LTH Home

life is good here - lunch in the Loop

life is good here - lunch in the Loop
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - October 5th, 2017, 12:30 pm
    Post #61 - October 5th, 2017, 12:30 pm Post #61 - October 5th, 2017, 12:30 pm
    We broke out of the routine rut today (it takes a while when you have 10-12 regular spots) and tried the French Lunchbox in the French Market. We now have a new regular offering.

It's mostly massive stuffed baked potatoes, but he also makes daily French style gnocchi - ironically not with potato - in different flavors and will mix/match things on a whim. The clam chowder also rocked the palette.

We split the shepard's pie potato and a bowl of the chowder. Definitely going back next week to explore more options (although I wouldn't hesitate to redo that combo).

Two other new(ish) places in the FM are Street - Steam & Smoke and Woodfire seem to be getting decent reviews, so they'll be on the tryout list as well.
  • Post #62 - December 22nd, 2017, 3:08 pm
    Post #62 - December 22nd, 2017, 3:08 pm Post #62 - December 22nd, 2017, 3:08 pm
    IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    I went to the new Vietnamese restaurant, Lotus Bahn Mi (166 W. Washington) which replaced the previous Bahn Mi shop Ba Le (which I never tried).

Sadly, they have turned the menu into a self selection exercise, as so many places do now. I resented it quite a bit.

I like a chef thinking about what goes on the sandwich FOR me, especially when it comes to a Bahn Mi, which has a bunch of ingredients I am not intimately familar with. What goes best with Basil meatballs? I don't know! You tell me. The girls dishing it out just nod when you ask. They are not going to recommend anything. To them, it is all good, move along!

The ingredients were all good, but my resentment lingered. Not sure I will go back. I may just take the extra time and go down to Saigon Sisters, where they make some decisions FOR me.

I did get the Steve Dolinsky recommended spring rolls and was underwhelmed.
  • Post #63 - January 2nd, 2018, 4:07 pm
    Post #63 - January 2nd, 2018, 4:07 pm Post #63 - January 2nd, 2018, 4:07 pm
    Vinny wrote:Drinkwise, the bar at Cavanaugh's in the Monadnock Building (Dearborn/Jackson) tends to fill up at happy hour and usually carries a couple of Revolution offerings on tap. If you want dark and dank, try Brando's Speakeasy on Dearborn near Van Buren at early happy hour. Almost has a neighborhood tavern vibe, but they do start karaoke in the evenings.

Cavanaugh’s closed just before Christmas, ending a 28-year run at the Monadack Building, 53 W. Jackson Boulevard. The tavern served pub food, cocktails, and beer.

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/1/2/1684 ... sures-2018
    "Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate!"
    Paul Lynde

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events