LTH Home

Big Ange's Eatery

Big Ange's Eatery
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Big Ange's Eatery

Post #1 - March 16th, 2017, 1:04 pm
    Post #1 - March 16th, 2017, 1:04 pm Post #1 - March 16th, 2017, 1:04 pm
    In the few months I've been going there (since last summer), Big Ange's has really amazed me with their consistent and delicious product. Yes, it's a hog dog/hamburger/italian beef place, but they're also producing some terrific unique items. If you're ever in the area around Arlington Park, make sure you give them a look.

Signature Cheeseburger (2 Certified Angus beef patties served on an Artisan potato bun w/our special Dijon mustard/mayo spread, pickles and minced red onion)
    This is a solid, solid burger. So much creaminess from the american cheese and they're possibly making their own bright-tasting pickles, which are served in thick, crisp slices.

Tri-Tip Sandwich
    (Smoked, prime sirloin served on an Artisan potato bun topped with crispy “Haystack” onions)
    Unlike a lot of burger places around here, Ange's shows a lot of restraint when it's a good thing. There's no heavy sauce on this sandwich, and with the soft potato bun and non-greasy fried onions, it actually tastes "light".

Italian “Porchetta” Pork Sandwich
    (Bone in, pork shoulder, slow roasted for 6 hours, encrusted in Italian herbs, served on French bread with basil mayo)
    This is the must-try item on the menu. This sandwich should be a Chicago thing. Once in a while you get a nice big lodge of fat that sends your eyeballs rolling back. With the herbs, it's like Thanksgiving, only better.

Rokko Pollo Sandwich
    (Char grilled chicken breast w/arugula, provolone cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, fresh basil & red onion on toasted garlic bread)
    To be honest, I ordered this newer item just to find something on the menu that wasn't good. Nope, this was great too. The flavors in this sandwich were bright and acidic and refreshing.

Big Ange's Eatery
    Tuesday-Saturday 11am-7pm
    640 W.Northwest Highway
    Arlington Heights, Il. 60004
  • Post #2 - March 16th, 2017, 1:11 pm
    Post #2 - March 16th, 2017, 1:11 pm Post #2 - March 16th, 2017, 1:11 pm
    those look gooooooood...thanks for the report!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #3 - March 16th, 2017, 1:22 pm
    Post #3 - March 16th, 2017, 1:22 pm Post #3 - March 16th, 2017, 1:22 pm
    I can see myself eating there :) Thanks for the heads up and pics, the tri-tip looks amazing!
    “There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi
  • Post #4 - March 16th, 2017, 3:09 pm
    Post #4 - March 16th, 2017, 3:09 pm Post #4 - March 16th, 2017, 3:09 pm
    I agree, those sandwiches look good! I see the menu says they smoke brisket, tri-tip, and rib tips in house. I'm curious about the brisket in particular. Thanks for the heads up!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #5 - March 21st, 2017, 12:56 pm
    Post #5 - March 21st, 2017, 12:56 pm Post #5 - March 21st, 2017, 12:56 pm
    I was out near Arlington Heights today and I remembered this thread, so I took Anko's advice and stopped in to Big Ange's for lunch. I really liked Big Ange's which, to me anyway, seemed like a cross between Big Guy's in Berwyn and Paradise Pup in Des Plaines, both of which are great shops (and GNR's) in their own right.

As soon as you walk in, two things strike you immediately. One - the guys working behind the counter are just regular Chicago guys who really have a passion for what they are doing, and Two - Big Ange is really into music, with various instruments and tributes adorning the walls of the joint.

But enough about how the place looks, how was the food? Pretty damn good!

I tried a hot dog, which was a natural casing Vienna. I ordered mine traditionally topped, with only mustard, relish, onions and peppers (I went a little crazy and got a pickle, too) and it was really good. It had a nice snap to it and wasn't over steamed. The only thing that might bother some is that the bun doesn't have poppy seeds. Not an issue for me, but I thought I'd mention it. The hot dog came with fries, which were hand cut at a small bore, so they are as thin as some fast food fries, but these were double fried to perfection.

Big Ange's Hot Dog & Fries

I also got to try the tri-tip sandwich, which was really the star of the show, in my book. This was a simple sandwich, with slices of medium rare tri-tip over a bed of "haystack" onions on a potato roll. I could eat this sandwich every day, if I had to. As Anko pointed out in his post, this sandwich was served sans sauce. Although that puts the meat and onions front and center, I actually think it could be improved with a little bit of horseradish sauce. (I can dream, can't I?)

Big Ange's Tri Tip Sandwich

I was going to try a sample of their brisket at the "BBQ Sample Window", but they were out today. Also on offer right now are some Lenten specials, including eggplant parm and pepper & egg sandwiches.

Big Ange's Eatery
    640 W. Northwest Highway
    Arlington Heights, Il 60004
    224-248-8644
    Closed Sunday & Monday
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - March 21st, 2017, 2:01 pm
    Post #6 - March 21st, 2017, 2:01 pm Post #6 - March 21st, 2017, 2:01 pm
    I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Interesting about the hot dog: when Big Ange's first opened, they originally only offered the depression-style hot dog on the menu. But then there were some early negative reviews on Yelp about that ("AVOID: NOT A REAL CHICAGO HOT DOG!"), and maybe it pressured them to change while they were trying to build a following. I hope that as they become more successful, they'll stick to their guns and go back.

One more thing I forgot to mention: the lemonade is really good. They mix in some orange that gives it a really refreshing taste.
  • Post #7 - March 24th, 2017, 12:30 am
    Post #7 - March 24th, 2017, 12:30 am Post #7 - March 24th, 2017, 12:30 am
    Finally made our maiden run to Big Ange's today. Tried the Double Cheeseburger, substituting ketchup and regular mustard for the Dijon mustard mayo, and the Brisket "Burnt Ends" (quotes are theirs, but no argument from me) sandwich. I'll confirm the spectacularity of the Double Cheeseburger. Solid beefy flavor cuts through the condiments. Excellent fresh cut fries.

The Brisket "Burnt Ends" sandwich was good but less than stellar. Biggest problem was, the brisket was too lean. This resulted in a very dry sandwich. A dab or two of BBQ Sauce helped that problem. Also, the smoke flavor was there, but it was kinda weird. Not artificial, mind you, just not quite right.

I have a writer friend in Kansas City who literally wrote the book on KC 'Que. He has some rules about how to tell a good Greasehouse from a bad one before you even walk in. Among those rules is the ability to smell smoke. So here's the weird part, and why this comment is relevant: No smoke scent outside the building or in the main dining room/kitchen area. But a quick trip to the men's room provided a good whiff of smoky aroma. I suppose given the other possible odors I could have been faced with, this was the preferable option. Still, a bit odd.

Even with the disappointing Brisket Sandwich, the Burger and Fries were so good, and the other menu items look so intriguing, a return trip is definitely in the works.

Buddy
  • Post #8 - March 24th, 2017, 12:44 pm
    Post #8 - March 24th, 2017, 12:44 pm Post #8 - March 24th, 2017, 12:44 pm
    I'll confirm the spectacularity of the Double Cheeseburger.

Banner quote!

(although I'm still very fond of the "ennui mushrooms," which tasted of "nothingness.")
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #9 - March 24th, 2017, 3:14 pm
    Post #9 - March 24th, 2017, 3:14 pm Post #9 - March 24th, 2017, 3:14 pm
    Really? That makes the cut, but my comment about the hickory smoke scent of the men's room isn't banner material?

You people have changed. You used to be cool. I don't even know who you are anymore.

Buddy
  • Post #10 - March 24th, 2017, 3:27 pm
    Post #10 - March 24th, 2017, 3:27 pm Post #10 - March 24th, 2017, 3:27 pm
    Sorry, Buddy. You lost me at men's room.
  • Post #11 - March 24th, 2017, 4:50 pm
    Post #11 - March 24th, 2017, 4:50 pm Post #11 - March 24th, 2017, 4:50 pm
    John & Rocco, owners of Big Ange's Eatery are proud graduates of Hot Dog University. I am so very proud of their accomplishments and wish them all the best. Their double cheeseburger is spectacular, as Buddy noted.

CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #12 - September 15th, 2017, 2:05 pm
    Post #12 - September 15th, 2017, 2:05 pm Post #12 - September 15th, 2017, 2:05 pm
    Based on a small sign inside the restaurant, Big Ange's will appear on Chicago's Best on September 24th.
  • Post #13 - September 15th, 2017, 4:07 pm
    Post #13 - September 15th, 2017, 4:07 pm Post #13 - September 15th, 2017, 4:07 pm
    Katie wrote:although I'm still very fond of the "ennui mushrooms," which tasted of "nothingness."

All due respect, Buddy, that's a much funnier line.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #14 - October 8th, 2017, 8:46 pm
    Post #14 - October 8th, 2017, 8:46 pm Post #14 - October 8th, 2017, 8:46 pm
    As a result of the Chicago Best episode, I gave this place a try. I had the Porchetta sandwich. A real tasty sandwich. There could have been a little more meat in it. I was not impressed with the basil-mayo. Luckily I got it on the side.

Fries were fresh cut and great. They gave me more than I could eat. I'd recommend you bring a friend.

They were also passing around samples of a sponge cake dessert. They told me they were thinking about adding it to the menu. I thought it was excellent.

D.
  • Post #15 - October 9th, 2017, 9:24 am
    Post #15 - October 9th, 2017, 9:24 am Post #15 - October 9th, 2017, 9:24 am
    dodger wrote:I had the Porchetta sandwich. A real tasty sandwich. There could have been a little more meat in it.

I had a similar experience with the porchetta on my last visit. There definitely was less meat compared to the many times I had enjoyed the sandwich in the past. If they're experimenting with making the sandwich a little more cost-effective, I hope that they consider just raising the price instead. Because it was a spectacular sandwich with the original meat/bread/mayo ratio.
  • Post #16 - October 9th, 2017, 4:13 pm
    Post #16 - October 9th, 2017, 4:13 pm Post #16 - October 9th, 2017, 4:13 pm
    I went to Big Ange's for the first time a couple weeks ago when I had a couple hours to kill in Arlington Heights. The porchetta I had then, at least, was just stuffed with meat, so much so that I could barely finish it. It was the most delicious sandwich I've had in recent memory, although next time I would hold the mayo, because the sandwich was rich enough without it. It basically was exactly what I expected it to be (from seeing the pictures online, though not from the name): like a porky version of Italian beef. I am sometimes a little weary of sandwiches with braised meat in them, as I've often gotten stuck with overcooked meat that, while swimming in sauce, is stringy, but there was no problem here. Soft, juicy meat, perfectly cooked, richly seasoned, wet, sloppy, delicious.
  • Post #17 - December 20th, 2017, 4:02 pm
    Post #17 - December 20th, 2017, 4:02 pm Post #17 - December 20th, 2017, 4:02 pm
    I passed Big Ange's dozens of times while it was under construction, but then life changed, and it has now taken me a while to get there, now that it is open. But today was the day. I was leaning toward the burger, as it has gotten some good press in this thread. But there was a "Barbecue Sampling Station" set up, and the BBQ was so good, I had to have it. I had a brisket sandwich and my friend had the smoked tri-tip. Both were amazingly good.

Oh -- and I told them they ought to check out LTHForum. I'll be keeping an eye open for the next time we have GNR nominations -- unless someone beats me to it. Nice people, great food -- just not much parking and limited seating, so not a place for a leisurely meal -- but worth the effort.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #18 - December 20th, 2017, 7:00 pm
    Post #18 - December 20th, 2017, 7:00 pm Post #18 - December 20th, 2017, 7:00 pm
    Before it was Big Ange's it was Jimmy's Place. Growing up nearby, on the nights my father had to work late, he would bring home Jimmy's to make it up to us kids for not being there. It was such a big part of our family history that the Pastor even mentioned Jimmy's during my mom's eulogy. To say that Jimmy's Place has a soft spot in my heart would not even begin to cover it.

Sounds like Big Ange's is great and I'm relieved. It would have sucked if it sucked.
  • Post #19 - December 21st, 2017, 10:43 pm
    Post #19 - December 21st, 2017, 10:43 pm Post #19 - December 21st, 2017, 10:43 pm
    cleanplateclub wrote:Before it was Big Ange's it was Jimmy's Place. Growing up nearby, on the nights my father had to work late, he would bring home Jimmy's to make it up to us kids for not being there. It was such a big part of our family history that the Pastor even mentioned Jimmy's during my mom's eulogy. To say that Jimmy's Place has a soft spot in my heart would not even begin to cover it.

Sounds like Big Ange's is great and I'm relieved. It would have sucked if it sucked.

Great memories. And I agree -- it would have been awful if the place had gone downhill. But if you visit, while it won't be the same, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

• Post #20 - February 6th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    Post #20 - February 6th, 2018, 1:40 pm Post #20 - February 6th, 2018, 1:40 pm
    New item: Pastrami. A great addition. Meat is very peppery and falls apart.

• Post #21 - April 23rd, 2019, 5:04 pm
    Post #21 - April 23rd, 2019, 5:04 pm Post #21 - April 23rd, 2019, 5:04 pm
    Anko wrote:New item: Pastrami. A great addition. Meat is very peppery and falls apart.
    I wish I had viewed your photo of the pastrami before I went today as I would have ordered. Oh well after our visit today, I'll be back.

I picked up lunch for my sales team:
    2 of the Sausage Eggplant sandwiches
    1/2lb of the brisket
    2 Porchetta sandwiches
    2 brisket sandwiches
    Side: mac and cheese w/bacon and mac n cheese

I had to hop in a meeting when I brought the order into the office so I did not get to see any of the sandwiches other than the porchetta I ordered.

Team gave raves for the brisket sandwich and the eggplant & sausage, as well as for the mac n cheese sides.

Myself and the teammate who ordered the porchetta sandwiches, were pleased with our sandwich but lamented that this isn't a "true" porchetta (another reason to view LTH before trying a place as I would have seen Anko's photo of the porchetta sandwich in the original post).

I did get to try a bite of the brisket, quite tender and very good smoke flavor.

As mentioned above, I'll for sure be back to try other items.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #22 - April 23rd, 2019, 5:59 pm
    Post #22 - April 23rd, 2019, 5:59 pm Post #22 - April 23rd, 2019, 5:59 pm
    I just had lunch there today, along with a couple of friends who'd never been there before. I had the smoked tri-tip sandwich, one friend had the smoked wagyu sandwich, and the third in our trio had the hamburger -- all outstanding. We split an order of French fries three ways -- and couldn't quite finish them -- so a very generous portion. Skin on, fried dark, nice mix of crispy and soft, but definitely needed salt or ketchup. Always nice, when you have to suggest a lunch spot, to know that pretty much everyone will be happy.

Didn't get it, but today's special was grilled cheese stuffed with salami. They are definitely into big flavor. :)

We were amused to note that the big-screen TV was tuned to the Food Channel.

• Post #23 - June 24th, 2021, 10:08 pm
    Post #23 - June 24th, 2021, 10:08 pm Post #23 - June 24th, 2021, 10:08 pm
    The problem I have with this place is deciding what to get, as there are several items that are serious favorites. Because I was ordering for several people today, I solved the problem by getting extra stuff, sharing, and planning on having leftovers. Sandwiches were the Rokko Pollo, which is amazing, and the burger, which is also outstanding. Then also got meat without bread, for those doing low carb -- so pulled pork and smoked brisket. The pulled pork vanished before I got a chance to try it, but the brisket was heavenly. Coleslaw was nice but might have preferred it a bit zippier. But it vanished quickly, so no one was unhappy with it. Don't know that this is a destination place, but if you're anywhere nearby, it's a mighty fine place to eat.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more