LTH Home

El Habanero - Pambazos, Pozole, and Gorditas... OH MY!

El Habanero - Pambazos, Pozole, and Gorditas... OH MY!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • El Habanero - Pambazos, Pozole, and Gorditas... OH MY!

Post #1 - August 18th, 2015, 2:28 pm
    Post #1 - August 18th, 2015, 2:28 pm Post #1 - August 18th, 2015, 2:28 pm
    All -

A friend took us to El Habanero last night up in Logan Square for a weekly under $15 night we do. He had frequented it for the past year and had rave reviews. I was surprised to see nothing on here about this place as I think it has some elements of a GNR. However, after only one visit I will withhold full judgement.

We made the trip and were warmly greeted by Lorena who I later learned was the owner. She was a delight to interact with all night as she helped us with our Spanish and guided us through some of the origins of the dishes on the menu.

My friend did the ordering for us and it was one hit after another.

We shared:

- Pozole Verde - Not entirely sure if I have had this dish before but it was just hitting the spot on a hot summer night. Nice and light broth with good depth of flavor. It comes in a large portion that is easily more than enough for two people to split. Also comes with a side bowl of garnishes including oregano, red chili pepper flakes, lettuce, and lime. There was a lot of chicken and hominy to make this a fairly substantial dish as well. I think this was ~$7.95 and well worth it.

- Pambazo with Chorizo and potatoes - Another item I had not had previously but really really enjoyed. Essentially this is a sandwich where they dip the breading in a guajillo sauce and then I think they fry/griddle* it a little and then stuff with the filling of your choice. We had the potatoes and chorizo and it was delicious. Not too greasy and oddly it did not seem too heavy.

- Gordita with Poblano peppers Lorena informed us that all their masa is made in house and that these were made to order. It showed as everything had tons of flavor from the nicely griddled shell to the delicious poblano and cheesy filling inside. Yum!

Going to be hard to not re-order that entire list next time I go. To me this place represents what I love about eating in Chicago - fun and friendly owners putting out delicious food with soul at a really fair price.

Also, my friend mentioned that they have raised prices but I commented that it was still a heck of a deal for 5 of us getting out of there for around $10 a person.

* I may have made that up as I thought I heard her say that but cannot confirm nor deny as I pretty much went into a food induced blackout where all I could think about was my next bite. It happens.

Enjoy!

El Habanero
    3300 W Fullerton Ave, Chicago, IL 60647
    (773) 227-9225
  • Post #2 - January 15th, 2018, 2:15 pm
    Post #2 - January 15th, 2018, 2:15 pm Post #2 - January 15th, 2018, 2:15 pm
    jpeac2 wrote:My friend did the ordering for us and it was one hit after another.

A friend took me there for lunch and even though it was just a single visit, I share your enthusiasm for the food and service at El Habanero. He ordered and we shared 3 items, all of which I'd happily order again . . .

Picadillo Enchiladas Verdes
    Really flavorful stuff, including the salad of carrot ribbons, beans and rice. I thought the picadillo had particularly nice flavor.

Chilaquiles Verdes Con Huevos
    Loved the flavors here and the varying textures of the tortillas - everything from delectably drenched to crispy and light.

Pambazo Carne Asada
    A great sandwich that, I agree, was much lighter than it looks. This could make you forget even your most favorite torta ahogada.

I also want to mention that 2 salsas and chips (not pictured) were also excellent. The verde was roasty and fiery and full of life. The roja was more of a paste with heavy but pleasant garlic note, served cold.

So close to home. Had driven by numerous times and wondered. Now, I cannot wait to return.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - August 4th, 2018, 2:16 pm
    Post #3 - August 4th, 2018, 2:16 pm Post #3 - August 4th, 2018, 2:16 pm
    Still going strong over at El Habanero . . .

Asada Pambazo @ El Habanero, 18.0802

I was told by our server, who I'm pretty sure is also the owner, that the Asada Pambazo also includes some chorizo. That addition really amped up the flavor. Using chorizo as a condiment is inspired genius!

Pambazos are kind of like Tortas Ahogadas but one difference is that they're grilled after they're dipped, which produces synergistic results in both flavor and texture. And at El Habanero they're grilled really nicely, too. 15 minutes after this sandwich was served, tapping the roll with the side of my knife still produced drum-like thump.

This was the centerpiece of an utterly delicious lunch that also included some Chilaquiles Rojos, with a trio of beautifully cooked over-easy eggs and a delectable Lengua Taco, ordered by my companion, that featured sticky-soft-unctuous-crispy lengua and warm, aromatic corn tortillas. I can't wait to order a couple for myself next time I'm there.

=R=
  • Post #4 - August 9th, 2018, 9:04 am
    Post #4 - August 9th, 2018, 9:04 am Post #4 - August 9th, 2018, 9:04 am
    Dug the genial owner, food, atmosphere, lengua, Pambazos and pretty much ever thing about El Habanero. Not hyperbole on Ronnie's part, fifteen minutes in the pambazo was still crisp and delicious. This is one terrific sandwich.

ElHabanero3.jpg Pambazo w/rice & beans

ElHabanero2.jpg Chilaquiles Rojos

ElHabanero1.jpg Lengua Taco

El Habanero, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - August 14th, 2018, 7:49 pm
    Post #5 - August 14th, 2018, 7:49 pm Post #5 - August 14th, 2018, 7:49 pm
    Went to El Habanero last night because of this thread - pambazo exactly as pictured above and terrific. Everything really is a cut above here - the rice, the beans, horchata, salsas were all excellent. Thanks for turning me on to this spot!
  • Post #6 - October 15th, 2018, 11:00 pm
    Post #6 - October 15th, 2018, 11:00 pm Post #6 - October 15th, 2018, 11:00 pm
    Had a wonderful meal here. Every dish was delicious and distinctive. Plus, everyone there could not have been friendlier or more interested in making sure that we were happy.
  • Post #7 - May 6th, 2019, 9:21 am
    Post #7 - May 6th, 2019, 9:21 am Post #7 - May 6th, 2019, 9:21 am
    Tried this place last night after reading about it here. It was really good. Had the papas y chorizo Pambazo. Wife had carne asada nachos. Both were delicious.

Cash only which I didn't realize, but there's a Walgreens half a block away with an ATM.
  • Post #8 - December 16th, 2019, 8:44 pm
    Post #8 - December 16th, 2019, 8:44 pm Post #8 - December 16th, 2019, 8:44 pm
    Made my maiden journey today. The Al Pastor Pambazo is another gem I wouldn't have found without this board. The owner provided a little history, pambazo being from Mexico City in the 60's and meaning poor man sandwich. The rice and beans were no slouch either. I also enjoyed the gratis garlic packed red salsa paste.

I tried to attach an image of the cross section of pambazo but am getting error message 'image file...is invalid.' Any tips to attach images from Galaxy s10?
    "And if you don't know, now you know." -BIG
  • Post #9 - December 16th, 2019, 8:54 pm
    Post #9 - December 16th, 2019, 8:54 pm Post #9 - December 16th, 2019, 8:54 pm
    mkess wrote:I tried to attach an image of the cross section of pambazo but am getting error message 'image file...is invalid.' Any tips to attach images from Galaxy s10?

It probably means the pic isn't automatically re-sizing correctly, which our forum software should do (but doesn't always do correctly). If you can resize it to 800 pixels wide or less, it will likely work. Or, if you send me the pic, I can add it to your post.

Thanks,

=R=
    for LTH
  • Post #10 - April 15th, 2022, 12:24 pm
    Post #10 - April 15th, 2022, 12:24 pm Post #10 - April 15th, 2022, 12:24 pm
    I'm chagrined to say that I hadn't been to El Habanero since the 'before times' but with Lula Cafe now closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, I and a couple of friends needed a place to lunch on Wednesday. Ironically, El Habanero used to be closed on Wednesdays but they're now open Monday - Saturday. For those of you keeping score at home, I hope this was helpful. :D

The salient aspect here is that the food at El Habanero remains as delicious as ever. For me, the star of the show was the signature item . . .

Carne Asada & Chorizo Pambazo
    Not only were the fillings fantastic but the bread was so perfectly crisp and light, it reverberated like a drum when I tapped it with my fork.

But equally delicious were the tender, rich and unctuous tacos de lengua . . .

Tacos De Lengua

Neither of my friends had been there before but they seemed to really enjoy it, too. Like many (smaller) places, they're struggling a bit right now so if you're already a fan or looking to try a place that's new to you, El Habanero should fit the bill.

One additional note: I think they may now accept Zelle and Chase Quickpay but definitely not credit cards. So, best to bring cash if you want to play it safe.

=R=
  • Post #11 - April 15th, 2022, 3:23 pm
    Post #11 - April 15th, 2022, 3:23 pm Post #11 - April 15th, 2022, 3:23 pm
    We did p/u from them quite a few times during plague. Always a winner but will admit chilaquiles don't travel as well as pambazo. The texture suffers after 10 mins in a container, but the flavor was still sapinchebroso.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #12 - May 26th, 2023, 7:20 pm
    Post #12 - May 26th, 2023, 7:20 pm Post #12 - May 26th, 2023, 7:20 pm
    Burglarized twice in the last couple wks so they set up a go fund me pg. Help a hermano out - https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/05/26/burglarized-twice-in-2-weeks-el-habanero-owners-ask-logan-square-community-for-help/
  • Post #13 - May 30th, 2023, 2:37 pm
    Post #13 - May 30th, 2023, 2:37 pm Post #13 - May 30th, 2023, 2:37 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Burglarized twice in the last couple wks so they set up a go fund me pg. Help a hermano out - https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/05/26/burglarized-twice-in-2-weeks-el-habanero-owners-ask-logan-square-community-for-help/

Go Fund Me page here: https://gofund.me/a6cbfcdb

=R=
  • Post #14 - June 15th, 2023, 10:13 pm
    Post #14 - June 15th, 2023, 10:13 pm Post #14 - June 15th, 2023, 10:13 pm
    Looks like there's a suspect in custody. https://cwbchicago.com/2023/06/chicago-man-accused-of-eight-more-restaurant-burglaries.html
  • Post #15 - June 16th, 2023, 12:56 pm
    Post #15 - June 16th, 2023, 12:56 pm Post #15 - June 16th, 2023, 12:56 pm

then ran into a building and tried to escape by jumping from the third floor. Police arrested him after he landed ungracefully.

Perfect adverb usage
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #16 - July 13th, 2023, 2:25 pm
    Post #16 - July 13th, 2023, 2:25 pm Post #16 - July 13th, 2023, 2:25 pm
    I don't think it's a big deal but I stopped by today during posted business hours only to find El Habanero locked up and dark, with the chairs turned up on the tables. There was a note on the door but I couldn't read it clearly. Point is, don't panic but do call first. Guessing that like many places, hours are somewhat erratic these days and subject to factors that are not always under management's control.

=R=
  • Post #17 - July 14th, 2023, 3:25 am
    Post #17 - July 14th, 2023, 3:25 am Post #17 - July 14th, 2023, 3:25 am
    It appears burglaries may be affecting small restaurant owners and schedules.
    Sap Sap in Racine had at least two consecutive break ins with items and cash stolen.
    Sap Sap has severely curtailed business at their location, no sit down service, order ahead, limited hours.
    It appears they are putting the emphasis on stocking their Food Truck.
    The Food Truck appears to be popular but I am not one to chase a Food Truck at various locations, none of which is close to me.
    The Location of Sap Sap in Racine was about a quiet 15 min drive.
    -Richard
  • Post #18 - August 3rd, 2023, 1:08 pm
    Post #18 - August 3rd, 2023, 1:08 pm Post #18 - August 3rd, 2023, 1:08 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I don't think it's a big deal but I stopped by today during posted business hours only to find El Habanero locked up and dark, with the chairs turned up on the tables. There was a note on the door but I couldn't read it clearly. Point is, don't panic but do call first. Guessing that like many places, hours are somewhat erratic these days and subject to factors that are not always under management's control.

Business as usual last night . . . well, except that it might have been better than ever. First, got verbal confirmation that the previous unscheduled closing I encountered last time out was last-minute, staffing-related and beyond management's control. In short, they're family-run but are hurting for kitchen staff during various shifts. The brunt of the pandemic may be over but its effects are still rippling.

That said, when El Habanero's on, they're on, they're on. And as I posted above, last night was just wonderful. Everything was so delicious, I was only unhappy that I couldn't eat more. Happily, the leftovers made for an excellent lunch today . . .

Chips & Salsa
    Especially love that one! You know the one I'm talking about. :wink:

Lengua Tacos
    Tender, crispy and unctuous.

Pambazo
    This one's not on the menu but if you ask, they'll make combo of asada and chorizo for you.

Chilequiles w/Salsa Verde
    Carne (choice of beef or chicken), huevos, beans and rice. Wow!

That's all folks :lol:

=R=
  • Post #19 - August 3rd, 2023, 3:42 pm
    Post #19 - August 3rd, 2023, 3:42 pm Post #19 - August 3rd, 2023, 3:42 pm
    Good to hear. Relieved I haven't lost another of my faves aka Homestyle Taste or JMC.
  • Post #20 - February 10th, 2024, 1:36 pm
    Post #20 - February 10th, 2024, 1:36 pm Post #20 - February 10th, 2024, 1:36 pm
    Robbed for the 2nd time in a few months on Monday. Broken window etc... they need our support if you happen to be hungry.
  • Post #21 - February 10th, 2024, 2:21 pm
    Post #21 - February 10th, 2024, 2:21 pm Post #21 - February 10th, 2024, 2:21 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Robbed for the 2nd time in a few months on Monday. Broken window etc... they need our support if you happen to be hungry.

Again?! That's at least 3 times. The last "wave" had at least 2 break-ins. Shit.

=R=
  • Post #22 - February 10th, 2024, 3:14 pm
    Post #22 - February 10th, 2024, 3:14 pm Post #22 - February 10th, 2024, 3:14 pm
    I feel so bad for them. They're such good, talented people w/I'm sure shallow pockets. If it were me I'd be over it. Think I'll plan a lg gathering there.
  • Post #23 - February 11th, 2024, 9:57 am
    Post #23 - February 11th, 2024, 9:57 am Post #23 - February 11th, 2024, 9:57 am
    That's really a shame and an unfortunate reality for them. They are such warm and hospitable people. They crank out the best pambazos in Chicago. With this news, I'll head back in short order.
    "And if you don't know, now you know." -BIG
  • Post #24 - February 11th, 2024, 4:55 pm
    Post #24 - February 11th, 2024, 4:55 pm Post #24 - February 11th, 2024, 4:55 pm
    Bastards, best pambazos I've ever had.
  • Post #25 - February 11th, 2024, 5:18 pm
    Post #25 - February 11th, 2024, 5:18 pm Post #25 - February 11th, 2024, 5:18 pm
    Here's the event if anyone is interested
    https://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=592584#592584
  • Post #26 - February 15th, 2024, 4:19 pm
    Post #26 - February 15th, 2024, 4:19 pm Post #26 - February 15th, 2024, 4:19 pm
    I went there for lunch today. It had been a long time and certainly as good as I remember it. I had a Pasteur Pambazo.

If you take a fork and just eat the filling, it's meh. But that bread roll..... Taken as a whole it is an outstanding sandwich.
  • Post #27 - February 22nd, 2024, 8:41 pm
    Post #27 - February 22nd, 2024, 8:41 pm Post #27 - February 22nd, 2024, 8:41 pm
    Wanted to correct some info. We had a wonderful meal tonite and had a chance to talk w/the owner. They've been robbed 4 times in 8 months (not 3 in 4) and are near the end of their rope. If you like them, now is the time to get there and let them know. And if you go, bring a friend and be generous.
    Last edited by Jazzfood on February 23rd, 2024, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #28 - February 23rd, 2024, 1:57 am
    Post #28 - February 23rd, 2024, 1:57 am Post #28 - February 23rd, 2024, 1:57 am
    I still don't understand who would rob restaurants? Is it because they are cash only? I can't imagine it is lucrative.

Anyways, I hadn't been in years but El Habanero tonight was even better than I recalled. The chips and salsas blow away the competition. I had come to expect overpriced and underwhelming guacamole such that I don't order it out, but here it is exceptional if maybe a touch heavy on tomato. Mexican rice also feels like a poor afterthought at many places and I often leave it on the plate, but El Habanero puts care into theirs and is a rice well worth eating.

And lest I forget, the pambazos are still great, though I concur with the above poster that said it's all about that perfectly griddled bread rather than interior.

Great place and I hope they survive because I see myself coming back sooner rather than later.
  • Post #29 - February 23rd, 2024, 5:08 pm
    Post #29 - February 23rd, 2024, 5:08 pm Post #29 - February 23rd, 2024, 5:08 pm
    botd wrote:I still don't understand who would rob restaurants? Is it because they are cash only? I can't imagine it is lucrative.

Anyways, I hadn't been in years but El Habanero tonight was even better than I recalled. The chips and salsas blow away the competition. I had come to expect overpriced and underwhelming guacamole such that I don't order it out, but here it is exceptional if maybe a touch heavy on tomato. Mexican rice also feels like a poor afterthought at many places and I often leave it on the plate, but El Habanero puts care into theirs and is a rice well worth eating.

And lest I forget, the pambazos are still great, though I concur with the above poster that said it's all about that perfectly griddled bread rather than interior.

Great place and I hope they survive because I see myself coming back sooner rather than later.

Wonderful seeing you again. It had been years. Yeah, it really is a special sort of place. As you posted, even the salsas are amazing, especially that tomato paste-like one with the garlic and Mexican oregano. I've never had anything else like it anywhere -- so intense and herbaceous. The little things really seem to matter at El Habanero. I wish I still lived nearby, as I'd be there far more frequently. Last night's dinner was really nice . . .

Guacamole
    A really flavorful rendition. Yes, a bit tomato-heavy but they were neither soft nor soggy, so it played very well.

Combination Pambazo Dinner
    Carne asada and al pastor. Not on the menu but you can ask for it. I was offered it a few years ago and I've been ordering it ever since.

Tacos De Lengua
    I can never resist getting these because it's my favorite lengua taco prep anywhere.

Torta Cubana
    Insanely massive load with egg, milanesa de res, ham, hot dog, etc. Just a crazy, big-ass sandwich. I'd love to see this in pambazo form. I'm going to ask about that next time I'm there. :D

Chilaquiles Verdes con Carne & Huevos
    I joked that I never order this after 2pm or if I'm not hungover or drunk. None of those applied, but happily my son ordered it and got to have a few bites.

Not only do these guys need our love, they totally deserve it. No byo, cash only and they close at 8 . . . you have to really want it. But if you make the effort, it will be rewarded.

Thanks, Alan, for putting this meal together! :)

=R=
  • Post #30 - February 24th, 2024, 7:29 am
    Post #30 - February 24th, 2024, 7:29 am Post #30 - February 24th, 2024, 7:29 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Carne asada and al pastor. Not on the menu but you can ask for it. I was offered it a few years ago and I've been ordering it ever since.
    =R=

I assume this was half and half, not mushed together ?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more