LTH Home

Seven Lions (on Michigan Avenue) [closed]

Seven Lions (on Michigan Avenue) [closed]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Seven Lions (on Michigan Avenue) [closed]

Post #1 - January 22nd, 2016, 3:48 pm
    Post #1 - January 22nd, 2016, 3:48 pm Post #1 - January 22nd, 2016, 3:48 pm
    I was in the Loop at lunchtime today. On the spur of the moment, I decided to have lunch at Seven Lions, and it was one of those "OH. MY. GOD." terrific meals.

Seven Lions opened last February, across the street from the Art Institute. It's owned by sommelier and former "Check Please" host Alpana Singh. This was my first visit there.

I arrived at 11:20 with no reservation and was seated immediately. By the time I left an hour later most of the dining room was full.

Today is the first day of Restaurant Week (RW), which runs through February 4. I decided to order from their Restaurant Week menu, which offers choices for each of three courses for $22. Their regular lunch menu is also available. They are also participating in RW for dinner.

I started with the "House Cured Bacon, spoon bread, fried green tomato jam". This was sheer heaven. There were three good-sized chunks of bacon, delicious and thick-cut and pleasantly chewy. The fried green tomato jam was great - very sweet, but the perfect quantity so it wouldn't overwhelm the dish. The spoon bread came in three chunks also, and added a nice, mild counterpoint to the strong flavors of the other two components. This was a great balance of three wonderful items, with contrasting textures, colors, and tastes, all delicious.

I then had the "Braised Short Rib Sandwich, aged white cheddar fondue, shishito peppers, basil", and this too was awesome. The sandwich included short rib meat that had been "pulled", which worked better in a sandwich than the big hunks I've seen served elsewhere. It was delicious and moist, and one of the least fatty short rib preparations I've ever had. The shishito peppers added just the right amount of kick (spiciness) to the sandwich without overwhelming it. When I read the description, I was a bit concerned that there might be too much cheddar, but fortunately this part was understated. As a result, the entire sandwich was wonderfully delicious, with just the right balance among its ingredients. It was accompanied by French fries that were perfect, as good as any fries I can recall having, with a puffy crunch on the outside.

For dessert I had the "Baked Alaska, dreamsicle baked alaska, blood oranges" and this was another winner. The center was an orange flavored ice cream, surrounded by meringue that was lightly broiled, on top of a thin yellow cake and topped with a couple small segments of blood orange. This was the first time I recall ever having baked alaska, and this was really good too.

As you can tell, I loved everything I had - so much so that I asked whether these items would be on their everyday menu. They said they have a new chef who is working on developing new dishes, and might be adding items that are similar but not necessarily identical (for example, pork belly rather than cured bacon).

My lunch at Seven Lions was thoroughly outstanding. I'm looking forward to returning, for lunch as well as for dinner.

Seven Lions Chicago
    130 S Michigan Ave
    Chicago IL 60603
    sevenlionschicago.com
  • Post #2 - January 22nd, 2016, 4:47 pm
    Post #2 - January 22nd, 2016, 4:47 pm Post #2 - January 22nd, 2016, 4:47 pm
    Per your post, a recent piece at Eater.com reports that chef Chris Curren is out at Seven Lions. Sounds like things are ok for now.

http://chicago.eater.com/2016/1/15/1077 ... ris-curren

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #3 - January 22nd, 2016, 6:01 pm
    Post #3 - January 22nd, 2016, 6:01 pm Post #3 - January 22nd, 2016, 6:01 pm
    Great descriptions. Sounds astonishing. Thanks.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #4 - January 28th, 2016, 8:20 am
    Post #4 - January 28th, 2016, 8:20 am Post #4 - January 28th, 2016, 8:20 am
    Had a very enjoyable lunch here yesterday. My main course was the short rib sandwich that nsxtasy talked about, and I agree as to its tastiness. Interestingly (maybe), there was a thematic connection (as it turned out) between this and the appetizer my friend and I shared, which was the Brussels Sprout and Burrata Toast. In the same way the beef in the short rib sandwich was pulled into small shreds, the appetizer consisted of small "pulled" bits of brussels sprout mixed in with other ingredients. In neither case should it be inferred that "small bits" means lack of character of the primary ingredient. The short rib sandwich was satisfyingly beefy, and the appetizer was satisfyingly brussels sprouty. Just noting that the kitchen likes to shred things into little bits. :)
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #5 - October 25th, 2017, 9:46 am
    Post #5 - October 25th, 2017, 9:46 am Post #5 - October 25th, 2017, 9:46 am
    Alpana Singh sells stake in Seven Lions

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... even-lions
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #6 - November 28th, 2018, 1:11 pm
    Post #6 - November 28th, 2018, 1:11 pm Post #6 - November 28th, 2018, 1:11 pm
    Seven Lions faces eviction for unpaid rent from Crain's Chicago Business

A restaurant started by master sommelier and "Check, Please!" host Alpana Singh is being sued for nearly $764,000 in back rent. Singh sold her stake in the restaurant in September 2017.

Eater picked up the story from Crain's and added some other related material including that another group may be waiting in the wings.
  • Post #7 - November 28th, 2018, 2:47 pm
    Post #7 - November 28th, 2018, 2:47 pm Post #7 - November 28th, 2018, 2:47 pm
    I recently had dinner here with a business colleague.
    I had a faroe island salmon that was outstanding.
    For dessert we shared an excellent cheese plate.
    I'm always so impressed when a cheese plate is available.
    The only negative thing I'd say is a bit more fruit on the cheese plate would have been nice-
    a few grapes, a couple slices of apple-
    super cheap and really ups the wow factor for me.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #8 - December 23rd, 2018, 12:26 am
    Post #8 - December 23rd, 2018, 12:26 am Post #8 - December 23rd, 2018, 12:26 am
    Definitely closed. As posted in openings and closings thread, their web site is a single page saying they are permanently closed.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more