LTH Home

Chicago Ramen

Chicago Ramen
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - January 6th, 2018, 4:33 am
    Post #91 - January 6th, 2018, 4:33 am Post #91 - January 6th, 2018, 4:33 am
    Well, it seems another event has slid to a different time of year. In this case, it is Ramenfest. This used to be in November, but for 2018, it is slated for Sunday, 18 February. It is still @ Urbanbelly {1400 W. Randolph St.; Chicago, IL. 60607}. If you did not click through back there, it will cost $78.62, and start at 12:01 pm.
    Another element which also has not changed is that its twenty-three participating restaurants are not ramen shacks, or even Japanese cuisinal restaurants.
    1. Barry Sorkin | Smoque BBQ
    2. Giuseppe Tentori | GT Prime
    3. AJ Walker | Publican Anker
    4. Stephanie Izard | Little Goat
    5. Julie Warpinski | Big Star
    6. Dan Snowden | Bad Hunter
    7. Christine Cikowski & Joshua Kulp | Honey Butter Fried Chicken
    8. Pat Sheerin | City Mouse
    9. Nick Lacasse | Half Acre
    10. John Manion | El Che Bar
    11. Jimmy Bannos | Heaven on Seven
    12. Mathias Merges | Gideon Sweet
    13. Dan Salls | Quiote
    14. Eric Michael | Regards to Edith
    15. Jimmy Papadopoulos | Bellemore
    16. John Shields | Smyth
    17. Mark Steur | Funkenhausen
    18. Mike Brockman | Woodstone Ovens
    19. Brenton Balika | Margeaux Brasserie
    20. Jason Hammel | Lula Cafe
    21. Toni Robertson | The Peninsula
    22. Carrie Nahabedian | Naha
    23. Rick Ortiz & Diego Cruz | Antique Taco
    (I wonder: Are ramen shacks even invited, or do they need to apply to the organizers?)
    Oops. I forgot to buy a ticket for this. :oops: However, I think they will release a second batch of General Admission tickets before 18 February.
    Learn what Bing prefers you not know:
  • Post #92 - January 6th, 2018, 1:24 pm
    Post #92 - January 6th, 2018, 1:24 pm Post #92 - January 6th, 2018, 1:24 pm
    We were at Oiistar a couple weeks ago for dinner and really enjoyed the spicy veggimen ramen and the mushroom buns.

It was a crazy cold night and the ramen really hit the spot prior to heading to the Den Theater.
  • Post #93 - January 7th, 2018, 10:04 am
    Post #93 - January 7th, 2018, 10:04 am Post #93 - January 7th, 2018, 10:04 am
    Maybe it was because I'm 2 weeks into a cold, maybe it was because I like salt way more than most people, but I thought the Oiistar classic was lacking a little flavor. The broth was great on its own, but the noodles were bland and dragged the bowl down for me. I sat at the counter by the kitchen and used some of the hoisin and sriracha which helped, but to me it specifically lacked salt. I don't have a high spice tolerance, so I don't think going to the spicy bowl would help.

The plusses: the pork belly was silky, the egg was still runny. (Not sure if it went into the bowl hot or not, I tend to save them til the middle - end.) I got the upgrade of fried chicken thigh which was terrific - especially with a dab of hoisin. The waiter was friendly and recommended the Forbidden Root ginger beer, which was great. (It's actually beer brewed with ginger rather than a soda-type ginger beer.)

I tried to finish the bowl, couldn't quite do it. I'll go back, but bring more people with me so we can try the buns too.