LTH Home

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2017

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2017
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 11 of 17
  • Post #301 - July 11th, 2017, 7:24 pm
    Post #301 - July 11th, 2017, 7:24 pm Post #301 - July 11th, 2017, 7:24 pm
    scottsol wrote:
    Chicago Eater wrote: This stretch of Lawrence has been revitalized in the past few years, but this spot in particular hasn't been forgiving to Vidalia, or The Last Pit Stop before them.


    I can't speak for Vidalia, but the location wasn't the problem with The Last Pit Stop, it was the subpar food.

    I'm not really sure what happened to Vidalia but I'm really disappointed. I visited Vidalia twice and had two excellent sandwiches. But I went by many times (in addition to eating there twice) and they were usually empty. As for the location, I don't think it's particularly ideal in terms of foot traffic and I'm not sure they did enough to let people know they were there.
    I find the pastrami to be the most sensual of all the salted, cured meats. (Seinfeld)

    Twitter: brbinchicago
  • Post #302 - July 14th, 2017, 6:13 pm
    Post #302 - July 14th, 2017, 6:13 pm Post #302 - July 14th, 2017, 6:13 pm
    BR wrote:
    scottsol wrote:
    Chicago Eater wrote: This stretch of Lawrence has been revitalized in the past few years, but this spot in particular hasn't been forgiving to Vidalia, or The Last Pit Stop before them.


    I can't speak for Vidalia, but the location wasn't the problem with The Last Pit Stop, it was the subpar food.

    I'm not really sure what happened to Vidalia but I'm really disappointed. I visited Vidalia twice and had two excellent sandwiches. But I went by many times (in addition to eating there twice) and they were usually empty. As for the location, I don't think it's particularly ideal in terms of foot traffic and I'm not sure they did enough to let people know they were there.


    The food at Last Pit Stop was miserable. The food at Vidalia was much better, but I think it was too pricey for the neighborhood to support it. A $14 pretty-good sandwich that could be finished in one sitting with a la carte sides isn't a place I'm going to hit up regularly or be able to take my family to often. (There was a lot of social media love for the pizza, but we never tried it.) We were excited when we heard a sandwich place was going in, but after our initial visit, we couldn't be bothered to return.
    "If this sauce was a person, I'd get naked and make love to it." - Sophia Petrillo, The Golden Girls
  • Post #303 - July 14th, 2017, 7:26 pm
    Post #303 - July 14th, 2017, 7:26 pm Post #303 - July 14th, 2017, 7:26 pm
    Buona Beef will be coming to Streeterville, at the old Local Root spot on McClurg between Ohio and Ontario. With Rehab Institute moving in nearly across the street, and a 50 story high rise opening a block south, market conditions may be better for a place than when Local Root closed.
  • Post #304 - July 17th, 2017, 1:47 pm
    Post #304 - July 17th, 2017, 1:47 pm Post #304 - July 17th, 2017, 1:47 pm
    Karyn's:
    "Our last day of business on Halsted will be Sunday, July 23rd."


    https://chicago.eater.com/2017/7/17/159 ... ncoln-park
  • Post #305 - July 17th, 2017, 2:22 pm
    Post #305 - July 17th, 2017, 2:22 pm Post #305 - July 17th, 2017, 2:22 pm
    Opening in the former location of Skokie Club:

    Pho Phu Linh Vietnamese Noodle House
    4741 W. Main St.
    Skokie, IL 60076
    847.213.0881
    http://www.phophulinh.com/
    "Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate!"
    Paul Lynde
  • Post #306 - July 17th, 2017, 2:26 pm
    Post #306 - July 17th, 2017, 2:26 pm Post #306 - July 17th, 2017, 2:26 pm
    One place not open raising eyebrows.

    "Firewater Saloon" has applied for a liquor license to operate in the former Dick's Last Resort location on McClurg at Ogden Slip (under the Target store at that location).

    Based on conduct and reviews of their other location, Alderman Reilly has indicated that he likely will recommend against that license.

    It is interesting in that in light of conduct at certain River North spots, liquor licenses in the ward are going to be reviewed even more closely than before.
  • Post #307 - July 17th, 2017, 3:03 pm
    Post #307 - July 17th, 2017, 3:03 pm Post #307 - July 17th, 2017, 3:03 pm
    DML wrote:Based on conduct and reviews of their other location, Alderman Reilly has indicated that he likely will recommend against that license.

    I used to go to the Edison Park location and I never saw anything to indicate it unfit compared to other bars. I'm not into country music in the slightest, but I'll take another Firewater over the newest Hampton Social (moving to St Clair/Grand) any day.
  • Post #308 - July 18th, 2017, 10:54 am
    Post #308 - July 18th, 2017, 10:54 am Post #308 - July 18th, 2017, 10:54 am
    Truluck’s Seafood Steak & Crab House, a Texas-based group with 11 locations, has taken over the McCormick & Schmick’s space at 41 E. Chestnut St.

    https://chicago.eater.com/2017/7/18/159 ... stone-crab
    "Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate!"
    Paul Lynde
  • Post #309 - July 18th, 2017, 1:37 pm
    Post #309 - July 18th, 2017, 1:37 pm Post #309 - July 18th, 2017, 1:37 pm
    really sad to report that Bar Marta has closed.
    https://chicago.eater.com/2017/6/12/157 ... stin-baker
  • Post #310 - July 19th, 2017, 4:22 pm
    Post #310 - July 19th, 2017, 4:22 pm Post #310 - July 19th, 2017, 4:22 pm
    'Contemporary' Jewish deli opening in North Center


    http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... rth-center

    I met the culinary directory at Sportsman's a couple months ago and he was telling me all about this. It seems like he's super passionate about it and has been doing a ton of research. Glad to see that it is definitely getting off the ground and I look forward to trying it out.
  • Post #311 - July 19th, 2017, 6:29 pm
    Post #311 - July 19th, 2017, 6:29 pm Post #311 - July 19th, 2017, 6:29 pm
    Vera Wine Bar is closing:

    https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017071 ... -west-loop
  • Post #312 - July 20th, 2017, 12:35 pm
    Post #312 - July 20th, 2017, 12:35 pm Post #312 - July 20th, 2017, 12:35 pm
    So there are two similarly named threads now? Did I miss something?
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    In the world of apples, Pink Lady runs the whorehouse. ~ James Napoli

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #313 - July 20th, 2017, 1:18 pm
    Post #313 - July 20th, 2017, 1:18 pm Post #313 - July 20th, 2017, 1:18 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:So there are two similarly named threads now? Did I miss something?

    The one on "Other" is more of "why" -- this one should be strictly "what"
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #314 - July 20th, 2017, 2:53 pm
    Post #314 - July 20th, 2017, 2:53 pm Post #314 - July 20th, 2017, 2:53 pm
    ziggy wrote:
    'Contemporary' Jewish deli opening in North Center


    http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... rth-center

    I met the culinary directory at Sportsman's a couple months ago and he was telling me all about this. It seems like he's super passionate about it and has been doing a ton of research. Glad to see that it is definitely getting off the ground and I look forward to trying it out.


    I saw the Steingold's Deli sign out yesterday walking to the El. Unfortunate that the trees cover up the sign from the street and the El stop. It's in the old "Crêpes à Latte the cafe" space at 1840 W. Irving Park. Glad that something is finally going into that space. Per Yelp, it has been empty since Fall of 2012.
  • Post #315 - July 21st, 2017, 7:23 am
    Post #315 - July 21st, 2017, 7:23 am Post #315 - July 21st, 2017, 7:23 am
    I hope it's good, I work near there and not a lot of places for a good lunch. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a successful launch.
  • Post #316 - July 21st, 2017, 8:43 am
    Post #316 - July 21st, 2017, 8:43 am Post #316 - July 21st, 2017, 8:43 am
    JoelF wrote:
    Pie Lady wrote:So there are two similarly named threads now? Did I miss something?

    The one on "Other" is more of "why" -- this one should be strictly "what"

    Aha, gotcha. Thanks.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    In the world of apples, Pink Lady runs the whorehouse. ~ James Napoli

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #317 - July 21st, 2017, 9:38 am
    Post #317 - July 21st, 2017, 9:38 am Post #317 - July 21st, 2017, 9:38 am
    blipsman wrote:Image

    Noticed a Whistle Pig banner on the former Honey1 BBQ spot on Western... another BBQ joint? Anybody know anything? Google shows a Whistlepig BBQ in Michigan -- any connection?

    Hoping it's somewhat close in quality to Honey 1... one of my favorites, and relocated to Bronzeville just a couple months after I moved within walking distance


    More news on the opening:

    https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017072 ... t-bucktown

    I spied their menu on Instagram a week ago and it left me pretty concerned. A billion items and seemingly no focus. I'm never going to hope for a restaurant to be bad, but I'm certainly going in with a healthy amount of skepticism and a chip on my shoulder because a BBQ place opening in the old Honey 1 spot just feels wrong.
  • Post #318 - July 21st, 2017, 11:17 am
    Post #318 - July 21st, 2017, 11:17 am Post #318 - July 21st, 2017, 11:17 am
    Lawrence's Fish & Shrimp Expands Into Ashburn

    https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017072 ... -expansion
    "Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate!"
    Paul Lynde
  • Post #319 - July 21st, 2017, 4:06 pm
    Post #319 - July 21st, 2017, 4:06 pm Post #319 - July 21st, 2017, 4:06 pm
    gnarchief wrote:I spied their menu on Instagram a week ago and it left me pretty concerned. A billion items and seemingly no focus. I'm never going to hope for a restaurant to be bad, but I'm certainly going in with a healthy amount of skepticism and a chip on my shoulder because a BBQ place opening in the old Honey 1 spot just feels wrong.


    I have no problem with the spot and am not so concerned with the number on non BBQ items as the unfocused and uninformed approach to the 'Q. The baby backs will be "chicago style" charbroiled slabs. They will be serving Alabama style white sauce with the tri-tip and the Houston born owner says that the purpose charred brisket burnt ends remind him of home - true Texas barbecue.
  • Post #320 - July 21st, 2017, 4:11 pm
    Post #320 - July 21st, 2017, 4:11 pm Post #320 - July 21st, 2017, 4:11 pm
    According to Eater, the Lakeview/Roscoe Village Bangers & Lace is closing Sunday to reconcept. I'm super bummed - just went back there this week and fell in love with it again. No news on Northdown either. Four Moons better not close!
  • Post #321 - July 27th, 2017, 12:04 pm
    Post #321 - July 27th, 2017, 12:04 pm Post #321 - July 27th, 2017, 12:04 pm
    An August 15 date has been set for the Chicago Bonci location opening:

    http://www.chicagomag.com/dining-drinki ... 017/Bonci/
  • Post #322 - July 28th, 2017, 3:27 pm
    Post #322 - July 28th, 2017, 3:27 pm Post #322 - July 28th, 2017, 3:27 pm
    ekreider wrote:From DNA info: Via Lima To Reopen As More Casual, Affordable Nazka Wok

    The home of the former Via Lima won't be vacant for long.

    Turns out that Eni Cadena, owner of the recently shuttered upscale Peruvian restaurant, is simply switching concepts and aiming for a mid-July opening of the fast-casual Nazka Wok, 4024 N. Lincoln Ave.

    "It's a big change ... but sometimes changes are meant to be for the better," Cadena said.

    As the name of the eatery suggests, wok dishes will take center stage at the new eatery, including beef and chicken versions that originated at Via Lima, plus the addition of a mahi mahi option.

    While the final menu has yet to be set in stone, wok items will share equal space with pasta, rice and salad dishes, with everything priced between $8 and $14.

    The owner has held on to the liquor license.

    In view of the disruption from water main replacement under Lincoln as well as some side streets between Irving Park and Montrose, this may a well-timed shift.


    Looks like Nazka has opened. I'm pretty excited to try it based on the menu and positive experiences at Via Lima. I hope they are a success.

    http://www.nazkawok.com
  • Post #323 - July 29th, 2017, 7:33 am
    Post #323 - July 29th, 2017, 7:33 am Post #323 - July 29th, 2017, 7:33 am
    blipsman wrote:Image

    Noticed a Whistle Pig banner on the former Honey1 BBQ spot on Western... another BBQ joint? Anybody know anything? Google shows a Whistlepig BBQ in Michigan -- any connection?

    Hoping it's somewhat close in quality to Honey 1... one of my favorites, and relocated to Bronzeville just a couple months after I moved within walking distance

    The Whistle Pig is bringing back barbecue to the restaurant space that Honey 1 BBQ once called home. Ownership mixes Texas-style barbecue with Creole

    https://chicago.eater.com/2017/6/23/158 ... ummer-2017
    "Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate!"
    Paul Lynde
  • Post #324 - July 29th, 2017, 8:35 am
    Post #324 - July 29th, 2017, 8:35 am Post #324 - July 29th, 2017, 8:35 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    blipsman wrote:Image

    Noticed a Whistle Pig banner on the former Honey1 BBQ spot on Western... another BBQ joint? Anybody know anything? Google shows a Whistlepig BBQ in Michigan -- any connection?

    Hoping it's somewhat close in quality to Honey 1... one of my favorites, and relocated to Bronzeville just a couple months after I moved within walking distance

    The Whistle Pig is bringing back barbecue to the restaurant space that Honey 1 BBQ once called home. Ownership mixes Texas-style barbecue with Creole

    https://chicago.eater.com/2017/6/23/158 ... ummer-2017


    Executive summary of the above:

    Whistle Pig at 2241 N Western is now open for business.
  • Post #325 - August 1st, 2017, 9:02 am
    Post #325 - August 1st, 2017, 9:02 am Post #325 - August 1st, 2017, 9:02 am
    Naf Naf Grill - 636 Deerfield Road - Deerfield - opening August 8th.
    "Sandwiches are wonderful. You don't need a spoon or a plate!"
    Paul Lynde
  • Post #326 - August 1st, 2017, 1:19 pm
    Post #326 - August 1st, 2017, 1:19 pm Post #326 - August 1st, 2017, 1:19 pm
    Nando's To Open Next To Nutella Cafe On Michigan Avenue
    https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017073 ... hours-open
  • Post #327 - August 3rd, 2017, 2:19 pm
    Post #327 - August 3rd, 2017, 2:19 pm Post #327 - August 3rd, 2017, 2:19 pm
    scottsol wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:
    blipsman wrote:Image

    Noticed a Whistle Pig banner on the former Honey1 BBQ spot on Western... another BBQ joint? Anybody know anything? Google shows a Whistlepig BBQ in Michigan -- any connection?

    Hoping it's somewhat close in quality to Honey 1... one of my favorites, and relocated to Bronzeville just a couple months after I moved within walking distance

    The Whistle Pig is bringing back barbecue to the restaurant space that Honey 1 BBQ once called home. Ownership mixes Texas-style barbecue with Creole

    https://chicago.eater.com/2017/6/23/158 ... ummer-2017


    Executive summary of the above:

    Whistle Pig at 2241 N Western is now open for business.


    Executive summary of the executive summary (after only one meal):

    Skip It! I'm glad Robert Adams is still alive, cause if he were dead, he'd be spinning in his grave.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #328 - August 3rd, 2017, 2:59 pm
    Post #328 - August 3rd, 2017, 2:59 pm Post #328 - August 3rd, 2017, 2:59 pm
    stevez wrote:
    scottsol wrote:

    Executive summary of the above:

    Whistle Pig at 2241 N Western is now open for business.


    Executive summary of the executive summary (after only one meal):

    Skip It! I'm glad Robert Adams is still alive, cause if he were dead, he'd be spinning in his grave.


    True, the food was unremarkable, on the other hand the music was way too loud.
  • Post #329 - August 6th, 2017, 6:32 pm
    Post #329 - August 6th, 2017, 6:32 pm Post #329 - August 6th, 2017, 6:32 pm
    Whistlepig back in Niagara Falls was a hotdog stuffed with cheese spiraled w/a strip of bacon ...
  • Post #330 - August 6th, 2017, 8:28 pm
    Post #330 - August 6th, 2017, 8:28 pm Post #330 - August 6th, 2017, 8:28 pm
    SGFoxe wrote:Whistlepig back in Niagara Falls was a hotdog stuffed with cheese spiraled w/a strip of bacon ...

    That's known as a francheezie around here.

    =R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

    Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

    I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more