LTH Home

Mirabella (in the former Mirabell space)

Mirabella (in the former Mirabell space)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 4
  • Mirabella (in the former Mirabell space)

Post #1 - November 30th, 2016, 6:08 am
    Post #1 - November 30th, 2016, 6:08 am Post #1 - November 30th, 2016, 6:08 am
    Drover wrote:The "Coming Soon" sign is up and the new name for the old Mirabell spot will be...

Mirabella Italian Cuisine
    3454 W. Addison
    312-631-8832

Mirabella To Host Grand Opening Thursday [Dec 1st], Sample The Italian Cuisine
  • Post #2 - November 30th, 2016, 10:29 am
    Post #2 - November 30th, 2016, 10:29 am Post #2 - November 30th, 2016, 10:29 am
    Drover wrote:
    Drover wrote:The "Coming Soon" sign is up and the new name for the old Mirabell spot will be...

Mirabella Italian Cuisine
    3454 W. Addison
    312-631-8832

Mirabella To Host Grand Opening Thursday [Dec 1st], Sample The Italian Cuisine

Geez, this is getting embarrassing already. Just call it quits and shut it down, its over.
  • Post #3 - November 30th, 2016, 12:26 pm
    Post #3 - November 30th, 2016, 12:26 pm Post #3 - November 30th, 2016, 12:26 pm
    shakes wrote:Geez, this is getting embarrassing already. Just call it quits and shut it down, its over.

Care to explain exactly how this is "embarrassing?"

You'd think the place would at least get a chance to open before people start clamoring for its demise. :roll:
  • Post #4 - November 30th, 2016, 2:10 pm
    Post #4 - November 30th, 2016, 2:10 pm Post #4 - November 30th, 2016, 2:10 pm
    Drover wrote:
    shakes wrote:Geez, this is getting embarrassing already. Just call it quits and shut it down, its over.

You'd think the place would at least get a chance to open before people start clamoring for its demise. :roll:

its embarrassing because they keep opening up new restaurants with completely different concepts in the same place where the original Mirabell flamed out. First they said they were gonna keep the German place open, then they closed it, then they re-opened as a burger bar which lasted about 6 months and now its going to be an Italian place. What's next, Mirabell sushi and Pho opening sometime in the fall of 2017?

Like I said, its embarrassing and they need to just give up and let it go. Its over.
  • Post #5 - November 30th, 2016, 2:28 pm
    Post #5 - November 30th, 2016, 2:28 pm Post #5 - November 30th, 2016, 2:28 pm
    shakes wrote:its embarrassing because they keep opening up new restaurants with completely different concepts in the same place where the original Mirabell flamed out. First they said they were gonna keep the German place open, then they closed it, then they re-opened as a burger bar which lasted about 6 months and now its going to be an Italian place. What's next, Mirabell sushi and Pho opening sometime in the fall of 2017?

Like I said, its embarrassing and they need to just give up and let it go. Its over.

From what I gathered from the press release (I actually read it), this time around it's actually a new owner trying out a new concept; a completely new restaurant, as it were.

Where the confusion comes from is that fact that he's keeping the name nearly identical to the German joint and its reboot as a burger bar. Those owners are now out of the picture. I guess they were too embarrassed to give it another go. :roll:
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - November 30th, 2016, 2:43 pm
    Post #6 - November 30th, 2016, 2:43 pm Post #6 - November 30th, 2016, 2:43 pm
    stevez wrote:
    shakes wrote:its embarrassing because they keep opening up new restaurants with completely different concepts in the same place where the original Mirabell flamed out. First they said they were gonna keep the German place open, then they closed it, then they re-opened as a burger bar which lasted about 6 months and now its going to be an Italian place. What's next, Mirabell sushi and Pho opening sometime in the fall of 2017?

From what I gathered from the press release (I actually read it), this time around it's actually a new owner trying out a new concept; a completely new restaurant, as it were.

Where the confusion comes from is that fact that he's keeping the name nearly identical to the German joint and its reboot as a burger bar. Those owners are now out of the picture. I guess they were too embarrassed to give it another go. :roll:

well, I'm moving this from the "they should be embarrassed" file to the "what the heck were they thinking" file regarding the new owners. Old school restaurant flames out, reboot with new concept but same name fails miserably, new owner opens up totally unrelated restaurant but keeps the name. That's not at all confusing and misleading :roll:

You would think the new owner would want to distance himself from the recently failed brand, not embrace it.
  • Post #7 - November 30th, 2016, 4:18 pm
    Post #7 - November 30th, 2016, 4:18 pm Post #7 - November 30th, 2016, 4:18 pm
    shakes wrote:
    Drover wrote:

its embarrassing because they keep opening up new restaurants with completely different concepts in the same place where the original Mirabell flamed out. First they said they were gonna keep the German place open, then they closed it, then they re-opened as a burger bar which lasted about 6 months and now its going to be an Italian place. What's next, Mirabell sushi and Pho opening sometime in the fall of 2017?

Who's "they?" Did you even read this or any other article about the place? This is the new owner's first ever restaurant so I don't think you even know who "they" is. So let me summarize: completely different owners, completely different concept, completely different restaurant.

only thing embarrassing here is how far your foot is in your mouth.
  • Post #8 - November 30th, 2016, 4:25 pm
    Post #8 - November 30th, 2016, 4:25 pm Post #8 - November 30th, 2016, 4:25 pm
    As for M Pub being a failure, its primary purpose was to make the business and building more salable, not some last-ditch effort to stay in business. And it must have worked since they got an offer on it within weeks of re-branding. It was the new owner's decision to change it again, not the previous owner's.
  • Post #9 - November 30th, 2016, 4:42 pm
    Post #9 - November 30th, 2016, 4:42 pm Post #9 - November 30th, 2016, 4:42 pm
    I feel like we spend way too much time around here arguing about food quality and not nearly enough about which restaurants have a right to exist.
  • Post #10 - November 30th, 2016, 4:58 pm
    Post #10 - November 30th, 2016, 4:58 pm Post #10 - November 30th, 2016, 4:58 pm
    shakes wrote:
    Drover wrote:

its embarrassing because they keep opening up new restaurants with completely different concepts in the same place where the original Mirabell flamed out.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I think saying the original Mirabell flamed out is a misuse of the term. "Flame out" usually means a sudden and complete failure. Mirabell was in business as a German restaurant for 38 years.
    "Life is a combination of magic and pasta." -- Federico Fellini

"You're not going to like it in Chicago. The wind comes howling in from the lake. And there's practically no opera season at all--and the Lord only knows whether they've ever heard of lobster Newburg." --Charles Foster Kane, Citizen Kane.
  • Post #11 - November 30th, 2016, 10:22 pm
    Post #11 - November 30th, 2016, 10:22 pm Post #11 - November 30th, 2016, 10:22 pm
    tarte tatin wrote:Just my 2 cents worth, but I think saying the original Mirabell flamed out is a misuse of the term. "Flame out" usually means a sudden and complete failure. Mirabell was in business as a German restaurant for 38 years.

In fairness, it really did go drastically downhill towards the end. Maybe not "flame out". More like "sputtered to a stop".
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #12 - December 1st, 2016, 10:10 am
    Post #12 - December 1st, 2016, 10:10 am Post #12 - December 1st, 2016, 10:10 am
    Drover wrote:Who's "they?" Did you even read this or any other article about the place? This is the new owner's first ever restaurant so I don't think you even know who "they" is. So let me summarize: completely different owners, completely different concept, completely different restaurant.

New owners did a great job distancing themselves from the failed Mirabell brand when they named their new restaurant Mirabell, wouldn't you agree?
  • Post #13 - December 1st, 2016, 11:42 am
    Post #13 - December 1st, 2016, 11:42 am Post #13 - December 1st, 2016, 11:42 am
    shakes wrote:
    Drover wrote:Who's "they?" Did you even read this or any other article about the place? This is the new owner's first ever restaurant so I don't think you even know who "they" is. So let me summarize: completely different owners, completely different concept, completely different restaurant.

New owners did a great job distancing themselves from the failed Mirabell brand when they named their new restaurant Mirabell, wouldn't you agree?

Depending on how you look at it, that was either a wacky or optimistic choice. It does seem like they over-estimated the value of the brand in doing so. The original place really limped along for quite some time before it closed.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #14 - December 1st, 2016, 11:59 am
    Post #14 - December 1st, 2016, 11:59 am Post #14 - December 1st, 2016, 11:59 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Depending on how you look at it, that was either a wacky or optimistic choice. It does seem like they over-estimated the value of the brand in doing so. The original place really limped along for quite some time before it closed.

=R=

That's what I'm saying. I live at Addison and Elston for the past 9 years so I've witnessed the demise of Mirabell firsthand. Place became a beat up dump by the end. Then the desperate and failed attempt to hang on with the burger bar rebranding. As a layperson in the neighborhood, I see Mirabell Italian and I think, oh great, these idiots are going to give it another try with yet another totally different concept while keeping the failed brand name. Why would anyone in the area think the place has new owners?

Very dumb decision, I'll be shocked if they do better than the Olive Garden across the street.
  • Post #15 - December 1st, 2016, 5:02 pm
    Post #15 - December 1st, 2016, 5:02 pm Post #15 - December 1st, 2016, 5:02 pm
    Again, M Pub was not a "desperate" nor "failed" attempt to "hang on." When Mirabell closed, the plan was always to sell the building and the business. The purpose of the M Pub re-branding was to help facilitate that sale, and that's exactly what it achieved.

If anyone wants to pass on a chance to eat at a restaurant owned by the former long-time executive chef of Gene & Georgetti because they're that bent out of shape about the name, I suppose that's their loss.
  • Post #16 - December 2nd, 2016, 11:26 am
    Post #16 - December 2nd, 2016, 11:26 am Post #16 - December 2nd, 2016, 11:26 am
    Drover wrote:If anyone wants to pass on a chance to eat at a restaurant owned by the former long-time executive chef of Gene & Georgetti because they're that bent out of shape about the name, I suppose that's their loss.

Update: 12/1 opening was "postponed" according to a sheet of paper in the window, with no ETA of when the new one will be.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #17 - December 2nd, 2016, 11:38 am
    Post #17 - December 2nd, 2016, 11:38 am Post #17 - December 2nd, 2016, 11:38 am
    Pie Lady wrote:
    Drover wrote:If anyone wants to pass on a chance to eat at a restaurant owned by the former long-time executive chef of Gene & Georgetti because they're that bent out of shape about the name, I suppose that's their loss.

Update: 12/1 opening was "postponed" according to a sheet of paper in the window, with no ETA of when the new one will be.

From Eater http://chicago.eater.com/2016/12/2/13817172/trump-green-lady-lagunitas-music-venue-riot-fest-more-intel:
    —Mirabella Italian Restaurant’s opening has been delayed. The restaurant, pegged to open on Thursday in Avondale, decided to push the opening until next week due to construction around their block. Nearby work from People’s Gas was knocking out water and gas in the restaurant, according to a restaurant rep. The restaurant, from the executive chef at Gene & Georgetti, was to open inside the Mirabell space. That’s the beloved German restaurant that closed after 38 years.
  • Post #18 - December 2nd, 2016, 1:34 pm
    Post #18 - December 2nd, 2016, 1:34 pm Post #18 - December 2nd, 2016, 1:34 pm
    Drover wrote:Again, M Pub was not a "desperate" nor "failed" attempt to "hang on." When Mirabell closed, the plan was always to sell the building and the business. The purpose of the M Pub re-branding was to help facilitate that sale, and that's exactly what it achieved.

If anyone wants to pass on a chance to eat at a restaurant owned by the former long-time executive chef of Gene & Georgetti because they're that bent out of shape about the name, I suppose that's their loss.

Let me ask you, do you think the average diner or person living in the neighborhood knows that M Burger was just a temporary restaurant? I've never ever heard of such a thing.

And with the answer to that question obviously being no, let me follow up with a second question. Do you think that same average layperson diner knows that the new Mirabell Italian is owned by a well respected chef who has no relation to the previous 2 restaurants that shared the same "Mirabell" name?

Once again, an obvious no. The decision to name the new place Mirabell Italian is beyond stupid.
  • Post #19 - December 3rd, 2016, 5:14 pm
    Post #19 - December 3rd, 2016, 5:14 pm Post #19 - December 3rd, 2016, 5:14 pm
    shakes wrote:
    Drover wrote:Again, M Pub was not a "desperate" nor "failed" attempt to "hang on." When Mirabell closed, the plan was always to sell the building and the business. The purpose of the M Pub re-branding was to help facilitate that sale, and that's exactly what it achieved.

Let me ask you, do you think the average diner or person living in the neighborhood knows that M Burger was just a temporary restaurant? I've never ever heard of such a thing.

And with the answer to that question obviously being no, let me follow up with a second question. Do you think that same average layperson diner knows that the new Mirabell Italian is owned by a well respected chef who has no relation to the previous 2 restaurants that shared the same "Mirabell" name?

Once again, an obvious no. The decision to name the new place Mirabell Italian is beyond stupid.

First, whether or not "the average diner or person living in the neighborhood" knows about M Pub, now YOU know about it so you can stop mischaracterizing it as a "failed" or "desperate" attempt to "hold on." Second, it was called M Pub, not M Burger. Third, the new restaurant is not called Mirabell. And finally, YOU had a chance to know about it by simply reading the article in the link provided or in any of the numerous write-ups about it in various industry-related publications. Your unwillingness to inform yourself of what's happening in your own neighborhood is nobody's fault but your own.
  • Post #20 - December 3rd, 2016, 11:05 pm
    Post #20 - December 3rd, 2016, 11:05 pm Post #20 - December 3rd, 2016, 11:05 pm
    Mod Note:

Folks, we split this off from the Openings & Closings thread because it became quite a long digression and distraction there.

Going forward, let's please keep it civil, refrain from making it personal and respect the opinions of those with whom we disagree.

Thanks,

=R=
    for the Moderators
  • Post #21 - December 4th, 2016, 1:53 pm
    Post #21 - December 4th, 2016, 1:53 pm Post #21 - December 4th, 2016, 1:53 pm
    lodasi wrote:From Eater http://chicago.eater.com/2016/12/2/13817172/trump-green-lady-lagunitas-music-venue-riot-fest-more-intel:
    —Mirabella Italian Restaurant’s opening has been delayed. The restaurant, pegged to open on Thursday in Avondale, decided to push the opening until next week due to construction around their block. Nearby work from People’s Gas was knocking out water and gas in the restaurant, according to a restaurant rep. The restaurant, from the executive chef at Gene & Georgetti, was to open inside the Mirabell space. That’s the beloved German restaurant that closed after 38 years.

And now I'll jump in, only to add that the "beloved German restaurant" wasn't beloved by me. They treated us and our friend abominably on a visit in the eighties or early nineties. Speaking for myself, because of this experience, the new occupant of the space couldn't make a worse decision than to pay "homage" to that place in the name of his restaurant.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #22 - December 7th, 2016, 10:49 am
    Post #22 - December 7th, 2016, 10:49 am Post #22 - December 7th, 2016, 10:49 am
    Drover wrote:First, whether or not "the average diner or person living in the neighborhood" knows about M Pub, now YOU know about it so you can stop mischaracterizing it as a "failed" or "desperate" attempt to "hold on." Second, it was called M Pub, not M Burger. Third, the new restaurant is not called Mirabell. And finally, YOU had a chance to know about it by simply reading the article in the link provided or in any of the numerous write-ups about it in various industry-related publications. Your unwillingness to inform yourself of what's happening in your own neighborhood is nobody's fault but your own.

You should copy and paste this for the owner so he can just use it as his statement when the place fails out of the gate. "its not my fault I picked a confusing and stupid name, its the people in the neighborhood's fault for not reading my press release!!!!"
  • Post #23 - December 8th, 2016, 1:22 am
    Post #23 - December 8th, 2016, 1:22 am Post #23 - December 8th, 2016, 1:22 am
    Considering the resume of the owner and the buzz that alone has generated, I suspect they'll do just fine without going out of their way to reach those who are rooting for their failure.
  • Post #24 - December 8th, 2016, 11:21 am
    Post #24 - December 8th, 2016, 11:21 am Post #24 - December 8th, 2016, 11:21 am
    Drover wrote:Considering the resume of the owner and the buzz that alone has generated, I suspect they'll do just fine without going out of their way to reach those who are rooting for their failure.

:lol: thinking something is going to fail is different than rooting for something to fail. Big distinction there.

I live 2 blocks away, why would I want it to fail? I hope the place is amazing, the closest halfway decent Italian restaurant we have now is La Villa.
  • Post #25 - December 8th, 2016, 11:47 am
    Post #25 - December 8th, 2016, 11:47 am Post #25 - December 8th, 2016, 11:47 am
    Peace?
    File Dec 08, 11 45 26 AM.jpeg
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #26 - December 8th, 2016, 11:53 am
    Post #26 - December 8th, 2016, 11:53 am Post #26 - December 8th, 2016, 11:53 am
    As a very minor investor in a few ventures, perhaps I see this situation a bit differently than some others do. When a place is under-performing, changes can be made in a number of ways. Small tweaks, menu and staff changes can certainly improve things in some cases. The problem in such cases, though, is that for a vast majority of diners who've already come in, not particularly enjoyed it and written you off, they'll likely never know about these changes. They certainly don't read press releases, though they may read a few publications that print them as news or what have you.

The more expensive and time-consuming route is to re-concept. Operators hate doing this because it is the most expensive option and there are no guarantees that it will succeed. The upside is that in many cases, you get the publicity bounce that comes with being a new restaurant. Folks who've written you off are more likely to become aware of the changes you've made and, if you're lucky, give you another chance.

As all this applies to Mirabella, it would concern me if it were my money on the line. Clearly, some amount of capital has been laid out to buy the business and refurbish the space. The new operator seems to be banking on the name -- and the previous brand -- having some value. That may or may not turn out to be a good hunch. It's impossible to say. But to the casual diner (a vast majority of diners), the name gives the impression that previous ownership is still involved in some way. Even if they put an "Under New Ownership" sign in the window, most people will not see it.

I think a name change would be a more effective way to communicate more clearly and widely that substantial changes have been made. If it were my money, this would be a more desirable way to launch the investment. But who knows? Perhaps the Mirabell brand has great value and that will draw diners in. But I just don't see how any casual observer would see the new name and not immediately think "same old, same old." Of course, that could still be a positive, depending on one's perception of the previous venture that occupied the space.

=R=
  • Post #27 - December 9th, 2016, 2:25 am
    Post #27 - December 9th, 2016, 2:25 am Post #27 - December 9th, 2016, 2:25 am
    shakes wrote:
    Drover wrote:Considering the resume of the owner and the buzz that alone has generated, I suspect they'll do just fine without going out of their way to reach those who are rooting for their failure.

:lol: thinking something is going to fail is different than rooting for something to fail. Big distinction there.

I live 2 blocks away, why would I want it to fail? I hope the place is amazing, the closest halfway decent Italian restaurant we have now is La Villa.

Except that you weren't just thinking they would fail as part of some idle speculation, you were advocating for its failure: "Just call it quits and shut it down, it's over."

But at least now you've changed your tune and hope it's amazing, so there's that.

I don't think they're looking to play in quite the same playground as La Villa, which is more "conventional" red-sauce Italian while Mirabella is making an up-market play.
    Last edited by Drover on December 9th, 2016, 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #28 - December 9th, 2016, 10:16 am
    Post #28 - December 9th, 2016, 10:16 am Post #28 - December 9th, 2016, 10:16 am
    Drover wrote:
    shakes wrote:

Except that you weren't just thinking they would fail as part of some idle speculation, you were advocating for its failure: "Just call it quits and shut it down, it's over."

But at least now you've changed your tune and hope it's amazing, so there's that.

I don't think they're looking to play in quite the same playground as La Villa, which is more "conventional" red-sauce Italian while Mirabella is making an up-market play.

So I guess the real problem here is a misunderstanding on your part. Advocating for something to fail and predicting something will fail are two different things. I suggest you read up on the differences and maybe you won't have such a hard time interpreting posts on the forum.
  • Post #29 - December 9th, 2016, 11:07 am
    Post #29 - December 9th, 2016, 11:07 am Post #29 - December 9th, 2016, 11:07 am
    You boys need to get a hobby or something
    "Living well is the best revenge"
  • Post #30 - December 9th, 2016, 1:57 pm
    Post #30 - December 9th, 2016, 1:57 pm Post #30 - December 9th, 2016, 1:57 pm
    shakes wrote:So I guess the real problem here is a misunderstanding on your part. Advocating for something to fail and predicting something will fail are two different things. I suggest you read up on the differences and maybe you won't have such a hard time interpreting posts on the forum.

There's no way to interpret a command that a place shut down as merely a prediction. You're responsible for your own formulation. If you don't want to be misinterpreted then don't state a "prediction" in the form of a command.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more