LTH Home

The Dawson, if you love this game

The Dawson, if you love this game
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • The Dawson, if you love this game

Post #1 - July 30th, 2014, 10:51 pm
    Post #1 - July 30th, 2014, 10:51 pm Post #1 - July 30th, 2014, 10:51 pm
    I'm not finding a dedicated thread to The Dawson but some hawk-eyed community member might. I enjoyed a meal there last week, and I think they have 2009 absolutely nailed, and I mean that as a compliment: smoked paprika deviled eggs, togarashi fries, mounds of salted shishito peppers, butcher-board burger with runny egg, hot sausage plate, cola cocktail. Reading the place's history on the wider 'net it seems like they've already been through some transitions, but I really like the space, service was good, and the small plate prices and comfortingly salty, smoky flavors were rewarding. Are any of the big / pricier entrees worth checking this season? It's near enough to the Paramount Room, which I also still frequent and enjoy, and which is not dissimilar in openers and burger.

The Dawson
    730 W Grand Ave
    .279 lifetime
    http://the-dawson.com
  • Post #2 - July 31st, 2014, 5:57 am
    Post #2 - July 31st, 2014, 5:57 am Post #2 - July 31st, 2014, 5:57 am
    Only been there once but the Roasted Halibut was just about perfect. I can't remember what appetizers we got, pretty forgettable. Cocktails were hit-or-miss I thought.
  • Post #3 - August 2nd, 2014, 1:17 pm
    Post #3 - August 2nd, 2014, 1:17 pm Post #3 - August 2nd, 2014, 1:17 pm
    We had a work outing there last week, about 10 of us. Pleasant summertime spot, appetizers were solid but not outstanding. Easy to find meter parking two half-blocks away on Hubbard east of Union. I'd definitely return once a summer.

But I'm starting to show my age, as one of my analysts had no idea who Richard Dawson was.
    "Fried chicken should unify us, as opposed to tearing us apart. " - Bomani Jones
  • Post #4 - May 15th, 2019, 8:19 am
    Post #4 - May 15th, 2019, 8:19 am Post #4 - May 15th, 2019, 8:19 am
    Had dinner recently prior to attending Steppenwolf

Wood Fired Oysters were a bit small, the giardiniera butter was overwhelming to the flavor of the oysters, perhaps if the oysters were larger or not as much butter.

I had a Mother's Day special of lobster pappardelle w/thermidor sauce. Really tasty, lobster was overcooked but all else was delicious. (I had been hoping to try a special that The Dawson was serving for James Beard week, Gambas al Ajillo, but it was not to be as menu had been changed by time we went).

Mrs Willie had wood fired pork chop, with a roasted poblano stuffed with chihuahua grits, w/ a guajillo demi glaze. Cooked perfectly, tasty dish.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more