khan BBQ is my favorite spot on Devon. Partly it's being amused by the total lack of atmosphere (though not smoke) and, on occasion, being glowered at from across the room (though actual interactions with them are unfailingly polite). But mainly it's that the food is so good, simple and on the nose-- it's the Edgebrook Diner of Indian restaurants.

Plus this is just a really great thread to read through, very evocative posts scattered throughout. Anyway, Khan BBQ, if you haven't been, go!
  • Post #63 - March 11th, 2006, 10:18 pm
    Post #63 - March 11th, 2006, 10:18 pm Post #63 - March 11th, 2006, 10:18 pm
    It's been almost two-months since my first visit to Khan's. I found myself nearby Devon tonight and planned to eat at Chopal, but chose Khan's instead.

Business was a bit slow when I arrived at about 7 p.m. Since my attempt to order Chicken Boti went awry last time, I made certain Mr. Khan understood what I wanted. With the Chicken Boti I ordered the onion Naan, and a Diet Pepsi.

With the meal came a lettuce cucumber salad, which a helper brought over. Shortly after the salad arrived the helper arrived with a plate of Chicken (something) and placed it in front of me. As I began to protest, that this wasn't what I'd ordered - the man said, "On the house." I looked over to Mr. Khan, who called out, "Sorry for the problem last time." I was surprised that he remembered the mix-up before - and was pleased with the gesture.

The Chicken Boti arrived, and I ate one piece, and said to myself (and almost aloud), "This is the worst chicken dish I've ever tasted." And it was. It's something I'll not order again, nor will I recommend it to anyone (wanting to try it at Khan's).

The air in the room was clear - no smoke, and things were a bit quiet, and the second experience didn't match the first. It was just okay. I probably should have eaten at Chopal.

I'll go back though, because I want to try some other menu items. It's almost worth a trip just for the onion naan.

By the way, it was quiet in most of the Devon Ave. restaurants/shops - I walked from Khan's to Kedzie Ave., and there wasn't much happening - except at Tiffin (which was full and had a line of about 15 more people waiting to be seated). The new location of Usmaniya seemed to be doing a brisk business, also.
  • Post #64 - March 11th, 2006, 10:39 pm
    Post #64 - March 11th, 2006, 10:39 pm Post #64 - March 11th, 2006, 10:39 pm
    What, in particular, made it the worst chicken dish you'd ever had? Dried out? Poorly seasoned? Burnt-tasting?

I've never had it, just curious.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #65 - April 6th, 2006, 1:27 pm
    Post #65 - April 6th, 2006, 1:27 pm Post #65 - April 6th, 2006, 1:27 pm
    LTH,

Bad news, Khan BBQ had a fire and, from my look in the window, it's a total loss. Ceiling and walls were fire gutted, cooking area just about gone and total rubble in the dinning area.

Like I said, bad news.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #66 - April 6th, 2006, 1:33 pm
    Post #66 - April 6th, 2006, 1:33 pm Post #66 - April 6th, 2006, 1:33 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Enjoy,
    Gary

Do you really mean to say "Enjoy"?

First it was my beloved Hong Min, and now this?

:cry:

E.M.
  • Post #67 - April 6th, 2006, 1:36 pm
    Post #67 - April 6th, 2006, 1:36 pm Post #67 - April 6th, 2006, 1:36 pm
    Erik M. wrote:
    Gary

Erik,

Thought about switching to ~sorry~, but it wasn't my fault, really.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #68 - April 6th, 2006, 1:37 pm
    Post #68 - April 6th, 2006, 1:37 pm Post #68 - April 6th, 2006, 1:37 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Erik M. wrote:
    Gary

Erik,

Thought about switching to ~sorry~, but it wasn't my fault, really.

Enjoy,
    Gary

LOL!!

E.M.
  • Post #69 - April 6th, 2006, 1:41 pm
    Post #69 - April 6th, 2006, 1:41 pm Post #69 - April 6th, 2006, 1:41 pm
    G Wiv wrote:LTH,

Bad news, Khan BBQ had a fire and, from my look in the window, it's a total loss. Ceiling and walls were fire gutted, cooking area just about gone and total rubble in the dinning area.

Like I said, bad news.

Enjoy,
    Gary

:( indeed.

I was walking by there on Saturday and came this close to stopping in for lunch. But, no, I figured I'd have plenty of chances to try it some other time soon.

Very sad news. I wonder if Mr. Khan will reopen?
  • Post #70 - April 6th, 2006, 2:05 pm
    Post #70 - April 6th, 2006, 2:05 pm Post #70 - April 6th, 2006, 2:05 pm
    HI,

Was the fire today or from over the weekend? There was a fire on Devon over the weekend or maybe just before. They had the address in the print report, which I searched here and didn't find a match.

I do hope he has good insurance. He still has kids he's raising, so this is likely a major blow to their income.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #71 - April 6th, 2006, 6:56 pm
    Post #71 - April 6th, 2006, 6:56 pm Post #71 - April 6th, 2006, 6:56 pm
    The one thing that was not damaged was the new sign, which I swear wasn't there when I last ate there early last week.

This is really too bad, Khan BBQ had become my favorite spot on Devon, partly because this thread brought it to life for me so well. I loved, slightly perversely, the ways in which it would have scared off the average gringo walking in the door-- the thick hang of smoke from the ovens, which often meant opening the door in December, the blaring Pakistani TV programs, and the main waiter, who had a dark, glowering countenance even though he was in fact never less than completely courteous. I loved those things about it, and enjoyed feeling I was braving its un-Chicagoized ways while others went to eat Lincoln Park-Mexi-Indian food at Hema's around the corner. I hope it is back soon, and not "improved" in the process.
  • Post #72 - April 6th, 2006, 9:05 pm
    Post #72 - April 6th, 2006, 9:05 pm Post #72 - April 6th, 2006, 9:05 pm
    Damn

btw, Mike, there are any number of ther places on devon that will give you a non-gringoite feel -start exploring, you've done hyderabad house, have you had pakwan, sheeshmahal dhaba, j&k grill, etc.?
  • Post #73 - April 6th, 2006, 9:11 pm
    Post #73 - April 6th, 2006, 9:11 pm Post #73 - April 6th, 2006, 9:11 pm
    Well, I guess I'll be doing more exploring now, that's for sure...
  • Post #74 - April 25th, 2006, 12:28 pm
    Post #74 - April 25th, 2006, 12:28 pm Post #74 - April 25th, 2006, 12:28 pm
    Signs in the windows of the former Jewel of India announce the imminent arrival of Khan BBQ at that location.

There is a God.

E.M.
  • Post #75 - April 25th, 2006, 12:37 pm
    Post #75 - April 25th, 2006, 12:37 pm Post #75 - April 25th, 2006, 12:37 pm
    HI,

Wow that is a substantially bigger space and much better location at the southwest corner of Western and Devon.

I wonder if they will keep the low table with pillow cushion seats, so we can eat BBQ while pretending we are pashas.

Thanks for the truly good news.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #76 - April 25th, 2006, 1:31 pm
    Post #76 - April 25th, 2006, 1:31 pm Post #76 - April 25th, 2006, 1:31 pm
    >Signs in the windows of the former Jewel of India announce the imminent arrival of Khan BBQ at that location.<

But what about the terroir of the old location?
    Harry V.
  • Post #77 - April 25th, 2006, 1:40 pm
    Post #77 - April 25th, 2006, 1:40 pm Post #77 - April 25th, 2006, 1:40 pm
    Harry V. wrote:>Signs in the windows of the former Jewel of India announce the imminent arrival of Khan BBQ at that location.<

But what about the terroir of the old location?

Hey, Mods, how does the scoring system work around here?

I deserve massive points for raising Harry V. from the deep.

;)

E.M.
  • Post #78 - April 25th, 2006, 2:01 pm
    Post #78 - April 25th, 2006, 2:01 pm Post #78 - April 25th, 2006, 2:01 pm
    Erik M. wrote:I deserve massive points for raising Harry V. from the deep.

;)

Erik,

4.3 points, would be more but Harry V always pokes his head in this time of year for the Bunny Hutch announcement. This includes a .3 deduction for beating me out on the Khan BBQ reopening. :)

I had lunch at Hyderabad House and saw the sign.

Enjoy,
    Gary

(Not yet open, but soon)
    Khan BBQ
    2401 W Devon

[edited to reflect correct address, thanks Eldon]
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #79 - June 2nd, 2006, 6:28 pm
    Post #79 - June 2nd, 2006, 6:28 pm Post #79 - June 2nd, 2006, 6:28 pm
    Does anyone have any guesstimate as to when Kahn's BBQ might be reopening?

It was on the "list" of places that sazerac suggested we try while on our trip to Chicago.
  • Post #80 - June 2nd, 2006, 7:43 pm
    Post #80 - June 2nd, 2006, 7:43 pm Post #80 - June 2nd, 2006, 7:43 pm
    I drove by it yesterday looking for clues. Signage just says "soon," state of renovations suggests none too soon. Sorry...
  • Post #81 - June 3rd, 2006, 5:54 pm
    Post #81 - June 3rd, 2006, 5:54 pm Post #81 - June 3rd, 2006, 5:54 pm
    Sorry to hear that. Oh well, maybe next time. Thanks!
  • Post #82 - June 17th, 2006, 6:46 pm
    Post #82 - June 17th, 2006, 6:46 pm Post #82 - June 17th, 2006, 6:46 pm
    Driving back from pre-dinner at La Unica, I noticed a "grand reopening" sign at Khan's new location. Making a sudden u-turn, blocking all traffic, I parked illegally and popped inside.

Probably for the better, Khan's has lost some of its original charm. I was immediately warmly greeted by the bow tie (was I hallucinating?) wait staff. The room is actually quite attractive, with about twelve comfortable looking tables, with perhaps even some sort of center pieces. The open-to-view kitchen was well lit and sparkled in its cleanliness. I asked someone who seemed to be in charge when they opened and he told me today. No smoke, nor did I see the inimcable Mr. Kahn.

Seeing that I was double parked on Devon Ave. I probably spent no more than 20 seconds in the restaurant, so don't hold me to any facts. I wasn't even sure I was really in the new Khan's until I looked at the menu I took with me -- sure enough, Khan's is reopen and I'm looking forward to lunch sometime this week. How 'bout you?

-ramon
    Last edited by Ramon on June 18th, 2006, 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #83 - June 17th, 2006, 9:26 pm
    Post #83 - June 17th, 2006, 9:26 pm Post #83 - June 17th, 2006, 9:26 pm
    Ramon,

Did you see two large very low tables to the rear with cushions to sit on? They were there during the Jewel of India era.

Glad they've re-opened. I look forward to visiting soon.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #84 - June 17th, 2006, 11:00 pm
    Post #84 - June 17th, 2006, 11:00 pm Post #84 - June 17th, 2006, 11:00 pm
    C2,

While I didn't truly double park on Devon (that would be world-class-ass thing to do), I honestly spent less than a minute at Khan's by family necessity (pesky varmints that they be). I can still state with confidence that the low tables were not there. Sounds like that is a loss. I hope I'm wrong.

(Still no Bunny Hutch announcement! Looked closed to me on my fly by today. I'm hoping to play miniature golf there with Ramonita tomorrow, may, or may not, inquire.)

-ramon
    Last edited by Ramon on June 18th, 2006, 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #85 - June 18th, 2006, 12:15 am
    Post #85 - June 18th, 2006, 12:15 am Post #85 - June 18th, 2006, 12:15 am
    Ramon wrote:((Still no Bunny Hutch announcement! Looked closed to me on my fly by today. I'm hoping to play miniature golf there with Ramonita tomorrow, may, or may not, inquire.))

Ramon,

Thanks for the Reminder

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #86 - June 19th, 2006, 7:11 am
    Post #86 - June 19th, 2006, 7:11 am Post #86 - June 19th, 2006, 7:11 am
    Ramon wrote:I was immediately warmly greeted by the bow tie (was I hallucinating?) wait staff.

Ramon,

No bow ties in evidence yesterday (Sunday), but I was most certainly greeted warmly. Quite a different atmosphere at the new location, while I loved the rough and tumble charm of the old, I'm appreciative of the new as well.

As you say, the new Khan BBQ has a spotless open kitchen.

But the real question, of course, is how's the Chicken Boti at the new place? Very good, same flavor as always, though the chicken itself did not seem to have the textural interplay/degree of crisp of old. I attribute this directly to Khan only being open in the new location a couple of days and am sure in short order they will be back up to full speed.

Chicken Boti

The owner was there and, as soon as I asked permission to take his picture, he associated me with Cathy2 and inquired to her health and happiness.

Count me among those who are very happy Khan B.B.Q has reopened!

Enjoy,
    Gary

Khan B.B.Q
    2401 W Devon (New Post Fire Address)
    Chicago, IL 60645
    773-338-2800
    773-247-8600
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #87 - June 19th, 2006, 8:09 am
    Post #87 - June 19th, 2006, 8:09 am Post #87 - June 19th, 2006, 8:09 am
    G Wiv wrote:No bow ties in evidence yesterday (Sunday)...

No, no bow ties, but my very handsome waiter was wearing a tuxedo shirt and tuxedo trousers.

And, my order of chicken boti was perfect.

I am so happy to have Khan's back.

My sometime Sunday routine has now been restored.*

E.M.

* Last night, I once again enjoyed a couple pints of Guinness and a brief visit with Penelope at Cary's Lounge, before a meal at Khan's.
  • Post #88 - June 19th, 2006, 8:37 am
    Post #88 - June 19th, 2006, 8:37 am Post #88 - June 19th, 2006, 8:37 am
    HI,

Gary wrote:The owner was there and, as soon as I asked permission to take his picture, he associated me with Cathy2 and inquired to her health and happiness.

That's wonderful. I imagine he associates both of us back to last summer when independent of each other, both influenced by Zim's post, coincidentally each wearing black, showed up to order and take pictures of his Chicken Boti 10 hours apart. How often to the moons line up so perfectly?

I can only imagine he will inquire about your health and happiness when I arrive on my own. Though actually we have been concerned about his health and happiness since the fire.

The low tables with the cushion seats I was inquiring about, they were located approximately where the open kitchen sits. Oh, well I'd rather eat the food than break my back sitting on cushions for an extended period of time.

Thanks again for the report.

Regards,
    Cathy2

• Post #89 - June 19th, 2006, 12:37 pm
    Post #89 - June 19th, 2006, 12:37 pm Post #89 - June 19th, 2006, 12:37 pm
    So, I can now add Khan's back onto our list of Indian places to try on our upcoming trip???

We are looking forward to it!
  • Post #90 - June 28th, 2006, 7:42 am
    Post #90 - June 28th, 2006, 7:42 am Post #90 - June 28th, 2006, 7:42 am
    petit pois and I stopped in to visit the new Khan BBQ and had a lovely dinner of chicken boti, bihari kebab, aloo gobi, and naan.

Everything was quite delicious, as usual and as expected. The fresh naan were among the best that I've had in recent memory.

Bihari kebab is a dish that still puzzles me. I love the flavor of the charred marinated meat, but I often find it over-marinated to the point that the center of the cuts of meat begin to disintergrate and take on a pasty quality. I have seen this so often that I can only assume that it is this way "by design", but I'm hoping that someone else can shed a little light on how this dish is properly prepared.

I, too, enjoyed the no-frills atmosphere of the old Khan BBQ, but my wife appreciates the new atmosphere, which means that I'll get to eat there more often. So, by default, I love the atmosphere of the new Khan BBQ.

Allow me to add to the chorus of cheers. Welcome back, Khan BBQ.

Best,
    Michael

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more